DotA 2 vs LoL - Educated comparison

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

There have been several articles describing how a player of LoL feels once he enters into DotA 2 lately. The problem is those articles were written by people that didn't actually get into DotA 2 and they basically had no idea what they are talking about.

On the other hand, there are a lot of elitist statements by DotA veterans that act like douchebags calling LoL causal, kiddy, etc.

I played both of these games a LOT and I want to try to compare them without any prejudice and without stating which one of them is better.

1. Accessibility

Lets get this out of the way, the answer is known by most ppl anyway: LoL is more accessible than DotA 2. Dying is less punishing because you don't lose that much gold and even if you get owned two or three times during the laning phase you still won't be that much behind. If you get killed or are forced to run back to your base two or three times during the laning phase in DotA you are several levels and a lot of gold behind and it will be very tough for you to get back into the game. Also LoL has nice tutorials on everything, even video tutorials for every skill, etc. That is what makes it a lot more accessible.

2. Difficulty

Difficulty of both games depends on the skills of your opponents. DotA 2 is a bit tougher to get into, but that is a matter of accessibility, not a matter of difficulty.

3. Hero Design

I don?t aim to measure the artistic stylization of hero design, because its a matter of personal preference. I personally like both ways I like the wild colorful comics style of LoL just as much as I like the darker, more fairy tale-like approach of DotA 2. I want to focus more on character development, variability, etc.

3.1 Character variability

This is where DotA 2 kicks in. Despite having less characters than LoL, the roster actually gives you more options. Every single hero in DotA 2 is highly specialized in certain ways and lacking in others and each one has very unique play style. LoL has its greats too, but many of LoL champions feel a bit generic compared to the distinguished personality of DotA 2 heroes (I mean personality through skills and in gameplay).

3.2 Character development (through levels and items)

In both games, characters gain power through levels and through items. Level cap of champions in LoL is 18 and level cap of heroes in DotA 2 is 25. After the level cap is reached both games have their characters fully developed (i.e. you can?t have the same max level character with different skills). Level cap is a bit higher in DotA 2 not only by the numbers, it actually takes longer to reach it in-game. Thats why many DotA 2 players feel like they were stopped from growing just when they started to be a bit ahead of their enemies. Its also less punishing if you stay a few levels behind in LoL, because you will equate your opponents sooner thanks to the lower cap.

In terms of items, the difference is even bigger. It is almost impossible to max out on items in DotA 2 (i.e. get into a situation when you have plenty of gold and no idea what to buy to make your char better), while its quite common in LoL.

Its a tough call whether the overall lower power cap of characters in LoL is a bad thing. It allows for some nice comebacks of a team that slipped behind earlier in the game. On the other hand once your Sven is level 22 with BKB and Satanic in inventory and enemies are stuck around 18 struggling to gather their core items in DotA, you feel like a real badass.

4. Skills

Both games are heavily based on using hero skills. Some skills are very similar (like Amumus or Urgots ultimates vs Treants and Vengeful Spirits ultimates). Im not going to argue about who copies who. Its pointless and although all those skills were first used in DotA, some of them were designed by Guinsoo who later just used his own ideas again in LoL.

Its a matter of fact that overall skills are bigger in DotA 2. They cost more mana, have longer range, more damage, longer stuns or silence effects, etc. There are things like perma invisibility, 5sec. stuns, etc. Therefore it is more important to use them right. Missed a fissure? You are out of mana and will be for some time unless you buy some mana regen items or go back to your base!

On the other hand, it is more satisfying to score a kill in DotA 2, because not only it matters more (kills make more difference in DotA 2 than in LoL), but it also comes with a bigger bang!

5. Map

On first sight both maps look basically the same (which is also what most anonymous LoL players say about them because they never seriously played DotA 2), but in a closer look, there is a lot of difference.

First of all, the top lane is vastly different from the bottom lane in DotA 2. Each side has one lane, that allows pulling of creeps to neutral camps (gaining more XP by killing neutral camps early and denying some XP to your opponent because the neutrals kill some of your creeps in the process), but it is also much easier to gank this lane (where a jungler usually is if the team decides to have one).

What I love about LoL map is that it contains neutral camps with various bonuses. Timing respawn of those camps adds great dynamic to the game and forces shodowns. DotA basically only has Roshan and it is not that crucial to kill him as soon as he spawns.

There are also some other differences between the maps like high grass vs high grounds that prevent vision, etc., but those are minor in my opinion.

Its also worth to mention the fact that LoL has a 3v3 map Twisted Treeline, which is great if you only have two friends to play with currently online. I personally only play TT in LoL lately, because when Im alone or if we are five, I go for DotA 2.

6. Conclusion

Both games are great at what they are doing.

