Games where your weapons feel like YOUR weapons?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

During a playthru of Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas, it is fun to think about your different weapons and loadouts even when you're not playing! (Especially with mods like the Conventional Fallout Weapons or FOOK. Zomg FOOK back in 2008 or 2009 was amazing.) Part of what made it fun -- I think -- was the fact that your weapons in those later Fallout games really do feel like YOUR weapons.

Other games where I kind of get that vibe is Dark Souls, because you are regularly adjusting your inventory to maximize chances of survival, and because you only have so many resources available to upgrade weapons. Also, perhaps STALKER: SoC because quality guns early on are kind of rare so when you get a good one, or find a weapon suitable for a certain situation, you really cherish it.

There are many games that I really like a lot, but don't get that sense of ownership with the weapons. Even the Borderlands games. Yeah, you found a great weapon that clicks with you but you're prolly gonna scrap it in ten levels. Plus, the game moves so fast that you never get that feeling of just lounging around in Sanctuary, maybe meditating over your next weapon loadout. Also, most action games, that I really like: Dead Space, Arkham games, on and on. The weapons are tools to an end, to win the game, but they don't feel like MINE.

A classic example of this is Knights of the Old Republic. You have a lightsaber. Yay! But you can only pull it out when combat begins, or when you are in front of your workbench. (Twirl those,babies. That's right! Twirl those dual lightsabers. "Vuhn! vuhn! vuhn! vuhn!")

Whereas in Fallout, you can just get completely get irresponsible with your weapons, some of which you 've worked so hard far. Shoot a quest-giver in the face? You can do that. Pull out a revolver and go all Hunter S. Thompson in your Megaton shack? Yep. Not a problem.

I am not a game developer. So, I don't know exactly why I get more attached to my weapon loadout in - say Xcom -- then in Borderlands. Maybe you do? What are some other games where I can think about my next weapon loadout while at work, and it's not like I'm thinking about a cartoon but my own guns?