Need A PC Gamers Opinion/Help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Vodoo
Member since 2003 • 3691 Posts

I'm a long time console gamer, like 25 years gaming, and just got my first powerful laptop to start playing PC games every once in a while (along with my X1 of course mlm). I already ran the HDMI cable from the computer through the walls and ceiling to pop out behind the 55" tv. I got what I think is a capable pc. I just need some info if I'll be able to play demanding games like they should be played and what games it won't be able to handle (just new pc games). Here's the list of specs off the box...

- 4th Gen Intel Core i7-4700HQ with 6MB L3 Cache and 2.4GHz Processor with Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz

- Nvidia GTX 765M Graphics Chip with 2GB GDDR5 Dedicated Video Memory

- 8GB DDR3 Memory, expandable to 32GB

- 1TB Hard Drive

- Windows 8 64-bit

- 4 USB 3.0 Ports

- 1 Thunderbolt Port

- HDMI Out

- Gigabit Wired/Wireless-ac

- Bluetooth 4.0

- 17.3" LED Backlit TFT-LCD Display

- DVD +/- RW Drive, Media Reader & Built-In 1.0MP Webcam.

Most of this is like reading Chinese to me. I know the stuff on the bottom half of the list, but the processor and graphics card and L3 something or other... I just need help determining what I can and can't do with this. Thanx for the help.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

You should have went with a desktop. Thats all I have to say. no offense

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Vodoo

@_SKatEDiRt_: I needed a laptop. So I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. And WHY should I have went with a desktop?

marco1k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4 marco1k1
Member since 2004 • 163 Posts

@Vodoo: Although he wasn't tactful in the response desktops are generally recommend because of their lower cost for better performance and (mostly) easily upgradable/replaceable parts.

However, looking at the specs of your laptop I'd say your good to go for most modern games, on at least high settings.

Like I say should be good but remember when using the TV as a monitor, the higher the resolution the more power you'll need to run it, keep it in mind as it could be the difference between 20 and 60 frames.

So basically don't be worried if you've gotta go below 1920x1080 for the most part you shouldn't see a big difference especially if you've been console gaming this generation.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Based on notebook check you can run every pc game smoothly as long you don't mind lowering resolution and or setting in some of the more demanding modern pc games. Its not the best pc gaming experience but will do the job quite well. As long your expectations are in check I think you'll be quite happy with how it performs in games.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M.92907.0.html

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@Vodoo said:

@_SKatEDiRt_: I needed a laptop. So I figured I'd kill 2 birds with one stone. And WHY should I have went with a desktop?

Desktops have better parts for cheaper, A LOT cheaper

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Yeah you should run all games probably on high settings.

Vodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Vodoo

Thanks guys. My new laptop actually came with an Intel Starter Pack of software. It came with 10 different things, 3 of which are free games from Steam. They gave me Civilization 5 with an expansion, Rome: Total War 2, and Grid 2. I haven't played them yet, but from what I read, they're pretty decent games. Pretty cool considering I had no idea about this stuff until I checked my email and saw this package from intel.

ninedot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 ninedot
Member since 2012 • 115 Posts

can i get a hooohaaa!?!