I need recommendations on some good wireless routers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

We are wanting to connect 2 gaming rigs, 2 gaming consoles, several phones, and a tablet or two. (some will be wired, some will be wireless connections)

As well as a wireless printer, and the router we have now just doesn't want to connect using the WPS method, which is basically the only method our printer allows for us to do so....

We would like to upgrade routers, we are currently using a Linksys E3200 model. While everything else on it seems to be decent, the WPS is useless. Hopefully we can do better.

We figured we would try upgrading routers, as we have had this one about 4 years now. Brand doesn't matter, as long as it is solid all around. Also I don't want any routers that emit any noises, like high pitch frequencies for example.

We want something that isn't a PITA to work with, something intuitive, this router could definitely use improvements in that department.

I appreciate any good recommendations.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jr14
Member since 2004 • 2148 Posts

Netgear Nighthawk. Costed me around $300, but well worth it.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jr14

If you have cable Internet get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem too. Both of those have doubled my Internet speed.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Linksys got the best routers, if you do not pleased with your module just get a higher end one like the EA6900 or WRT1900

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lach0121

I was thinking of getting a higher/newer model Linksys. But its got to be better than this one.

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem I want to say. Its an Arris CM820. This was updated about 1.5 years ago.

I assume the higher end NetGear NightHawk routers are nice, but would they be able to facilitate this without me wanting to chunk it out the window? Back when I installed cable (well over a decade ago) I remember NetGear routers would be a pain to work with. However, the linksys routers were fantastic then, and that is basically all we have stuck with since.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Jr14 said:

Netgear Nighthawk. Costed me around $300, but well worth it.

This, currently the best wireless router on the market (the weird looking D-Link one is good too).

There are about 5 different versions of the Nighthawk, so choose depending on your needs.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lach0121

Well, I will more than likely give those Netgear Nighthawks a go.

I will just have to do some research on which one to actually get.

Jr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jr14

@FelipeInside: hmm didn't know there were 5 different ones I must have the first version that came out.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Lach0121:

Nighthawks are crap, get the Asus RT-AC87U

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:

@Lach0121:

Don't listen to this. They are good (the ASUS is too)

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:

@GTR12 said:

@Lach0121:

Only the R8000 v1 supports DD-WRT, all the versions of the Asus do, so when they drop support for it, your stuffed basically.

Also IMO the Netgear web setup is worse than the Asus.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

I would go ASUS, simply because I have never not been completely satisfied with an ASUS product, I have a lot of them too.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@GTR12 said:

@Lach0121:

Only the R8000 v1 supports DD-WRT, all the versions of the Asus do, so when they drop support for it, your stuffed basically.

Also IMO the Netgear web setup is worse than the Asus.

You really judging the quality of a product based on if it supports DD-WRT? Mmkay.

The TC won't even need to go there... he just wants a good strong router that will keep up with his gaming devices.

The ASUS is a good router, but they are fairly new to the scene and I've heard sometimes they lock up.

The Nighthawk has powerful antennas with 'beamforming', so if he wants maximum performance for gaming, they are good for that.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lach0121

Hmm I might actually do the Asus instead. I too have been using many Asus products for a while now, and have been pretty satisfied for the most part. Never tried their routers though. If we get a high priced router $150-$250 then I definitely want it to be able to handle anything that may happen, or come out in the not too distant future. However, I want it to also to be as close to "worth" the premium that either would cost in the here, and now as well.

I will compare reviews between the two (ASUS, and NightHawk), and any sales that may happen between the two of them.

I appreciate all the responses. So its safe to say if I go with either of these I should be getting a decent product huh? I think I want to give Linksys a break this time.

Sorry for the edits, I am getting quite sleepy.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside

@Lach0121 said:

Hmm I might actually do the Asus instead. I too have been using many Asus products for a while now, and have been pretty satisfied for the most part. Never tried their routers though. If we get a high priced router $150-$250 then I definitely want it to be able to handle anything that may happen, or come out in the not too distant future. However, I want it to also to be as close to the premium that either would cost in the here, and now as well.

