Need some advice on buying new headphones

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I'm looking to spend around $200 for some new headphones, but I'm not sure which route I should take. I do not mind if whether or not they are on ear or over ear, but I would prefer them to be open back. My uses for them are for gaming and music (mainly hard rock, metal, and electronic) so I would like if they had a solid bass since the music I listen to is often bass heavy.

Another question I had was whether I should buy an external sound card (I don't have any more expansion slot left on my PC), a dedicated headphone amplifier, or plug them into my Receiver (Onkyo ST-3400).

One's that I have already looked at include:

Sennheiser 598 (Or the 558s)

Ultrasone HFI-780

Audio Technica AD700

I'm open to any other suggestons though since I am not that knowledgeable about headphones.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Open and bass-heavy don't really go together.

Bozanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

#4 Bozanimal
Member since 2003 • 2500 Posts
Open-backed a bass-heavy would limit your selection to the Beyerdynamic DT880 and, preferably, the HiFiMan HE-400. Honestly, that's about it if you want extra bass bump, otherwise you'll need to augment your listening experience with some tactile transducers attached to your seating arrangement (e.g. Aura Basshakers). Good luck, Boz
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="Bozanimal"]Open-backed a bass-heavy would limit your selection to the Beyerdynamic DT880 and, preferably, the HiFiMan HE-400. Honestly, that's about it if you want extra bass bump, otherwise you'll need to augment your listening experience with some tactile transducers attached to your seating arrangement (e.g. Aura Basshakers). Good luck, Boz

DT880 is not bass-heavy at all(I have one)
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BPoole96
I didn't know open back and bass don't go together, I had read that open back tends to have superior sound quality. I suppose closed back is fine then.
Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

I have a pair of Klipsch S4s and they're awesome. They're in-ear and have a frequency response of 10Hz-19KHz. The bass is great. I recommend plugging them into the receiver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826779006

http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4-black-in-ear-headphones

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BPoole96

I have a pair of Klipsch S4s and they're awesome. They're in-ear and have a frequency response of 10Hz-19KHz. The bass is great. I recommend plugging them into the receiver.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826779006

http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4-black-in-ear-headphones

Barujin

I actually have those but they are for my ipod. The wire on them is not long enough to reach me from my receiver and I would prefer having headphones rather than ear buds.

Thanks though, they are excellent earbuds though :)

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Wolfetan
I didn't know open back and bass don't go together, I had read that open back tends to have superior sound quality. I suppose closed back is fine then.BPoole96
OH, I forgot man! Sorry. Grab some Beyerdynamic DT990's.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GU77SC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360204477&sr=8-2&keywords=dj1

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-PRO-900-Professional-Headphones/dp/B001F00F0E/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360204824&sr=1-1&keywords=pro900

Either of these.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BPoole96

http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-DJ1-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B000GU77SC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1360204477&sr=8-2&keywords=dj1

Bikouchu35

OH, I forgot man! Sorry. Grab some Beyerdynamic DT990's.Wolfetan

I'll check out some reviews for each of these.

Any suggestions as far as how I should set these up? I have an Astro Mixamp that I could plug them into (which I am iffy on the actual quality of since I can barely tell the difference in sound clarity compared to plugging headphones into my motherboard)), or I could buy an FiiO E9 Desktop amp (which I would have to connect to my PC using a 3.5mm jack since my optical-in is being used by my receiver), or I could plug them into my receiver using the 1/4 jack on the front of it.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

BPoole96

OH, I forgot man! Sorry. Grab some Beyerdynamic DT990's.Wolfetan

Any suggestions as far as how I should set these up? I have an Astro Mixamp that I could plug them into (which I am iffy on the actual quality of since I can barely tell the difference in sound clarity compared to plugging headphones into my motherboard)), or I could buy an FiiO E9 Desktop amp (which I would have to connect to my PC using a 3.5mm jack since my optical-in is being used by my receiver), or I could plug them into my receiver using the 1/4 jack on the front of it.

