Games like Deus Ex HR (Gameplay and Story wise)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 creaturemagic
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts
So, I've just finished DE:HR and the two things I loved about the game were 1. The gameplay, the idea you could choose how to approach things, the stealth, the gun play and the cover system 2. The story, the conspiracies, the writing etc. So I was wondering, what other games have great stories and gameplay, they don't really have to be similar to Deus Ex, they just have to have a good story and good gameplay. I've played the HL series, I own and have played a bit of Mass Effect 2, so would it be worth finishing and playing ME3? I WANT to play Deus Ex, but I'm just not sure I could. I'm not a graphics *****, It just looks so old and stuff. Thanks
Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts
Alpha Protocol is pretty much the only game I can think of that is even remotely similar to Deus Ex Human Revolution besides the other Deus Ex games.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#3 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Play the first Deus Ex. It blows both of its sequels out of the water. And then blows up the water too!!
creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 creaturemagic
Alpha Protocol is pretty much the only game I can think of that is even remotely similar to Deus Ex Human Revolution besides the other Deus Ex games. Toxic-Seahorse
Thanks, but I've heard terrible things about it. How bout if we forget Deus Ex completely, and just look for games with compelling and interesting stories?
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19571 Posts
Vampire Bloodlines is really similar to Deus Ex HR - more of an RPG, less polish, but it does storytelling/gameplay options/stealth/hacking extremely well. Alpha Protocol is another one, but more difficult to recommend. The choice of how to approach situations (and the dialogue choices in general) are some of the best you'll find, but the gameplay is fairly weak in comparison.
The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

On the original Deus Ex: If you think the graphics may be an issue, you could try modding it. Here is a video of a modded Deus Ex.

The Thief games may be worth looking into, if you like stealth. You may not be able to get into the first 2 of them, due to graphics, but there are a few graphical mods that make both of the games a bit easier on the eyes. Thief: Deadly Shadows is the third game, and graphically, it still looks good.

And, just in case you have not heard of it yet (which is doubtful), keep an eye out for Dishonored, which releases on October 9 - 12 (depending on location). And here is an awesome interactive trailer in case you have not seen it yet.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#7 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

Alpha Protocol comes to mind. It's got mixed reviews because of some technical issues, but otherwise it's a pretty cool game.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 creaturemagic

On the original Deus Ex: If you think the graphics may be an issue, you could try modding it. Here is a video of a modded Deus Ex.

The Thief games may be worth looking into, if you like stealth. You may not be able to get into the first 2 of them, due to graphics, but there are a few graphical mods that make both of the games a bit easier on the eyes. Thief: Deadly Shadows is the third game, and graphically, it still looks good.

And, just in case you have not heard of it yet (which is doubtful), keep an eye out for Dishonored, which releases on October 9 - 12 (depending on location). And here is an awesome interactive trailer in case you have not seen it yet.

The__Kraken
I completely forgot about Theif and Dishonoured. I'm pretty much positive I'll be picking up Dishonoured when it releases, so thanks for reminding me. And I'll give Alpha protocal a go seeing as everyone is recommending it. Thanks guys!
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#9 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I'd say Alpha Protocol, the Hard difficulty is broken beyond belief and its got some bugs and polish issues, but the writing and gameplay decisions were some of the best I've seen this generation. Its a game I am glad I purchased and I've gone through it several times, each time the game played out completely different from the last time.

The Metal Gear Solid games also remind me quite a bit of the Deus Ex games. Dealing with the near future, a focus on stealth and options in a combat situation, the ability to murder everyone or be a nonlethal ninja, etc. MGS2 and 3 are my favorites of the series, MGS is amazing but doesn't hold up well and MGS4 is really great and does a great job of ending everything for the series, but considering all the cliffhangers and plot points it does have a ton of cutscenes and expository.

I'd say Crysis is "kind of" like Deus Ex. You have a ton of options (and I actually went through 3/4 of the game without a single kill on Delta), and your suit powers remind me a lot of the tech powers you have in Deus Ex. Its a fantastic game, but instead of a cover system you have a lean system, but that's not really a negative since you have so many options in combat and don't really need one if you can use prone and lean effectively.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#11 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Aside from the games already mentioned,I´d say E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is a game with quite a few similarities to the DX series,story is actually interesting but told pretty poorly but gameplay wise it´s pretty good,especially after the patches,if you like the DX style of game you´ll probably like EYE as well.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Gameplay-wise Hitman isn't such a bad idea, the game gives you a nice amount of freedom and open space that you can use to assassinate your target. But for both story and gameplay? Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, amazing story (like really, it absolutely hooks you and doesn't let go until the end) and although it kind of forces you through lengthy action segments near the end, it generally gives you a nice amount of freedom to do things the way you want to. Also, there's a vampire class that can have a argument with a stop sign.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Oh yeah, Hitman definitely does an amazing job. My playstyle of choice in games is to be as unnoticed as possible, while exploring as much as possible, unless its a game like Resident Evil 4 where I can get more stuff from razing a place then running, or an RPG where I get experience for murdering dudes more then bypassing them.

