Elder Scrolls Online new endgame / adventure zone trailer.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

LINK

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

How can normal players like me (or the devs) ever expect to keep up with content when you have idiots that reach max level in less than a week and then start complaining when there isn't end-game?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BSC14

@FelipeInside said:

How can normal players like me (or the devs) ever expect to keep up with content when you have idiots that reach max level in less than a week and then start complaining when there isn't end-game?

That's every MMO. It's not possible for devs to keep up with people. But they will be trying which is good...means there will always be new content.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

That's every MMO. It's not possible for devs to keep up with people. But they will be trying which is good...means there will always be new content.

Sad isn't it? that this new generation of gamers is so impatient and want everything yesterday. I remember back 20 years ago people would take their time with games, not caring if they were close to the finish or not.

Someone needs to bring out an MMO where it takes you literally 6 months to get to max level (playing every day), where if you die you get XP lost and XP penalty for the next day etc. By the time the masses are reaching max level, the dev can have tons of content ready to go.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

I loathe the whole idea of an "end-game" in MMORPGs. It's so ridiculous and contrived. You play one way while you level and then, BAM, once you hit the level cap, the game changes into some inane Skinner Box. Most of the MMORPGs I've liked (Asheron's Call, SWG, City of Heroes) didn't have this cockamamie design. I also really despise the notion that "the game doesn't begin until the end-game." What a load of crap.

The trouble with most modern MMORPGs (other than they're crappy, level based, theme-parks) is that leveling has become way too easy. Then again, if it weren't so easy, the average gamer would whine about "the grind." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside

@-wildflower- said:

@FelipeInside said:

I loathe the whole idea of an "end-game" in MMORPGs. It's so ridiculous and contrived. You play one way while you level and then, BAM, once you hit the level cap, the game changes into some inane Skinner Box. Most of the MMORPGs I've liked (Asheron's Call, SWG, City of Heroes) didn't have this cockamamie design. I also really despise the notion that "the game doesn't begin until the end-game." What a load of crap.

The trouble with most modern MMORPGs (other than they're crappy, level based, theme-parks) is that leveling has become way too easy. Then again, if it weren't so easy, the average gamer would whine about "the grind." Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I agree with the low difficulty these days. I sometimes don't mind it, because I want to advance in the story, but sometimes it's wayyyyyyy too easy and nearly no skill is involved.

The only way I personally raise the difficulty in MMOs these days for myself is to try a class I've never used before. It's fun because you get to play a different way and learn things from scratch.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BSC14

@-wildflower-:

you're not suggesting that mmos shouldn't have some kind of end game though right?

To me it would be crazy to spend years making a game just for a leveling experience. It would be a massive waste in my opinion. Personally I see nothing wrong With Dungeons and raids for end game but it would be nice to see something new for end game as well. ESO's end game seems like a like different spin on what we normally see. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FelipeInside

@BSC14 said:

@-wildflower-:

you're not suggesting that mmos shouldn't have some kind of end game though right?

To me it would be crazy to spend years making a game just for a leveling experience. It would be a massive waste in my opinion. Personally I see nothing wrong With Dungeons and raids for end game but it would be nice to see something new for end game as well. ESO's end game seems like a like different spin on what we normally see. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

Nah, I don't think he's suggesting no end-game, just that the levelling experience should be just as good and hard as the end-game.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Sad isn't it? that this new generation of gamers is so impatient and want everything yesterday. I remember back 20 years ago people would take their time with games, not caring if they were close to the finish or not.

Someone needs to bring out an MMO where it takes you literally 6 months to get to max level (playing every day), where if you die you get XP lost and XP penalty for the next day etc. By the time the masses are reaching max level, the dev can have tons of content ready to go.

Power leveling is something that has always been around in MMO's and will always be around. You can blame the "new generation" and call them names all you want or you can just accept people play games differently then you and enjoy the game how you want.

Back on topic though the new group content looks cool for ESO. It will be a nice balance to the PvP content already in the game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FelipeInside

@Croag821 said:
@FelipeInside said:

@BSC14 said:

@FelipeInside said:

Power leveling is something that has always been around in MMO's and will always be around. You can blame the "new generation" and call them names all you want or you can just accept people play games differently then you and enjoy the game how you want.

Back on topic though the new group content looks cool for ESO. It will be a nice balance to the PvP content already in the game.

How the hell do people enjoy a game where they get to max level in less than a week?