Plug into reciever, used taht saved money to get the DT990.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"] [QUOTE="Wolfetan"]OH, I forgot man! Sorry. Grab some Beyerdynamic DT990's.Wolfetan

I suppose I could always test out the sound from my receiver and my mixamp, and if I feel I could do better, I could always buy a desktop amp down the line. I had read that receivers have poor headphones amps so I was a bit cautious.

Thanks for your input :)

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

I suppose I could always test out the sound from my receiver and my mixamp, and if I feel I could do better, I could always buy a desktop amp down the line. I had read that receivers have poor headphones amps so I was a bit cautious.

Thanks for oyur inout :)

My Denon AVR21 is great. Drives ortho's amazingly, since it has 90 watts of power:shock:
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BPoole96

So I'm looking at those DT990s and there have different Ohms. From what I understand, the 32ohm version will sound better without an amp or anything, while the 250ohm version would sound better with an amp. Would buying the 250ohm DT990 Pros be a wiser choice. On Amazon, the Pro 250ohm version is $180 cheaper than the 32ohm version. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024NK344/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=headpreviehea-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0024NK344

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

http://www.head-fi.org/t/527451/ultrasone-pro-900-appreciation-thread

I will start by saying the bass the Pro 900s provide is phenomenal.  It reaches deep, has great texture and definition, and always maintains solid impact.  The D2000s and DT990s, while both bass oriented cans, cannot touch the bass the Pro 900s produce.  The bass lines in Trance and Drum & Bass have never sounded so amazing.  The best part about the bass in these cans is that, despite its exaggeration, Ive never found it to encroach upon the mids or affect the rest of the spectrum.  It always remains well separated and defined, a trait that is hard to find in headphones.

I whole heartedly recommend them to anyone who listens to Electronica, Hip Hop, or Metal, and wants some amazing bass without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum.  A warning though:  Ive read on these forums that many people think the Pro 900s have a strange tonality and really dislike their sound signature. For certain genres, I agree.  I DO NOT recommend these if you listen to jazz, classical, or anything were a very natural presentation is needed.

This is why I am dying to upgrade to these.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BPoole96

I will start by saying the bass the Pro 900s provide is phenomenal.  It reaches deep, has great texture and definition, and always maintains solid impact.  The D2000s and DT990s, while both bass oriented cans, cannot touch the bass the Pro 900s produce.  The bass lines in Trance and Drum & Bass have never sounded so amazing.  The best part about the bass in these cans is that, despite its exaggeration, Ive never found it to encroach upon the mids or affect the rest of the spectrum.  It always remains well separated and defined, a trait that is hard to find in headphones.

I whole heartedly recommend them to anyone who listens to Electronica, Hip Hop, or Metal, and wants some amazing bass without sacrificing the rest of the spectrum.  A warning though:  Ive read on these forums that many people think the Pro 900s have a strange tonality and really dislike their sound signature. For certain genres, I agree.  I DO NOT recommend these if you listen to jazz, classical, or anything were a very natural presentation is needed.

Bikouchu35

Damn those seem like they would fit my needs as well, but they are a bit out of my price range :(

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

BPoole96

Damn those seem like they would fit my needs as well, but they are a bit out of my price range :(

250 ohm is fine with the reciever. Honestly, make a Head-Fi account real quick, and PM Malveaux, he has never dissapoined me with his headphone recommendations. He recommended me the Beyer DT880, and guess what? I love 'em. http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux look at how many headphones he has, thats just insane. Also amps. There was even a thread about Malveaux lovers a while ago on Head-Fi:P
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

Wolfetan

250 ohm is fine with the reciever. Honestly, make a Head-Fi account real quick, and PM Malveaux, he has never dissapoined me with his headphone recommendations. He recommended me the Beyer DT880, and guess what? I love 'em. http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux look at how many headphones he has, thats just insane. Also amps. There was even a thread about Malveaux lovers a while ago on Head-Fi:P

