Elite Dangerous now in Gamma 1.0

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Only a few days after the latest large beta update, Elite Dangerous is now in Gamma 1.0. The gamma is nearly the full version. The "beta bubble" of 550 systems has been lifted and the procedural generated systems can almost all be accessed now. Starting points for new players are random Federation systems in the newly accessible universe. Non-early backers can name their commanders now. Two new ships have been made available. I'm not sure, but I think you can now do multiple profiles now, too.

I'm very excited for the final game.

-Byshop

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Byshop@

Im in agreement with you this game will be around for a long time like star citizen..There two different style space games..Havent had a chance to go fly toward earth yet as i been very busy..Im going to play a little bit today bud..We should fly in wings when it does get released..Be cooling to hang out..

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

This game is just another lost 2014 kick starter to me. will not support kick starter devs who change there minds last month be for release. Once its on there kick starter list of promises they should stick to it especially a month be for release.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@skipper847 said:

This game is just another lost 2014 kick starter to me. will not support kick starter devs who change there minds last month be for release. Once its on there kick starter list of promises they should stick to it especially a month be for release.

The difference between an offline only mode and a single player mode are pretty negligible to most people, and the offline only mode was the only thing they cut. But you you want to boycott it on principle, go right ahead and miss out on a great game.

-Byshop

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@Byshop said:

@skipper847 said:

The difference between an offline only mode and a single player mode are pretty negligible to most people, and the offline only mode was the only thing they cut. But you you want to boycott it on principle, go right ahead and miss out on a great game.

-Byshop

Yeah i was going to get on my high horse and complain about it until i realised that in those 100+ hours opf gameplay i have in elite less than an hour is in singleplayer,so i guess it affects me little.

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@Byshop: The ONLY issue I have with the online only is if my internet goes down.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

@naz99: I actually spent at least half of my 100+ hours in single player mode because in beta I found it to be a lot less buggy. Also, I know a few people who are vehimently anti-multiplayer and for whom an MMO and if they had cut the single player mode I would have been pretty annoyed, but since they didn't cut single player it's a moot point. The only thing they cut was the ability to play with no internet connection, but single player is still intact as a play option.

@klunt_bumskrint: Yeah, that's an annoyance for sure. It bugged me a lot more in games like Diablo 3 and Sim City, where the online-only requirement felt forced. However, in a game with 400 billion explorable star systems I have to wonder how much of that is streamed cloud data. There are people who have a legitimate issue with any online-only game, but since I don't live someplace like India where internet connections charge by the MB it's not really a big deal for me.

-Byshop

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gladestone1

any one having issues jumping into systems after beta 3.0 tried j 10 times wouldnt let me..

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

as much as i wanna buy the game right now, i dont want to because i know i will pour hours into it and then just have to start over at release.

im just going to wait for official launch, or a few days before. game is amazing though. IMO will be a better game than star citizen, and by the time star citizen is released, it will have 3x the content.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

I hopped in yesterday and flew around for a few hours. That galaxy map is much better now, it's very cool looking at the star systems. I seem to have spawned in a new system I've not visited so I've just been cruising around and taking random missions. I'm waiting for release to head to Sol!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

@cyloninside said:

as much as i wanna buy the game right now, i dont want to because i know i will pour hours into it and then just have to start over at release.

im just going to wait for official launch, or a few days before. game is amazing though. IMO will be a better game than star citizen, and by the time star citizen is released, it will have 3x the content.

It's a fair point. I have worked my way up to piloting a Cobra ship with close to a million in weapons, equipment and countermeasures twice already and with the Gamma release I'm back to zero. It is a bit frustrating getting reset so many times has been annoying. Still, it's pretty fun and with the new Gamma release it's very close to the final product. Huge, huge improvements with trading, navigating, etc.

As for SC, I have no idea which will be the better game but I will say that size doesn't automatically equal quality. Every Elder Scrolls game has been progressively smaller than the previous game in the series, but with a lot more thought and detail fleshed out into the content that was provided. I wouldn't say that Arena is better than Skyrim because it's bigger.

