How do you choose your games?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SgtSilock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 SgtSilock
Member since 2005 • 3167 Posts
I thought i would create a thread on how people decide what games to purchase. I.E do you make your discision what reviews tell you or do you look at the back of the box and see if it sounds good, or do you focus on the game untill release and then buy it. A good examble of this is Crysis which i imagine most of you are following and are going to buy. I will be honest, i go by the reviews. Though i really shouldnt, its a habbit i am trying to break, i want to beable to buy games by if i like the sound of em or not. What about you?
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Normally, I just have a look around various game websites, normally Gamespot and IGN for the news on the lastest games or to see if there is any news on any new games. If a game looks and sounds interesting i'll follow the game and see how it turns out. For reviews, I read Gamespot, IGN and my PCZONE magazine, and have a look to see if there are any games that sound as if they are worth picking up. Occasionally if I suddenly find an interesting sounding game out of the blue and it has a demo, I will download it and give it a spin to see if it is any good. If it's good, it will most likely result in my purchasing the game.
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
I won't get a game anymore without reading at least somekind of review of it, usually I do a lot of background checking(screenshots, user and pro reviews, gameplay videos) before I do anything, I don't try demos tho, it's too slow to download them. Exceptions are sequels to games that I love like Kotor2 or games that belong to rare genres that I love, like spacesims.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#4 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
I read reviews but I rarely base my purchases on them. Some of the best games I own have been rated pretty poorly by certain websites. Sometimes though, if a game gets poor reviews across the board, I usually hold off on getting it, until at some point I forget about the damn thing. Usually I just keep my eyes on the game, check previews, screenshots, promotional websites and listen to other people's opinions. I can't remember the last time I went into a store without knowing exactly what I was going to buy...
IMuGGeDSaTaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 IMuGGeDSaTaN
Member since 2007 • 485 Posts
I go by what the reviewers say. If the game has something they say is bad and I like it I take that into consideration.
belboz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 belboz
Member since 2003 • 1548 Posts
I also go by reviews. But some games, I hust have to get no matter what, like games from Bioware. Jade Empire got a sad 7.8 (or so) in reviews, but I bought it anyway.
piedude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 piedude
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

I just read reviews/previews and view screenshots and keep track of the progress of them and then decide if its worth getting

But it is mainly the previews/reviews that i do follow. If you get say IGN and Gamespot both saying that XXXXX game lacks this, that and something else then they cant both be wrong so you know its not worth getting :) 

A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

i don't use reviews at all, i can usually smell a good game a long way off, so i just go by instinct, and use demos when i'm not sure

i used to use reviews when i was younger - but i don't feel a need to any more, the more i've played games, the more i've just gotten a feel for quality - but i also listen to people whose opinions i respect (close friends or random forum guys who seem vaguely intelligent!!) - i generally ignore user reviews as well, though - if there's one thing you can't trust, it's the opinion of the masses

my general bitterness and cynicism means i never have high expectations, so i'm never disappointed with my purchases - because, yeah, i have made mistakes (i'm looking at you dark messiah!)

