Mechwarrior for an MMO? yes/no?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Greywind88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Greywind88
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Maybe it is just me, but I am sick of all these vanilla, run-of-the-mill, repeated fantasy themes for MMO's. I think it is time for a new MMO. A lot of designers are reusing old games and turning them into MMO's, so lets take one of the best series of all time and make it into one. I am talking about Mechwarriors. No, not the mechassault game for the Xbox, but the real deal. The old style mech fighting goodness. Rather than looking to outfit your armor or weapons for your fighter/druid hybrid, you would instead be gathering up resources for those clan LRM20's for your Mad Cat (Timberwolf, for the old vets of the game).

As for races, it would be easy. Your character would belong to one of the families or groups of the Inner sphere or one of the clans. You could even choose to belong to one of the mercenary guilds. Add to it, this would provide so much backstory. There is a lot of literature already written about the series. As for combat, you could have PvP between Innersphere and clanners, but also between the individual factions. There could be full fledged wars that exist on the servers as planets are fought over by the different groups.

The combat should probably stay the same so in that way it would be more like an fps, with enough firepower to level a city block, but an fps none the less. With that, you could form groups to have as your lancemates. With online headphone links, you could actually formulate real strategies about how to handle each mission.

It still would need to be fleshed out a lot more and obviously some very daring company would have to pick it up because it would be quite the undertaking, but I think it could be a really good series and would help break up the monotony of the same old fantasy MMOrpgs. So, what do you think?

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I am intrigued by your idea and would like to hear more.  I always thought the Sci-fi setting was an untapped resource in the MMO genre, barring a few exceptions.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Its a great idea. I would play it.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#4 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
MW2: Mercenaries is the only evidence you need to show anybody that MMO in the Mechwarrior franchise would be beyond awesome. You could set up clans, hire mercs or hire members, buy or gather resources perform missions together and plan attacks on a given objective. It might be against a bots but it could just be against another clan. The game would have endless replay value, you could even customize mechs and the devs could add new mech models and weapons continuously. You could even set up a situations where a strategy player could play mech commander and tell all the mechs what to do

You might have your own base with resources and have people defend it, or defend your clan world

It would own, I'd buy it and love it.
Lukozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lukozer
Member since 2002 • 6286 Posts

I'm all for a new Mechwarrior game, but not an MMO...

speed1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 speed1
Member since 2005 • 655 Posts
Hell Yeah!.
BounceDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 BounceDK
Member since 2005 • 7388 Posts
As an mmofps .. Sure. mmorpg .. No way in hell. I hate those types of grind fun stopping games.
Dasc00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#8 Dasc00
Member since 2006 • 4308 Posts
More Mechwarrior! We need it!
AmmonMoley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AmmonMoley
Member since 2003 • 81 Posts
If FASA (or whichever gaming company currently owns the rights) would sign off, you would have something there.  They have tried, but too many programmers want to change the way/style of character generation every time they make a port to PC/Console that the game loses something in translation.  I feel that it not only be Mechs, but also the ground infantry and support.  A game that can be role-played as the game became in the mid 80's.  That way, you could develop a story line and make the game far more interesting.  Basically, use the old Mechwarrior RPG system to make the game.  A direct port and not some untried/untested system that bogs people down in too much data.  I'd play it for sure then.  Most of the MMO's now are far too easy IMHO to grind for the next 'level'.  I just tried out WOW last weekend and made a Druid up to 8th lvl in 8 hours.  If you're going to make it that easy, then is it really worth the money... even a monthly fee?  I don't think so.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I would play it, MMO or not. Been waiting for the next Mechwarrior game for a while now.
xenophone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xenophone
Member since 2004 • 251 Posts
 What is going on with this franchise anyway?  I think you have a good idea here, except that I think it would be tough to develope a mechwarrior mmo with enough variety to be really successful.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but off the top of my head it sounds pretty tough.  What about somthing like a GuildWars type model?  With mostly instanced questing and heavy PVP emphasis?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

The material is definately sufficient enough to fuel a full-on, MMO mechwarrior game.  A lot of history, factions, and story to warrant a game, for sure!

The question is, whether or not it should be an RPG.  I could swing both ways here.

If it were an RPG, I imagine you would start on your "backwater" home planet, doing jobs for your clan.  You start with a basic chassis with maybe a laser gun.  As you gain prowess and honor among your clan, you are asked to join the clan's army and this grants you access to different planets.  As you battle, you gain levels and then gain access to new and more powerful weapons.

If it were not an RPG, I imagine all you would have to do is earn money to buy upgrades.