-Byshop

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Gladestone1

@Byshop:

They have improved star citizens control greatly..The hotas works well now..Im using my pedals great..Both games will be exceptional..Im only hopeful that elite dangerous..Wont go out of business with the law suit..

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@Gladestone1 said:

@Byshop:

They have improved star citizens control greatly..The hotas works well now..Im using my pedals great..Both games will be exceptional..Im only hopeful that elite dangerous..Wont go out of business with the law suit..

Yeah, I follow both closely. The stick control is night and day different in the last two updates and I've posted a couple of Youtube videos on the subject. I own three ships in SC and I'm debating picking up a fourth. Not for the advantage in the beginning of the game, but just because they are fun to fly in the DFM and there's no way to earn ships in-game right now.

This is my setup:

Saitek X52 Pro and Saitek Combat Pedals, plus a Logitech G13 for extra controls.

-Byshop

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 skipper847

Still not sure to bite the bullet and buy ED?.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cyloninside

@Gladestone1 said:

@Byshop:

law suit? are people really trying to sue over no offline mode? they will never win. it is clearly spelled out in kickstarters terms that companies do not have to honor anything that they say. its the risk of "investing" in an idea.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By skipper847

@cyloninside said:

@Gladestone1 said:

@Byshop:

law suit? are people really trying to sue over no offline mode? they will never win. it is clearly spelled out in kickstarters terms that companies do not have to honor anything that they say. its the risk of "investing" in an idea.

They knew this and used it as bait and a lot of pulled got hooked line and sinker.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyloninside

@skipper847 said:

@cyloninside said:

@Gladestone1 said:

@Byshop:

They knew this and used it as bait and a lot of pulled got hooked line and sinker.

what? frontier did nothing of the sort. offline mode just couldnt work with the way they designed the game. hence why it was cut. if people are mad about that, too damn bad? dont kickstart games then? i dont think what to tell people.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@skipper847 said:

@cyloninside said:

@Gladestone1 said:

@Byshop:

they really shouldn't have waited this long to tell the community this,but after reading the reasons for this i think it makes sense in the long run. This game was never really designed to be played alone

"We have developed a multi-player game with an unfolding story involving the players, and groups collaborating with specific objectives and taking account of all player’s behaviour. This is what the game is about. Without this it would not be the rich gaming experience that we will deliver, and would be a great disappointment to all players.

Any offline experience would be fundamentally empty. We could write a separate mission system to allow a limited series of fixed missions, but that would still not be a compelling game, and is just the first step in the mountain of work that would be required"

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Byshop  Moderator

@lawlessx said:

they really shouldn't have waited this long to tell the community this,but after reading the reasons for this i think it makes sense in the long run. This game was never really designed to be played alone

"We have developed a multi-player game with an unfolding story involving the players, and groups collaborating with specific objectives and taking account of all player’s behaviour. This is what the game is about. Without this it would not be the rich gaming experience that we will deliver, and would be a great disappointment to all players.

Any offline experience would be fundamentally empty. We could write a separate mission system to allow a limited series of fixed missions, but that would still not be a compelling game, and is just the first step in the mountain of work that would be required"

No, you're missing the point. You can play it solo, but the online component supports everything else like the real economy and the missions that get generated. That is still in the game. You can play the game completely alone with NPCs if you want, just not without an internet connection.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Byshop  Moderator

@jimmy_russell: The thing on the left? No, that's just the g13. It's just a mini-keyboard that I use for the space sims to cover functions I don't have room for on the HOTAS. It's small enough that it's easy to memory key placement and I can use it with one hand without being able to see it.

-Byshop

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lawlessx

@Byshop said:

@lawlessx said:

No, you're missing the point. You can play it solo, but the online component supports everything else like the real economy and the missions that get generated. That is still in the game. You can play the game completely alone with NPCs if you want, just not without an internet connection.

