Elite dangerous omg

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

Just bought it yesterday and I actually took the time to write a review about it because it's simpy that good. I wouldn't make a thread about this normally but since gamespot hasn't got a review yet....

If anyone is interested, you can find it here

Any comments about my findings , or if you have anything to add, it's all welcome

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@evildead6789 said:

Just bought it yesterday and I actually took the time to write a review about it because it's simpy that good. I wouldn't make a thread about this normally but since gamespot hasn't got a review yet....

If anyone is interested, you can find it here

Any comments about my findings , or if you have anything to add, it's all welcome

I can't comment on the game since I don't own it, but the general consensus is that it looks amazing when you first try it, but becomes tedious/boring/stale quickly after you realize how limited it is.

(Note: general consensus, not what I think)

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

^Ya from all the sources I've gotten info on it seems the game starts off wowing players sucking them only to make them realize slowly there really isn't much to do, and player interaction is at a minimal so ya not for me. But I'm glad you liked it OP, might have to try it out if star citizen is delayed, by then I'm sure far more of the game will be done making it seem less empty.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By commander

@ribstaylor1 said:

^Ya from all the sources I've gotten info on it seems the game starts off wowing players sucking them only to make them realize slowly there really isn't much to do, and player interaction is at a minimal so ya not for me. But I'm glad you liked it OP, might have to try it out if star citizen is delayed, by then I'm sure far more of the game will be done making it seem less empty.

@FelipeInside said:

I can't comment on the game since I don't own it, but the general consensus is that it looks amazing when you first try it, but becomes tedious/boring/stale quickly after you realize how limited it is.

(Note: general consensus, not what I think)

Well I completely agree, but there isn't much to do in call of duty or battlefield also when you look it that way.

The difference is, elite is pretty much one of it's kind, while games like call of duties and battlefields have been released since the late nineties. They may have improved a bit, but this is nowhere near the difference between elite 1984 or even nineties elite

and this

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

How can people think there's not much to do, there's loads! Pirating, working for the "man", mining, pillaging, bounty hunting, etc etc

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

http://www.gamesradar.com/elite-dangerous-review/ here you go :D

@evildead6789 I hope they've improved the multiplayer since that review

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@klunt_bumskrint said:

How can people think there's not much to do, there's loads! Pirating, working for the "man", mining, pillaging, bounty hunting, etc etc

it's a mile wide and an inch deep. By 10hrs in or less, you've literally seen everything there is. What's there is great, but grindy and limited, but is a good platform to expand on. Bounty hunting on day one is the same as bounty hunting with top gear and a top ship, and same for everything else. Players also cannot shape the world and it is devoid of life.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 commander

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

it's a mile wide and an inch deep. By 10hrs in or less, you've literally seen everything there is. What's there is great, but grindy and limited, but is a good platform to expand on. Bounty hunting on day one is the same as bounty hunting with top gear and a top ship, and same for everything else. Players also cannot shape the world and it is devoid of life.

you're referring to the call of duty? no?

I doubt you even played this game

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wis3boi

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

typed it while flying my cobra. You seem upset

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 commander

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

so you're being negative while playing

Sorry i don't play games that i don't like, apparently you do

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Will buy it some day. Would have got it already if they shipped out to other online stores apart from there website.

mirgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mirgamer
Member since 2003 • 2489 Posts

@ribstaylor1 said:

^Ya from all the sources I've gotten info on it seems the game starts off wowing players sucking them only to make them realize slowly there really isn't much to do, and player interaction is at a minimal so ya not for me.

Many of the same people also seem to forget that Elite is not set in stone, its meant to be an evolving game that incorporate newer features and be fleshed out over time. Its also launched from a Kickstarter effort and it will be a minimally barebone kind of game, like most Kickstarters are. But the foundation is there and the mechanic is rock solid. Even at this pretty barren state, the game has achieved wonders and quite remarkable, compared to many KS projects.

Perhaps a fully realised "game" it is not, not yet at least. But as a spaceship simulator, it scores pretty damn high.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@mirgamer said:

@ribstaylor1 said:

^Ya from all the sources I've gotten info on it seems the game starts off wowing players sucking them only to make them realize slowly there really isn't much to do, and player interaction is at a minimal so ya not for me.