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

i dont see how people max level so quickly.. ive been playing alot since saturday and im only level 13. the content does look awesome though

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I never figured out how people can just do that..... Even if I loved the game, so much and took vacation for it. I would not be able to play like that....

The PVP looks great in this game and would be plenty of end game until they start rolling out the content.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BSC14

@Arthas045 said:

I never figured out how people can just do that..... Even if I loved the game, so much and took vacation for it. I would not be able to play like that....

The PVP looks great in this game and would be plenty of end game until they start rolling out the content.

I agree....some sit for 8 hours at a time. I can't do that.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@Arthas045 said:

I agree....some sit for 8 hours at a time. I can't do that.

So how does the game work for extra content besides questing. Are there dungeons or instances to complete with friends? When does the PVP get interesting/rewarding.

Author_Jerry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Author_Jerry
Member since 2006 • 568 Posts

@Arthas045 said:

This reminds me of GSC 2013, when Bioware admitted they greatly underestimated the time a typical MMO player goes through content.

We had expected our playerbase to play through the game and get to the endgame, on average, in about three to four months, maybe five months. It was 170-180 hours of content. But our metrics were showing us that, on average, for the millions of people playing our game, they were going through the game at a rate of 40 hours a week.

Credit PCGamer

The fault doesn't lie in the developers for not producing enough content; it's the MMO player-base that spends an inordinate amount of time breezing through the game to get to max level and then wondering what else is there left to do. In my opinion, that's the inherent flaw with MMOs designed as theme parks. You get whisked along a set path, with little in the way of challenge, completing innumerable quests that are as generic and forgettable as they come, to reach content in the game that may finally pose a challenge. Is it any wonder players so often ask what end-game an MMO has? When the business model depends on people playing the game every month indefinitely (or at least paying for a subscription), end-game content is all that will be left after so long. I'm surprised publishers still find that this is a viable business model to work with. At least Zenimax is trying to break out of that mold somewhat.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BSC14

@Arthas045:

I'm not at max level yet but yes they have dungeons and raids they call adventure zones.

Adventure zones are just that big ass zones with elite mobs and bosses and quest. Guess it's a raid zone.... Can't say about PvP I'm not up to date on that.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

That's precisely why I prefer the endgame in MMORPG's to be more PvP and sandbox oriented. Players are perfectly capable of creating their own fun given the right circumstances. You can only do so many dungeons before it starts to feel like filler, no? Then again, to some people, the majority of MMORPG gameplay is filler. My whole problem with PvE progression is that it's a time sink. Simple as that. Whoever has the least amount of things going on in their real life wins PvE MMORPGs. When going into the realm of PvP, we begin to deal more with skill-based progression rather than time-sink progression.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

That's precisely why I prefer the endgame in MMORPG's to be more PvP and sandbox oriented. Players are perfectly capable of creating their own fun given the right circumstances. You can only do so many dungeons before it starts to feel like filler, no? Then again, to some people, the majority of MMORPG gameplay is filler. My whole problem with PvE progression is that it's a time sink. Simple as that. Whoever has the least amount of things going on in their real life wins PvE MMORPGs. When going into the realm of PvP, we begin to deal more with skill-based progression rather than time-sink progression.

PvP is time sink as well, because it's based on gear.... whoever has spent more time in PvP to get better gear will kill other players with lower gear, that's why I tend to stay away from PvP in MMOs. Only PvP I play are thing like COD, Battlefield, FIFA where the gear of each player is very similar most of the time and it depends more on reaction and skill.

PvE end-game can be done properly without falling into time-sink and repetition. The developer just needs to push out the content. SWTOR is doing a pretty good job at it, with flashpoints that extend the story of your character so you always feel like something new is happening. Problem is it all comes back to how gamers play and the speed of progression. People finish these things or reach max level before the dev has a chance to make more content..... they need to slow that down.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@FelipeInside said:

PvP is time sink as well, because it's based on gear.... whoever has spent more time in PvP to get better gear will kill other players with lower gear, that's why I tend to stay away from PvP in MMOs. Only PvP I play are thing like COD, Battlefield, FIFA where the gear of each player is very similar most of the time and it depends more on reaction and skill.

PvP in end-game would be done where max-level players who've been playing a long time are only slightly better than other max-level players. You're thinking of PvP in a PvE progression mindset, which isn't how PvP in endgame would be done. Think Battlefield. It's no different than the new Battlefield games, where players who put more time in get better gear than those who haven't put as much time in, but it's not enough to tip the balance hugely in their favor.