Just sent him a PM. He does have an insane amount of headphones :P

I wish I could go to his place and test them all lol

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Wolfetan

BPoole96

Nice man! I'd love to know what he recommends. Just counted; he only has 51 headphones..:shock: :P 

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Wolfetan"] 250 ohm is fine with the reciever. Honestly, make a Head-Fi account real quick, and PM Malveaux, he has never dissapoined me with his headphone recommendations. He recommended me the Beyer DT880, and guess what? I love 'em. http://www.head-fi.org/u/179563/malveaux look at how many headphones he has, thats just insane. Also amps. There was even a thread about Malveaux lovers a while ago on Head-Fi:PWolfetan

Nice man! I'd love to know what he recommends. Just counted; he only has 51 headphones..:shock: :P 

I'll make sure to repost in this thread once I have made a choice and have the headphones in my possession. Thank you for your help!

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BPoole96

Just ordered the DT990s :D

B&H Photo had them for $180

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Wolfetan

BPoole96
Did he recommend that?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Wolfetan
Did he recommend that?

I told him that was one of the ones I had been suggested before, and he agreed that they are very good and would suit my needs perfectly. He did recommend some others but after looking at some of the reviews for others, comfort seemed to not be as good and some didnt have as good of a bass. He also spoke highly of the Sony MA900s but they were $25 more than the DT990s and he had also recommended that I get the Creative Sound Blaster Zx in a few months which is another $130 so I'm a bit over my budget. For now I'm just going to have it plugged into my receiver.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wolfetan

BPoole96
Did he recommend that?

I told him that was one of the ones I had been suggested before, and he agreed that they are very good and would suit my needs perfectly. He did recommend some others but after looking at some of the reviews for others, comfort seemed to not be as good and some didnt have as good of a bass. He also spoke highly of the Sony MA900s but they were $25 more than the DT990s and he had also recommended that I get the Creative Sound Blaster Zx in a few months which is another $130 so I'm a bit over my budget. For now I'm just going to have it plugged into my receiver.

Nice man, how many ohms is your DT990?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Did he recommend that?Wolfetan

They're the 250ohm version. For whatever reason, the 32 and 600ohm versions were $380. I would be using them with an amp anyway so I didn't need the 32ohm version and my amp is not good enough to take advantage of the 600ohm version.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] I told him that was one of the ones I had been suggested before, and he agreed that they are very good and would suit my needs perfectly. He did recommend some others but after looking at some of the reviews for others, comfort seemed to not be as good and some didnt have as good of a bass. He also spoke highly of the Sony MA900s but they were $25 more than the DT990s and he had also recommended that I get the Creative Sound Blaster Zx in a few months which is another $130 so I'm a bit over my budget. For now I'm just going to have it plugged into my receiver.

They're the 250ohm version. For whatever reason, the 32 and 600ohm versions were $380. I would be using them with an amp anyway so I didn't need the 32ohm version and my amp is not good enough to take advantage of the 600ohm version.

Gotcha. Hope you like them man! Glad Mal could help you:D He always helps me anyways.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Nice man, how many ohms is your DT990? Wolfetan

Gotcha. Hope you like them man! Glad Mal could help you:D He always helps me anyways.

Yeah he's really knowledgeable about audio stuff. He gave me a whole explanation on the different impetency levels and what kind of equipment you should use which each level. He also gave me like 4 different solutions as far as internal sound cards, amps, DACs, using my receiver for different stuff. It took me like an hour to read through his response and research all of the different routes I could take setting it up.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] They're the 250ohm version. For whatever reason, the 32 and 600ohm versions were $380. I would be using them with an amp anyway so I didn't need the 32ohm version and my amp is not good enough to take advantage of the 600ohm version.

Yeah he's really knowledgeable about audio stuff. He gave me a whole explanation on the different impetency levels and what kind of equipment you should use which each level. He also gave me like 4 different solutions as far as internal sound cards, amps, DACs, using my receiver for different stuff. It took me like an hour to read through his response and research all of the different routes I could take setting it up.

