Guild Wars 2 beta question / enjoyment poll

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Does anyone know if they are having anymore beta invites, or if any are still goin on? I am really curious to see how the game is, in case I need a new game to fill my MP ARPG void if Diablo 3 gets old before a big patch or expansion hits.

***EDIT***

So I was just curius who has played GW2 and if they were impressed or dissapointed. I hope GW2 is a game I can look forward too and fall back on if DIII ever dies down for me (probably between expansions).

mr_zombie60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mr_zombie60
Member since 2007 • 560 Posts

Does anyone know if they are having anymore beta invites, or if any are still goin on? I am really curious to see how the game is, in case I need a new game to fill my MP ARPG void if Diablo 3 gets old before a big patch or expansion hits.

NaveedLife

I believe they plan on having a few more in order to make the necessary revisions and prepare the game for launch. Pertaining to the invites, you could look out for potential giveaways on gaming sites and such, but I believe you're gonna have a hard time grabbing a beta key unless you prepurchase the game. Plus, they only do beta weekends for the time being, so I wouldn't count on it filling any voids.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
there have been some beta key giveaways, but they've been surprisingly sparse and low-profile (gamespot got handed a few keys and they didn't even feature it, just handed them to some mods and admins and told them to give away). there will be a stress test this wednesday, but i don't think ANet considers those "official beta events".
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
if you're talking about invites (as the description says) then i don't know, but you might want to keep a look out on arenanet's twitter and facebook feed. if you're talking about events (as the title says) there is a stress test scheduled for this Wednesday.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NaveedLife

if you're talking about invites (as the description says) then i don't know, but you might want to keep a look out on arenanet's twitter and facebook feed. if you're talking about events (as the title says) there is a stress test scheduled for this Wednesday.Kh1ndjal

Sorry for the miscomunication, I just was wondering if they were going to have anymore beta weekends for prepurchasers or any other type of beta access giveaways. I am very interested in the game, but Diablo III is consuming me for now, and I don't know if that is going to end soon or not soon at all :P. I imagine it will hold me for a long time but I will get sick of it for a bit then they will release an expansion and make me interested again.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NaveedLife

I have added a poll to go along with the thread, cause I would like to know what the general consensus is on here. I know its gonna be hard to find honest answers though, given the Diablo III debats :P. People love to be haters and fanboys, but a good honest opinion would be nice.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

It is a good game all around.

It is way more fun than RIFT or modern WoW. It is also the most fun I had in a themepark mmo in a long while.

HOWEVER, it is not my most anticipated mmo, nor is it shaping up to be my goty. I also think that Guild Wars 1 is more fun, but that doesnt stop GW2 from being a blast and is shaping up to be my RPGoty.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BrunoBRS

It is way more fun than RIFT or modern WoW. It is also the most fun I had in a themepark mmo in a long while.

HOWEVER, it is not my most anticipated mmo, nor is it shaping up to be my goty. I also think that Guild Wars 1 is more fun, but that doesnt stop GW2 from being a blast and is shaping up to be my RPGoty.

Maroxad
wait, GW2 is not going to be your GotY, but might be your RPGotY? what is your GotY candidate then? O_o
lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

I myself really enjoyed the beta and now i have preordered the game,What i like the most is there is no running around looking for a group anymore, The group battles are great and your not locked into playing 4-10 hours a day just to get ahead(unless you want to), you can get in play for a hour and get out.The game caters to both the Hardcore and casual gamer equally without interfering with each other.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

BrunoBRS

wait, GW2 is not going to be your GotY, but might be your RPGotY? what is your GotY candidate then? O_o

I am sure you know the answer to that ;)

However, Planetside 2 will probably snag that spot if it is released this year, which I doubt.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

However, Planetside 2 will probably snag that spot if it is released this year, which I doubt.

i honestly don't, which is why i'm asking :P forgot about planetside, but you're implying there's a third game in this equation.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] wait, GW2 is not going to be your GotY, but might be your RPGotY? what is your GotY candidate then? O_oBrunoBRS

i honestly don't, which is why i'm asking :P forgot about planetside, but you're implying there's a third game in this equation.

