Help, Can't play games on my TV

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MotoRacer81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MotoRacer81
Member since 2007 • 720 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question, but I can't play my PC games on my TV. I have a Samsung 720p/1080i TV 40". I always play games on my 22" monitor, but yesterday I wanted to play GTR2 on the TV. I connected the PC to the TV using a DVI to HDMI cable. The resolution was messed up initially as the edges of my screen weren't showing, then I was able to find the proper resolution that gave a full screen. when I tried launching the game, it gave me an error and did not work. when I disconnect from the TV and connect to the Monitor, the game works just fine. So I know it's a resolution issue. I put down the resolution in the options menu in the GTR2 menu to the lowest possible (it wasn't a number, it just said Low, weired? not sure), and then relaunched the game on the TV, and still does not work. My PC set up is in my Sig. Also, on a side note, if I go and update my GC driver to the latest Nvidia driver, Far Cry 2 won't work anymore, so I don't really want to upgrade the driver, although I reverse it easily. Thanks.
mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#2 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts
I know this might be a stupid question, but I can't play my PC games on my TV. I have a Samsung 720p/1080i TV 40". I always play games on my 22" monitor, but yesterday I wanted to play GTR2 on the TV. I connected the PC to the TV using a DVI to HDMI cable. The resolution was messed up initially as the edges of my screen weren't showing, then I was able to find the proper resolution that gave a full screen. when I tried launching the game, it gave me an error and did not work. when I disconnect from the TV and connect to the Monitor, the game works just fine. So I know it's a resolution issue. I put down the resolution in the options menu in the GTR2 menu to the lowest possible (it wasn't a number, it just said Low, weired? not sure), and then relaunched the game on the TV, and still does not work. My PC set up is in my Sig. Also, on a side note, if I go and update my GC driver to the latest Nvidia driver, Far Cry 2 won't work anymore, so I don't really want to upgrade the driver, although I reverse it easily. Thanks.MotoRacer81
Make sure your graphics card is HDCP compatible and supports HDTV. If not, then that is probably your problem.
MotoRacer81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MotoRacer81
Member since 2007 • 720 Posts
Make sure your graphics card is HDCP compatible and supports HDTV. If not, then that is probably your problem.mhofever
I don't think that's the problem. here is the specs of the specific graphic card I purchased which is the 8800GT. it says that it is HDCP ready 8800 GT newegg
tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
Maybe its a refresh rate problem?
johnmacalister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnmacalister
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

hello dont worry i have the same problem as you. i have to run my pc throught my av connection. if i sort it out will try and let you know

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts

Screen Resolution is also very important, TVs are more picky about resolution and refresh rates than monitors.

My TV can display up to 1920 x 1080 BUT when I'm in Windows mode, the fonts are so small it is hard to read them. So I just use 1360 x 768 which is perfect, I can surf the web, use applications, play all my games, and trust me what a difference it is to play Guild Wars on a 67" as opposed to my old 21" LCD monitor I used to own (sold it to my bro). ;)