great stealth action games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jmsbond35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 jmsbond35
Member since 2005 • 789 Posts

I want to play a good stealth action game. I've been looking, but i've played all the Splinter Cell games and I've played all the Hitman games. After just playing Hitman 2, I wanted to play another. Any other good reccomendations?

nic4games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nic4games
Member since 2005 • 311 Posts
You can wait for assasins creed or go back in time with thief
fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts
The Thief series.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
Assasins Creed (not sure about PC but I have it for PS3) and the Theif series
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
No One Lives Forever 1 and 2.
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts
If you haven't played Thief, then you haven't played a true stealth game.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

No One Lives Forever 1 and 2.JP_Russell

dude, today's like the promote nolf day! i didn't like the stealth portions at times in nolf 1 & 2 (especially 1); there were some very frustrating moments, but the nolf series does liven up the fps genre by adding that element in there and executing, for the most part, very well,

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts
If you want the best stealth series, check out the Thief games.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JP_Russell

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]No One Lives Forever 1 and 2.fireandcloud

dude, today's like the promote nolf day! i didn't like the stealth portions at times in nolf 1 & 2 (especially 1); there were some very frustrating moments, but the nolf series does liven up the fps genre by adding that element in there and executing, for the most part, very well,

It's weird, there have been like 4 threads I've responded NOLF to in, all because it really was among the best I'd seen for that thread's proposed gameplay aspect. Stealth, great story, humor, all three were strong points in the game for me. And it was a sort of an underdog title.

I thought NOLF 1 had the stronger stealth elements. I could literally go through almost the entire game easily once I got good at it without alerting a single enemy, making a single alarm go off, etc. Never have I played a game as good in stealth as NOLF1, absolutely never. Granted, I haven't played the Thief games yet, but I plan to check them out some day.

Anyway, you could say I'm sort of the big underdog supporter around here. I try to keep the names of games like Dark Forces, No One Lives Forever, Wolfenstein, various older DOS games, and the Myst games and adventure games in general, alive and remembered. I even started a thread not long ago about upcoming FPS games that aren't getting much or any attention because people either never hear about them or just brush them off without giving them a chance. I'm pretty much the most avid person about these things that I know of around here. I like to think that people will give these things a little more attention and respect if I keep bringing them into the limelight, reminding people of their existence and their worth.

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]

[QUOTE="JP_Russell"]No One Lives Forever 1 and 2.JP_Russell

It's weird, there have been like 4 threads I've responded NOLF to in, all because it really was among the best I'd seen for that thread's proposed gameplay aspect. Stealth, great story, humor, all three were strong points in the game for me. And it was a sort of anunderdog title.

I thought NOLF 1 had the stronger stealth elements. I couldliterally go through almost the entire game easily once I got good at it without alerting a single enemy, making a single alarm go off, etc. Never have I played a game as good in stealth as NOLF1, absolutely never. Granted, I haven't played the Thief games yet, but I plan to check them out some day.

Anyway, you could say I'm sort of the big underdog supporter around here. I try to keep the names of games like Dark Forces, No One Lives Forever, Wolfenstein, various older DOS games, and the Myst games and adventure games in general, alive and remembered. I even started a thread not long ago about upcoming FPS games that aren't getting much or any attention because people either never hear about them or just brush them off without giving them a chance. I'm pretty much the most avid person about these things that I know of around here. I like to think that people will give these things a little more attention and respect if I keep bringing them into the limelight, reminding people of their existence and their worth.

you go, my man. i'm with you.

i guess my gripe with nolf 1 is that i had to reload the game too many times on those use stealth or bust missions. at least nolf 2 allows you to gun through most sections even if your stealth abilities weren't up to snuff (except that one section where you have to sneak past 2 guards in the second floor - that part was bang my keyboards and pull my hair in frustration frustrating). i guess in the end i'm just not too interested in stealth, one of the main reasons i'm not the biggest fan of far cry. but all in all, i'm a huge, huge fan of nolf series. they're definitely in my top 20 games of all time!

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Thief 1/2.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I want to play a good stealth action game. I've been looking, but i've played all the Splinter Cell games and I've played all the Hitman games. After just playing Hitman 2, I wanted to play another. Any other good reccomendations?

jmsbond35

Ya, if you liked Hitman 2 I highly HIGHLY recommend Hitman: Blood Money. So much fun, I've played it at least a few times a month since release; its worthy of remaining on my hard drive (just like Deus Ex, its always on there).

Some other good series/games include:

-Theif series (especially number 2; dated, but the gameplay redeems all)
-Splinter Cell series (Chaos Theory was my fav, Double Agent my least)
-Deus Ex (very nice once you get a feel for it)
-Oblivion (its simple, but it gets you your fix and its fun)
-Crysis
-Aliens vs Predator 2, Predator and Alien campaign (whether its cloaking or wall walking, stalking humans is fun fun fun...and so is collecting skulls or eating their brains)

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
what mrbojangles said.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
The most modern and accessible "stealth/action" game is The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

The Thief series define the "stealth" genre but EFBB is the best "stealth/action" game in existence. Easily. And is also one of the least appreciated titles of last gen, both on Xbox and PC.
Hidden_Sanctum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Hidden_Sanctum
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Gotta go with Thief here as well.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrbojangles25

The most modern and accessible "stealth/action" game is The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

The Thief series define the "stealth" genre but EFBB is the best "stealth/action" game in existence. Easily. And is also one of the least appreciated titles of last gen, both on Xbox and PC.foxhound_fox

Ooooh ya, Riddick. You get to shank people and snap necks, very fun. Plus the story and atmosphere is simply amazing. Most underrated game of that year imo.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JP_Russell

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The most modern and accessible "stealth/action" game is The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

The Thief series define the "stealth" genre but EFBB is the best "stealth/action" game in existence. Easily. And is also one of the least appreciated titles of last gen, both on Xbox and PC.mrbojangles25

Ooooh ya, Riddick. You get to shank people and snap necks, very fun. Plus the story and atmosphere is simply amazing. Most underrated game of that year imo.

