Help. Appdata monero virus?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hagiiiiiiiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hagiiiiiiiiii
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts

Hello, I am new to computers and about a month ago I bought a new graphics card with 2 free AMD games, after installing the games, something called Crofxx started showing in the taskbar eating up 90% of my GPU, I tried uninstalling it several times but it' just re-installs itself after a couple of hours. How can I uninstall it permanently? Any help would be much appreciated.

MillCityMadman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MillCityMadman
Member since 2012 • 26 Posts

I don't know what that application is, but have you scanned your computer for malware? I suggest Malware bytes if you don't have it, it does a good job. I run this along with Microsoft Security Essentials and they have never let me down.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

As said I would do some virus scans. If all else fails you can do a System Restore to a point before you had the program.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Re format is the easy way out if you back up what you need.

By the way what a cool name for a computer virus

Monero virus. ..rolls off the Tonge

goin2mars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By goin2mars
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@hagiiiiiiiiii: It looks like you have become part of a botnet for cryptocurrency. This particular one is for a currency called monero .. a currency that is becoming widely known (and unfortunately exploited in your case). This would have been done by a third party (not monero people) trying to take advantage of your GPU cards in order to calculate hashes necessary to gain the currency. I don't know how you got it, but at least consider better firewalls if you're going to be owning decent graphics cards. A single r9 290 running at max for this currency will cost you about $15/month .. that cost can go to a better antivirus :)

If you're really worried then reformat and reflash, but most of these programs are just designed to borrow your gpu for a while for free.