-Byshop

yeah i meant that..mean't to go back and edit my post.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skipper847

I am taking the bullet and buying it. Just looks too damn good. I hope they don't close the servers down a year later and update it frequently.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Still waiting for the final product, no rush for me - I like my games finished and polished, I jjust like getting my money's worth.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Byshop  Moderator

@lawlessx said:

No worries, it's just an important distinction because a lot of people who read the headline "online only" will interpret it as "multiplayer only". I can understand people's frustration at not getting exactly what was promised, but the game has 400 billion star systems and a real trade economy filled with NPC ships each doing their own thing. Cramming that into the existing offline component is probably a lot of work, even with procedural generation. The X series did something similar, but in a universe of like 50-100 systems.

As for the game as it stands now, they've already patched it twice since this post (Gamma 1.02). They are very quick with the bugfix releases after a major release.

-Byshop

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cyloninside

@Byshop said:

@lawlessx said:

No worries, it's just an important distinction because a lot of people who read the headline "online only" will interpret it as "multiplayer only". I can understand people's frustration at not getting exactly what was promised, but the game has 400 billion star systems and a real trade economy filled with NPC ships each doing their own thing. Cramming that into the existing offline component is probably a lot of work, even with procedural generation. The X series did something similar, but in a universe of like 50-100 systems.

As for the game as it stands now, they've already patched it twice since this post (Gamma 1.02). They are very quick with the bugfix releases after a major release.

-Byshop

the game will no doubt be supported and have a pretty intense following. i dont think it will have quite as big of a fanbase a star citizen.... but that is just because they arent really advertising the game and showing off like chris roberts seems to think they need to.

my one worry is interdiction. apparently they happen -constantly- due to police pulling you over to scan your cargo. this is a problem, honestly. it breaks up the flow of exploration and ruins the experience if it honestly happens as much as the Lets Play that i watched seems to indicate. you literally cannot fly through a single system without getting interdicted by the cops. i think to counter this, they should introduce a mechanic where maybe if there is a wanted person in the system, the cops are more likely to pull over players flying the same kind of ship... because the cops are looking for that person. this would make sense, and cut down on the number of interdictions.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Byshop  Moderator

@cyloninside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

the game will no doubt be supported and have a pretty intense following. i dont think it will have quite as big of a fanbase a star citizen.... but that is just because they arent really advertising the game and showing off like chris roberts seems to think they need to.

my one worry is interdiction. apparently they happen -constantly- due to police pulling you over to scan your cargo. this is a problem, honestly. it breaks up the flow of exploration and ruins the experience if it honestly happens as much as the Lets Play that i watched seems to indicate. you literally cannot fly through a single system without getting interdicted by the cops. i think to counter this, they should introduce a mechanic where maybe if there is a wanted person in the system, the cops are more likely to pull over players flying the same kind of ship... because the cops are looking for that person. this would make sense, and cut down on the number of interdictions.

I would agree with what you are saying about the advertising. I knew about SC long before I knew about Elite and Elite is obviously a lot further along. Elite was also a lesser known series in the long run when compared to the Wing Commander series (SC's pedigree).

Regarding interdiction, it's hard to say what it'll be like in the final game because even over the several revisions of the game that it's been in (counting from when they added player interdiction) it's changed quite a bit. No, I wouldn't say that you can't get through a system without an interdiction. They do happen, but especially in the Gamma version there are a lot of factors that influence how often they happen. The security level of the system, the population, and after they added player interdictions you can evade them, although after the gamma update you pretty much will never successfully evade while you are in a starter ship. I do get interdicted by security ships, but more often it happens from pirates. Having the AI only interdict wanted ships wouldn't work because it would make smuggling or pirating way too easy.

So I have no idea what it'll be like in the final product, but it's not too bad right now.

-Byshop

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cyloninside

@Byshop said:

@cyloninside said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I would agree with what you are saying about the advertising. I knew about SC long before I knew about Elite and Elite is obviously a lot further along. Elite was also a lesser known series in the long run when compared to the Wing Commander series (SC's pedigree).

