In market for some headphones/speakers, Any suggestions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By RenegadeSteve
Member since 2013 • 262 Posts

I'm looking for decent headphones and speakers that are going to last me for awhile. My budget is $500 for everything, the pair of headphones that i've been looking at are the Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless, Razer Kraken 7.1 Surround and the Logitech G430 kinda of not feeling the blue coloring.

As for speakers I'm leaning sort of towards Subwoofers but I might change my mind if the price is right.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

ATH-M50: 100$

2.1 Amp: 100$

Dayton sub: 100$

Pair of decent bookshelves speakers : 200$

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

100% sure I made a post in this thread and it disappeared but MonsierX's answer is good. Corsair, Logitech, Razer - all crap and should be avoided for headphones/speakers.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@renegadesteve: Literally anything that's not made by Dr. Dre.

On a serious note your choices for headphones are all absolutely horrid. Check out stuff made by Monoprice, Sennheiser, Grado, Sony, Polka Audio, and Audio-Technica. If you need a headset just buy a clip on mic and pair it with some nice headphones.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

ATH-M50: 100$

2.1 Amp: 100$

Dayton sub: 100$

Pair of decent bookshelves speakers : 200$

I'm actually considering grabbing a pair of M50's and and clip-on mic.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

I'm looking for decent headphones and speakers that are going to last me for awhile. My budget is $500 for everything, the pair of headphones that i've been looking at are the Corsair Vengeance 2100 Wireless, Razer Kraken 7.1 Surround and the Logitech G430 kinda of not feeling the blue coloring.

As for speakers I'm leaning sort of towards Subwoofers but I might change my mind if the price is right.

Don't get too sucked into the whole 5.1/7.1 headphone thing, most of the time it's just a gimmick and you get lesser quality drivers. I still prefer to have good quality stereo headphones and have the sound card emulate surround through Dolby Headphone Surround.

Look into Senheiser's gaming range.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@renegadesteve said:

Don't get too sucked into the whole 5.1/7.1 headphone thing, most of the time it's just a gimmick and you get lesser quality drivers. I still prefer to have good quality stereo headphones and have the sound card emulate surround through Dolby Headphone Surround.

Look into Senheiser's gaming range.

This guy speaks the truth.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Microlab SOLO 7C or 3C for speakers (studio quality)

As for headset I'm using Tt eSports Shock, they're really nice.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Rocking 80s Sony bookshelf speakers (E410) with an 80s Technics amp (SU-V45A). They're both entry level for hi-fi standards but they crap on all those Logitech plastic cans. They cost me ~50€ each. Double that and you can get a lot better sound. And of course get a decent sound card, Xonar D1 or better.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Gaming headphones:

AKG K612, K701, K702, Q701

Sennheiser HD 518, 558, 598, 600

Beyerdynamic DT 880, 990

Notice I've recommended open back headphones because they're far better for gaming.

As for speakers, get a cheap (there are also plenty of great used/vintage amps) amp and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers with 5"+ drivers. Good bookshelf speakers will go down to 50Hz nicely so for many things won't need a sub. I assume you're in the US, in which case good budget subs are the Dayton 10"/12" or the BIC F12.

If you can afford it a 5.1/7.1 receiver will be a better option than a stereo amp. Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha are recommended over Sony.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RenegadeSteve

@k3ck: I'm not one those poor saps that buys into the Beats or other crappy headphones i'm a bose type kinda guy lol but anyways I checked out those brands you mention and I'm liking what I see kudos on those brand suggestions man.

@FelipeInside: the sennheiser's looks right up my ally. So should I not be looking @ the 5.1/7.1 headphone thing? what's the deal on that?

@PredatorRules: Tt eSports Shock look really nice also the different colors as well, I'm not really feeling the bulkyness of the Microlab SOLOs speakers you suggested tho, I might just go with a decent pair of two small subwoofers or some bookshelf speakers

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Gaming headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT 880, 990

Notice I've recommended open back headphones because they're far better for gaming.

