Is gamebooster any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Evart123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Evart123
Member since 2008 • 119 Posts

Is gamebooster any good? Does it free up cpu resources? I am trying to get Kingdoms of AmalurReckoning to not lag sometimes.

CPU: core 2 duo 2.2 ghz

GPU: Nvidea 9800 gts 1gb

Ram: 4gb

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I've never used it myself but what I've heard from people who have is the difference isn't huge. Something like 5 FPS.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

You should have absolutely no problem with KoA, what do you mean lag, lag during combat? if it's that kind of lag, then you can't fix that, for some reason they thought a random stutter like freeze in combat is awesome.

Gamebooster and any other similar apps are useless.

Van_SteubenZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Van_SteubenZ
Member since 2012 • 232 Posts

Is gamebooster any good? Does it free up cpu resources? I am trying to get Kingdoms of AmalurReckoning to not lag sometimes.

CPU: core 2 duo 2.2 ghz

GPU: Nvidea 9800 gts 1gb

Ram: 4gb

Evart123
Its really good I used it on my old comp and the difference was humongous. Iobit is pretty good too. And ccleaner to clean out internet cache and much more. Also fixes registry errors
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
I use it on my PC and I don't really notice a major difference but yeah, a few frames is always welcome in any modern game you play. Use it, it's free and it does help!
jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

DanielDust
Pretty sure you're way off base with that assessment.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

jer_1

Pretty sure anyone able to manage and maintain their PC will have superior results. More applications running = worse performance, there's logic to why such applications never work, just like software to free RAM and so on.
nilzg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nilzg
Member since 2008 • 753 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

jer_1

Actually he's right, there has been a topic with the same question as this one. Then I said something like this: Gamebooster or any such programs only 'stop' processes but the programs themselves are also a (or more) process so they also use RAM which makes them useless, just make a clean boot (google it) keep your computer that way (only things that really need to start are things like virus scanners and fire walls) and if you want you can 'stop' processes any time with the task manager by hand. /thread
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
it's much better to maintain your pc so that when you game, you have no problems. using apps like gamebooster will start doing things that are beyond your understanding and when something goes wrong it will be more difficult to isolate the problem. seriously, microsoft's builtin utility msconfig will let you stop processes and services that you don't want, if you don't want to uninstall their respective programs. that, and routine defragging is pretty much all you need to keep your pc in good order. the jury is still out on "registry fixers", so i won't say they will help. programs can't just free stuff up just like that, half the time if the OS is doing its job properly it should be doing this by itself. if you need external programs to do this then you are not keeping your pc in the condition you should.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Yes, it's handy if you want a quick way to free up resources. It also easily tweaks your system to do things like shut down hung programs faster. Sure, you could go through and manually adjust the registry keys yourself, but how does using a tool to make it easier mean that you don't maintain your computer well. I'm pretty sure the most advanced carpenters don't hammer nails with a screwdriver or their fingers just because they can. Nilzg is partially right though. The thing is this program is quick, one button press to start and one button press to stop. And if it's processes use up less resources than the processes that it shuts down, then it's quite clearly not useless. Still, the benefits are mostly going to be pretty minimal unless you have a really slow pc.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#11 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I recommend it especially if you have stutter issues with certain games like Black Ops. It didn't fully fix the problem but it improved it.

Evart123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Evart123
Member since 2008 • 119 Posts

Ok I guess I will download it then.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DanielDust

I recommend it especially if you have stutter issues with certain games like Black Ops. It didn't fully fix the problem but it improved it.

mhofever
Make sure you put shader warming on, if you didn't already, performance is flawless.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
[QUOTE="jer_1"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]

DanielDust

Pretty sure anyone able to manage and maintain their PC will have superior results. More applications running = worse performance, there's logic to why such applications never work, just like software to free RAM and so on.

What he said. Gamebooster and any other similar programs are next to useless. If you really want a free performance boost there is only one way and is overclocking . Whats holding you back in Amalur is your dual core CPU. Overclock that to a decent 2,7-2,2,8ghz and you will see enough performance boost. Also instead of using a software like that just open your task manager then see if there are unwanted processes running or if a process is taking alot cpu cycles and terminate them . Also use msconfig ( write msconfig on your start menu ) to prevent unnecessary programs from starting with windows
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="jer_1"] Pretty sure you're way off base with that assessment.adamosmaki

What he said. Gamebooster and any other similar programs are next to useless. If you really want a free performance boost there is only one way and is overclocking . Whats holding you back in Amalur is your dual core CPU. Overclock that to a decent 2,7-2,2,8ghz and you will see enough performance boost. Also instead of using a software like that just open your task manager then see if there are unwanted processes running or if a process is taking alot cpu cycles and terminate them . Also use msconfig ( write msconfig on your start menu ) to prevent unnecessary programs from starting with windows

You guys seem not to understand the purpose of gamebooster, it is meant to close programs that isn't neccesary for gaming but is neccesary for other things that you do not want disabled from the beginning.... And the task manager your speak of means one has to do it every time when a click of yoru button can do the exact same thing with game booster.. And a second click brings everything else back online..

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DanielDust
If you actually followed the discussion, gambooster is useless because you don't need an application to do that and you also don't have to do it every single time, if your Windows has applications that need turning off then it's not properly managed, at most the AV would be the problem for systems that can't even support the OS + a more demanding game and that is easy to stop from within the AV (ironically, at the press of a button). There are other options that are better for people with low end systems and that is to strip 7 of most of its functionality and make it an updated Win 98.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]If you actually followed the discussion, gambooster is useless because you don't need an application to do that and you also don't have to do it every single time, if your Windows has applications that need turning off then it's not properly managed, at most the AV would be the problem for systems that can't even support the OS + a more demanding game and that is easy to stop from within the AV (ironically, at the press of a button). There are other options that are better for people with low end systems and that is to strip 7 of most of its functionality and make it an updated Win 98.

So why would they be better off doing that as a near permanent or more troublesome solutions rather than run a program where they can strip 7 of it's updated functionality and add it back with two button presses?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

Dude, there are two things I said there.

In other words

1) Learn to manage your PC (general, not you). - it'll give way better results than a redundant application.
and the part that you fused with 1 for some reason
2) An obsolete PC, will benefit the most from a lighter OS than a redundant application.

Two button presses are more than it should require, you're doing 2 button presses just because, you're not making the OS faster, games won't run any better (5 frames is just bs compared to a real solution, the variable frame rate loss goes way beyond just 5 frames and I'm sure that was an exaggeration, software like this doesn't get more than a few frames unless the PC is a total mess).

Why exactly would somebody not satisfied with performance not take time and clean their PC for way better performance? (not some fantasy that it probably runs better because I have this software) there is no such thing as permanent and troublesome (the result of you fusing two entirely different statements), only lazy, that is a lazy excuse that contradicts what a person, asking such questions, wants to do.