Many of the same people also seem to forget that Elite is not set in stone, its meant to be an evolving game that incorporate newer features and be fleshed out over time. Its also launched from a Kickstarter effort and it will be a minimally barebone kind of game, like most Kickstarters are. But the foundation is there and the mechanic is rock solid. Even at this pretty barren state, the game has achieved wonders and quite remarkable, compared to many KS projects.

Perhaps a fully realised "game" it is not, not yet at least. But as a spaceship simulator, it scores pretty damn high.

Yes but all these extra features are going to be added in a charged for DLC,the base game as it is now is shallow and lacking content...luckily i dropped money on the Premium Beta so i get all expansions as they release,this game should finally turn into something worthy in the next couple of years rather than the shell it is now as long as you spend more money of course....

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wis3boi

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

criticism =/= dont like. I can enjoy a game and point out its faults, apparently that's way too novel a concept for this forum. I really dont understand how butthurt people get on this forum when you so much as imply faults in someones new toy.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By commander

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

criticism =/= dont like. I can enjoy a game and point out its faults, apparently that's way too novel a concept for this forum. I really dont understand how butthurt people get on this forum when you so much as imply faults in someones new toy.

maybe try to be a bit more objective in your criticism, you can apply your criticism on games like call of duty and battlefield as well

only with elite it's pretty much the first of it's kind

So it has nothing to do with butthurt, but with using valid arguments

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

What the hell does Call of Duty or Battlefield have to do with this game?

@wis3boi 's opinion was valid and pretty objective if you ask me. He said he enjoys the game but as it is right now it needs more things to do and have the world come more alive (which is the general consensus I hear everywhere). Of course the devs just need to add stuff and I'm sure this game will be even better a few months down the track.

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

I quite like this game, it made me buy a hota setup. It does need some more elements to it, but theres just nothing else modern to play compared to it. (EVE is very different)

Its more a game for real sci fi and simulation fans atm. You can pretty much feel like a star trek / star wars captain in space with a hota / voice command / headtrack or occulus etc. Very nice immersion.

I just hope that they will take the right route from here on.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

Haven't played it yet, gonna wait a month or two, then get my flight stick.

I already owned it, I pre-ordered actually. Seeing as how there are 0 games like this, I wanted to support even the re-emergence of such a genre of games.

I don't doubt future updates will be both free, and premium. (Some of both)

I expect it to be a little empty now, but I also fully expect it to flourish nicely over the next 3-6 months.

I just built my new rig. Haswell-E, gtx970, 16gb of DDR4. 1TB 850 pro SSD from samsung! I am so ready for some serious games!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

@Lach0121 said:

I just built my new rig. Haswell-E, gtx970, 16gb of DDR4. 1TB 850 pro SSD from samsung! I am so ready for some serious games!

TIME FOR PAC-MAN 3D !!!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I enjoy this game, but I don't know that I disagree with any of the criticisms. I'm having fun, but right now what I see is a great platform to build on and I eagerly look forward every new patch. The game is still fun for me right now, but I also admit that many of the things that make this game fun for me is my setup. I have a flight cockpit with a HOTAS stick, a three monitor setup, a trackIR, an Oculus Rift DK2, etc so even just the mundane flying is fun. Yes, there's a lot to do but most of it boils down to fly, dock, fight. Yes, the faction influence stuff is interesting and the ability to actually impact what's going in an a system is neat, but it feels very disconnected. There are news articles about what's happening with each system and lore, but with no people or story it feels very disconnected.

Yes, there are a lot of things to do mission-wise and to make money, but flying a Cobra I find myself relegated to one activity and that's farming pirates in Resource Extraction Sites. I can make 100k in a relatively short amount of time just by hunting pirates, but the problem is that's lucrative enough to basically exclude any other activity I might take on while simultaneously not being enough money to be able to get to the next ship without spending a LOT of time grinding. Beyond that, I'm just buying bigger and better versions of the equipment I already have.

Still, I have a lot of hope for the future of this game and it -is- a pretty cool game right now.

