This topic is locked from further discussion.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dsgsdfgf
Member since 2005 • 1004 Posts

Steam has to be one of the worst POS ever in pc gaming. Today is my day off, a day when I wanted to relax and play some games instead of just studying all day but Steam doesn't seem to want that. When I try to login, I get the "can't connect to steam network" error message. There's nothing wrong with my account, internet connection or pc. Worst of all the offline mode gives me the same message eventhough it should work as the credentials are saved etc.

This is BS!
I don't care that they have their stupid "sale" going on. I want to play my games and I want to do it now when I have time to do so. It's unacceptable.
The funny thing is that if I hadn't payed for my games but gotten them "elsewhere" I wouldn't have any problem.

Anyone else who miss the days when you just had to put in the disc and play?

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

dsgsdfgf
Hell no.
Avatar image for Majd_Abdulqadir
Majd_Abdulqadir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Majd_Abdulqadir
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

[QUOTE="dsgsdfgf"]

flipin_jackass

Hell no.

Speaking of discs, I definetly "miss" the days when you only had to open your cd case and discover it's not even there, then go through your whole cd library looking for that game just to discover that one of your nephews decided to borrow it without your permission.

No, having all my games in one personal account is much better IMO.

Avatar image for MickaelJulliard
MickaelJulliard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 MickaelJulliard
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

Wanna use a disc? Get an Xbox

I'm pretty prone to losing stuff, I love Steam because of that haha

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Still can't find my Empire Earth disc, I have this thing with it where I'll lose it and 2 years later I'll find it and play it for a couple weeks before it vanishes again. Sucks bad man. This has happened at least 3 times.

Avatar image for deactivated-662c11bd61009
deactivated-662c11bd61009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-662c11bd61009
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts

My Battlefield 2 disc has got a scratch with so much use that i can't play it anymore and i've lost my CD key to an old Half Life Generation pack so can't install that either. I understand some people get problems more than other but i've had very few problems with Steam over the years and very grateful that i have access to a system like it with all my games in one place with no fears losing them.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

1.Unplug your ethernet cable

2.Launch steam

3.Profit

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dsgsdfgf

2.Launch steam

3.Profit

topgunmv

"Can't connect to steam network" is all I get. It was the first thing I tried after failing to connect.

Kokihatu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kokihatu_
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts

This problem has occurred for myself also and it is really annoying. This is definitely an issue that should be fixed. And to the people who are losing their cd:s/dvd:s; It's your own fault for losing them, but it's up to Steam to have a working service, so just because you can't find your own stuff doesn't mean Steam should be allowed to mess up their own service...

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I sort of miss offline gaming for single player games, but I don't miss losing my CD-keys on some of my old games. I still have the actual discs just not the box and other stuff with the CD-key.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

People are complaining about losing their discs? Be more organized and keep them in their box. It's not that hard... As for kids taking them and playing with them, they shouldn't even be near your stuff unless YOU have allowed them. Stuff like that should be stored away properly. Boundaries folks, boundaries. Anyways, retail versions still exist for a reason and it's very nice to have a physical copy for collection purposes. Eventually though, the digital scene will take over almost completely if not entirely. Enjoy it while it lasts.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts

Yes it sucks if offline mode decides not to work when you have no internet your sh*t out of luck . You can purchase from other DD sites like gamergate which in many ways offers a better service then steam. It has larger selection of games as anything that steam does not approve like(to the moon) will likely make it there along with what ever steam has and they have alot of great sales just like steam. Also barring any steam works games they sell you don't need a client running to play there games if internet access goes out you can still play your games and you can install them on as many pc's you want for all of the drm games they have or as much as securerom will let you. The fact that they give you %5 back on purchases as credit for future games along with rewards for reviewing,rating games, and preordering games is also a very nice. When you make your account you also get to pick a minion which adds to discounts to any game you buy in the genres

So if you don't like how steam runs things switch to other DD sites steam and origin are the only ones that reguire a client running to play your games gamersgate.come is by far the best of the clientless DD sites not a big fan of amazon.com and Direct2Drive I don't like the site layout at all on those sites its difficult to manage your game library and find what you want to find. The deals are also not as good as steam and gamergate and you have to download the full game cleint then manaully install it for both. Gamergate auto launches the installer once its down downloadinf and then ask you wheather to delete or save the install files stream lining the proccess just a hair short of steams method.

dsgsdfgf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dsgsdfgf

Yes it sucks if offline mode decides not to work when you have no internet your sh*t out of luck . You can purchase from other DD sites like gamergate which in many ways offers a better service then steam. It has larger selection of games as anything that steam does not approve like(to the moon) will likely make it there along with what ever steam has and they have alot of great sales just like steam. Also barring any steam works games they sell you don't need a client running to play there games if internet access goes out you can still play your games and you can install them on as many pc's you want or (as much as securerom will let you). The fact that they give you %5 back on purchases as credit for future games along with rewards for reviewing and rating games in also a very nice.

DJ_Headshot

Yeah, I like GamersGate the most(with the exception of GOG) of the DD sites.
The thing is that it's nothing wrong with my connection, it's rock solid. It's an issue on Steam's end which I can't do anything about. :(

On games with only a disc check you don't have to depend on other people to be able to play your game, it's only a question of not loosing the disc.
I know where my stuff is so it's no problem for me.

FatSlasH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FatSlasH
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts

1. Google issue

2. Find solution

3. Fix it

These 3 steps have always worked for me

zhangweizheng3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 zhangweizheng3
Member since 2006 • 217 Posts

yeah I **** hate that steam-ing pile of sh1t too

really miss the old days

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#16 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

Love Steam, but certainly issues like that should never be occurring. I haven't had any such issues today myself though. Try using offline mode for the time being.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

indeed i love steam! it also lets me oganize my non-steam games which is pretty 1337

which means you can see when im repping for pride over in APB like a champ :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvswyFSjtc

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Can you go in offline mode if you are playing a sp game?
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
Can you go in offline mode if you are playing a sp game?JigglyWiggly_
Yes and no. You CAN do offline, but once in a while, Steam needs to contact the mothership so you do need to go online at least for a few seconds or so after a while. I guess this is to prevent people from opening too many offline instances.
rben21232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rben21232
Member since 2007 • 568 Posts

I've never had a problem with Steam....

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts
I had this happen a month or so ago when my net went down. After i got the issue fixed all it took was to run steam one time in offline mode while connected to the internets to get it set up. After that the problem was solved for me. Of course since youre saying you are online im not sure what the deal is. I think you should be putting this info on the steam forums if you want a real solution, looks like you arent getting a fix here.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

2.Launch steam

3.Profit

dsgsdfgf

"Can't connect to steam network" is all I get. It was the first thing I tried after failing to connect.

Sorry dude. That sucks, but I've been playing Skyrim on Steam all day without a hitch.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
I had this happen a month or so ago when my net went down. After i got the issue fixed all it took was to run steam one time in offline mode while connected to the internets to get it set up. After that the problem was solved for me. Of course since youre saying you are online im not sure what the deal is. I think you should be putting this info on the steam forums if you want a real solution, looks like you arent getting a fix here.jer_1
IIRC it used to be that you had to run offline mode once while able to connect to the internet, and after that you'd essentially be good to go forever. Something silly like that. I thought they'd fixed it back in 2009 or 2010, though.