it works out nice

ulkas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ulkas
Member since 2002 • 60 Posts
I'd say reviews, friends and quantity/price. With quantity/price I mean I buy a lot of those older games that are sold for $15 or less. Many of them I will never complete, yet without the after market for older games I would have missed a lot of very games, that in cases have received bad reviews or sold little. Examples: Project Eden, Rune, Beyond Good and Evil, Deus Ex 2, Thief 2 etc etc. Full price games I nowadays buy only a few. Oblivion was my last, which I bought because I had played Morrowind before and loved it, which in turn was recommended by Gamespot, and was also squarely in the category of games I like. I also tend to read the worst user reviews on otherwise highly rated games, to see if there are flaws I would consider serious.
Full-Throttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Full-Throttle
Member since 2004 • 2432 Posts
Umm sometimes go by reviews. Mostly demos though or I do alot of research into a specific game, such as watch movies, ready stuff. Because there is alot of bad games out there and you have to be cautious.
Begemott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Begemott
Member since 2005 • 808 Posts
I got immi minny moe from each genre, and then immi minny moe for the final round
Rickylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rickylee
Member since 2002 • 1342 Posts
Usually I only buy FPS and RPG games. I research articles and reviews always. That in turn gets me in trouble because I'll see a game in another genre that looks good so I buy it. I won't buy what I consider a short game until the price comes down (Gun and Prey). I will pay full price for a game sometimes but usually I wait for them to go on sale or for the price to come down. I paid full price for HL2, FEAR, Doom 3, Oblivion and lately Stalker. The worst part is I have a sizable collection of good games that I've never installed. I always tell myself I will one day but I never seem to get the time.
Liliroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Liliroots
Member since 2004 • 1411 Posts
Fun is the most essential component I look for. It must fit either Shooter, RPG, RTS, or Sim(some other I won't mention). Then comes the graphics. Personally, I don't think graphics is way of importance since I have a old and crappy computer. And sometimes I go with the reviews. If a bunch of people saying this game is buggy as crap, I probably won't play it. And if people gave it a 5/10 I definitely won't play it no matter what the graphic is. As for things like game length, I might consider. I'm a poor guy, literally, so I buy games that is worth its dollars in single and multi.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
I won't get a game anymore without reading at least somekind of review of it, usually I do a lot of background checking(screenshots, user and pro reviews, gameplay videos) before I do anything, I don't try demos tho, it's too slow to download them. Exceptions are sequels to games that I love like Kotor2 or games that belong to rare genres that I love, like spacesims.EntwineX
There hasnt been a spacesim out in awhile. I guess because spacesims dont require much fine-tuning. By fine-tuning I mean that they basicly CANT mess up a spacesim.
SaliSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaliSB
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
see for me,, what i like to do is feel around in my wallet, if there is money there than i decide to purchase a ............................................shelf.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
reviews, gameplay vids, demos and price.
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
I have to give to sites like Gamespot and IGN for pumping me with news and updates about games, but I hardly ever base my purchase off of a review. Luckily, buddy keys (for MMOs) and demos save me money. The word on the forums can be a good place to go (and sometimes a not so very good place).
akeanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 akeanon
Member since 2006 • 93 Posts

i used to use reviews when i was younger - but i don't feel a need to any more, the more i've played games, the more i've just gotten a feel for quality - but i also listen to people whose opinions i respect (close friends or random forum guys who seem vaguely intelligent!!) - i generally ignore user reviews as well, though - if there's one thing you can't trust, it's the opinion of the masses

A-S_FM

I agree.  I like to read previews, see what the buzz is, and then I make the best selection on my intuition, preferences, and experience.  I no longer trust reviews because of advertising influences or reviewers that just don't understand gaming/hate certain genres but still review the game.

Like one poster said, choose for fun!  I don't care if the game got a 1 on the scale, if I like it, I like it.  I don't have to justify to anyone or argue.  If that game is enjoyable, then it was worth the cash.

I have made my mistakes, but I can live with them.  It's all about the gaming experience, at least in my estimation. 

phalluman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 phalluman
Member since 2004 • 961 Posts
i go to bittorrent sites. whatever game has the most seeders, i usually will end up buying 90% of the time, it works 100% of the time
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I read the review and watch gameplay video.
cleeetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cleeetus
Member since 2007 • 104 Posts
usually i read the reviews from websites or play a demo
Samulies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Samulies
Member since 2005 • 1658 Posts
I go by the community buzz, such as STALKER.
revryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 revryk
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Demos-demos-demos

If a company wants me to spend my money it, they better let me try it before I waste $50 and a weekend playing it.

skycracksopen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skycracksopen
Member since 2003 • 93 Posts
a demo is the most important thing, if there is one available. if there isn't one, then gameplay movies are really important. i very rarely buy a game just based on reviews or screenshots.
hippygoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hippygoat
Member since 2005 • 134 Posts
i get any game rated over 8 either here or at ign.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I go by previews more than I do reviews.  I usually skip the run-of-the-mill stuff such as what type of enemies, weapons, etc are going to be in the game and look at the unique stuff the game may or may not have.  If it has a unique environment (such as STALKER), an outstanding story (such as KOTOR), or something else then it gets my attention. 