-Byshop

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wis3boi

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

maybe try to be a bit more objective in your criticism, you can apply your criticism on games like call of duty and battlefield as well

its not the first of its kind.....the original came out in 1984 and had more things to do in it. Here's hoping they follow through with what they said they would add in. I used a valid argument, one based on my few hundred hours in its universe. You still seem to be in that 'omg stage' that I also went through when I first got the game. It wears off once you see how much of the world is copy pasted and how little players can affect the world. I was a part of the Ho Hsi war, a war started by players by altering faction strength in that system. It ended a week later, with absolutely no change. I already said the game is fun and a great platform, and it needs to grow. Right now its a half baked mess.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I agree with most people saying it's shallow. There's a lot to do, but not really a lot of depth to what's available to do. Bounty hunting has gotten old. I have a fully upgraded viper but I'm not earning enough to get any of the bigger ships any time soon.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By commander

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

its not the first of its kind.....the original came out in 1984 and had more things to do in it. Here's hoping they follow through with what they said they would add in. I used a valid argument, one based on my few hundred hours in its universe. You still seem to be in that 'omg stage' that I also went through when I first got the game. It wears off once you see how much of the world is copy pasted and how little players can affect the world. I was a part of the Ho Hsi war, a war started by players by altering faction strength in that system. It ended a week later, with absolutely no change. I already said the game is fun and a great platform, and it needs to grow. Right now its a half baked mess.

You're comparing elite dangerous with this?

It does have similarities

but the first elite doesn't have multiplayer, it doesn't have the milky way, it doesn't have speed management like elite dangerous has. It doesn't have stunning graphics, just some lines. The flight system isn't the same, there's too much that is different to mention them all.

At the moment there is nothing out there like elite dangerous, it's as simple as that. The fact that it's based of an old game doesn't mean it's like that old game. It's like saying that gran turismo is the same kind of game as pole position because it has cars in it and because it involves racing.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 wis3boi

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@evildead6789 said:

@wis3boi said:

@klunt_bumskrint said:

You're comparing elite dangerous with this?

It does have similarities

but the first elite doesn't have multiplayer, it doesn't have the milky way, it doesn't have speed management like elite dangerous has. It doesn't have stunning graphics, just some lines. The flight system isn't the same, there's too much that is different to mention them all.

At the moment there is nothing out there like elite dangerous, it's as simple as that. The fact that it's based of an old game doesn't mean it's like that old game. It's like saying that gran turismo is the same kind of game as pole position because it has cars in it and because it involves racing.

Frontier's goal when making the kickstarter: To recreate their 1984 classic in a new engine. We've got a ways to go.

Also lol @ multiplayer. Cant even group with your friends yet or share missions or items/money. Thankfully its in the works for....somepoint.

But at this point there's no convincing you that it isnt a piece of pure gold you've purchased and that it needs work, you're still completely blinded by the stars

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Lach0121 said:

TIME FOR PAC-MAN 3D !!!

lol, you've read my mind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-579f651eab962

Chill guys with the quote chains, I mean Damn!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Byshop  Moderator

@airshocker said:

I agree with most people saying it's shallow. There's a lot to do, but not really a lot of depth to what's available to do. Bounty hunting has gotten old. I have a fully upgraded viper but I'm not earning enough to get any of the bigger ships any time soon.

The Cobra is an achievable goal at around the 600k mark, but the next cheapest ship is about 6 mil (ASP) unless I want a Lakon frieghter for 1 mil that can't stand up in a fight. Per the other thread, I'm topping out at about 100k per 30-60 minutes of bounty hunting so that'll take me a -long- time to get to. Sure, there are other activities I can be doing to mix it up, but anything else I take on is likely to just get me less money and make it take longer to get to my next goal of a bigger ship. I wish the missions I can find were more lucrative.

-Byshop

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 commander

@Byshop said:

@airshocker said:

The Cobra is an achievable goal at around the 600k mark, but the next cheapest ship is about 6 mil (ASP) unless I want a Lakon frieghter for 1 mil that can't stand up in a fight. Per the other thread, I'm topping out at about 100k per 30-60 minutes of bounty hunting so that'll take me a -long- time to get to. Sure, there are other activities I can be doing to mix it up, but anything else I take on is likely to just get me less money and make it take longer to get to my next goal of a bigger ship. I wish the missions I can find were more lucrative.