Regarding interdiction, it's hard to say what it'll be like in the final game because even over the several revisions of the game that it's been in (counting from when they added player interdiction) it's changed quite a bit. No, I wouldn't say that you can't get through a system without an interdiction. They do happen, but especially in the Gamma version there are a lot of factors that influence how often they happen. The security level of the system, the population, and after they added player interdictions you can evade them, although after the gamma update you pretty much will never successfully evade while you are in a starter ship. I do get interdicted by security ships, but more often it happens from pirates. Having the AI only interdict wanted ships wouldn't work because it would make smuggling or pirating way too easy.

So I have no idea what it'll be like in the final product, but it's not too bad right now.

-Byshop

i didnt say police should only pull over wanted ships.... i said they should pull over the same TYPE of ship as the wanted individual. much in the same way police are going to pull over all blue sedans with california plates if that is what they are looking for. i dont think that would make it easier to pirate... if anything, it would make players aware of the fact that there is a criminal in the system and what they are flying.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By skipper847

Defo buying even on what I said in past about this game. I don't think 1 person going to alter anything so might as well tag along and I been looking forward to it too much. At least the devs done something towards this game I just spent £10 in the bookies in 6 minutes at least this will last longer. :P

Ordering boxed version on Saturday from there site. still annoyed though that it not out on other store websites but hay ho.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@cyloninside said:

i didnt say police should only pull over wanted ships.... i said they should pull over the same TYPE of ship as the wanted individual. much in the same way police are going to pull over all blue sedans with california plates if that is what they are looking for. i dont think that would make it easier to pirate... if anything, it would make players aware of the fact that there is a criminal in the system and what they are flying.

That still doesn't really work. At any given point, there's usually at least one of every ship type wanted in that system just by virtue of sheer population so they'd still be pulling over everyone. Again, though, police interdictions aren't that common in the current version. I put a couple hours of trading into Gamma 1.02 last night and I got interdicted three times, and none of them were by police. It's not the game flow breaking flaw you make it out to be.

-Byshop

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lawlessx

@cyloninside said:

Is there a reason why you feel the need to mention Star citizen when discussing ED? its very possible to enjoy both games and not try to pin one against the other

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cyloninside

@lawlessx said:

@cyloninside said:

Is there a reason why you feel the need to mention Star citizen when discussing ED? its very possible to enjoy both games and not try to pin one against the other

have we really gotten to the point where we are "not allowed" to mention a another game when talking about a different one? i mean really... come on. ridiculous.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lawlessx
@cyloninside said:

@lawlessx said:

@cyloninside said:

have we really gotten to the point where we are "not allowed" to mention a another game when talking about a different one? i mean really... come on. ridiculous.

Of course not. I just notice that you bring SC up in a negative light in every thread you post in discussing Elite dangerous.

@Byshop

can you build shipyards and/or trade stations in ED like in the X series?

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skipper847

Hi. I just tried downloading Download Elite: Dangerous Single Player Combat Training Demo. Didn't look at the it was for the pre order bonus people. since installing that 2 of 4 of my USB stopped working and PC slow down loads. I reset Cmos no luck. then I realized last thing I did was install that so I uninstalled it and everything went fine. seems strange.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

@lawlessx said:

Of course not. I just notice that you bring SC up in a negative light in every thread you post in discussing Elite dangerous.

@Byshop

can you build shipyards and/or trade stations in ED like in the X series?

No, nor will you be able to pilot capitol ships (at least in the initial release) but the game does allow you to own multiple ships at one time.

-Byshop

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

@Byshop said:

@Gladestone1 said:

@Byshop:

Yeah, I follow both closely. The stick control is night and day different in the last two updates and I've posted a couple of Youtube videos on the subject. I own three ships in SC and I'm debating picking up a fourth. Not for the advantage in the beginning of the game, but just because they are fun to fly in the DFM and there's no way to earn ships in-game right now.

This is my setup:

Saitek X52 Pro and Saitek Combat Pedals, plus a Logitech G13 for extra controls.

-Byshop

Yea ... I have a mouse