Still, this definately sounds like a great idea.  Unfortunately, I dont see it happening...didnt microsfot and that other company get in a huuuuuuuuuuge fight over the Mech licensing and basically killed it?

albertafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 albertafox
Member since 2004 • 165 Posts
There was a online beta many many years ago for Battletech Solaris. It was more like a FPS with battles up to 5v5 and single duels. There where classes for light medium and heavy and recorded your win losses, gave ranks..

Its a concept that has not been tried to a full context with leveling, crafting, selling and skills and area design...

Although the platform that guildwars uses would problem match over the best sicne you can PvE to get skill and level up then use some type of  PvP championship/universal games as the end content.

I would be interested but it would have to have awsome enviorments and tacticaly sound.
cperry005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 cperry005
Member since 2005 • 490 Posts
Any Mech game is a good game to me.

I love Mechs!

Great idea!
MK_1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MK_1200
I would be all for a Mechwarrior MMO although I really doubt that anyone that is not a true fan would do justice to the game. As for story and background they could cast it in the new Darkage saga thats enough factions and contested planets to keep anyone happy. The only other thing I would want is that they include all the mechs that have been created (basic configs to start). I really got angry when Microsoft made Vengence and didn't even try to include some Classic IS mechs.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
i say yes, i think that could be nice and fun
Bsmakatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bsmakatau
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I say that it sounds intresting.  If you could scavenge a battle field and get new stuff and then swap parts from your mech that would be intresting.  Artifacts could be found either by raiding a science facility of some group and getting a new piece of gear, or you might stumble on one of those old star league stashes and get better equipment that way.

Either way there is potential.

As for RPG/ Leveling up would that basically translate to how well the pilot handled the mech and its systems?  Such as heat management, targeting, etc...

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
I would defiantly play it. There needs to be a new Mechwarrior or Mechcommander or something with Mechs.
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

We definitely need a new MW game. It should be an FPS (like MW3 or MW4). I see a little bit difficult the RPG part. I mean, you are the one behind the controls and aiming reticle, so there wont be a point in putting stats like "Accuracy", "Sensors", "Situational Awareness" or something like that...

But besides that, I think that it would be an experience like MW2 Mercenaries and MW4 Mercenaries: planet hopping, looking for contracts and things like that.

It would be awesome (as someone mentioned) to come across Star League stashes.

This idea looks very interesting

jaam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 jaam
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts

Boy did I love that game - came with AOL and you could even play it on dial-up with virtually no lag.

You even had unions within the armies. It was pretty cool and even though it was not the most graphically advanced game, the gameplay was pretty awesome and some of the concepts were pretty cool.

Always did wonder why AOL/Whoever pulled the plug on it - it was a pretty thriving community.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
No, mechwarrior imo wasn't even very good.. There were better series out there with large robots, such as Heavy Gear..
Sp33chM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Sp33chM4n
Member since 2007 • 498 Posts
How about making it like World War 2 Online, a massive map where sides fight against each other until someone wins and map is reset. That way it could easily include mechs, ground forces etc.
fatboyvinnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 fatboyvinnie
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts
IMO a single player mech game is pretty boring but as a MMO it would drive me crazy as it's too in depth to be an MMO
greed_1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 greed_1983
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts

No, mechwarrior imo wasn't even very good.. There were better series out there with large robots, such as Heavy Gear..sSubZerOo

???? HEavy Gear was Activitions responce to losing the Mechwarrior deal. It holds nothing to the Mechwarrior franchise.Besides the robots HELD their weapons(and i don't want to hear anyone say Battlemaster...i know).......WTF is that :-p

greed_1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 greed_1983

OMG. This would be the best MMO ever....IF it was done right. Unfortunately the Mechwarrior franchise has been riddled with political and licencing BS for years. I hate to say it but I doubt it would ever come to be. Even if the project started, the shear depth and scope would crush the final outcome, as I can guarantee infighting and vision conflict would ensue.

Oh how I can picture what the game could be. Imagine a fully 3D environment, much like WOW. You would be your character but have the option to be whatever you want.A ground unit, a tank commander, air support, and eventually, once you can afford it a mechwarrior. Imagine your in a ground skirmish. Tanks and hover vehicles are everywhere. The odd firefox or bushwacker run around but no big deal. Then suddenly out of the smoke emerges a Atlas. Keep in mind everything would be a to-scale fully 3D environment. Imagine being you, a little soldier...looking up at an atlas! Its insane! The Mechwarrior/Battletech universe has every element of a good MMO; A polished economy system, political,ratial & religious factions. Plus the most bad ass weapons and equipment ever. Plus a proven RP system. Unfortunatley no one could do it justice. Well I hope one day someone does but I won't be holding my breath...

