How's Dark Souls II on PC doing at the moment?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

I remember buying it right after its release and abandoning it due to its numerous flaws. Are they fixed by now, or did the creators just went the EA way and released DLC instead of patching the game? I'm mainly talking about these issues:

1. Broken hit detection - you could get hit by a weapon when you weren't supposed to, and similarly you could miss an attack when the weapon hit the enemy point-blank.

2. Tracking - enemies spinning around as if they were standing on top of a record player, ensuring they never miss you and are always facing you.

3. Bugs and glitches connected to the game running at 60 FPS - faster weapon decay, faster enemies' and player's combat animations, less i-frames during dodges etc.

And why exacly am I asking this? I'm thinking of giving the game another shot with a more open-minded approach (specifically: not treating it like a sequel to Dark Souls, but rather as a generic fantasy action game), but don't know if the game's creators persisted in their bad design decisions or not.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Never experienced #1, but it's probably linked to #3, the fact you're running the game at 60 FPS. The game wasn't made to run at 60 FPS. This will never be fixed. Attempting to run the game at 60 FPS will cause hit detection problems, parry-timing problems, and a myriad of others. There should be zero, or almost zero hit detection issues. As for #2, some enemies will always face you to prevent an easy backstab, it's not a bug, it's just the way they programmed the enemies.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xxninja666xx

@KHAndAnime said:

Never experienced #1, but it's probably linked to #3, the fact you're running the game at 60 FPS. The game wasn't made to run at 60 FPS. This will never be fixed. Attempting to run the game at 60 FPS will cause hit detection problems, parry-timing problems, and a myriad of others. There should be zero, or almost zero hit detection issues. As for #2, some enemies will always face you to prevent an easy backstab, it's not a bug, it's just the way they programmed the enemies.

So basically, it's still a pile of mess it used to be with absolutely zero improvement? I think I'll pass on this game, then and keep regretting spending money on it.

And by the way, I don't understand, why couldn't they just lock the game at 30fps and release it that way instead of going for 60? I'm pretty sure they knew the outcome, considering they programmed behavior timer/clock to be framerate-dependent.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintSatan
Member since 2003 • 1986 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

I remember buying it right after its release and abandoning it due to its numerous flaws. Are they fixed by now, or did the creators just went the EA way and released DLC instead of patching the game? I'm mainly talking about these issues:

1. Broken hit detection - you could get hit by a weapon when you weren't supposed to, and similarly you could miss an attack when the weapon hit the enemy point-blank.

2. Tracking - enemies spinning around as if they were standing on top of a record player, ensuring they never miss you and are always facing you.

3. Bugs and glitches connected to the game running at 60 FPS - faster weapon decay, faster enemies' and player's combat animations, less i-frames during dodges etc.

And why exacly am I asking this? I'm thinking of giving the game another shot with a more open-minded approach (specifically: not treating it like a sequel to Dark Souls, but rather as a generic fantasy action game), but don't know if the game's creators persisted in their bad design decisions or not.

I've been playing since launch and I've never experienced even one of those problems. Seems like you have some computer issues.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By xxninja666xx

@k3ck said:

I've been playing since launch and I've never experienced even one of those problems. Seems like you have some computer issues.

Just because you didn't notice them, doesn't mean they aren't there. Here's some proof.

Video 1

Video 2 (watch until 7:56)

GIF

EDIT:

Here is another one showing enemy tracking I found just now

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SaintSatan

@xxninja666xx: Doesn't affect me at all. Sorry such silly little problems spoil all of your fun. It's an amazing game and I've enjoyed every second of it.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xxninja666xx

@saintsatan said:

@xxninja666xx: Doesn't affect me at all. Sorry such silly little problems spoil all of your fun. It's an amazing game and I've enjoyed every second of it.

To me these problems aren't exactly "little" and "silly", as they affect major parts of the gameplay. But suit yourself.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Actually only 3 is PC specific, the other two are things people have been complaining about since console launch. Honestly I have never seen anything strange with hit detection. As you said enemies are fast to turn to prevent backstab, seems normal, if you are sneaky enough they will never notice you anyways, it would be a problem if you couldn't be sneaky. I never found less time to react to be a problem since I never played the console versions(ps3 was at most 30fps, 360 was at most 40fps) so I was simply learning to do it from zero anyways, but I think I see how this could be a problem for people who already had "mastered" it on consoles and had to relearn on PC.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xxninja666xx
@glez13 said:

Honestly I have never seen anything strange with hit detection.

Here's a reddit thread for you, full of videos and gifs, so you can see it's actually pretty horrible.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintSatan
@xxninja666xx said:
@glez13 said:

Here's a reddit thread for you, full of videos and gifs, so you can see it's actually pretty horrible.

How often does it happen? Once every 5 hours?

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xxninja666xx

@saintsatan said:
@xxninja666xx said:
@glez13 said:

How often does it happen? Once every 5 hours?

Stuff like that happened to me quite often, especially in Forest of The Fallen Giants and Lost Bastille.

SaintSatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SaintSatan

Oh well I haven't had a single problem with the game. I think this is one of those problems that only affect people that take video games way too seriously.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxninja666xx

@saintsatan said:

Oh well I haven't had a single problem with the game. I think this is one of those problems that only affect people that take video games way too seriously.

Well... at least you're not telling me I suck at the game and have to get good at it because there's no way I could have not liked something about it otherwise (and there's a lot of that going on in threads about Dark Souls).

Anyways, I'm not going to bother playing this game again, since FromSoft didn't bother to fix it. Thread's over.