Then I usually ignore it for a while (hype kills games for me, learned that from my experience with Tiberian Sun and more recently Supreme Commander).  When I see that its getting close to release, I wait for a review.  If the game gets a decent score (anything over 7.0 at Gamespot) then I consider purchasing it.  Also, rarely do I ever buy games that dont have demos or are not similiar enough to a previous game that I dont know what to expect (i.e. Jade Empire didnt have a demo, but having played KOTOR gave me a good idea of what to expect).

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#28 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

For me is all about what makes me interested.  When I first hear about a game, I like to look at the screenshots and read the previews to see what the game is about.  More then often the screenshots will get me interested right away.  I will even wait for gamespot, ign and pcgamer to do their ratings.

Bombinshoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bombinshoe
Member since 2006 • 317 Posts
I post up a list of games and throw a few darts
wurn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#30 wurn
Member since 2004 • 2258 Posts

I read the REVIEWS but not the score of the game. GS gave Test Drive Unlimited only 7.5 which in my mind should be 10. So i was sceptical before buying the game, but now that i have it, it is waaaayyyy better than what i could have imagined.

So read the review and then best thing to do is ASK HERE OR ANY OTHER GAMING FORUM and hear from the guys that is actually playing the game. I find the best info from the guys here, honestly.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
I go by community buzz\hype, scores from multiple websites, previews, how hyped I am about the game, and reviews.
Toshan1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Toshan1337
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
I watch gameplay videos, read reviews from gamespot and PC Gamer Sweden. And if there's a demo i try it.
Warpld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#33 Warpld
Member since 2007 • 132 Posts
I usually have something that I look for in a certain genre of games. I form my expectations based on previews and watch the development process. I might read a few reviews to see if the game has what I am looking for. When they are out, I download them for free and see if they are worth the money. If they are, I go and buy them. And before someone jumps that I download games, let me tell you that I currently have 380 PC titles and 19 PSX titles.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#34 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I go by the reviews, hype and demos. I am not much of a fan boy, so I wouldn't buy games sequels and expansions if they are not good. But I guess you can say that I am quite biased towards the works of id software.
MegaWang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MegaWang
Member since 2006 • 287 Posts

i don't use reviews at all, i can usually smell a good game a long way off, so i just go by instinct, and use demos when i'm not sure

my general bitterness and cynicism means i never have high expectations, so i'm never disappointed with my purchases - because, yeah, i have made mistakes (i'm looking at you Gothic3!)

it works out nice

A-S_FM

Same here.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
if the game is already out, ill come on here and c what ppl have to say about it. if its not released, like i did with stalker, so many ppl were getting it i just thought looks good..I'm gonna go get it!
JimmyLuong25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JimmyLuong25
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts
Seriusly wat is the point to choice if you can get them all......as long as you got $ and enogh PC power to handle that game.Anyway i prefer to read preview and then review if it good i buy it but it usually depent of wat kind of game that i want right at the moment .Like i will go for an 8.5 score shooter(Stalker) rather than an 9.0 strategy(C&C:3)because i just getting tired of Supreme Commander 
norwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 norwish
Member since 2004 • 437 Posts

I'm not the richest person in the world, so I research as much as possible before buying; unless it has a very good advertisement. xD

Usually I start with something that I'm interested in. Then I go online and look at screenshots, look at videos and determine if this is my kind of thing. If so, I'll read some reviews (though they rarely sway my decision, unless there's an obvious pattern in scores), and finally I check the price tag. =)

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 Cerza
Member since 2005 • 1946 Posts
First I check out the game to see if it interests me. If it's a PC game I then check if my system will be able to handle it. Then I check out who is developing it and who is publishing it. If i'm not totally turned off by this point I check out the hands on impressions, followed by the reviews from all the sites such as gamespot. If the reviewer is someone of merit I will listen to it, if not then I go by the average score all the review sites have given the game. Then if I still want the game I ask myself how much money do I have, how badly do I need a new game, and how bored am I with what I am currently playing. If everything checks out then I get the game. :)
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I take all the names of current games and write them down on pieces of paper. I then throw them into a hat, shuffle them around, and have my 4 year old pick a couple out. Viola! I have yet to purchase a poor game using this method, and can recommend it whole-heartily to anyone else.
Kyuso84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kyuso84
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

I do some background research like reviews and screenshots, but I never know unless I have tried it myself so if the game sounds good and the story is alright I take a shot at it.