Having said that, even if the concept taken from the original Battletech RPG could be translated into an online format, that would be incredible. Take the framework of the original, let your dude run around the bases etc, talk to people, take on missions, and then jump in your mech and run around the planet, or fly to another planet.

I think we need to start lobbying the right people here!8)

marc5477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 marc5477
Member since 2005 • 388 Posts
I actually didnt like the Mechwarrior games but I loved Heavy Gears which was somewhat along the same line... to bad it cant be played on Windows XP. Anyway I agree that we need more mech games.
loafimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 loafimus
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
I've been lurking these boards for about 2 years now and never felt the need to post anything here until now. It has been a dream of mine for someone to make a mmorpg based on the old Battletech games like the Creasent Hawk's Revenge. Hell, I'd even take an up-to-date version of one of those games. They have to be my favorite games of all time. Long live Jason Youngblood!
greed_1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 greed_1983
It probabbly wouldn't be TOO hard to do an updated version of those games. There are so many open source game tools availalbe now. I'm a good graphics guy but programming and scripting are not my thing.
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

Then suddenly out of the smoke emerges a Atlas. Keep in mind everything would be a to-scale fully 3D environment. Imagine being you, a little soldier...looking up at an atlas!

greed_1983

O M G ! ! ! ! !

You can bet that in that situation, I wont stand around to get my poor little tiny butt KICKED by an enormous Atlas. Now, If I were piloting a Timberwolf, well thats another story

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] No, mechwarrior imo wasn't even very good.. There were better series out there with large robots, such as Heavy Gear..greed_1983

???? HEavy Gear was Activitions responce to losing the Mechwarrior deal. It holds nothing to the Mechwarrior franchise.Besides the robots HELD their weapons(and i don't want to hear anyone say Battlemaster...i know).......WTF is that :-p

Heavy Gear 2 got rated a AAA which no Mechwarrior has gotten :roll:, and they both held their weapons and had it mounted.. Regardless with the inclusion of Heavy Gear 2 it has beaten out every mechwarrior game imo, and gamespot tends to agree too with the higher rating.

greed_1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 greed_1983

AAA? Isn't that a beef rating?

Since I have never played the HG titles I can't comment on their game play. My point was that Heavy Gear borrows all of its game cues and theme from the Mechwarrior games. Essentially HG is what the new Mechwarrior games would have been if Activision would have kept the license. The Mechwarrior universe is so broad and has so much history and depth that i doubt anyone could argue that HG could come close to this.

Also, the user rating for Vengeance and HG2 are both 8.7 I tend to take the user rating over the critic rating. Is it really that much better?

Chaos_81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chaos_81
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts

Mechwarrior.....singleplayer....mmofps....rpg...hell ill take anything. MW2 was so wicked and ive been hanging for another MW game (on the pc) for some time now....

so yes.

Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts
www.innerspherewars.com
thanatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 thanatose
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
A Mechwarrior MMO would be great as long as they followed closely to the Steve Jackson games pen and paper game. If they just tried to make it a mech battle it would be a flop as an MMO. All of the old Mechwarrior/Battletech fans out there would boycott any game that wasn't true to the original game.
vorquin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vorquin
Member since 2003 • 80 Posts

Interesting idea - I don't know if it would work. What happens when your mech gets totaled, you just respawn? Maybe a large-scale war multiplayer, like an improved Battlefield or TRIBES would be a better idea?

However, since we are talking about Sci-Fi MMOs, I'm looking forward to Tabula Rasa. Watching the gameplay footage, it looks like a nice change of pace for Tactical combat where your position in the game world matters. Taking cover, using terrain to give yourself a dice roll bonus, etc. It's lead game designer is Lord British himself (Richard Garriot, creator of the Ultima series and Ultima Online, which many of us long-time MMOers played for a number of years)/

www.Playtr.com, sign up for the Beta, maybe it will scratch your itch for Sci-fi.

Back on topic now...

Mechwarrior was innovative in its day as a PC game. It's cool to run around in a giant mech, customize your weapon systems, and use rudder on your joystick to rotate your upper torso while running in another direction. Sometimes I install mechwarrior 4 for kicks and giggles - gotta use that joystick for something other than choppers in BF2/2142. The gameplay seems a bit dated, however, considering that people are so used to mouse & keyboard combo that trying to do torso-twists and aim accurately with a joystick would be silly.

