Just bought Skyrim...still full of bugs?

i_am_the_slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 i_am_the_slime
Member since 2009 • 317 Posts

I had to re-start Skyrim within the first 30 seconds because the horse leading the carriage bugged out. Then about 10 minutes later I get stuck in crouch mode and can't get out. Enemies have dropped out of the sky and died. And I'm pretty sure I've got some sort of sound bug too (that or the audio in Skyrim is just terrible).

Is there a patch or mod that fixes this garbage? Steam should keep up to date with the "official" patches, right?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2  Edited By pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Steam will patch it to the latest version automatically. The only bugs I remember seeing in the game where ragdoll bugs and some quests bugged out and wouldnt advance. The quest bugs are common with Gamebryo engine and can be remedied by loading a previous save. I did have some problems with audio there was a bit of audio craclke when using 7.1 surround but this only happened in the few seconds it took to load another area so it was no biggie. The biggest problem I had with the game was how crap the main story was.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I know people are always complaining about how bugged Bethesda games are but honestly I've never had any serious or game breaking bugs. Maybe I'm just in the minority.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Skyrim is still complete garbage.

Did you disable vsync? If you did, you need to fps cap yourself. Also If you have a 144hz monitor and even have vsync on, the horse carriage ride in the beginning will completely screw up.

Skyrim above 120fps the physics engine breaks and everything starts flying everywhere. You also start swimming in the ground...

About your second issue, the audio in skyrim is extremely low. Look for a sound equalizer option in your soundcard's control panel.

One of my friends couldn't even complete the game because he killed the woman you were supposed to meet in the tavern and his save file got corrupted after that... lol

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@i_am_the_slime said:

I had to re-start Skyrim within the first 30 seconds because the horse leading the carriage bugged out. Then about 10 minutes later I get stuck in crouch mode and can't get out. Enemies have dropped out of the sky and died. And I'm pretty sure I've got some sort of sound bug too (that or the audio in Skyrim is just terrible).

Is there a patch or mod that fixes this garbage? Steam should keep up to date with the "official" patches, right?

Surprised to hear that. I've put more than 100 hours into it so far and barely a single bug to report.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@thereal25 said:

@i_am_the_slime said:

Surprised to hear that. I've put more than 100 hours into it so far and barely a single bug to report.

I encountered at least 50+ in the 8 hours I played the game fully patched. if you start jumping everywhere and treat the game like a fps, everything breaks.

Opening and closing doors on npcs and then suddenly the door slams and kills you, or the npcs just start colliding through doors. Jumping everywhere through geometry you will get sent through the map, etc.

This is the bug OP is probably talking about, I had it happen to me.

Loading Video...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

verify the game cache using steam. perhaps something got messed up in the download.

I have played skyrim on 3 different computer and have had issues...but nothing that mad. generally its been a solid and reliable game for me.

also try the unofficial patches before starting a new game.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thereal25

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@thereal25 said:

@i_am_the_slime said:

I encountered at least 50+ in the 8 hours I played the game fully patched. if you start jumping everywhere and treat the game like a fps, everything breaks.

Opening and closing doors on npcs and then suddenly the door slams and kills you, or the npcs just start colliding through doors. Jumping everywhere through geometry you will get sent through the map, etc.

This is the bug OP is probably talking about, I had it happen to me.

Loading Video...

Oh well, I guess my style must be game-friendly!

I have seen a couple of very minor things though, like a sword floating slightly above the ground etc.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@thereal25 said:

@i_am_the_slime said:

Why on earth would you play skyrim like that? I played skyrim for over 100 hours and while I've encountered a lot of bugs (which is to be expected with a world and game this big) none of them were game breaking. Now when the game first launched... that's a different story.

i_am_the_slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By i_am_the_slime
@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Did you disable vsync? If you did, you need to fps cap yourself. Also If you have a 144hz monitor and even have vsync on, the horse carriage ride in the beginning will completely screw up.

Skyrim above 120fps the physics engine breaks and everything starts flying everywhere. You also start swimming in the ground...

Hmm, maybe this is my problem. I do have a 144 hz monitor and most of the time my FPS is > 120.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Even with all the official patches, the game still has quite a lot of bugs in it. Bethesda hasn't gotten around to making more patches for Skyrim (and probably never will). But since you're playing on PC, I believe that there's some unofficial patches you can download, and some of the problems caused by the bugs/glitches can be circumvented via console commands, iirc.