Here is a hint

_ _ _ (space) _ _ _ _ _ _: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

As for the mmos I am looking forward too more than GW2. They are ArcheAge and ofc, Planetside 2.

KABCOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KABCOOL
Member since 2009 • 1147 Posts

There is a stress test tomorrow for like 4 hours.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Maroxad

Here is a hint

As for the mmos I am looking forward too more than GW2. They are ArcheAge and ofc, Planetside 2.

Trying to figure out this mystery game of yours because it certainly isn't on my list of "70 games to buy." :P
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BrunoBRS
[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i honestly don't, which is why i'm asking :P forgot about planetside, but you're implying there's a third game in this equation.Elann2008

Here is a hint

Trying to figure out this mystery game of yours because it certainly isn't on my list of "70 games to buy." :P

it's kid icarus uprising.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Here is a hint

BrunoBRS

it's kid icarus uprising.

Ahh hah. :P
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 NaveedLife

Thanks for the opinions. Anyone play Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 and can give an overview of what it does better/worse/different? I have a good idea, since I have read a lot about it, I just wanted a users opinion. I have put about 100 hours (I know that is not a lot in the grand scheme of things) into GW1.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#19 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

There is a stress test tomorrow for like 4 hours.

KABCOOL
It is starting at 3AM here, so I'm out of that.
c4l1d3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 c4l1d3n
Member since 2011 • 157 Posts

Very impressed and can't wait for launch. :)

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 BrunoBRS

Thanks for the opinions. Anyone play Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 and can give an overview of what it does better/worse/different? I have a good idea, since I have read a lot about it, I just wanted a users opinion. I have put about 100 hours (I know that is not a lot in the grand scheme of things) into GW1.

NaveedLife
setting aside (world, lore, races, and a few cIasses), they couldn't be more different. only resemblance i can think of in the gameplay itself is the idea of a limited skill bar.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elann2008
[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BrunoBRS
setting aside (world, lore, races, and a few cIasses), they couldn't be more different. only resemblance i can think of in the gameplay itself is the idea of a limited skill bar.

Pretty much this. GW1 and GW2 are vastly different. I loved GW1... such a wonderful game. GW2 although different seems like it will crunch a good amount of my time. Between GW2 and The Secret World, I should be set. Both games allow me to pick up and play, and not feel obsessed with progression. Hopefully I can keep up with most of my friends.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

BrunoBRS

How is the gear/items in comparison to 1? I know it is not Diablo, but the look of your character and such could get very stagnant given the tiny amount of gear. Of course, I don't play MMO's (aside from GW1 for 100 hours) much, so I am comparing it to other RPG's, which is obviously wrong :P.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kh1ndjal
comparison to GW1: the dual profession system is gone. for me that kills a bit of the uniqueness that the game had and nudges gw2 into more generic mmo territory. however, my max level character in the beta is 13 i think, so i haven't really explored the skill and trait system. older veterans had no problem with the dual profession system because they started playing the game when there were only 5 professions and not that many skills but newcomers had a lot of trouble adjusting to the hundreds of possible skill combinations. the gear/item systems seems on par with guild wars 1. there are a lot more slots but i have not felt any deep technical changes. the look of your character is the one thing that really stands out in this mmo (i'll pretend APB doesn't exist). there are hundreds of dyes and some equipment pieces have up to four different dyable parts. like guildwars1, the game is designed for players to be able to choose whatever look they please regardless of the stats of the gear.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 illmatic87

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

How is the gear/items in comparison to 1? I know it is not Diablo, but the look of your character and such could get very stagnant given the tiny amount of gear. Of course, I don't play MMO's (aside from GW1 for 100 hours) much, so I am comparing it to other RPG's, which is obviously wrong :P.

GW2 has alot more choice when it comes to acquiring gear. You're chasing different weapons to use. There is a wider range of gear attributes/level tiers. Gear can be found through random loot drops and chests, purchased from a vendor, through an auction, traded with various currencies and even given by a friend (that just wants to empty their full inventory in your face) as they are no longer character bound.

Reading that, you'll see that it's alot different from the GW1 system. Where gear came by as an even plane, with different appearances that allow you to define the attributes with runes and insignias. That and gear was strictly acquired through NPC trading of materials. WTB all ur ecto, bro.

