games like Metro 2033

This topic is locked from further discussion.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

I'm in love with Metro 2033, I love how it doesn't hold your hand and how rich the atmosphere is. I've played so many games this year and none of them have the immersion that Metro has and I'm wondering if there are any other games that I missed because they weren't rated the highest. Games with immense detail and exploration where the combat actually bares weight, when you're alone in a desolate landscape you actually feel alone, when you go into a dark hallway you're actually a little hesitant, stuff like that. I just played through borderlands 2 and it's the antithesis of what I mean, it's run gun and oogle the pretty graphics. In Metro there are traps, there are weird psychological events etc. etc. There's got to be more games out there where the game world feels so detailed and rich you just want to explore it.

I'm open to rpg's or any kind of game, I played TW2 but didn't really like the gameplay, same with skyrim. Seems like detailed worlds in rpg's have mediocre gameplay at best because it's so complicated they can't make the gameplay very good.

I've obviously played stalker, it's cool seeing the stalker references in Metro, I did not know about it at all going in and thought it was really cool.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SharkheadHD
Member since 2012 • 227 Posts

I'm in love with Metro 2033, I love how it doesn't hold your hand and how rich the atmosphere is. I've played so many games this year and none of them have the immersion that Metro has and I'm wondering if there are any other games that I missed because they weren't rated the highest. Games with immense detail and exploration where the combat actually bares weight, when you're alone in a desolate landscape you actually feel alone, when you go into a dark hallway you're actually a little hesitant, stuff like that. I just played through borderlands 2 and it's the antithesis of what I mean, it's run gun and oogle the pretty graphics. In Metro there are traps, there are weird psychological events etc. etc. There's got to be more games out there where the game world feels so detailed and rich you just want to explore it.

I'm open to rpg's or any kind of game, I played TW2 but didn't really like the gameplay, same with skyrim. Seems like detailed worlds in rpg's have mediocre gameplay at best because it's so complicated they can't make the gameplay very good.

I've obviously played stalker, it's cool seeing the stalker references in Metro, I did not know about it at all going in and thought it was really cool.

robokill
Off the top of my head I can think of Fallout 3 for sure, the Day Z mod for Arma II, and the upcoming War Z survival game. I know exactly how you feel about games like this and I've been looking for one for a very long time. I think our expectations are way ahead of our time : P
robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts
Fallout was amazing, new vegas even moreso. If there was a game that could some how pack in the visceral atmospheric concept of metro with open world exploration like fallout that would be an amazing game. I like being on my own in the wilderness and actually feeling alone in the wilderness, there's just something about some games where the world is a cohesive unit and you actually wonder what will happen around every corner instead of like most games where you just run straight and kill everything in your way not bothering to really enjoy the world.
SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SharkheadHD
Fallout was amazing, new vegas even moreso. If there was a game that could some how pack in the visceral atmospheric concept of metro with open world exploration like fallout that would be an amazing game. I like being on my own in the wilderness and actually feeling alone in the wilderness, there's just something about some games where the world is a cohesive unit and you actually wonder what will happen around every corner instead of like most games where you just run straight and kill everything in your way not bothering to really enjoy the world.robokill
I guess you could also explore the wilderness in real life. Learn to hunt and fish and make a fire. They'd be excellent skills to have if civilization suddenly ceased to exist one day.
G-Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 G-Lord
Member since 2004 • 2141 Posts

You already mentioned STALKER, so guess you have played the series. Otherwise that would be the most obvious suggestion. A less obvious suggestion would be Cryostasis. It has a similar tone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Ill list some games that may have some of what you are looking for, hard to find all the things, since Metro (and indeed stalker) ar fairly unique games, but:

Cyrostasis

Singularity: how odd it may sound this game, although very arcady does have a few tones, and the feeling of isolation from time to time, but it IS an arcade shooter, and only slightly resemble the requirements there is alot of handholding in it, and can feel restrictive, ironic in some story sense apoc.

FEAR 1: Very much not what you are looking for in most of the things, but it does have the odd sense of isolation and foreboding, it also has alot of handholding, but the atmosphere is a slightly tense, dark, and hostile atmosphere, not really bright and cheery. Not post apoc, just abandoned.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth: being part adventure, part fps, this game ironically does fit what you are looking for a bit, just a warning, that it IS somewhat buggy on some modern machines. It is dark, it does have most of the things you mentioned about Metro, but graphically it does not give a good first impression. But it is hostile, has a feeling of isolation, andthe sort of unease that stalker had. it is not really linier either, but about as much as Metro was, I think. Not apoc, just ridden with things that makes your character go insane, and isolation (decaying towns and such).

That are sadly pretty much all the games I know that has just the slightest feeling that Metro gave me, the eastern european games are very unique in their tone and feel, so the best bet would likely be cyrostasis, followed by Call.

SharkheadHD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SharkheadHD

Ill list some games that may have some of what you are looking for, hard to find all the things, since Metro (and indeed stalker) ar fairly unique games, but:

Cyrostasis

Singularity: how odd it may sound this game, although very arcady does have a few tones, and the feeling of isolation from time to time, but it IS an arcade shooter, and only slightly resemble the requirements there is alot of handholding in it, and can feel restrictive, ironic in some story sense apoc.

FEAR 1: Very much not what you are looking for in most of the things, but it does have the odd sense of isolation and foreboding, it also has alot of handholding, but the atmosphere is a slightly tense, dark, and hostile atmosphere, not really bright and cheery. Not post apoc, just abandoned.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth: being part adventure, part fps, this game ironically does fit what you are looking for a bit, just a warning, that it IS somewhat buggy on some modern machines. It is dark, it does have most of the things you mentioned about Metro, but graphically it does not give a good first impression. But it is hostile, has a feeling of isolation, andthe sort of unease that stalker had. it is not really linier either, but about as much as Metro was, I think. Not apoc, just ridden with things that makes your character go insane, and isolation (decaying towns and such).

That are sadly pretty much all the games I know that has just the slightest feeling that Metro gave me, the eastern european games are very unique in their tone and feel, so the best bet would likely be cyrostasis, followed by Call.

Maddie_Larkin
OHHH!!!! He could also try Amnesia: the Dark Descent, if he really wants immersion and huge scares.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

While not open world I would recommend FEAR 1 for having an immense atmosphere and not holding your hand. Besides that the story is quite lengthy for a fps.

Condemned 1 is a farily close second recommendation.

Ofcourse I have to mention STALKER aswell, especially with the 2009 complete mod and realistic combat package. Tremendous atmosphere and it has a decent open world aswell. If anything this would be as close to Metro 2033 as you're gonna get.