As for speakers, get a cheap (there are also plenty of great used/vintage amps) amp and a pair of nice bookshelf speakers with 5"+ drivers. Good bookshelf speakers will go down to 50Hz nicely so for many things won't need a sub. I assume you're in the US, in which case good budget subs are the Dayton 10"/12" or the BIC F12.

If you can afford it a 5.1/7.1 receiver will be a better option than a stereo amp. Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha are recommended over Sony.

Although I completely agree with you... to be fair, the AKG K7 series aren't really considered gaming headphones. Actually the same can be said about every set you mentioned in your post (all great HPs). Those are actual studio mixing/mastering headphones. (and not just in marketing like "Beats" claim to be reference but are really no where near a FFR) Of course that is not to say they won't work great for gaming, they will actually be far superior to any gaming headphone/headset.

Open Back are better for EVERYTHING except isolation (example using them when recording through a microphone)

I have my eyes set on the K702's if I can find them on a decent sale by the end of the year to help with mixing/tracking. As I already have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro for recording on the mic.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@PfizersaurusRex said:

Rocking 80s Sony bookshelf speakers (E410) with an 80s Technics amp (SU-V45A). They're both entry level for hi-fi standards but they crap on all those Logitech plastic cans. They cost me ~50€ each. Double that and you can get a lot better sound. And of course get a decent sound card, Xonar D1 or better.

Yeah i'm looking of getting a sound card further sometime early next year

@kraken2109 said:

Gaming headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT 880, 990

Thanks man I'll start looking into those you suggested

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kraken2109
@renegadesteve said:

@PredatorRules: Tt eSports Shock look really nice also the different colors as well, I'm not really feeling the bulkyness of the Microlab SOLOs speakers you suggested tho, I might just go with a decent pair of two small subwoofers or some bookshelf speakers

What you've written their doesn't make sense, do you understand what a subwoofer is? A subwoofer is a single large speaker (minimum of 8 inches generally, 10 and 12 are better) designed for reproducing low frequencies (i.e. under 100Hz). Good subwoofers are not cheap.

What you should be looking at are 2-way bookshelf speakers (i.e. a woofer and tweeter) with a woofer at least 5 inches, preferably 6/6.5 if you won't be buying a sub later on.

Also, if you buy an AV receiver instead of a standard analogue stereo amp you get more features, more channels (so you can go surround in future) and most importantly digital inputs and a good DAC so there is no need for a soundcard.

@Lach0121 said:

@kraken2109 said:

Gaming headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT 880, 990

Although I completely agree with you... to be fair, the AKG K7 series aren't really considered gaming headphones. Actually the same can be said about every set you mentioned in your post (all great HPs). Those are actual studio mixing/mastering headphones. (and not just in marketing like "Beats" claim to be reference but are really no where near a FFR) Of course that is not to say they won't work great for gaming, they will actually be far superior to any gaming headphone/headset.

Open Back are better for EVERYTHING except isolation (example using them when recording through a microphone)

I have my eyes set on the K702's if I can find them on a decent sale by the end of the year to help with mixing/tracking. As I already have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro for recording on the mic.

When I wrote 'gaming headphones' what I meant was headphones good for gaming. As you've said, good quality open back stereo headphones are much better than anything with the word 'gaming' actually written on it.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

@kraken2109: Yeah, I was basically just being a butt.

I completely agree with your recommendations though.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RenegadeSteve

@kraken2109 said:
@renegadesteve said:

What you've written their doesn't make sense, do you understand what a subwoofer is? A subwoofer is a single large speaker (minimum of 8 inches generally, 10 and 12 are better) designed for reproducing low frequencies (i.e. under 100Hz). Good subwoofers are not cheap.

What you should be looking at are 2-way bookshelf speakers (i.e. a woofer and tweeter) with a woofer at least 5 inches, preferably 6/6.5 if you won't be buying a sub later on.

Also, if you buy an AV receiver instead of a standard analogue stereo amp you get more features, more channels (so you can go surround in future) and most importantly digital inputs and a good DAC so there is no need for a soundcard.