@johnd13 said:

I know people are always complaining about how bugged Bethesda games are but honestly I've never had any serious or game breaking bugs. Maybe I'm just in the minority.

It seems everyone's bug&glitch experience with Skyrim/Bethesda games is different. And I guess it depends on what you consider a serious and/or game-breaking bug. Some people are like you and get lucky and never have to deal with a serious glitch. Others are constantly plagued by them. During my time with Skyrim, I encountered a bug that has prevented me from doing most of the Thieves Guild main quest line, and another that prevented me from finishing a whole quest, as well as several minor bugs. Yet I've only had one bug/glitch during my time with Fallout New Vegas, and fixing it was as easy as reloading my previous save file.

Kinda hafta wonder why everyone's experience with bugs and glitches in Bethesda games is so varied.....

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#12  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

The existence of the Unofficial Skyrim Patches with a long list of fixes in the documentations shows that there are still bugs in the game, nothing game breaking.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

I have about 200 mods installed. It looks gorgeous and boots up just fine. What're your system specs?

i_am_the_slime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 i_am_the_slime

@superclocked said:

I have about 200 mods installed. It looks gorgeous and boots up just fine. What're your system specs?

Yeah, must be my terrible computer:

i5-3570k @ 4.2

8GB Ram

GTX 780

Benq 144 hz monitor

Apparently it's the 144 hz monitor that's the problem - google shows lots of people with that issue and the "fix" is to go down to 60 hz....ridiculous if you ask me.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#15  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yeah, even with all the official patches, the game is bugged and glitched like crazy. It's just something you have to accept.

It is a lot better on my current playthrough, though. I have all the unofficial patches, I've cleaned the ESMs with TES5Edit, even double-cleaned Dawnguard.esm to remove the last 6 ITMs, and basically did absolutely everything in the Skyrim Stability Guide, with fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS maxed out at 2000.0. So far, the only weirdness to report are 1. Dual Flurry suddenly stopped working, fixed with console, 2. In the Civil War questline, the carriage in the Rift instantly disappeared after I talked to Hadvar, 3. Stormcloaks at Fort Kastav just standing there and letting me kill them, and 4. about a dozen CTDs after about 120+ hours of play time. Overall, an excellent result - relatively speaking.

Oh, and animals falling out of the sky and dying is normal; Skyrim places objects onto the world via a "top down" method; meaning it starts the objects over the map then "drops" them. Sometimes it forgets to place the object before you see them, and sort of goes "oh crap, er, no worries, I'll get that mammoth for you," then "er, whoops, forgot about gravity." I haven't had that since level 15, so it might be an early game thing.

Oh and some random invisible Khajiit attacking me every now and then.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thereal25

@EnoshimaJunko said:

Even with all the official patches, the game still has quite a lot of bugs in it. Bethesda hasn't gotten around to making more patches for Skyrim (and probably never will). But since you're playing on PC, I believe that there's some unofficial patches you can download, and some of the problems caused by the bugs/glitches can be circumvented via console commands, iirc.

@johnd13 said:

It seems everyone's bug&glitch experience with Skyrim/Bethesda games is different. And I guess it depends on what you consider a serious and/or game-breaking bug. Some people are like you and get lucky and never have to deal with a serious glitch. Others are constantly plagued by them. During my time with Skyrim, I encountered a bug that has prevented me from doing most of the Thieves Guild main quest line, and another that prevented me from finishing a whole quest, as well as several minor bugs. Yet I've only had one bug/glitch during my time with Fallout New Vegas, and fixing it was as easy as reloading my previous save file.

Kinda hafta wonder why everyone's experience with bugs and glitches in Bethesda games is so varied.....

My experience with fallout new vegas was pretty good also. But I did have to use a console command to get past a certain section and there was also a glitch in that quest about exploring the vault with all the weird pollen stuff.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@i_am_the_slime said:

@superclocked said:

Yeah, must be my terrible computer:

i5-3570k @ 4.2

8GB Ram

GTX 780

Benq 144 hz monitor

Apparently it's the 144 hz monitor that's the problem - google shows lots of people with that issue and the "fix" is to go down to 60 hz....ridiculous if you ask me.

You don't have to, you can disable vsync then try using the fps limiter in rivatuner statistics server.

This is far from an acceptable solution from a company that had millions to make a game.