Jumping ship to PC from console. What should I know?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1 RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

I'm in the process of building a gaming rig, just started making a list of the components I want and was wondering what should I expect when making the jump from console?

How are the communities for PC gamers? And where are these communities?

Are there any places to meet up with an join clans/teams?

Does it matter what type of keyboard and mouse I use?

Are all PC games controller compatible? If so what type/brand would you recommend?

These are just some of the concerns I have, I'll post more if ever run into trouble.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

I'm in the process of building a gaming rig, just started making a list of the components I want and was wondering what should I expect when making the jump from console?

Are all PC games controller compatible? If so what type/brand would you recommend?

These are just some of the concerns I have, I'll post more if ever run into trouble.

- communities are too numerous to count, there's something for everyone

- steam, online forums, etc

- no, get whats comfortable

- most are, and if not there's probably a way to force it. The beauty of PC: You can make things work if you put in a little effort. I would highly advise not using a controller for an FPS, especially online, though.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@wis3boi said:

@renegadesteve said:

- most are, and if not there's probably a way to force it. The beauty of PC: You can make things work if you put in a little effort. I would highly advise not using a controller for an FPS, especially online, though.

Agreed.

Also I might add you can use Xbox 360 or PS Dual Shock whatever you wish, I'm using X360 wireless and I'm in love with it.

Keyboard is not an issue much but as for mouse it's a bit tricky, it depends on your hand grip: there're 3 types of them which most people use: palm, claw and fingertip - I can advice you if you already know your style.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RenegadeSteve
@PredatorRules said:

@wis3boi said:

@renegadesteve said:

Agreed.

Also I might add you can use Xbox 360 or PS Dual Shock whatever you wish, I'm using X360 wireless and I'm in love with it.

Keyboard is not an issue much but as for mouse it's a bit tricky, it depends on your hand grip: there're 3 types of them which most people use: palm, claw and fingertip - I can advice you if you already know your style.

Yeah I'm thinking about getting the 360 controller. I'll have to look into those mouse types

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Don't get a cheap mouse. Get one with high dpi. It makes your aim more smooth. I just turn up the dpi then turn down the sensitivity in the game and that makes it much more smooth for some reason. I got me two mice so that I have more options. I have a Razer Naga and a Razer Deathadder.

Any controller should work. Its just whatever you like the most. I go with the Xbox 360 controller. If you want to play online multiplayer with the controller, buy Titanfall. It has aim assist. Just like on the consoles.

Englandfc1966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Englandfc1966
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

Never cheap out on a PSU

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts
@renegadesteve said:

pretty much yes these days. atleast all multiplatforms. it's so easy too; turn on controller -> launch game -> it autodetects that and makes all ingame icons gamepad-friendly. obviously some strategy games don't support controllers.

PC games natively support X360 controllers, so i would suggest getting the Microsoft's own wireless X360 controller for PC (same as the console controller, but the PC version just has USB reciever in the package). other X360 controllers work just as fine, but i like the feel of the original X360 controller more than others.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

Also consider logitech's 310/510 controllers if you like the PS style but want native x-input support like the 360. It does have less sensitive analog sticks and stiffer triggers, but a much better d-pad than the 360, which is great if you like fighting games or 2d platformers.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

All you need to know is that you can look down on the peasants knowing that you now are part of the master race. :D

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I made the switch last summer and I'm more then pleased with my decision. I don't think 'll be going back anytime soon. Well at least till I see what naughty dog is bringing to the table. The community on pc is so much better then on consoles. I have not once dealt with a ignorant/racist/homophobic/dumb juvenile kids since I built the thing. Which is such a refreshing change of pace, that I don't think I'm ever willing to do online gaming on a console again. If you want just get a computer version of the 360 controller works for every game out there.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

You will now be able to play games with anti aliasing. Yes that's right, anti aliasing.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

I made the switch last summer and I'm more then pleased with my decision. I don't think 'll be going back anytime soon. Well at least till I see what naughty dog is bringing to the table. The community on pc is so much better then on consoles. I have not once dealt with a ignorant/racist/homophobic/dumb juvenile kids since I built the thing. Which is such a refreshing change of pace, that I don't think I'm ever willing to do online gaming on a console again. If you want just get a computer version of the 360 controller works for every game out there.

