New Guild Wars 2 video. (Update: Now with GS interview.)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

Not very informative but pretty damn cool. :P Check it out.

There is an accompanying blog post here.

Update: There is also a short interview with this very site here.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

Looks pretty awesome. We'll see how it comes together, I've been burned by MMO hype too many times.

That being said, GW1 was good.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Oh man it looks amazing!!!!!!!!

Oh wait...it is the same thing that they advertise about Tabula Rasa and it turned out to be a failure...

Oh is the same hype like Aion got and it turned out to be a failure...

Oh this is NcSoft,the company who left Lineage 2.... the best PVP/PVE MMO to die...

So yeah i dont care to much about what NcSoft is developing...i got screwed by them once to many times...

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StopThePresses

Oh wait...it is the same thing that they advertise about Tabula Rasa and it turned out to be a failure...

Oh this is NcSoft,the company who left Lineage 2.... the best PVP/PVE MMO to die...

So yeah i dont care to much about what NcSoft is developing...i got screwed by them once to many times...

rhazzy

Well, a key difference is that I rather like the first Guild Wars. In fact, while I used to like WoW more, Guild Wars has come to be enjoyable for longer for me. It's being made by ArenaNet. NCSoft is the publisher. The team working on Guild Wars 2 did not make those other games. If I can get a game that is like Guild Wars, but better, I'm all for it. For people who didn't like Guild Wars...this game may or may not be for them.

(And this is coming from a person who supports Ubisoft despite their recent history of garbage PC ports?)

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

hype level +1 i really hope arenanet delivers

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts

what are those little ratchet and clank things? Is it a playable race?

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 StopThePresses

what are those little ratchet and clank things? Is it a playable race?

bonafidetk

They are the Asura, and yes, they will be a playable race. They were introduced in the Eye of the North expansion. They are mostly arrogant intellectual types, and I've noticed almost all of them have four letter names. :P

While it would seem from the first game that they would mostly be casters or something, every profession will be available to every playable race.

bunnyocalypsee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bunnyocalypsee
Member since 2010 • 29 Posts
It is looking good :) I enjoyed the first Guild Wars very much, and I am inclined to agree it had more 'fun-playability' than WoW did, when it stood the test of time. However, I'm waiting on Final Fantasy 14 out of preference ha ha. :)
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StopThePresses

Kh1ndjal

I really like Guild Wars, but I have certain issues with the way certain things were handled, and thus far, they have indicated that they are addressing each and every one one of those issues in rather significant ways. The one thing that really drove me bananas probably more than anything was getting to a place and then realizing that the build you have set up is absolutely abysmal for that particular area, so back to town you go, and they have definitely gone way beyond addressing that. Not only will every character be able to change half of their skill bar by swapping weapons, but you will also be able to change other skills whenever not in combat. It might sound like a little thing, but all of the ways they have reworked the skill system just sound rather huge (in the context of comparison to the first game) in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 deactivated-5bf8c1fbe8a0f
Member since 2004 • 1036 Posts
I feel that the mmo community is due for one solid launch and Guild Wars 2 could make it happen. Tera and SWTOR are also contenders but I really see Arenanet pulling this one off.
GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Sweetness! Can't wait!!!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

rhazzy
No, NCSoft is the distributor, not the CREATOR of the game. So just cause Lineage or AION turned bad, it has nothing to do with GW2.... As for my personal opinion: It looks amazing, but I think it's promising TOO MUCH. Like that your decision ALONE will change a village....yeah great, but I just don't see it happening. So what, a casual player then will never change anything, cause when he gets somewhere some other player would have changed it already...
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Looks intriguing. I just hope they deliver what they set out to do :)
rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

Oh well i didnt know it was not developed by NcSoft...i saw the NcSoft logo and blood raised up in my brain...

I would love to see that GW2 is something else(not only hype) and i will certainly play it...but i will not do the same mistake i did with Aion a rush for a subscription/beta before the game comes out...

P.S. Wasnt this chick(from the gw2 trailer)on the Aion NA developers team...maybe iam mistaken...

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="rhazzy"]

FelipeInside

No, NCSoft is the distributor, not the CREATOR of the game.
So just cause Lineage or AION turned bad, it has nothing to do with GW2....

As for my personal opinion:

It looks amazing, but I think it's promising TOO MUCH.
Like that your decision ALONE will change a village....yeah great, but I just don't see it happening.
So what, a casual player then will never change anything, cause when he gets somewhere some other player would have changed it already...

They already explained in a previous article. It doesn't change it permanently, just for a substantial amount of time. Eventually some other event can happen that will put things back to whatever state they were in before. The main idea seems to be that people don't see the same content with every character every time. The other point seems to be to provide spots where players work together, as they are using it in place of a traditional quest system. They also said that events will scale by the number of players participating in them.

Obviously it doesn't make sense that people would routinely be able to change parts of the world permanently in a MMORPG. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense from a practical standpoint.

The event system is hardly one of my main reasons for wanting the game, but it sounds more interesting than traditional quests at least. There will still be instanced stuff for some of the more challenging content for organized groups.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

looks cool

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="rhazzy"]

StopThePresses

Like that your decision ALONE will change a village....yeah great, but I just don't see it happening.
So what, a casual player then will never change anything, cause when he gets somewhere some other player would have changed it already...