-Byshop

Maybe you should go explore deeper in space.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@evildead6789: Is it lucrative? How much can you make and what scanners are required to make that amount? If I can't make decent money at it, it sounds less interesting than combat.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-579f651eab962

I'm too scared to get into combat until my flight stick arrives, I've only won 2 fights before with mouse and keyboard.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#31 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Iv been making my money killing wanteds at nav point around Beta Hydri for the past couple of days. Like Byshop said its about 100k for 30 mins. I dont know if I have just been getting lucky recently or weather there is some kind of level scaling in the game but the AI seem to have gotten a bit harder and im seeing 30k+ bounties more often since getting a new combat rank and buying a Cobra.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By commander

@Byshop said:

@evildead6789: Is it lucrative? How much can you make and what scanners are required to make that amount? If I can't make decent money at it, it sounds less interesting than combat.

-Byshop

no but when going a bit deeper in space in noticed some weird thing , like someone asking me to drop contracts, I did drop the contract , i was affraid of getting killed (the contract was getting some sort of mineral that i couldn't find on space stations), they did pay me though. It wasn't much money (about 1000 credits) but I didn't have to do anything for it, and this was in my first hours of play, so for me a 1000 credits was pretty nice. I was curious was would happen when i pursued that contract, but i wasn't going to try that with my sidewinder.

There's more to it than you presume I think, of course if you stay in the same systems all the time, you will get the same thing all the time. If it's more lucrative, i don't know, but i guess the more dangerous , the more lucrative. Now you're just doing stuff that you know that you can handle.

I'm close to getting an eagle and i will do some other stuff now, like bounty hunting probably or even pirating, but if had a cobra like you, I would go a lot further that I'm planning with my eagle. Why don't you go out and explore, I even saw an article there were big space battles in december.

Like i said, there problaby a lot more to it than you think, but you have to go out of your comfort zone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

no but when going a bit deeper in space in noticed some weird thing , like someone asking me to drop contracts, I did drop the contract , i was affraid of getting killed (the contract was getting some sort of mineral that i couldn't find on space stations), they did pay me though. It wasn't much money (about 1000 credits) but I didn't have to do anything for it, and this was in my first hours of play, so for me a 1000 credits was pretty nice. I was curious was would happen when i pursued that contract, but i wasn't going to try that with my sidewinder.

There's more to it than you presume I think, of course if you stay in the same systems all the time, you will get the same thing all the time. If it's more lucrative, i don't know, but i guess the more dangerous , the more lucrative. Now you're just doing stuff that you know that you can handle.

I'm close to getting an eagle and i will do some other stuff now, like bounty hunting probably or even pirating, but if had a cobra like you, I would go a lot further that I'm planning with my eagle. Why don't you go out and explore, I even saw an article there were big space battles in december.

Like i said, there problaby a lot more to it than you think, but you have to go out of your comfort zone.

If bounty hunting in anarchy systems isn't going out of my comfort zone, I don't know what is.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commander

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

If bounty hunting in anarchy systems isn't going out of my comfort zone, I don't know what is.

since when is your name byshop?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

Since you quoted me and him saying we should explore deeper in space.

The problem isn't that we aren't exploring, it's that after a week or so the game doesn't have that much left to do.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By commander

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

The problem isn't that we aren't exploring, it's that after a week or so the game doesn't have that much left to do.

indeed, my stupidity got the better of me again

well I only have the game three days, so maybe i'll run into that 'nothing left to do' as well, but at the moment it's hard to believe that.

So when you're exploring, does that mean you're going to a star system and checking out unidentified signal sources?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

@evildead6789 said:

well I only have the game three days, so maybe i'll run into that 'nothing left to do' as well, but at the moment it's hard to believe that.

So when you're exploring, does that mean you're going to a star system and checking out unidentified signal sources?

Yeah. Then when you get far enough away you can sell the data. Not nearly lucrative enough for me. I like bounty hunting.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

I don't think you understood what I was saying. The problem isn't that there's nothing to do, the problem is that to get to the next tier of ship I'm going to have to grind A LOT doing the same thing over and over to get to the next tier of ship because the price jump is so significant and most of the things I can do (from a variety perspective) are just going to increase my grind time. I have a Cobra with about 2 million dollars worth of equipment. Military Plating (350k), four gimbal mounted beam lasers (80k each), upgraded wake scanner, upgraded kill warrant scanner, upgraded FSD (200k), upgraded power plant (200k), upgraded power distribution (200k), etc, etc.

I can destroy an Eagle in one burst of my weapons (less than 5 seconds) and a Sidewinder in only a little bit more than that. Vipers, Cobras, and Adders take a little bit longer to take down but in a 1:1 fight I very rarely meet one that I can't kill without taking no damage.