I think it depends on the game. I think PC gamers are way more uptight if you are new to a game and give you a hard time for it. I was booted from a Payday game the other day because someone told me to do something and I asked. I think PC gamers take the competition thing to another level.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RenegadeSteve

@Englandfc1966 said:

Never cheap out on a PSU

Man, I'm having such a hard time deciding which one I want and I and think my old dell case isn't big enough because it can only house one fan I'm gonna have just pick up a new case i guess

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RenegadeSteve

@silversix_: Had to look that word up, now i see that problem in some of my games lol thanks

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

@VALikimlav: Ya I can see that. What I like about it though is you can all ways look for a server that is made up of friendly adults. Every FPS or multiplayer has them, no swearing be nice kind of servers. I usually have a great server on my favorite list for all my FPS games that is generally made of of old guys who just want to have hassle free fun. They are generally the ones you I tend to go back to if say I come back to play the game after an extended period of time.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RenegadeSteve

@slipknot0129: I'm trying to wan myself off using aim assist, tried it on GTA 5 the other day it felt like i had complete control over my character it was quite satisfying

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RenegadeSteve

@klunt_bumskrint said:

All you need to know is that you can look down on the peasants knowing that you now are part of the master race. :D

LOL

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#18 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Welcome to the club. :)

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Expect your wallet to hurt with all the games you'll be buying off of PC sales.

Blutfahne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Blutfahne
Member since 2014 • 276 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

@Englandfc1966 said:

Never cheap out on a PSU

Man, I'm having such a hard time deciding which one I want and I and think my old dell case isn't big enough because it can only house one fan I'm gonna have just pick up a new case i guess

IF you have the money it is highly worth it to get good big case(for airflow/temp reasons and quality of parts) along with quality fans and ofc high quality psu. These components can last for years and can save you lots of $$$ and unexpected trouble in the future. Because when your pc is breaks down, which it will, you don't give a shit about the money it's the hassle of it all and not being able to game or go online. You do learn which is a good thing I guess. Also get new fan for CPU as stock fans are usually $5 crap.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

@slipknot0129: I'm trying to wan myself off using aim assist, tried it on GTA 5 the other day it felt like i had complete control over my character it was quite satisfying

Plenty of PC games dont even allow Aim Assist in multiplayer. Regarding communties, most gaming forums have their own dedicated communties and guilds . There are plenty communities on steam, just go to the community tab and search for something that interests you, sometimes you will even get randomly invited to various communities.

I would also recommend you get acquanted with various websites, like NexusMods.

ed_woody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ed_woody
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Its like building a house, difficult to get your shit together, but when you do, you will all be like "The wallpaper looks awesome"

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PIGONSTEROIDZ
Member since 2014 • 96 Posts

lots can go wrong.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@behardy24 said:

Expect your wallet to hurt with all the games you'll be buying off of PC sales.

Why? They're so cheap it only costs the same for a handful of games as one console game. That doesn't hurt, it's a warm fuzzy feeling.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@blutfahne said:

@renegadesteve said:

@Englandfc1966 said:

Never cheap out on a PSU

IF you have the money it is highly worth it to get good big case(for airflow/temp reasons and quality of parts) along with quality fans and ofc high quality psu. These components can last for years and can save you lots of $$$ and unexpected trouble in the future. Because when your pc is breaks down, which it will, you don't give a shit about the money it's the hassle of it all and not being able to game or go online. You do learn which is a good thing I guess. Also get new fan for CPU as stock fans are usually $5 crap.

Yeah I'm looking into replacing the stocks due from previous experience I've had with them

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Pros: Master race, e-bitches will line up for your e-penis now.

Cons: Get ready to have a fat wallet, you'll need it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I did that a while back... Theres just no point in moving to consoles now. Atleast a while back there use to be Splitscreen.

Stick to PC Gaming... Its just better.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Oops... Misread the title

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

Go with Intel/Nvidia parts and avoid Windows 8 like the plague. Certain motherboard/parts will force you to run it, avoid them.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RenegadeSteve

@dbtbandit67: Windows 8 is such garbage I refuse to even touch it

PIGONSTEROIDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points