I guess what I'm saying is, the Joystick-centric gameplay was good in its time since it was much better than using a keyboard, but I don't know if this is what people want.

Also, I think video game developers (or publishers, more likely) are weary of making Sci-fi Simulators. I.E., the space sims like Freespace 2 have died off. The last TRIBES game was cool, but sales were abysmal (I think less than 50,000 copies sold in first several months). They stopped support for the game before 1.1 was ever finished, and the player base is mostly into modding and open-source development projects now, not playing TRIBES.

Not to mention a simulator-based MMO just seems silly. Still, fun to think about!

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
there a million good ideas for MMOs but developers are scared to take the risk!!
spec440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 spec440
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts

hell yes!!!

mechwarrior is an awesome series of games! even by today's standards!

a mechwarrior MMO would be freakin' awesome!

greed_1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 greed_1983
LInk is dead. What is this?
Ade_Newman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ade_Newman
Member since 2005 • 1059 Posts

Ya a new Mechwarrior games is WAY over due :( And the MMO setting would be great BUT imo it would need to be a hardcore MMO with severe consequences for losing battles otherwise what what would be the point?

Ade.

greed_1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 greed_1983

I figured most of you would be intersted in this.

http://www.iswars.com

Looks pretty cool. Ads a tabletop planetary battle aspec to Mech4 Mercs. Check it out.

Feran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Feran
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

Mechwarrior for a MMO I would say no, as I would feel it would just turn into some thing like planetside, which in the whole was not a bad game overall but did get stale after while. I do think we need a new Mechwarrior single-player/mulptiplayer game though for the PC that would be great :)

-PirateGuy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -PirateGuy-
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
Mechwarrior? MMO? I was just thinking about this, and it seems like it would have a lot of potential. But for it to be successful, it would need to have the level of customization the earlier MW (MW 1/2) games had, and have some classic chassis' in there. But i see potential in this idea, and if its anything like Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, then it would definetly be successful.:D
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Definitely! I'm not too crazy about MMOs, but I'd definitely invest some cash and time for that. Mechwarrior rocks!
Mercisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mercisme
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Hello all my fellow Mechwarrior brethren.

Mechwarrior remains to be, imho, one of the most over looked and under appreciated games in gaming today, not to mention the best of the best. It saddens me to no end that noone has even explored the potential of developing an MMO or heck, any new Mech games across the genre as a whole. Transformers, Battletech, Robotech, and Mechwarrior are some very very successful names and have very hard core and deep followings around the world. The new generation of programmers and devs are talented enough and bright enough to develope and produce the next world renouned series of games using any of the afore mentioned names.

I would like to send out a challenge to some of them if they read this to consider it, put feelers out there for ideas, create some "think tanks" on the internet and I'm quite confident you as developers could create the most unprecedented "environment" of a game and/or reality type game that the world has never seen before. The technology is here..the generation is now..have they got what it takes to make something that could change the way the world views or acknowledges a "game" as something so earth shattering that it would no longer be just a "game" for people to play any longer, but rather a virtual world with unprecedented interactions that it could no longer be called a game??

With this I challenge you, young bright minds of tomorrow! :idea:

DDX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DDX2
Member since 2004 • 6316 Posts

old topic is old.

If a Mechwarrior MMO ever came to be, sign me up :cool:

hamidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hamidious
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
The problem with an MMO is it would depend on who has the bigger guns and biggest stats, which would limit the skill and action intensity of mechwarior. If it is an MMO I think attention should be taken away from stats and put into the action and story. For example, it's ok to have quests but not a Laser gun+3
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
We need new Mech Warrior game!
metroblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 metroblaze

Well folks.....

SURPRISE !!!

We are working on one.

Right now, we have a 12-15 person team doing a full mod of the BF2142 game with a Battletech/Mechwarrior atmosphere.

There will be planetary capture resembling the MPBT3025 of old, Solaris 7 Lance League, and Free for all arena's.

The 5 Houses are currently setting up shop on the forums, as are most of your favorite Mercenary Groups and Clans, and even some groups whom you may not be familiar with.

We look to be doing a full game, once we have the Battletech/Mechwarrior community up and running on the mod.

To become a part of the Dev team, Alpha testers group, or just to keep on eye on our progress, come on over and pay us a visit @ : www.battlemechhanger.com

Hope to see you there.

Metro of House Liao

metroblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 metroblaze

There are some screen shots and video links up I believe now, for you to take a peek at.