For anyone who might be interested in trying Linux

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I personally recommend Manjaro. Stable, fast, and easy to use. It even comes with Steam preinstalled. Sorry for the shameless advertising lol.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexKidd5000

So do I man....so so I...

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

Im not really a fan of Linux, I took a course in college on Linux and I it didnt impress me.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@CWEBB04z said:

Im not really a fan of Linux, I took a course in college on Linux and I it didnt impress me.

I did hate Ubuntu, and Linux Mint. But Manjaro is everything they aren't.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@CWEBB04z: Linux is great if you know what you are doing.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@CWEBB04z said:

Most courses in Linux involve either the server side or the CLI side. I haven't seen any Linux courses that focus on the desktop side.

I'd evaluate new distros from time to time when I get the urge.

Edit: I still have Ubuntu server (dualboot) on my netbook. I use Ubuntu server with MySQL and PHP stuff plus Apache (LAMP).

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AlexKidd5000

@GummiRaccoon said:

It's not hard at all.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@CWEBB04z said:

Most courses in Linux involve either the server side or the CLI side. I haven't seen any Linux courses that focus on the desktop side.

I'd evaluate new distros from time to time when I get the urge.

Edit: I still have Ubuntu server (dualboot) on my netbook. I use Ubuntu server with MySQL and PHP stuff plus Apache (LAMP).

Yea, I really didn't work with the desktop side.. it was mostly with servers. I worked with Red hat and Fedora Linux and it was boring...

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

im having a look at solydxk.....seem like an interesting middle ground between a fixed release and a rolling release. i saw it in a linux mag I read and it got a good (i didnt say solid :P....) review. might plonk it on a VM over the weekend and check it out.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

"For anyone who might be interested in trying Linux"

said no one ever...

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AlexKidd5000

@osan0 said:

im having a look at solydxk.....seem like an interesting middle ground between a fixed release and a rolling release. i saw it in a linux mag I read and it got a good (i didnt say solid :P....) review. might plonk it on a VM over the weekend and check it out.

Yeah, a guy on youtube named InfinitlyGalactic did a top 3 rolling release distros and solydXK was number 2. Manjaro was number 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koSbb8ciEeA

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

I prefer Linux for general Desktop use, as I've used it a lot in past desktops that were never gaming PC's. However for gaming not enough games are compatible with it.

Linux is great to revive old machines and give them purpose again, I use a really old AMD 64(1ghz) PC with 512mb DDR1 ram in work for presentations and other stuff it runs really fast with using my favorite Linux Distro Fedora.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

It's not hard at all.

my experience is support is fucking terrible.

not for lack of it but of overabundance of it.

with linux there's usually not just 1 way to do something, but 50. so when a person asks a question you end up responses something along the lines of

person1: how do i do (this) in linux?

person2: oh, that's easy, just type (insert cryptic command line command here but not explain what it's actually doing) at the command line

person3: no, don't do that ^^ do this, this is way better because (insert reason why they think their method is superior) : (insert equally cryptic command line command here, again not explaining what command does or what arguments are)

person4: what distro are you on?

person1: (insert distro)

persons5:8 (insert distro) sucks. (insert examples why (insert distro) sucks and why their chosen distro is better)

person9: why on earth are you trying to do (this), just do (this2) instead!

perons10: ^^ no, that's stupid, what are you an noob? i've been on linux since '96 and chat w/ Linus all the time on message boards, person1: just do (this3) instead

person1: uh.. ok. how do i do (this3)

persons2-10: *repeat*

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@comp_atkins: haha to be fair your right I got a bit of that when I experienced Linux. I researched fedora and other red hat distros on my own to get a decent level of competence.

When I posted on a Linux forum a question I would get different responses for a simple task and sometimes a flame war would erupt over it haha

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have not tried a Linux setup since like early 2000s and I used Red Hat. I was thinking of trying to get into it again one day.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AlexKidd5000

@thehig1 said:

@comp_atkins: haha to be fair your right I got a bit of that when I experienced Linux. I researched fedora and other red hat distros on my own to get a decent level of competence.