Snap necks? You get to snap necks? Are you serious?! I've wanted to do that in a FPS for the longest freaking time! Ever since I played Metal Gear Solid for the PS way back when, I've always wished I could do the same awesome neck-snapping action in first-person. Riddick was already one of those games I planned on checking out eventually, but now I just absolutely have to have that game.

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts

The Thief series define the "stealth" genre but EFBB is the best "stealth/action" game in existence. Easily. And is also one of the least appreciated titles of last gen, both on Xbox and PC.foxhound_fox

Riddick was amazing and the graphics are still impressive. Amazing what "normal mapping" was capable of faking.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]The most modern and accessible "stealth/action" game is The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

The Thief series define the "stealth" genre but EFBB is the best "stealth/action" game in existence. Easily. And is also one of the least appreciated titles of last gen, both on Xbox and PC.JP_Russell

Snap necks? You get to snap necks? Are you serious?! I've wanted to do that in a FPS for the longest freaking time! Ever since I played Metal Gear Solid for the PS way back when, I've always wished I could do the same awesome neck-snapping action in first-person. Riddick was already one of those games I planned on checking out eventually, but now I just absolutely have to have that game.

not only do you get to snap necks, you get to snap them TWO DIFFERENT WAYS!

There is the quickloud snap and shriek of the victim, and then there is the quiet suffocation with a tiny *pop* of the neck at the end.

And dont forget the shankings, complete with metal shards, screw drivers, and other stuff. Plus fists fights!

And we get to learn how Riddick gets his eyes!

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JP_Russell
[QUOTE="JP_Russell"][QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

The Thief series define the "stealth" genre but EFBB is the best "stealth/action" game in existence. Easily. And is also one of the least appreciated titles of last gen, both on Xbox and PC.mrbojangles25

There is the quickloud snap and shriek of the victim, and then there is the quiet suffocation with a tiny *pop* of the neck at the end.

*does the Homer Simpson drool*

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And dont forget the shankings, complete with metal shards, screw drivers, and other stuff. Plus fists fights!

mrbojangles25

Lets also not forget about the incredibly gratuitous counter attacks. Instead of taking a blow from an enemy, you parry their one arm and follow through by slicing their throat (or one of I think at least 20 others depending on context and weapon).

If there was ever a game that made excessive violence "beautiful," Butcher Bay is it. It is so rewarding crawling through the shadows up behind someone leading you to shove a sharp object deep into their lower back.

Not only that but the game has stupendous voice acting, an amazing story, great atmosphere, wonderful mechanics for all the gameplay elements (shooting can be a little bland at points but very little of the game involves shooting) and an extremely memorable experience. One that leaves you asking: "Where was StarBreeze before this game and why aren't they making more stupendous games?" The game makes you feel like you are Richard B. Riddick and not some human playing the role of him.
DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]not only do you get to snap necks, you get to snap them TWO DIFFERENT WAYS!

foxhound_fox

Lets also not forget about the incredibly gratuitous counter attacks. Instead of taking a blow from an enemy, you parry their one arm and follow through by slicing their throat (or one of I think at least 20 others depending on context and weapon).

If there was ever a game that made excessive violence "beautiful," Butcher Bay is it. It is so rewarding crawling through the shadows up behind someone leading you to shove a sharp object deep into their lower back.

Not only that but the game has stupendous voice acting, an amazing story, great atmosphere, wonderful mechanics for all the gameplay elements (shooting can be a little bland at points but very little of the game involves shooting) and an extremely memorable experience. One that leaves you asking: "Where was StarBreeze before this game and why aren't they making more stupendous games?" The game makes you feel like you are Richard B. Riddick and not some human playing the role of him.

Or the one where you sneak up on an armed guard and make him shoot himself in the face. Beautiful stuff.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]not only do you get to snap necks, you get to snap them TWO DIFFERENT WAYS!

foxhound_fox

very eloqently said.

the violence was beautiful because it seemed almost necessary. And ya, I cant even remember all the counter attacks...I think there was one where if you countered a guy with a shotgun, you shoved it under his chin and made him pull the trigger.

And ya, the voice acting was awesome. They got Vin of course, but they also got Cole Hauser iirc(now a very famous actor) for a bit as the bounty hunter, and also Xzibit. I dont know who played the warden's voice but he was very snobby sounding which was good...made him seem like an upper****preppie presiding over hell.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts
I loved the health machines in riddick, I though 'oh ok, this will just make my health bar go up if I press a button' like in half life or something. Then needles came out and jabbed him in the neck, and then he was like 'well, I feel a lot better now!'
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mrbojangles25

I loved the health machines in riddick, I though 'oh ok, this will just make my health bar go up if I press a button' like in half life or something. Then needles came out and jabbed him in the neck, and then he was like 'well, I feel a lot better now!'ElArab

Hahah, I forgot about that. Definately was cool. Then there were those machines that increased his health permamently, with all those spikes.

SpecNav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SpecNav
Member since 2002 • 82 Posts

Hahah too bad the rest of the Riddick movies were terrrrrrible.

I have to give my vote to Thief on this one. Riddick definitely had some badass graphics and gameplay, but Thief 1/2 was the original and the innovator. It was pretty awesome.

geo_1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 geo_1989
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts
The Metal Gear Solid Series is the best without doubht, Splinter cell is a crap game with amazing graphics!