Most important for me will be the story or settings of the game.

sudpavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 sudpavan
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

I go to reviews (in some cases cost & download size).

the majoy i see is the rating , particularly to the lifespan of the game.

The graphics and others are quite weighted but the lifespan of the game and its effect on the gammer is what i consider much 

PC-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PC-Gamer
Member since 2006 • 463 Posts
If a game interests me I'll read a couple of reviews from different sites. If there's a demo I'll download. I usually look at some gameplay footage and watch any video reviews (if any). There have been a couple of times where I've bought a game cause I thought I'd like it, Battlefield 2 for example.
Velric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Velric
Member since 2003 • 3842 Posts

Quite a few things get factored into my game purchases.

In no particular order:

- Previous titles made by the developer and whether or not they were critically acclaimed (in cases where I didn't care to play these previous titles) or titles that I have previously enjoyed from them.

- New appealing gameplay. Is the game offering something new I am interested in?

- Genre. Most RPG's will get at least a rental from me.

- Mood. Sometimes I'll pick up random budget titles or something I wasn't previously very interested in just as a change of pace.

- Somtimes, what a review says, not how it is scored. There are plenty of games I never have to look at a review for to decide if I want to buy them, but these are usually games that fall into the "previous titles" category I listed above. If the title is something I have never heard of (which is rare) or is something I am very unsure of or have heard other people not liking (such as the recent Armored Core 4), I will read reviews and form my opinion. I like to pick through the reviews and look at what they thought was done well and then decide if what they disliked is something that I would also dislike. 

sudpavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 sudpavan
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
by most of the posts here one can say that the graphics, then innovativeness, sound, life of the gameplay and certain features effect. Is their anything new idea, creative?
agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#46 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
I choose games by my intrests and the reviews and feedback from Gamespot and PC Gamer.
nightharvest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nightharvest
Member since 2005 • 1782 Posts

Four parts instinct and one part research. It's worked about 90% of the time.

8)

eclarkdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#48 eclarkdog
Member since 2004 • 1310 Posts
First of all, I generally keep an eye out for games in the genres I like (don't like FPS or anything GTA-like). I then read the expert reviews and balance them with the player reviews. I don't think there's anything wrong with basing your purchase off reviews. I find that player reviews are very important in creating a balance with the experts' reviews for the very simple reason that the experts can be wrong. Also, experts often play games before they are appropriately patched and dog a game as a result. Another issue is when an expert doesn't really get the game because it's revolutionary, too hard, or maybe just not their type of game. The nice thing about Gamespot is they generally provide their review, player review average, and external review average. I take all into consideration before making a purchase. In addition, I rarely buy a game when it's first released unless I know I'll like it because it's a sequel to a series I love - say like Tomb Raider or PoP. Again, I place a lot of value on player reviews. However, I have to wait a few weeks until the review average is stabilized and here's why.... Gamespot has a lot a very knowledgeable gamers who use the site and review games. They take their reviews and rating very seriously. However, there are quite a few gamers who review games but the score/rating they give the game often does not appear in line with the written review. How many of you have read through reviews of a game and seen some review basically rip a game but give it a 7.0 or higher. It happens all the time. Really peeves me. The last Commandos game - an FPS which was a horrible game and idea - has many examples of this type of review.
Captain-Seal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Captain-Seal
Member since 2004 • 505 Posts

I look at what previous titles there are

Originality if there is any

How well the gameplay is and how well multiplayer will be

and last of all I'll check reviews from players and other sites.

brood_aliance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 brood_aliance
Member since 2004 • 1005 Posts
1. Look at reviews. Newer gamespot reviews have "The Good, The Bad." If it says anything like "Crappy multiplayer, or Laggy Multiplayer" I most likely wont buy the game. Gamerankings is another site I look at. 2. I play demos. Everyone has different opinions. A Game rated badly could be a good game for another person (cough... Burnout Legends for DS ...cough). I used to never look at reviews and made some crap decisions (Tactical Ops, Allied Assault).