I need advice on flight fighter sims...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Mancow_wrestler
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mancow_wrestler
Member since 2006 • 1249 Posts
Hey guys and girls, hopefully you can help me here. I used to be a hardcore fighter sim player back when Microsoft Combat Flight sim 1 was big, its been years since I played a flight sim though....whats big today? Whats the best fighter sim out there with a large community of gamers online playing?

Also...has anyone tried using a 360 controller instead of a joystick in these games? Was just curious to see how that worked out hehe.

Thanks for the help/advice though I really appreciate it.
pmqz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 pmqz
Member since 2003 • 78 Posts
I was talking about this a little while ago and I feel that there has not been any good fighter sims lately, LOMAC was the last one in around 2003.
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mancow_wrestler
I was talking about this a little while ago and I feel that there has not been any good fighter sims lately, LOMAC was the last one in around 2003.pmqz
And people play LOMAC? Im a big multiplayer gamer so I'd like someone to shoot at hehe.

EDIT: And whats a good popular WW2 shooter? :(
1Lonehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 1Lonehawk
Member since 2005 • 873 Posts
There is some kind of MMO online type flight combat game out. I can't remember the name of it now, but it came out a couple of years ago I think. I think it's called "Aces High" or something like that. I think the word "Aces" is in it but I can't remember now. Sorry, but maybe do a search and you'll find it or maybe someone else here knows what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure it's a WWII based game.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Lock-On: Modern Air Combat
IL-2 Sturmavik
Falcon 4.0: Allied Force

All the realistic fighter sims.  There is also a MS Combat Flight Simulator 3 or something, looks pretty good I hear its got really good ground textures for flying low and stuff.

LTZH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 LTZH
Member since 2003 • 2704 Posts
Flightsim X LOMAC is ok, but falcon 4.0 allied force is way better IL2 and Pacific Fighters
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mancow_wrestler
Is there a difference between IL2 and IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles?
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mrbojangles25

Is there a difference between IL2 and IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles?Mancow_wrestler

The second is the expansion i think

Captain-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Captain-Seal
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts

Is there a difference between IL2 and IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles?Mancow_wrestler

If you end up getting Il-Sturmovik I suggest waiting till March 13th because IL-Sturmovik 1946 comes out. It's a new update for the game plus all previous installments. 

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

IL-2 Sturmovik was the first flight sim released by 1C:Maddox games and it covered the Eastern Front in WWII.

IL-2 Strumovik: Forgotten Battles was originally intended to be an expansion for the first game, but the developers decided that there was enough new content and changes to the game engine that they released it as a new game. 

Next came and expansion pack for Forgotten Battles called the Ace's Expansion Pack .  It added a bunch of new (mostly Western Allied fighters) to the game.

Next was Pacific Fighters.  You could buy and play it as a stand alone game or you could merge it with Forgotten Battles and turn everything into one huge game.

Next came a series of free patches which added a lot of new aircraft and maps. 

Ubisoft changed direction with patch 4.05 and decided that it would not be a free patch/expansion pack but instead would be made available by download only (except in Russia where you could buy it on CD).  The download delivery system, called BoontyBox) was less than optimal and a lot of buyers had problems.  Ubi had intended to release a further 2 downloadable expansions using the same system, but due to the negative feedback with the delivery system, they decided to pack everything into a DVD called IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

So there you have it.  If you've never played the IL-2 series, go get the IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 DVD and you'll get the whole package all on one easy to install DVD.

Having said that, since the release of the DVD, a further 2 patches (both free) have come out adding even more planes and maps.

The IL-2 series is very, very good but the single player game has definite problems.  The AI is still very suspect.  Your wingmen often fly into each other, hillsides, you, etc.  They ignore threats much of the time and can't seem to hit anything that slowly banks to the left or right.  They also seem to possess only two flight routines,  dogfighter or boom and zoomer.  Dogfighters always end up doing corkscrewing barrelrolls down to the deck and then rolling scissors.  Boom and Zoomers dive until they are outnumbered and then get into ridiculously tedious slow, circling climbs to the upper limit of the plane engine.  Nothing spells fun like spending 20 minutes climbing to 8,000 metres, diving to the deck and doing it all over again. 

On the other hand, the multiplayer aspect is fantastic and the community is very vibrant.  There are a great variety of servers offering up whatever you want.  Dogfight servers, Bomber servers, Co-op servers, Clan servers, Western Front, Eastern Front, Pacific Theatre, The Med...  Full real servers with no external views, no icons and tags (my personal faves) or relaxed realism servers with external views, name icons and mid-air respawns.

If you mostly play offline, you should check out Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory.  The 2.05 patch fixes almost all of the bugs and the single player game is much more immersive than IL-2's.  It should be as there is no multiplayer capability with BoBII.

Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mancow_wrestler
I actually normally only play online against people. I think I'll get the upcoming IL2: 1942. Looks like I can get it now... Link
GeForce2187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GeForce2187
Member since 2006 • 2963 Posts

[QUOTE="Mancow_wrestler"]Is there a difference between IL2 and IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles?mrbojangles25

The second is the expansion i think

actually its a remake
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

I actually normally only play online against people. I think I'll get the upcoming IL2: 1942. Looks like I can get it now... Link
Mancow_wrestler

You might also want to check out these guys for PC games.

NWS-Online

Couple other things.  If you do get IL-2:1946.  I highly recommend that you get the Hyperlobby program.  It's a bit like XFire, but only for flight sims.  IT offers up many more servers than you'll find on the UBI lobby.  It also makes connecting to them a breeze.

You'll need to get a joystick. The game just isn't playable with a control pad.  Most guys use the Saitek x52 but I don't like it because it doesn't have force feedback.  I'm still using my old MS Sidewinder 2 and I love it.   Shame MS stopped making them.  I hear the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force is the best best if you want a new force feedback stick.

Finally, if you do get into the sim, I highly recommend picking up a Track IR unit.  It allows you to look around your cockpit just as a real pilot would by tracking your head movements and amplifying them and implementing that into the game.  A slight turn of your head to the left will result in a change in your onscreen point of view so that it looks like the virtual pilot is looking out over his left shoulder.  It's an amazing little gizmo and it works with a lot of games. 

NoRemnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 NoRemnants
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
there aren't really any good combat flight sims around anymore... and a good WW2 shooter would be the CoD series.
Mancow_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Mancow_wrestler
there aren't really any good combat flight sims around anymore... and a good WW2 shooter would be the CoD series.XBSHX
Sorry I meant flight shooters.... cod is great though hehe
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25

I sort of miss the old days, back when there were more casual sims such as Jane's ATF, NAVY Fighters, etc.  It seems now that if you want a simulator, you gotta go with the ultra realistic ones (Falcon 4.0, LOMAC, etc) or youre left in the dust.  Im not saying I want arcade, just something easier to jump into.  Theyre still fun if you can devote the hours needed to learn how to fly your plane to the utmost potential, but its really hard to learn, especially since they dont make detailed manuals like they used to (and I refuse to pay or download or print out the hundreds of pages for the manual).

Remember when Falcon 4.0 came out?  It came in a binder four inches thick!