The problem isn't that there's nothing to do, it's that there's nothing -else- that I can do that's nearly as lucrative as what I'm doing because by killing pirates at RES spots I can make between 5-20k per kill. Earning up 100k worth of bounty goes pretty quickly, and that easily trumps any mission I can find at a station or how much money I can make in trading even with over 32 units of cargo space.

Here's what I have done:

Visited around 100 systems so far.

Sold discovery data (with a basic scanner I get maybe 5k per scanned system). More expensive scanners (like detailed surface scanners) start at 250k but I have no idea if they are worth it and they go up to 1.5 mil. When you suggested exploring more, I thought you can gotten much further along in this department so you could tell me but it sounds like you haven't.

Participated in warzones (only get at most a few k per kill so far less lucrative than pirate hunting)

Traded (in the new gamma/retail economy, I don't know how to make more than maybe 20k to 30k per run with my current cargo capacity, and that's far more time consuming than killing one pirate who's potentially worth that much)

Missions - each top out around 15 to maybe 20k but again are much more time consuming than just killing a pirate, unless the mission -is- to kill pirates in which case I get the mission purse plus the bounties.

Smuggling - Cargo I get from random points or dropped by pirates I have to go out of my way to sell somewhere where I won't get caught and usually it's not worth as much as killing pirates. (see more below)

Mining - tedious and time consuming, plus I have to give up some of my combat weapon slots to fit a mining laser. With no ability to scan asteroids for composition this is really lame right now. It was worth it when I had a Sidewinder, but not now.

Unidentified signal sources. There are a ton of these, but more than half the time they are a waste of time to investigate. Here's what I've found so far:

• Security services (nothing to do there but be scanned by them and leave)
  • Random cargo. I can pick this up, but then I run the risk of being scanned by security and most of the time what I can sell it for isn't worth my time or effort compared to bounty hunting. Sometimes the cargo is contraband, too, or a special cargo type that you can turn in for mission credit (rare art, rebel tranmissions, military plans, etc) but again those missions are usually only like 10-15k and I can get that from killing one pirate.
  • NPC traders. This sounded cool the first few times I met an NPC ship offering to buy something I had, but when I couldn't figure out how to interact with them I went to reddit and discovered that they haven't implimented that feature yet so it ended up being a waste of time.
  • NPC trader convoys. See above.
  • Pirate traps. I actually haven't seen this since beta which is too bad, but I might see a bunch of gold sitting in space, then when I try to grab some four pirates power up and ambush me.
  • Random mixes of pirates and other ships. I attack the pirates and earn bounty, same thing I do at RES sites. Generally worth the stop if they don't get away.

-Byshop

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 commander

@Byshop said:

@evildead6789 said:

@airshocker said:

I don't think you understood what I was saying. The problem isn't that there's nothing to do, the problem is that to get to the next tier of ship I'm going to have to grind A LOT doing the same thing over and over to get to the next tier of ship because the price jump is so significant and most of the things I can do (from a variety perspective) are just going to increase my grind time. I have a Cobra with about 2 million dollars worth of equipment. Military Plating (350k), four gimbal mounted beam lasers (80k each), upgraded wake scanner, upgraded kill warrant scanner, upgraded FSD (200k), upgraded power plant (200k), upgraded power distribution (200k), etc, etc.

I can destroy an Eagle in one burst of my weapons (less than 5 seconds) and a Sidewinder in only a little bit more than that. Vipers, Cobras, and Adders take a little bit longer to take down but in a 1:1 fight I very rarely meet one that I can't kill without taking no damage.

The problem isn't that there's nothing to do, it's that there's nothing -else- that I can do that's nearly as lucrative as what I'm doing because by killing pirates at RES spots I can make between 5-20k per kill. Earning up 100k worth of bounty goes pretty quickly, and that easily trumps any mission I can find at a station or how much money I can make in trading even with over 32 units of cargo space.

Here's what I have done:

Sold discovery data (with a basic scanner I get maybe 5k per scanned system). More expensive scanners (like detailed surface scanners) start at 250k but I have no idea if they are worth it and they go up to 1.5 mil. When you suggested exploring more, I thought you can gotten much further along in this department so you could tell me but it sounds like you haven't.