They already explained in a previous article. It doesn't change it permanently, just for a substantial amount of time. Eventually some other event can happen that will put things back to whatever state they were in before. The main idea seems to be that people don't see the same content with every character every time. The other point seems to be to provide spots where players work together, as they are using it in place of a traditional quest system. They also said that events will scale by the number of players participating in them.

Obviously it doesn't make sense that people would routinely be able to change parts of the world permanently in a MMORPG. That wouldn't make a whole lot of sense from a practical standpoint.

The event system is hardly one of my main reasons for wanting the game, but it sounds more interesting than traditional quests at least. There will still be instanced stuff for some of the more challenging content for organized groups.

So basically they have made the respawn time longer than other MMOs....?

I wouldn't really call that innovative...

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

So what, a casual player then will never change anything, cause when he gets somewhere some other player would have changed it already...FelipeInside

No. I'm not going to go through and explain all of the old articles in elaborate detail. You can look them up if you want. I'm sure they do a better job of explaining it than I will.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

rhazzy

Lineage 2 was lame, and old.

Also they are the publisher...so yea ur smart..??

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

The event system is hardly one of my main reasons for wanting the game, but it sounds more interesting than traditional quests at least. There will still be instanced stuff for some of the more challenging content for organized groups.StopThePresses

No. I'm not going to go through and explain all of the old articles in elaborate detail. You can look them up if you want. I'm sure they do a better job of explaining it than I will.

Yeah fair enough...

I am not bashing the game, this will be day 1 purchase for me. But I remember reading the developer diaries for AION, and they were exactly the same as GW2, and look how that turned out, so understand my skepticism...

halokillerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 halokillerz
Member since 2004 • 3406 Posts

im basing my hype off gw1 and how they improved the game vastly with each/most campaign or expansion pack, and not solely on vids. So i hope they will be able to improve greatly for gw2 from an already good game in my books.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"]

StopThePresses

I really like Guild Wars, but I have certain issues with the way certain things were handled, and thus far, they have indicated that they are addressing each and every one one of those issues in rather significant ways. The one thing that really drove me bananas probably more than anything was getting to a place and then realizing that the build you have set up is absolutely abysmal for that particular area, so back to town you go, and they have definitely gone way beyond addressing that. Not only will every character be able to change half of their skill bar by swapping weapons, but you will also be able to change other skills whenever not in combat. It might sound like a little thing, but all of the ways they have reworked the skill system just sound rather huge (in the context of comparison to the first game) in general.

i can see where you're coming from. this happened to me a few times, but then i made a habit of asking guildies exactly what is required in each area which helped a lot and then i never really thought about it. i'm hoping they release more details on the pvp. i believe that's one of the main areas they haven't released much info on.
Yoshi25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Yoshi25
Member since 2004 • 4488 Posts

I loved GW and this looks like GW + improvements. I cannot wait! I just wished they'd give some sort of tentative release date...at least for a beta or something. Either way, I'm going to be upgrading my PC just for this game.

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StopThePresses

im basing my hype off gw1 and how they improved the game vastly with each/most campaign or expansion pack, and not solely on vids. So i hope they will be able to improve greatly for gw2 from an already good game in my books.

halokillerz
Yeah, the campaigns have gotten progressively better, and the Eye of the North expansion did some interesting things. If you look at the game now and look at what it was when the first campaign was released, a lot has changed for the better. Everything just feels more varied and more polished and even a little more cinematic in some ways.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 StopThePresses

[QUOTE="StopThePresses"]

[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"]

Kh1ndjal

i can see where you're coming from. this happened to me a few times, but then i made a habit of asking guildies exactly what is required in each area which helped a lot and then i never really thought about it. i'm hoping they release more details on the pvp. i believe that's one of the main areas they haven't released much info on.

Yeah, I tend to look up an area on the official wiki beforehand if I'm doing hard mode vanquishing or it it's a dungeon or something, so that I at least know what kind of mobs I'm going to be facing. Ideally that wouldn't be necessary though.

IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
What the hell does Areanet have to do with all the other games sucking? It isn't even NCsofts fault. NCsoft is just like "good idea.... makes me lots o' money... here money do good idea." If this is f2p I will totally buy it. If not kotor takes priority. Areanet is fine and dandy but BIOWARE.
StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 StopThePresses

What the hell does Areanet have to do with all the other games sucking? It isn't even NCsofts fault. NCsoft is just like "good idea.... makes me lots o' money... here money do good idea."

If this is f2p I will totally buy it. If not kotor takes priority. Areanet is fine and dandy but BIOWARE.IvanElk

It won't have a subscription fee. They have been very adamant about that. (F2P isn't really the same thing. Those are games that you don't even have to buy to play.)

Of course, one thing Guild Wars did was give you a rather limited number of character slots and then charged money for additional ones. I'll take that over a subscription fee though. I think the pricing on their additional item storage tabs (that they added years after the game released) was a bit proposterous since it costed as much as a character slot and a character holds more items. I guess some people will pay for the slight convenience though. I was pretty annoyed with the silly pricing on those, but it really isn't that big of a deal. I just do without them like I did all the years they weven't available anyway. :P