GPU usage at around 60-65 with gtx680 :s

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by 04dcarraher (19480 posts) -
Yes they are.jack00
Not the bottom one
#52 Posted by Elann2008 (32953 posts) -
It's definitely not your CPU. I used a Phenom II 965 for the longest and played games like BF3 without a problem. But if your game performance all of a sudden changed, there's something definitely going on.
#53 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -
It's definitely not your CPU. I used a Phenom II 965 for the longest and played games like BF3 without a problem. But if your game performance all of a sudden changed, there's something definitely going on. Elann2008
"Without a problem" is a broad word 130-200fps is "without a problem" for me
#54 Posted by 04dcarraher (19480 posts) -
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]It's definitely not your CPU. I used a Phenom II 965 for the longest and played games like BF3 without a problem. But if your game performance all of a sudden changed, there's something definitely going on. JigglyWiggly_

At lowest settings :roll:
#55 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Elann2008"]It's definitely not your CPU. I used a Phenom II 965 for the longest and played games like BF3 without a problem. But if your game performance all of a sudden changed, there's something definitely going on. 04dcarraher

At lowest settings :roll:

yeah, but at lowest settings it's all cpu

#56 Posted by jack00 (3544 posts) -

Now here is something interesting. I just starting playing the witcher 2, pretty much everything is turned on and at highest settings, it s bit sluggish at times but it seems to run well enough. When i look at MSI after burner GPU % usage is at a constant 100%, while like said before in BF3 it's around 70%. Wouldn't that confirm that the cpu is not strong enough for bf3 to take full advantage of the GPU ?

#57 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -

Now here is something interesting. I just starting playing the witcher 2, pretty much everything is turned on and at highest settings, it s bit sluggish at times but it seems to run well enough. When i look at MSI after burner GPU % usage is at a constant 100%, while like said before in BF3 it's around 70%. Wouldn't that confirm that the cpu is not strong enough for bf3 to take full advantage of the GPU ?

jack00
yes your cpu is the bottleneck i don't know why it's so hard to realize this
#58 Posted by jack00 (3544 posts) -
Because i asked about my problem to about 20 people and half said my cpu was bottleneck and the other said it wasn't, how the hell can i know who is right...
#59 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23498 posts) -
Because i asked about my problem to about 20 people and half said my cpu was bottleneck and the other said it wasn't, how the hell can i know who is right...jack00
?? i am always right
#61 Posted by 04dcarraher (19480 posts) -
[QUOTE="jack00"]Because i asked about my problem to about 20 people and half said my cpu was bottleneck and the other said it wasn't, how the hell can i know who is right...JigglyWiggly_
?? i am always right

That's a lie...
#62 Posted by kraken2109 (13029 posts) -
Because i asked about my problem to about 20 people and half said my cpu was bottleneck and the other said it wasn't, how the hell can i know who is right...jack00
So do what i said and check CPU usage too.
#63 Posted by jack00 (3544 posts) -
[QUOTE="jack00"]Because i asked about my problem to about 20 people and half said my cpu was bottleneck and the other said it wasn't, how the hell can i know who is right...JigglyWiggly_
?? i am always right

Heh yeah i guess you are, so far :)
#64 Posted by adamosmaki (9506 posts) -
Just download hardware info 64 ( make sure you have a 64bit OS ) then go to configure and where it says monitoring set everything to No except the total Cpu usage Then click on Total cpu usage and in the options below under Riva tuner click on Show ( on the line/column option set it to 1,1 ) . Make sure MSI afterburner is running . Start your game and monitor your Cpu usage. if Cpu usage is not shown change the line/column number in hardware info 64 ) Most likely is a cpu bottleneck since BF3 tends to be very Cpu dependant on multiplayer on 64players maps and even a quad core i5 wont use that gtx680 95-100%. It will help alot overclocking that phenom II at 3,3-3,4ghz ( should increase gpu usage close to 80% )
#65 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7389 posts) -

Half are Intel users and the other half Amd users. Pick your poison.

#66 Posted by Ben-Buja (2913 posts) -

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Your CPU isn't holding you back in BF3...04dcarraher

a 955 at 3.2 ghz getting 55-60 fps average in 64 mp with a GTX 560

Another cpu scaling benchmark with 7970

All test runs have enabled:

• DX11
  • Ultra mode
  • 4xMSAAAA enabled
  • 16x AF enabled
  • HBAO enabled
  • Level: Operation Swordbreaker

People should stop posting this useless CPU comparison.

They did it in single player which is completely useless.

Obviously a heavily scripted linear level will not be as CPU intensive as the huge open battles in MP with 64 players causing mayham at once.

#67 Posted by 04dcarraher (19480 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

[QUOTE="superclocked"]Your CPU isn't holding you back in BF3...Ben-Buja

a 955 at 3.2 ghz getting 55-60 fps average in 64 mp with a GTX 560

• DX11
  • Ultra mode
  • 4xMSAAAA enabled
  • 16x AF enabled
  • HBAO enabled

Obviously a heavily scripted linear level will not be as CPU intensive as the huge open battles in MP with 64 players causing mayham at once.

BF3 beta MP even a Athlon2 X4 at 3.1 ghz averaged 48 fps with GTX 580 while an i5 2500k got like 52 fps average. Those benchmarks are to show that there is no real gpu bottlenecking from cpu.

#68 Posted by Ben-Buja (2913 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"] a 955 at 3.2 ghz getting 55-60 fps average in 64 mp with a GTX 560

• DX11
  • Ultra mode
  • 4xMSAAAA enabled
  • 16x AF enabled
  • HBAO enabled

04dcarraher

BF3 beta MP even a Athlon2 X4 at 3.1 ghz averaged 48 fps with GTX 580 while an i5 2500k got like 52 fps average. Those benchmarks are to show that there is no real gpu bottlenecking from cpu.

Those benchmarks don't really proof anything. They obviously all hit a GPU limit first because the SP level is not very CPU dependant.

A CPU benchmark on the biggest map with 64 people all causing mayham at one spot would be far more interesting.

My Q9650 had serious problems running this game at 30fps during heavy action. With my current I7 CPU the game always stays above 60 fps.

My personal experience is that most games out there are perfectly fine with an older CPU, there are just some that really benefit from a newer, faster CPU. BF3 is one of them, as well as Project CARS with 64 AI drivers, GTA IV, Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Skyrim when it came out...