Participated in warzones (only get at most a few k per kill so far less lucrative than pirate hunting)

Traded (in the new gamma/retail economy, I don't know how to make more than maybe 20k to 30k per run with my current cargo capacity, and that's far more time consuming than killing one pirate who's potentially worth that much)

Missions - each top out around 15 to maybe 20k but again are much more time consuming than just killing a pirate, unless the mission -is- to kill pirates in which case I get the mission purse plus the bounties.

Smuggling - Cargo I get from random points or dropped by pirates I have to go out of my way to sell somewhere where I won't get caught and usually it's not worth as much as killing pirates. (see more below)

Mining - tedious and time consuming, plus I have to give up some of my combat weapon slots to fit a mining laser. With no ability to scan asteroids for composition this is really lame right now. It was worth it when I had a Sidewinder, but not now.

Unidentified signal sources. There are a ton of these, but more than half the time they are a waste of time to investigate. Here's what I've found so far:

• Random cargo. I can pick this up, but then I run the risk of being scanned by security and most of the time what I can sell it for isn't worth my time or effort compared to bounty hunting. Sometimes the cargo is contraband, too, or a special cargo type that you can turn in for mission credit (rare art, rebel tranmissions, military plans, etc) but again those missions are usually only like 10-15k and I can get that from killing one pirate.
  • NPC traders. This sounded cool the first few times I met an NPC ship offering to buy something I had, but when I couldn't figure out how to interact with them I went to reddit and discovered that they haven't implimented that feature yet so it ended up being a waste of time.
  • Pirate traps. I actually haven't seen this since beta which is too bad, but I might see a bunch of gold sitting in space, then when I try to grab some four pirates power up and ambush me.
  • Random mixes of pirates and other ships. I attack the pirates and earn bounty, same thing I do at RES sites. Generally worth the stop if they don't get away.

-Byshop

should ave said 'contains spoilers'

No just kidding seriously, you've done all this since 16 december?

Yeah well, for me this is all pretty new, and your ship is something i can only dream of

Maybe consider wreaking havoc on everyone or something

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wis3boi

now he gets it!

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 darksusperia
Member since 2004 • 6945 Posts

@airshocker said:

Not a whole deal of uncomfort hunting in a anarchy zone. Go bounty hunt for the empire in federal space, or vice versa ;)

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By darksusperia

@Byshop said:

Here's what I have done:

-Byshop

USS RNG mission content needs to go. such a PITA dropping in and out to find the mission objective.

Security services - sir, pick a side, the authority must be dismantled. The corruption must be removed.

Random Cargo - I found platinum, sells for 9K on the blackmarket - sweet 100K easy.

NPC traders - if you are hunting traders, these guys count. Otherwise if you have what they are after in your cargo it will be removed automatically when you are near them.

NPC trader conveys - you must kill them, disrupt the supply lines. The corruption must be removed. Glory of the Empire.

Pirate Traps - Wait, theres traps?

Random mixes - kill them all.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@darksusperia:

"USS RNG mission content needs to go. such a PITA dropping in and out to find the mission objective."

"Security services - sir, pick a side, the authority must be dismantled. The corruption must be removed."

"NPC trader conveys - you must kill them, disrupt the supply lines. The corruption must be removed. Glory of the Empire."

That's fair. If I were a pirate then there would be interaction opportunities for these so they aren't useless.

"Random Cargo - I found platinum, sells for 9K on the blackmarket - sweet 100K easy."

So rare to find something worth my detour. Most of the time it's crap. I might make 1k per unit so a 10-15k detour when I can get the same amount for shooting one pirate.

"Pirate Traps - Wait, theres traps?"

I encountered "honey pots" twice during beta but not since. No idea if they are still in the game but I don't see why they'd cut them. It was always in anarchy systems, specifically lp-98-132.

"Random mixes - kill them all."

I hope to one day find you in-game. I haven't met any players with a bounty high enough for me to attack them.

"NPC traders - if you are hunting traders, these guys count. Otherwise if you have what they are after in your cargo it will be removed automatically when you are near them."

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I read that on reddit, but then I read about 100 replies that say it's completely false and that in-space NPC interactions don't exist yet and I've never gotten it to work.

-Byshop

darksusperia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By darksusperia

@Byshop said:

"NPC traders - if you are hunting traders, these guys count. Otherwise if you have what they are after in your cargo it will be removed automatically when you are near them."

