Fractal design, define R4. Cooling performance ?

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TDuiker
Member since 2004 • 11689 Posts

After doing a lot of reading and viewing of reviews. Ive come to teh conclusion that there not much difference between 2 or 4 fans on The H100i, and that a H100i with fans fots in a R4 case. And seeing as the R4 has sound dampening material, wich should help with noise.. right ?

Anyways i could get a define R4 stick a H100i in there with 2 SP120 quiet editio on it in push eaxhausting. And stick 3 AF140's in the case.

I am just wondering how good the cooling is on teh R4, aspecially the front intake, ause of the door.

Id like to OC my cpu to 4.6 if itll go that high that is, but will there be enough ventilation ??

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TDuiker

What i am thinking right now is a white define R4 with a window, with 3 NFA14 PWM fans. Stick 2 or 4 NFF12 on the H100i. I think thatll look sweet :D

Still getting conflicting data wheter push pull fits in a R4 roof, i guess ill just get 2 NFF12 for the H100i, at first at least.

Apparently it fits push or pull on top, you can stick it in teh fron in push/pull. But id have to remove the drive cages, and i gotta mount 3 mechanical drives. for now anyways..

Marfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Marfoo
Member since 2004 • 6002 Posts

I have the Define R4. I only use the front two intake fans, the bottom intake and the only exhaust is the rear. I prefer to run a positive pressure setup. I have all Noctua fans and the machine is whisper quiet. The GPUs rev up when gaming (they're stock blower style). But if you're worried about the front grill limiting intake, I get plenty of airflow with my Noctuas which prioritize silence over airflow anyway. To keep it quiet you'll want to run it like I have it. Using the side vent and top vents will make the system noticeably louder, and honestly you don't need too many fans to achieve good cooling anyway. Most gaming cases are overkill in terms of number of fans and the returns diminish quickly. Of course, if you have the H100i, you'll need the top vents for the radiator. But overall, I love the case, the build quality is fantastic and they include a lot of little details, extra parts and tools that make it an excellent value and premium buy. Super happy with my purchase. If you'd like I can share some pics of my setup if you're interested.

TDuiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TDuiker

Well yes i was concerned about the front intake, and yes i will be using a H100i. Thing is, i dont kow how much of a difference there will be between push, or push pull on the radiator.

Push pull doesnt fit in the top of the R4, and a H100i barely fits anyways.. its a nice case, but im more inclined to go for a 750D.