When I posted on a Linux forum a question I would get different responses for a simple task and sometimes a flame war would erupt over it haha

True that there are a number of ways to perform tasks, ranging from simple to complicated solutions. the most common issue I've had is simply not being familiar with any distro not based on Arch lol.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AlexKidd5000
@comp_atkins said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

It's not hard at all.

my experience is support is fucking terrible.

not for lack of it but of overabundance of it.

with linux there's usually not just 1 way to do something, but 50. so when a person asks a question you end up responses something along the lines of

person1: how do i do (this) in linux?

person2: oh, that's easy, just type (insert cryptic command line command here but not explain what it's actually doing) at the command line

person3: no, don't do that ^^ do this, this is way better because (insert reason why they think their method is superior) : (insert equally cryptic command line command here, again not explaining what command does or what arguments are)

person4: what distro are you on?

person1: (insert distro)

persons5:8 (insert distro) sucks. (insert examples why (insert distro) sucks and why their chosen distro is better)

person9: why on earth are you trying to do (this), just do (this2) instead!

perons10: ^^ no, that's stupid, what are you an noob? i've been on linux since '96 and chat w/ Linus all the time on message boards, person1: just do (this3) instead

person1: uh.. ok. how do i do (this3)

persons2-10: *repeat*

It's important to visit forums for your particular distro lol.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Manjaro is indeed great in its simplicity while nor sacrificing versatility. I use it myself and adore it. Nevertheless, for complete newbies, elementary OS is probably the way to go.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17817 Posts

stuck manjaro on a VM earlier. It was on one of the discs i get with a mag i read.

sadly it was the openbox edition. i used openbox years ago when i used crunchbang on a really old laptop. its grand after much tweaking...but it needs a lot fo tweaking and is not intuitive in the slightest. its really for systems with very limited resources.

i will probably plonk KDE on it at some stage.

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

I'm happy enough with Ubuntu for now. :P

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

honestly I was thinking of making my current pc into a Linux studio,

but I have to assemble another rig avengers style first

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@Hexagon_777 said:

Manjaro is indeed great in its simplicity while nor sacrificing versatility. I use it myself and adore it. Nevertheless, for complete newbies, elementary OS is probably the way to go.

Yeah, your probably right, my point was that after they get to know linux more, to try out Manjaro if they want. elementary OS, Mint, Ubuntu, and ZorinOS are great starter distros. Though I had a better experience with Zorin than Mint.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AlexKidd5000

@osan0 said:

stuck manjaro on a VM earlier. It was on one of the discs i get with a mag i read.

sadly it was the openbox edition. i used openbox years ago when i used crunchbang on a really old laptop. its grand after much tweaking...but it needs a lot fo tweaking and is not intuitive in the slightest. its really for systems with very limited resources.

i will probably plonk KDE on it at some stage.

Openbox is not my cup of tea, KDE is my personal favorite.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hexagon_777
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

Yeah, your probably right, my point was that after they get to know linux more, to try out Manjaro if they want. elementary OS, Mint, Ubuntu, and ZorinOS are great starter distros. Though I had a better experience with Zorin than Mint.

Manjaro is on the same level as these other distros in terms of ease of use, if not easier, but elementary OS takes it a step further I feel.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AlexKidd5000

@Hexagon_777 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

Manjaro is on the same level as these other distros in terms of ease of use, if not easier, but elementary OS takes it a step further I feel.

I never used eOS, so I don't know. But yeah, I find Manjaro easier to use than Ubuntu.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

I never used eOS, so I don't know. But yeah, I find Manjaro easier to use than Ubuntu.

I humbly suggest that you recommend elementary OS to complete n00bs and Manjaro to PC gamers. If they can't figure out how to use Manjaro, they shouldn't be PC gaming to begin with. It's that easy.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AlexKidd5000

@Hexagon_777 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:
@AlexKidd5000 said:

@Hexagon_777 said:

I humbly suggest that you recommend elementary OS to complete n00bs and Manjaro to PC gamers. If they can't figure out how to use Manjaro, they shouldn't be PC gaming to begin with. It's that easy.

Rightio.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 after reading this thread i tried out manjero in virtual box and i have to say i quite like it. it feels a lot more customizable than some of the other distros i've tried. i can see this becoming my favorite distro if i ever switched to linux.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@Kh1ndjal said:

@AlexKidd5000 after reading this thread i tried out manjero in virtual box and i have to say i quite like it. it feels a lot more customizable than some of the other distros i've tried. i can see this becoming my favorite distro if i ever switched to linux.

Yeah, I just found Manjaro to be a much better gaming, and all around better OS than Ubuntu, or Mint. Much more solid, and faster, and easier to use. It feels alot like Windows in that games usually just work, and run well. And the way it manages updates is far better than Ubuntu. And kernel upgrades are effortless, and don't break your system, unless you use a kernel that is still deep in development, and is unstable.

And KDE is my shell of choice, since it's the most customizable I've used.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

i see Linux just as a free internet-browser-OS lol.

no Adobe or Autodesk software available for it, so it's effectively useless OS for me.

it does look very sleek, though.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AlexKidd5000

@groowagon said:

i see Linux just as a free internet-browser-OS lol.

no Adobe or Autodesk software available for it, so it's effectively useless OS for me.

it does look very sleek, though.

Obviously Linux is a lot more than that, and has a number of open source (and maybe closed source) alternatives to many Windows only programs.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Loading Video...

elemenaryOS

I admit, it's pretty damn good.