Hitman does a great job of letting me play like that, I get in, I murder the guy I'm supposed to (preferably with no casualties and making it look like an accident), and I get out and nobody even knows the guy was murdered except for maybe one or two guys who happen to be naked, tranquilized and in a dumpster. Its very much how I played in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but with a more sandbox approach to it all that I love.

If you have and like Mass Effect 2 then definitely finish it and go on to 3, the decisions you make carry through and its really cool to see them add up to your point total (or deduct from them) based on what you've done, I'm ashamed I never played the first game but since I played the PS3 version the nifty comic thing let me kind of feel like I went through it all. If you can stomach the crappy driving and AI, the first game is worth a look too if you want to go through it all in order.

Also, the Fallout games. The older ones are isometric turn based RPG's, but the newer ones are much more like Deus Ex. Not a lot of nonlethal options, but in a post apocalyptic wasteland I think the morality of it all is more acceptable if you care about that. Ooh, it does have a karma system, and if you want you can specialize in stealth and crit. headshot everyone with suppressed weapons, plus New Vegas lets you modify your body and traits with the medical clinic while one of the many amazing mods for it adds cybernetic upgrades.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

For me the Fallout series are the best games i've ever played. It's not really like Dues Ex, but if you love story and great gameplay then look no further.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

I WANT to play Deus Ex, but I'm just not sure I could. I'm not a graphics *****, It just looks so old and stuff. Thankscreaturemagic

Add the mods from the blog in my signature for Deus Ex, and your problem is solved. Thus the game looks good (though add the DX10 renderer to make it look better than in the screenshots from my blog, i used OpenGL), plays well and has a good AI.

You simply will not find anything better than Modded Deus Ex and Deus Ex: HR, judging by your first post - the multitude of ways to progress trough any given situation, and the interesting conspiracy story. So give Modded Deus Ex a go now.

Another recommandation is Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay. It's a incredibly good game (one of my personal favorites of all times) with a focus on stealth, and a thick, immersive prison atmosphere. There are a multitude of creative ways to dispose of your enemies (some of these methods may not even be discovered on a first playtrough) and most of them are very gruesome (stabbing a enemy with a screwdriver, breaking his neck, pushing him off a tall edge wile he screams towards his death, etc.).

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Deus Ex Deus Ex: Invisible War System Shock System Shock 2 Bioshock Bioshock 2 Thief Thief 2 Thief: Deadly Shadows Dishonored
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Aside from the games already mentioned,I´d say E.Y.E Divine Cybermancy is a game with quite a few similarities to the DX series,story is actually interesting but told pretty poorly but gameplay wise it´s pretty good,especially after the patches,if you like the DX style of game you´ll probably like EYE as well.

Arach666
I have to agree,despite it´s shortcomings it´s still a pretty good game and very familiar for a Deus Ex fan.
Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Fallout New Vegas.

creaturemagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 creaturemagic
Okay, you guys have convinced me :) I'll buy Deus Ex, Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol and E.Y.E and I'll be looking forward to Dishonoured and the new Hitman and Thief 4. And once I'm done with all those (Which may be awhile) I might look into Mass Effect again, I haven't installed Origin, and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible. Edit: Speaking of Origin, does Crysis 1 require it?
TruedUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TruedUp
Member since 2002 • 691 Posts
[QUOTE="creaturemagic"]Okay, you guys have convinced me :) I'll buy Deus Ex, Vampire: Bloodlines, Fallout New Vegas, Alpha Protocol and E.Y.E and I'll be looking forward to Dishonoured and the new Hitman and Thief 4. And once I'm done with all those (Which may be awhile) I might look into Mass Effect again, I haven't installed Origin, and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible. Edit: Speaking of Origin, does Crysis 1 require it?

Definitely consider the Mass Effect trilogy, but if you do play it, make sure you play ME1,and both sequels. Keep your save game files each time. As for stealth, Dishonored should fill that void for all of us this week. Hopefully.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
crysis does not require origin, unless you buy it from origin.