I will compare reviews between the two (ASUS, and NightHawk), and any sales that may happen between the two of them.

I appreciate all the responses. So its safe to say if I go with either of these I should be getting a decent product huh? I think I want to give Linksys a break this time.

Either product is good, but check the following:

- Reviews on both

- Reviews on GAMING for both

- Features of each one and which ones you need/want/prefer (I like the 'beamforming' technology that Netgear has for example)

(Linksys is crap, get away from that)

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

I own both the N66U from Asus and the R7000 from Netgear... The Asus is far better. Netgear has a lot of wifi problems.

I would suggest the N66U because of 2 things. It's age and it uses MIPS. Which I find more reliable then ARM.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

I own both the N66U from Asus and the R7000 from Netgear... The Asus is far better. Netgear has a lot of wifi problems.

I would suggest the N66U because of 2 things. It's age and it uses MIPS. Which I find more reliable then ARM.

Can I ask what type of WiFi issues you are experiencing?

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Truth_Hurts_U

@FelipeInside:

Drops, no connection and slow speed.

The R7000 also leaks memory. The N66U has no leak, it's rock stead on RAM usage.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@FelipeInside:

Drops, no connection and slow speed.

The R7000 also leaks memory. The N66U has no leak, it's rock stead on RAM usage.

Latest firmware?

Just asking because I've set two up already (don't know if same R7000 version though) and no problems there.

Also all the reviews I've read say it's rock solid.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Truth_Hurts_U

@FelipeInside:

Yep, firmware is up to date. I had mine over a year now.

Newegg has a bunch of bad reviews.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:

You really judging the quality of a product based on if it supports DD-WRT? Mmkay.

The TC won't even need to go there... he just wants a good strong router that will keep up with his gaming devices.

The ASUS is a good router, but they are fairly new to the scene and I've heard sometimes they lock up.

The Nighthawk has powerful antennas with 'beamforming', so if he wants maximum performance for gaming, they are good for that.

"Beamforming" is old, every router supports that now, its a standard feature now.

The only differences between the 2 are;

Netgear: Supports tri-band wireless, so, 2x 5Ghz radios and 1x 2.4Ghz radio, so if you have A LOT of devices connected, it segregates users and/or it can help in a high traffic area with a lot of interference.

ASUS: MU-MIMO, its from the wireless N days, but now its, Multiple User-Multiple In Multiple Out, it also works over AC as well as N.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FelipeInside

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside said:

"Beamforming" is old, every router supports that now, its a standard feature now.

The only differences between the 2 are;

Netgear: Supports tri-band wireless, so, 2x 5Ghz radios and 1x 2.4Ghz radio, so if you have A LOT of devices connected, it segregates users and/or it can help in a high traffic area with a lot of interference.

ASUS: MU-MIMO, its from the wireless N days, but now its, Multiple User-Multiple In Multiple Out, it also works over AC as well as N.

Good to know.

He might be better off with the Netgear though since his words were "We are wanting to connect 2 gaming rigs, 2 gaming consoles, several phones, and a tablet or two."

But he's gonna do some research and decide.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

I'm reasonably happy with the Nighthawk X6 R8000.

I have one problem, but I don't know what it's related to and I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it, yet.

If I have my desktop and HTPC on different 5GHz signals, I sometimes get very high latency when trying to access folder shares or use remote desktop (to HTPC). If I keep them on the same 5GHz signal, it works fine. Ideally I'd like to have one on each, so I get the higher transfer speed (~20MBps vs ~30MBps).

Don't get any latency when accessing the folder share from my Android tablet so, it may not be entirely the router's fault. I may need to configure things better, I just couldn't be bothered.

Even now, I don't seem to be able to reproduce the problem.