Hitman: Absolution is $5. Is it worth my time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

Now that I work for a living, one thing I find to be true is that I have moderately more disposable income to spend on games, and far less free time in which to play them.

With that , and the fact that I'm a huge fan of Hitman: Blood Money in mind, is Hitman: Absolution worth my time? What do the people who have played it think?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

For $5, hell yeah...

People bag it on these forums but it has it's merits and it's fun in parts.

I haven't finished it so can't comment on overall story elements, but I've played the first 6 levels so I know how it plays, just need to get around to finishing it.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Absolutely. Like every other Hitman game, the more patient you are with it, the more you will enjoy it. Always some nagging design flaws, but never enough to keep it from being challenging and fun.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

It was a fun game and definitely worth $5.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#5 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I'd pass on it. Its a very scrappy game that will take you quite a few hours to complete. That's if you persist with its many, terrible flaws. Do you need to play a Hitman game right now? If not, wait for the next one.

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

If your prepared for more linearity (though most areas are fairly open), and an annoying disguise mechanic (better after last patch)

For $5 I would get it personally.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

It had its flaws compared to other hitman games, but I honestly don't understand the excessive bashing this game gets because I have about 50 hours+ logged in and I very much enjoyed it, even with an annoying new disguise mechanic, annoying runaway levels and levels broken up into segments instead of one large area. And this is coming from a die hard hitman fan. It was a step back in couple of important areas, but it was also a step forward in just as many areas.

Snakpakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Snakpakk
Member since 2013 • 118 Posts

I'll echo what everyone else has been saying, yeah, its a great game. If you're a fan of the franchise you'll like this one too and for $5, its easier to overlook its flaws. Enjoy.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I liked it quite a bit. It has it's flaws, but it has pretty high moments.

One thing I'd recommend is not to play the most difficult modes. The last two, I believe, don't work well with it's mechanics; they were tacked-on to please a purist crowd. More frustrating than anything.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I've tried to play the 2nd level on the hardest difficulty, wow who knew being an assassin is that hard, I guess they work hard for that 50,000$ minimum per hit.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

For 5$ I would definitely say yes!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 biggest_loser

@way2funny said:

It had its flaws compared to other hitman games, but I honestly don't understand the excessive bashing this game gets because I have about 50 hours+ logged in and I very much enjoyed it, even with an annoying new disguise mechanic, annoying runaway levels and levels broken up into segments instead of one large area. And this is coming from a die hard hitman fan. It was a step back in couple of important areas, but it was also a step forward in just as many areas.

What steps forward did it take for you?

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 way2funny

@biggest_loser said:

@way2funny said:

I think the cover system was much needed, the controls in general were generally more fluid, and more non lethal approaches, not just syringes like the previous games. I think that is the biggest step forward the series took.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

lol people keep mentioning flaws but dont list them. I own the game, played it for a while, couldnt get into it, but it was hard to stay interested in. There were some nice segments but the games stealth was kinda lame and you didnt always feel like the badass you are. I also thought that Agent 47 was really stiff in animation and expression. Sure hes a Hitman but...

The gameplay WAS pretty fluid though. I couldnt complain about the shooting or various other assassination methods or the visuals at that. It was a pretty good looking game. I dont know. Ive since set the game aside as a game I probably wont finish. Though I dont feel too bad about that.

I think Im observing this thread hoping to find a reason to play it again. lol.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By way2funny

@Gamesterpheonix said:

lol people keep mentioning flaws but dont list them. I own the game, played it for a while, couldnt get into it, but it was hard to stay interested in. There were some nice segments but the games stealth was kinda lame and you didnt always feel like the badass you are. I also thought that Agent 47 was really stiff in animation and expression. Sure hes a Hitman but...

The gameplay WAS pretty fluid though. I couldnt complain about the shooting or various other assassination methods or the visuals at that. It was a pretty good looking game. I dont know. Ive since set the game aside as a game I probably wont finish. Though I dont feel too bad about that.

So couple things. Hitman was never really exactly a stealth game. Its honestly more of a puzzle game with multiple ways to accomplish your mission. Its more about figuring out how what disguise to get and when, and using your environment to accomplish your mission. The joy comes from exploring your environments and figuring out how to get past certain obstacles using disguises, whether they are in a locker or require you to knock someone out or kill someone. Not exactly in sneaking around without being detected. Hitman in general seems like a large extrapolation of the mission in Thief "Undercover", which is almost like a reverse stealth game. You aren't really avoiding people, you are more just being present in the areas your disguise allows you to be in.

And two, the stiff animation and expression is intentional, and imo iconic. The emotionless face and very 'terminator' like movement is explained by agent 47's history. The thing is, he is bad ass, but he was never one to brag about it.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser

@way2funny said:

@biggest_loser said:

@way2funny said:

I think the cover system was much needed, the controls in general were generally more fluid, and more non lethal approaches, not just syringes like the previous games. I think that is the biggest step forward the series took.

Is it really an accomplishment that the controls were more fluid given that should have been done several games earlier??

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By biggest_loser

@Gamesterpheonix said:

I didn't list the flaws because I've been over them many times on this forum, like the watered down assassinations, poor AI and checkpoints system.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 way2funny

@biggest_loser said:

@Gamesterpheonix said:

I didn't list the flaws because I've been over them many times on this forum, like the watered down assassinations, poor AI and checkpoints system.

The checkpoint system was not that great, and I don't see much of a difference with the assassinations.

Also, the AI wasn't really poor, it was actually better than previous games. The difference was they changed how the disguise mechanic works, not that the AI has gotten poor. Which a lot of people didn't like and understandably so. However the upside is they made the mechanic MUCH more transparent. The disguise system in the previous games were cool but it was confusing to understand how it worked. I remember being spotted in a disguise once, reloading and not being spotted a second time (while doing the exact same thing, no I wasn't running). Also the controls are of course an accomplishment, the input is one of the most important parts in a video game.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

No.

Just replay hitman blood money.

Brendissimo35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Brendissimo35
Member since 2005 • 1934 Posts

I decided to pass on the game for now. My backlog is just too big. Thanks for the input guys.