@Lach0121 said:

@kraken2109 said:

Gaming headphones:

Beyerdynamic DT 880, 990

When I wrote 'gaming headphones' what I meant was headphones good for gaming. As you've said, good quality open back stereo headphones are much better than anything with the word 'gaming' actually written on it.

I do know what a subwoofer or subwoofers are, maybe you misinterpreted what i was looking for/asking or maybe I typed it wrong but any, I'm looking for a Single boxed a.k.a Sealed Boxed subwoofer with just a single speaker in it own standalone case.

I'm looking for something like

This is Not what I'm looking for

SevenzFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SevenzFlow
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

Best on the market for less than 200

They can be used for: gaming, music, plug into guitar amps, amplified for more bass.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kraken2109

Ok, I'm not really understanding what's going on here. You asked for speaker recommendations but now you're saying you don't want speakers you want a sub?

@renegadesteve said:

@kraken2109 said:

I do know what a subwoofer or subwoofers are, maybe you misinterpreted what i was looking for/asking or maybe I typed it wrong but any, I'm looking for a Single boxed a.k.a Sealed Boxed subwoofer with just a single speaker in it own standalone case.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

I'm looking for something like

I can't seem to find Sub alone but I found some good shelf speakers:

Microlab Solo 6C

Realmjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Realmjumper
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts

I know logitech has a set of speakers with subwoofer that is good price and quality. As for headphones/microphone I use the Fatal1ty from Creative. They are priced low and are high quality. If you want something better get like a turtle beach, steel series, or something like that.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RenegadeSteve

@kraken2109: My bad man, i'm just not being clear on what i want, i keep looking at subs & speakers and I'm just trying to figure out what would be best bang for my bucks

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kraken2109

@renegadesteve said:

@kraken2109: My bad man, i'm just not being clear on what i want, i keep looking at subs & speakers and I'm just trying to figure out what would be best bang for my bucks

The best bang for buck is a pair of decent bookshelf speakers.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kraken2109

@Realmjumper said:

I know logitech has a set of speakers with subwoofer that is good price and quality. As for headphones/microphone I use the Fatal1ty from Creative. They are priced low and are high quality. If you want something better get like a turtle beach, steel series, or something like that.

pls no

Logitech are a consumer electronics company, not an audio company.

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RenegadeSteve

@kraken2109: imma go with the Microlab Solo 6C that PredatorRules posted

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@renegadesteve: Bose is just as horrid as Beats. Both are insanely overpriced for what they are. Avoid both like the plague.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kraken2109

@renegadesteve said:

Having never heard them I can't comment, but they're not exactly a large and respected audio company. You said you had $500 to spend - personally they're not what I'd be buying but I'm sure they're better than most logitech/creative etc

RenegadeSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RenegadeSteve

@kraken2109: My cousin said he could build me a pair using a pair car speakers or subwoofers if i wanted to go that route

@k3ck said:

@renegadesteve: Bose is just as horrid as Beats. Both are insanely overpriced for what they are. Avoid both like the plague.

Really?? I've always thought I was getting top quality

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kraken2109

@renegadesteve said:

@kraken2109: My cousin said he could build me a pair using a pair car speakers or subwoofers if i wanted to go that route

@k3ck said:

Really?? I've always thought I was getting top quality

Car speakers are not hi-fi quality. Unless your cousin knows what he's doing he can't build you good speakers. There is a lot more to a speaker than a driver in a box.

Bose are aimed at consumers so make numerous sacrifices in terms of sound, I personally wouldn't recommend them.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

@renegadesteve said:

I only heared good things about Microlab, but in the context of being a good alternative to Logitech or Altec, with wooden boxes and nice, soft bass, etc. Basically just good PC speakers. Don't forget that they are active speakers, compare their amp specs (suppose they are honest about it) with a proper integrated amp and you'll notice a difference. Not to mention the size and weight of an integrated amp. You can't squeeze a 100W amp in a small box and keep the same quality.