Note that both Guild Wars games are very light on loot. Neither games are all that stat dependent, especially as you near the cap or do sPvP. It's all very cosmetic, where clocking shiny grips, pimpin' minis and looking like Dolomite drives its economy and progression. With that in mind, GW2 does a better job of communicating what gear you have and how your gear has progressed. Which was a problem with GW1, as alot of the high end gear didnt look all that cosmetically 'better' or visible to low end gear.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Elann2008
[QUOTE="Kh1ndjal"]comparison to GW1: the dual profession system is gone. for me that kills a bit of the uniqueness that the game had and nudges gw2 into more generic mmo territory. however, my max level character in the beta is 13 i think, so i haven't really explored the skill and trait system. older veterans had no problem with the dual profession system because they started playing the game when there were only 5 professions and not that many skills but newcomers had a lot of trouble adjusting to the hundreds of possible skill combinations. the gear/item systems seems on par with guild wars 1. there are a lot more slots but i have not felt any deep technical changes. the look of your character is the one thing that really stands out in this mmo (i'll pretend APB doesn't exist). there are hundreds of dyes and some equipment pieces have up to four different dyable parts. like guildwars1, the game is designed for players to be able to choose whatever look they please regardless of the stats of the gear.

Wow it has been a long time.. yeah the dual profession system made it so much fun. Totally forgot about that. I guess it's not a dealbreaker but that was one of the good things about GW1.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 illmatic87
I think the pre-combat skill building in GW1 is better. Whereas the moment-to-moment encounters in GW2 is alot more engaging, interesting and is a hellova lot more dynamic. But the groundwork for a distinctive combat system is already there, GW2 could potentially develop its build-making with new weapons, skills and traits. And it seems easy to do so with the way Anet have set things up into tiers and groups.
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kh1ndjal
yes the GW1 skill building is excellent. i remember spending hours making builds in one of the fan-made skill building applications and then trying them out. that always let players do something new in pvp. too many casters? bring on the interruptions. this also made combat a whole lot tactical. your first thoughts after entering pvp was to assess the enemy professions and possible skill sets. as the battle went on you could be surprised by the unorthodox builds you would encounter. by comparison, GW2 feels more run and gun. the action is definitely more engaging than pressing 1-2-3 and the dodge mechanic forces players to be aware of positioning. one big change i haven't mentioned is crafting. it's a total overhaul and it feels more wow-esque, but with less of the grind. i will be playing during tonight's stress test so i will try to explore as much as i can.
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad

Here are some other changes

Positive

Hot joinable PvP
When the full game comes out we will be able to rent servers, for our organized PvP matches. Unfortunately, this costs money.
Dynamic events are a lot of fun.
No dedicated healers or tanks which makes combat more adaptive.
There is more content and more stuff to do than what GW1 had.

Negative

Elevation has no effect on ranged attacks, which is both awkward and makes teh game less tactical.
Movement speed is slowed down in combat.
Seems like there is less customizability in gear.
The mesmer is ruined.
The skill design is not as good as Guild Wars 1.

Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

Positive

Hot joinable PvP
When the full game comes out we will be able to rent servers, for our organized PvP matches. Unfortunately, this costs money.

Negative

Elevation has no effect on ranged attacks, which is both awkward and makes teh game less tactical.
The mesmer is ruined.

Maroxad

About the negatives you mentioned:

The ranged combat may or may not be changed. They did it in gw1, so they might do it in gw2.

Less customization? gw1 hardly had any. All you did was pick from an assortment of armors, make them a color, and then add the stat changers you wanted. And the runes/insigniaas put on were always the same (minor runes of main att, vigor, or insignia of survivor). Weapons were almost always the same as well with +health and +energy modifiers.

Mesmer being ruined is subjective. If they are underpowered they will be balanced.

Not sure what you mean by skill design. The art of the skill icons are better imo. The skills themselves (what they do)... eh, could be better, i'd say about the same as gw1.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Maroxad

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Positive

Hot joinable PvP

Negative

The mesmer is ruined.

Grimlim

The ranged combat may or may not be changed. They did it in gw1, so they might do it in gw2.

