Good laptop for university and gaming on the side?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

Anyone know a good laptop or netbook for university work? I want something that's strong, reliable, fast and doesn't freeze all the time. My old laptop (Asus) broke which is really disappointing. My priority for getting a new laptop/netbook is for university so portability is a huge plus. However, I'd like one that's strong enough for some gaming (I'm fine running games on low or medium or playing simple games like Plants vs Zombies) and good for multitasking and running lots of programs and also good for multimedia stuff. I'm looking for something that's $900 or below but it can exceed that a little bit if the laptop is really good. Thank you very much and I hope this is the right forum.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

Please define the laptop size e.g. 11 inch, 13 inch, 15 inch, 16 inch and 'etc'.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kenny789

I'm happy with any size to be honest as long as it isn't too big. If I had to say, I think a 13 or 15 inch would be good. 17 doesn't seem too bad though.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

One word, Optimus ;)

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Kenny789

One word, Optimus ;)

Daytona_178
Hmm interesting, thanks for sharing. Some of those are way too expensive for me though :P
herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 herukuti
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

get a good tablet from fujitsu or lenovo. the lenovo tablets arent that expensive and should allow you to do mundane tasks with the added benefit of having one note and good reliability. the fujitsu tablets have good screens and a optical drive which could be necessary for different tasks.you can always go the hp tm2 route which has an ati gpu, but supposedly the screen is not good.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kenny789

get a good tablet from fujitsu or lenovo. the lenovo tablets arent that expensive and should allow you to do mundane tasks with the added benefit of having one note and good reliability. the fujitsu tablets have good screens and a optical drive which could be necessary for different tasks.you can always go the hp tm2 route which has an ati gpu, but supposedly the screen is not good.

herukuti
Hmm interesting but I never really considered tablets. I'll look into it but I'm really looking for a good laptop, thanks though :)
kuruppath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 kuruppath
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

HP dv6 1110ax is good

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
[QUOTE="herukuti"]

Kenny789
Hmm interesting but I never really considered tablets. I'll look into it but I'm really looking for a good laptop, thanks though :)

The thing about the aforementioned Tablet PCs is that they're convertibles: laptops with swivel screens and Wacom digitizers integrated into said screens, along with capacitive multi-touch on many of the newer ones. The basic idea is to have a laptop computer with the flexibility of pen and paper and the convenience of a digital medium. If you install OneNote on such a system, you can basically leave the paper notebooks behind; it supports digital ink that is just left as-is visually unless manually converted to plain text, but is also indexed in the background so you can search it. Art apps like SketchBook Pro and Photoshop go without saying. They're all generally compact 12" models that emphasize portability. Owning a 14" Gateway E-295C/C-14*XL, I see why-anything larger than 12" generally gets far too heavy for use in slate mode. With the HP tm2, 2730p, and Toshiba Portege M750, at least, I've held heavier hardcover books. The only thing I don't like is that you have to pick either a decent GPU (HP tm2 with ATI HD 4550 or HD 5450) or a better screen, balance, and overall build quality, but higher cost and integrated graphics (HP 2730p/2740p, Lenovo X200t/X201t, Fujitsu T900, Toshiba Portege M700/M750/M780, pretty much everything else). Why can't I have a decent GPU driving a nice Hydis AFFS+ panel for once?
Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kenny789
[QUOTE="Kenny789"][QUOTE="herukuti"]

NamelessPlayer

The thing about the aforementioned Tablet PCs is that they're convertibles: laptops with swivel screens and Wacom digitizers integrated into said screens, along with capacitive multi-touch on many of the newer ones. The basic idea is to have a laptop computer with the flexibility of pen and paper and the convenience of a digital medium. If you install OneNote on such a system, you can basically leave the paper notebooks behind; it supports digital ink that is just left as-is visually unless manually converted to plain text, but is also indexed in the background so you can search it. Art apps like SketchBook Pro and Photoshop go without saying. They're all generally compact 12" models that emphasize portability. Owning a 14" Gateway E-295C/C-14*XL, I see why-anything larger than 12" generally gets far too heavy for use in slate mode. With the HP tm2, 2730p, and Toshiba Portege M750, at least, I've held heavier hardcover books. The only thing I don't like is that you have to pick either a decent GPU (HP tm2 with ATI HD 4550 or HD 5450) or a better screen, balance, and overall build quality, but higher cost and integrated graphics (HP 2730p/2740p, Lenovo X200t/X201t, Fujitsu T900, Toshiba Portege M700/M750/M780, pretty much everything else). Why can't I have a decent GPU driving a nice Hydis AFFS+ panel for once?

Guess I should consider tablet PCs then, thanks. Sorry, I'm just a noob with all PC stuff :P