In a few months, I'll have no internet for a very long time

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Evil_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evil_Rage
Member since 2005 • 35 Posts

I really wanted to get this off my chest, but its probably always going to infuriate me until things get better, which I doubt they will.

You know, I still don't understand that the option for offline DRM-Free for all games nowadays DOES NOT EXIST, and its tolerated that we are stuck in this mess of always-online/ online required drm corporate bureaucracy (very NSA like in nature). Since I go away for weeks/months/years at a time without internet and once my 2 weeks or whatever arbitrary time limit Steam enforces for offline mode ends, there goes my games unless I break the law to play games offline that I already own (I don't care what the terms say this week, its my license, its my copy, etc;), which is annoying and is not something I should have to do.

One of my friends, who also goes away for weeks at a time and is also without internet and games on a very expensive, very high powered gaming laptop just gave up and said "screw this" and stopped bothering with it and just downloads all of his games "drm-free" (not legally) with the exception that he has in fact paid for true drm-free games like Witcher series, old classics on GOG etc;

My biggest problem is there's a sizable market for drm-free out there (that I and my friend are part of, as gamers who are almost always on the go, not to mention the countless others out there) few developers/publishers want to take advantage of this market (A few do, like CD Projekt Red who gives the option of consoles, drm-free on pc, or with drm/steam on pc) Is there something I am missing here? Won't releasing your games every possible way, generate MORE sales than limiting it to people who are willing to use online drm services???

DRM-Free SHOULD have become the norm, while Steam/Origin/DRM "services" should only be there as additional options. Instead its backwards and makes Steam a near monopoly over PC gaming,not to mention their awful Terms of Use which gives me massive headaches from how much corporate doublespeak and restrictions, not to mention their declared power over your account, you are agreeing to when you click the "I agree" button, few people even bother reading and many don't care and don't want to fight back in any way.

Why isn't drm-free the norm for PC? If people want to scream piracy, there's been untold amounts of it on 360 and PS3 and once some people figure out how, there will be massive amounts of it on PS4 and Xbox One, so the piracy excuse is a pretty tired one for me, and I shouldn't feel I should have to suffer because of piracy of a few people on PC whereas on consoles there's an unspeakable amount of piracy going on that has yet to have a number attached to it because once the new Xbox and PS4 are figured out (remember, they ARE x86/64 architecture) there will be massive amounts of piracy on them, but the finger will still get pointed at PC gamers as being the sole pirates and blame all of us, even people like me who have always paid for our games. Even more restrictions on PC games will follow that I'm sure.

I guess gamers on the go (like me) aren't worth considering because of the concern over piracy and the control they want to have over our gaming , despite the fact that while PC piracy has some statistics to look at, console piracy will continue to grow exponentially more and will fly under the radar, as my military friend would say.

All that being said, I thought of making accounts for some major studios that use this DRM and posting my concerns there and stop burdening people on gamespot with my thoughts on DRM and such, but I wonder if doing so will make even a bit of difference. I have a feeling, all I'll get is the generic "We always appreciate feedback" etc; that doesn't mean anything.

Gaming's been a part of my life for a very long time, many fond memories, and all I have now is anger at what its become on my favorite platform. Which is why my dead gaming desktop might not ever see a replacement, because why bother, I'll only get to use it for a few weeks at a time on the internet anyway.

I don't know why I bother ending with this, but there exists NO possibility of internet where I am going so don't tell me to use WiFi, or use Steam and its horrendous offline mode before I leave, I'm going into a virtual dead zone where there is no internet infrastructure that we take for granted here.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

I didn't even know steam had a limit on how long you could play offline for, in your position I would remove that limitation temporarily in a heartbeat.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Steam does not have offline mode limit anymore

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

If you mean going to US forward bases, they have WiFi hotspots there. They may be insecure. But, they're there. Some of the shittiest Third World toilets have WiFi.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

As others have already said your Steam library should be okay. I would make sure Steam is fully updated before setting it to off-line mode. At any rate, that's why I always choose the DRM free versions of games when they're available which, sadly, isn't often enough.

@jimmy_russell said:

Sorry, but your demographic is too small for anyone to legitimately care about your concerns. Next time don't make the mistake of being an outcast!

Way to be a douche about it, Jimmy.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@-wildflower- said:

As others have already said your Steam library should be okay. I would make sure Steam is fully updated before setting it to off-line mode. At any rate, that's why I always choose the DRM free versions of games when they're available which, sadly, isn't often enough.

@jimmy_russell said:

Sorry, but your demographic is too small for anyone to legitimately care about your concerns. Next time don't make the mistake of being an outcast!

Way to be a douche about it, Jimmy.

he is right.... who gives a shit about people without internet? there are so few places without it now that it is completely inconsequential.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

one guy said it best, nobody cares about your small niche market. There is a way to get around your situation. Just buy the game legally and then illegally download the drm free copy. That way you're fully covered, since its not illegal to have a backup copy of your legally purchased games.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Heroes if Might and Magic 3 keeps me entertained for weeks and is available DRM free off GOG. Still my favourite game to this day. The vast majority of the titles available on GOG may not be brand spanking new, but the gameplay is definitely there. Heck, I would argue that the lack of cinematic experiences back in the day allowed for a greater focus on gameplay. Vote with your wallet and just buy the games you want off GOG.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

I've played for months without connecting Steam to the internet? When I was in college steam was blocked on the college servers so I just played in offline mode while I was there. When I came home Christmas and Summer I would download new games and update and such but no internet was required to play the games I already had.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

Ouch! Burn, baby burn.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4196 Posts

@Evil_Rage: I would call Valve support and see if there's anything they can do for you, but like somebody said above, I don't believe there's any kind of offline limits on Steam. I would make sure you can log in offline before you go wherever you're going.