Less customization? gw1 hardly had any. All you did was pick from an assortment of armors, make them a color, and then add the stat changers you wanted. And the runes/insigniaas put on were always the same (minor runes of main att, vigor, or insignia of survivor). Weapons were almost always the same as well with +health and +energy modifiers.

Mesmer being ruined is subjective. If they are underpowered they will be balanced.

Not sure what you mean by skill design. The art of the skill icons are better imo. The skills themselves (what they do)... eh, could be better, i'd say about the same as gw1.

1. I certainly hope they change it, it was really awkward when I couldnt shoot foes beause I was out of range on top of the wall in WvW. With my LONGBOW.
  2. Appearancewise I agree with you, GW2 is a lot more customizable in this regard. But I always liked the rune system in GW1 where you had to sacrifice hp to further your attack. In GW2 this is entirely gone from what I noticed. Yes, the stat modifiers in GW1 werent particulary balanced, but they should have done a better job balancing it.
  3. The issue with the modern mesmer is that they lack the subtletly of the cIassic mesmer. The old mesmer was something of a debuffer, interrupter, energy manager. They were more behind the scenes, the modern one is an arcane mage from WoW, but with purple energy as opposed to blue.
  4. The skill icons in GW2 look better, but they arent quite as fun to use as in the original. From what I have experienced so far, they dont have the interesting modifiers (and in some cases, even drawbacks) the skills in the original had.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="Grimlim"]

[QUOTE="Maroxad"]

Positive

Hot joinable PvP

Negative

The mesmer is ruined.

Maroxad

1. I certainly hope they change it, it was really awkward when I couldnt shoot foes beause I was out of range on top of the wall in WvW. With my LONGBOW.
  2. Appearancewise I agree with you, GW2 is a lot more customizable in this regard. But I always liked the rune system in GW1 where you had to sacrifice hp to further your attack. In GW2 this is entirely gone from what I noticed. Yes, the stat modifiers in GW1 werent particulary balanced, but they should have done a better job balancing it.
  3. The issue with the modern mesmer is that they lack the subtletly of the cIassic mesmer. The old mesmer was something of a debuffer, interrupter, energy manager. They were more behind the scenes, the modern one is an arcane mage from WoW, but with purple energy as opposed to blue.
  4. The skill icons in GW2 look better, but they arent quite as fun to use as in the original. From what I have experienced so far, they dont have the interesting modifiers (and in some cases, even drawbacks) the skills in the original had.

agree on #1 disagree on #2. gear-wise, buildmaking on GW1 was very set in stone. there was hardly any changes from build to build (namely, you'd change the primary attribute rune and headpiece). in GW2, the gear buildmaking seems to allow for some more flexibility. do i want to max out raw damage, defense, health, condition time/damage, maybe my healing ability? sure it's still not very balanced (crit chance and crit damage are top priority for most people right now), but the flexibility is there. #3 still subjective. i don't think the old mesmer would work well in GW2, and the new mesmer still plays the role of the one with all the mindgames. #4 i just think we might be lacking in amount, but GW1 had 3 expansions to fill on that, so i guess we're fine.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 illmatic87

The skills of the mesmer work differently, but the mentality of its usage is the same.

In any case, it's still the most interface attentive profession with some of the toggable condition/boon trading skills it has. It just needs some rework to define what it does more, rather than most sPVPers treating it as another pet class with its Phantasms.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 BrunoBRS

The skills of the mesmer work differently, but the mentality of its usage is the same.

In any case, it's still the most interface attentive profession with some of the toggable condition/boon trading skills it has. It just needs some rework to define what it does more, rather than most sPVPers treating it as another pet class with its Phantasms.

illmatic87
don't blame them. unload phantasm is insane. deals like 15k to me.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 illmatic87

[QUOTE="illmatic87"]

BrunoBRS

Having played around with the iDuelist, this trait was the difference maker. Im pretty sure they are gonna push it back from an Adept Major trait unfortunately. :(.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BrunoBRS

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="illmatic87"]

illmatic87

Having played around with the iDuelist, this trait was the difference maker. Im pretty sure they are gonna push it back from an Adept Major trait unfortunately. :(.

probably. it should be tier 3. also is it funny that the unload phantasm sounds like he's firing a harpoon gun instead of pistols?