Haha, so indepth. Well, report back here to see how your DT990's are!:D
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Gotcha. Hope you like them man! Glad Mal could help you:D He always helps me anyways.Wolfetan

Will do. Somehow the tracking number is telling me it will arrive tomorrow night, but I won't be back home until late Saturday night. It's going to make work pretty much unbearable knowing that I have that waiting for me when I get home :P
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Yeah he's really knowledgeable about audio stuff. He gave me a whole explanation on the different impetency levels and what kind of equipment you should use which each level. He also gave me like 4 different solutions as far as internal sound cards, amps, DACs, using my receiver for different stuff. It took me like an hour to read through his response and research all of the different routes I could take setting it up.

Will do. Somehow the tracking number is telling me it will arrive tomorrow night, but I won't be back home until late Saturday night. It's going to make work pretty much unbearable knowing that I have that waiting for me when I get home :P

:P What headphone/speakers do you have right now?
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] Haha, so indepth. Well, report back here to see how your DT990's are!:DWolfetan

For speakers I have the Onkyo ST3400 5.1, a pair of Astro A30s from a few years back, a Sennheiser PC161 headset, and then for my iPod I have the Bose Earbuds and the Klipsch Image S4s. I currently do not use the Astros since the mic on them is crap so I replaced them with the Sennheisers which sound better and have a better mic. The only problem is they literally have no bass at all so while games and music still sound good, they're really missing any type of bass which I like. I didn't want closed back headphones and risk having an overbearing bass like some of the ones I have tried in stores.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] Will do. Somehow the tracking number is telling me it will arrive tomorrow night, but I won't be back home until late Saturday night. It's going to make work pretty much unbearable knowing that I have that waiting for me when I get home :P

For speakers I have the Onkyo ST3400 5.1, a pair of Astro A30s from a few years back, a Sennheiser PC161 headset, and then for my iPod I have the Bose Earbuds and the Klipsch Image S4s. I currently do not use the Astros since the mic on them is crap so I replaced them with the Sennheisers which sound better and have a better mic. The only problem is they literally have no bass at all so while games and music still sound good, they're really missing any type of bass which I like. I didn't want closed back headphones and risk having an overbearing bass like some of the ones I have tried in stores.

Oh, well get ready to be surprised. You'll be blown away by the DT990's seeing your audio experiences so far.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"] :P What headphone/speakers do you have right now?Wolfetan

Oh, well get ready to be surprised. You'll be blown away by the DT990's seeing your audio experiences so far.

I figured as much. It's frustrating to see that with all the money I have spent on low to mid-low range headphones that I could have just bought a really nice set awhile ago and have been done with it :P
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Wolfetan
[QUOTE="BPoole96"][QUOTE="Wolfetan"][QUOTE="BPoole96"] For speakers I have the Onkyo ST3400 5.1, a pair of Astro A30s from a few years back, a Sennheiser PC161 headset, and then for my iPod I have the Bose Earbuds and the Klipsch Image S4s. I currently do not use the Astros since the mic on them is crap so I replaced them with the Sennheisers which sound better and have a better mic. The only problem is they literally have no bass at all so while games and music still sound good, they're really missing any type of bass which I like. I didn't want closed back headphones and risk having an overbearing bass like some of the ones I have tried in stores.

I figured as much. It's frustrating to see that with all the money I have spent on low to mid-low range headphones that I could have just bought a really nice set awhile ago and have been done with it :P

Thats the best part! Climbing up the ladder!
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BPoole96

Ending up not having to work tonight so I was home when the package came in

k7fuRCQ.jpg

They sound AMAZING! Even better that they are incredibly comfortable and I feel like I could forget that I am even wearing headphones lol

Thanks for your help Wolftan!

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wolfetan

I'm glad you like them! Yes, tehy are incredibly comfortable, I own the DT880's. If you think the clamp is too much on the Pro's(Theres a Pro and Premium version) you can stretch them out over a couple of books:D