I need to buy a new GPU, need help please!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by SolidSnakeJT (945 posts) -

Hello everyone,

I want to buy a new GPU, because right now the new game play very poorly, "especially Assassins Creed 4 which will be my exemple for this post"

I have a DP55kg motherboard, a corei5 2.67ghz CPU and a hd4850 GPU

I want to buy a gtx760 because there is a lot of great feedback on that card, i see that both my cpu and mobo support the card, and i never had any bottleneck problem with my cpu, would buying that card allow me to play with mostly high to max settings with good fps?

As of now, i play with mostly everything on high "dx9" except environment on medium and i have avg of 30fps, if i increase environment to high i drop to 20-22fps because of all that folliage.

My hope is to play with mostly high-max"dx11" especially environment with a resolution of 1360x768 with great fps!

Hopefully, you guys can help me out XD

Julz

#2 Posted by PredatorRules (7793 posts) -

Either R9 270X or GTX760 are great GPUs at the same range price

#3 Edited by SolidSnakeJT (945 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

Either R9 270X or GTX760 are great GPUs at the same range price

i dont want anymore Radeon, i want to have PhysX when it's possible, but thanks anyway XD

But the real question is, would games like ac4, bf4, Crysis 3 etc run smoothly with high-max settings? "well i know Crysis might be pushing it a little though :P"

i dont want 200fps, just at least 35-40fps with as close to max settings as possible!

#4 Posted by PredatorRules (7793 posts) -

You wouldn't get 200fps even with 780ti; one 760 is fair enough for high graphics on those games, get another 760 in SLI and you can max those games easy.

#5 Posted by adamosmaki (9501 posts) -

with your cpu a 7870, r270, gtx 760 are what you will be looking for

As for physics there are only like 9-10 games that support it and even then only on 3-4 you will see any noticeable difference

My point been is to look for the best bang for your buck be it Radeon or Nvidia regardless of near useless features

Right now R270x or gtx 760 are great deals if you have the money. If not a 7870 or a Gtx 660, gtx660ti are also great options for around $200. And if you wanna go even cheaper even a 7850 or 650 ti boost will allow you to play most games at high or mostly high settings at 1080p at around 40-45fps

#6 Edited by 04dcarraher (19466 posts) -

GTX 760 will work with your pc and is a great buy, Just got mine from UPS today

#7 Edited by overhead_drums (312 posts) -

Just don't get used! Thought I'd add my thoughts… Buy new and shiny! :-D

#8 Posted by kraken2109 (13025 posts) -

A 760 will have no issues if you're only playing at 1366x768.

It's designed for 1080p gaming really.

#9 Posted by SolidSnakeJT (945 posts) -

You wouldn't get 200fps even with 780ti; one 760 is fair enough for high graphics on those games, get another 760 in SLI and you can max those games easy.

i know, it was sarcasm, because most people want 60+fps but i dont care about that, at 40fps its way more than playable enough XD

#10 Edited by SolidSnakeJT (945 posts) -

@adamosmaki:

@adamosmaki said:

with your cpu a 7870, r270, gtx 760 are what you will be looking for

As for physics there are only like 9-10 games that support it and even then only on 3-4 you will see any noticeable difference

My point been is to look for the best bang for your buck be it Radeon or Nvidia regardless of near useless features

Right now R270x or gtx 760 are great deals if you have the money. If not a 7870 or a Gtx 660, gtx660ti are also great options for around $200. And if you wanna go even cheaper even a 7850 or 650 ti boost will allow you to play most games at high or mostly high settings at 1080p at around 40-45fps

Thanks, yeah i know that PhysX is kinda pointless but i always wanted to play batman games with it, and way back i really wanted to play mafia 2 lol

But, regardless of PhysX, Gtx760 still is an amazing card, and all of you seem to agree, like in every other GPU threads.

@PredatorRules said:

i know, it was sarcasm, because most people want 60+fps but i dont care about that, at 40fps its way more than playable enough XD

edit: Why did it double post my @PredatorRules quote?

#11 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

that one guy is a bit wrong, its more then 9-10 games that support physx, its over 30 games at least. maybe he meant 9-10 good games that support it, i can see that.

u can probably live without it, but in some games its pretty cool. Looked pretty crazy in Borderlands 2 with it and definitely helped fps rather then letting the cpu do it.

#12 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7384 posts) -

Amd tend to have better price:performance, but 760 will be more than sufficient of an upgrade.

#13 Edited by redbat32 (6 posts) -

well this is what i went with cuz it was cheap and i could have two running at the same time i bought the radeon hd5770 and bought a second one for dual crossfire mode you get a great benfit out of it and the cards only 50 bucks and less if you check around i also bought a 6 core proccesor amd 3.8 hertz

#14 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

Your CPU will run PhysX just fine. nVidia's main advantage is 3D at the moment. Personally, I'm more interested in AMD Mantle...

#15 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6038 posts) -

@SolidSnakeJT: better go with nvidia, the demand for radeon cards is through the roof right now, alot of them sell out so fast its not even funny, especially the higher end r290/290x and the older 7950/7970s. Freaking annoying that the prices of these cards aren't coming down, I want to pick one up off kijiji for cheap but it doesn't seem possible right now. Anyways I encourage you to get an nvidia card, the 760 is good enough.