I'm pretty sure that's not true. I read that on reddit, but then I read about 100 replies that say it's completely false and that in-space NPC interactions don't exist yet and I've never gotten it to work.

-Byshop

It is, but you have to be carrying what they want or nothing happens. They just repeat the same comm lines over and over.

If you get the kill traders missions then these guys also count, just like the little haulers that usually have a couple of protectors etc. I only know they count cause I got annoyed with killing a pile of "Traders" and them not counting to the kill count. I let loose on him and he counts.

Unless you are in empire space, you aint finding me :P
Even if you were in the same system, you probably wouldnt see me or I you cause of the stupid instancing.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

@commander: Hahaha, no. I paid into the Premium beta so I've been playing the game in its various incarnations since like May. Gamma started about 3 weeks before retail released so I had a 3 week headstart because there was no wipe of Gamma at launch, plus the amount of time I save by not learning the mechanics starting mid-December.

@darksusperia: Have you actually done it? I've tried it, even with what the trader was looking for and it didn't work and there's no mention of this in the manual. Even if that worked, how do you know what they'll buy it for and if it's worth your while? They don't mention unit price in their initial communication.

Even if this works and I'm wrong, this is just one tiny element amidst the long list of other issues I listed.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Byshop  Moderator

Don't get me wrong. I really like this game. Playing it with my HOTAS set with my gaming cockpit and headtracking (or my Oculus DK2) makes it even more awesome and I haven't stopped playing it, but I also recognize that I may hit a point where I basically lose interest in the grind until after they add more features. I'm not there yet, but I can see myself getting there.

-Byshop

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By commander

@Byshop said:

Don't get me wrong. I really like this game. Playing it with my HOTAS set with my gaming cockpit and headtracking (or my Oculus DK2) makes it even more awesome and I haven't stopped playing it, but I also recognize that I may hit a point where I basically lose interest in the grind until after they add more features. I'm not there yet, but I can see myself getting there.

-Byshop

yeah must be nice having that oculus.

I have bought a joystick as well for this game and I simply love it.

The game is more demanding than I thought though, I bought an r9 280x and I thought it would be overkill, but its just enough to hold me at 60 fps the whole time. The graphics are just sweet , don't understand no dev was building this and it needed a kickstarter campaign to fund it.

Today I'm buying my eagle, i would say can we hang out in the game, but i'll probably get killed the whole time lol

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Byshop  Moderator

@commander said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

The game is more demanding than I thought though, I bought an r9 280x and I thought it would be overkill, but its just enough to hold me at 60 fps the whole time. The graphics are just sweet , don't understand no dev was building this and it needed a kickstarter campaign to fund it.

Today I'm buying my eagle, i would say can we hang out in the game, but i'll probably get killed the whole time lol

Eagles are a good interim ship and pretty cheap. The three weapon mount points and greater agility give them a bit of an edge over a Sidewinder, but their cargo capacity is the same and their jump distance is reduced so make sure you buy on in an area where you don't mind hanging out for a while until you can get a better FSD or newer ship.

The Oculus is a mixed bag in its current version but it's pretty cool. It really makes you feel like you are in the cockpit and even the holographic radar is 3D. The weirdest thing is looking down and seeing the pilot's body/arms/legs and not my own.

-Byshop

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By commander

@Byshop said:

@commander said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

Eagles are a good interim ship and pretty cheap. The three weapon mount points and greater agility give them a bit of an edge over a Sidewinder, but their cargo capacity is the same and their jump distance is reduced so make sure you buy on in an area where you don't mind hanging out for a while until you can get a better FSD or newer ship.

The Oculus is a mixed bag in its current version but it's pretty cool. It really makes you feel like you are in the cockpit and even the holographic radar is 3D. The weirdest thing is looking down and seeing the pilot's body/arms/legs and not my own.

-Byshop

so you think i should hold out on buying an eagle, maybe buy a hauler to make more money and buy something better, but I gotta save up more for that.

I'm getting sick of the trading though, want to go out and fight allthough the hauler could be nice since it can carry so much stuff. I'm thinking of getting pirates in resource site (since you're doing that) with the eagle , i suppose it can hold an extra gun and that would be my missile launcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-579f651eab962

Damn it feels good with a stick.