LoL is more accessible, while DotA 2 is more punishing, but also more rewarding. LoL is easier to learn, DotA 2 is a deeper and more complex experience.

If you want just to have fun and relax in a game of this genre, go for LoL, you will have tons of fun. If you have group of 5 people with similar mindset - thats even better, you're gonna have even more fun!

If you want a game that you need to put a lot of effort into to really master, if you have 4 reliable friends to make a team with and if you want to be rewarded for your hard work by real excitement of well deserved victory, go for DotA 2. It will take you on a journey through hell, you will be owned hard by teams that play tighter, gank better, and every little mistake will cost you the game. But beating the other team, punishing their own mistakes and breaking through their base will be huge satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment!

spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

I agree with most of what you said. I like Dota 2 more though despite only playing in pugs. It's simply the better package. I have 100+ hours played Dota 2 and probably 5 times that in LoL.

If someone plays LoL and haven't got access to Dota 2 yet but want to know the differences apart from visuals, here is a nice topic about it.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

I agree with most of what you said. I like Dota 2 more though despite only playing in pugs. It's simply the better package. I have 100+ hours played Dota 2 and probably 5 times that in LoL.

If someone plays LoL and haven't got access to Dota 2 yet but want to know the differences apart from visuals, here is a nice topic about it.

spittis

I have about 75 hours in DotA 2 and I feel like I havent even started :-) (OFC I got tons of time in the original DotA and in LoL too). I must say I too think DotA 2 is overall the better game, I just wanted to keep the OP as objective as possible.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Dota also has more depth laning wise because of the deny mechanics.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

Now that it's been announced Dota 2 will be free to play, I don't see any reason to stick with LoL. Perhaps the LoL team will make their heroes unlocked for everyone after this.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

You forgot to mention about denys. Creep and tower denies can play a huge role in a game. You conveniently forgot to mention how the vast majority of items in LoL are flat stat boosters, while the vast majority of items in DotA have some sort of active ability you need to use on the right time. You forgot to mention DotA's double damage/haste/regen/illusion buffs that spawn on the river. You forgot to mention that you can play DotA right now, while you need to grind 300 games to unlock runes and heroes in order to be able to stand a chance at LoL. You forgot to mention Flash. You forgot to mention that ganking is not worth it in LoL compared to farming. You forgot to mention that LoL has static FoG while DotA has dynamic FoG and you can do alot of cool stuff with it (abusing high ground and trees etc). You forgot to mention how LoL releases an overpowered hero every 2 weeks, everyone buys him because he's so overpowered, then they nerf him to non-existence. You forgot to mention that DotA 2 isn't even complete yet (still in beta, many heroes missing).

I propably forgot to mention alot of things. But let me give you a hint. Any 'fair' comparisson between DotA and LoL is biased towards LoL. Because, simply, there is no excuse, DotA 2 is the far better game.

tnguye3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 tnguye3
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts

You forgot to mention about denys. Creep and tower denies can play a huge role in a game. You conveniently forgot to mention how the vast majority of items in LoL are flat stat boosters, while the vast majority of items in DotA have some sort of active ability you need to use on the right time. You forgot to mention DotA's double damage/haste/regen/illusion buffs that spawn on the river. You forgot to mention that you can play DotA right now, while you need to grind 300 games to unlock runes and heroes in order to be able to stand a chance at LoL. You forgot to mention Flash. You forgot to mention that ganking is not worth it in LoL compared to farming. You forgot to mention that LoL has static FoG while DotA has dynamic FoG and you can do alot of cool stuff with it (abusing high ground and trees etc). You forgot to mention how LoL releases an overpowered hero every 2 weeks, everyone buys him because he's so overpowered, then they nerf him to non-existence. You forgot to mention that DotA 2 isn't even complete yet (still in beta, many heroes missing).

I propably forgot to mention alot of things. But let me give you a hint. Any 'fair' comparisson between DotA and LoL is biased towards LoL. Because, simply, there is no excuse, DotA 2 is the far better game.

QQabitmoar

I agree with most of your points above. Although I wouldn't say DoTA is a far better game. Both games are directed towards different audiences, and while LoL does seem to be more forgiving and casual friendly, DoTA is deeper and I'd say more competitive. Both have a different focus but have the Moba genre in common. I do prefer DoTA nonetheless, but saying DoTA is better is wrong.

also OP you forgot to mention that the Map in DoTA is bigger. Runes are equivalent to buffs. Also creep camps can be used to pull creep waves giving you and edge on the lane. There's also creep blocking, denying which makes Early game so much more important. And Rune control for early ganks which pretty much decides the game. Vision is dynamic and changes depending day/night and the things you state as "minor" actually play a big role in juking and counter ganks/ganking. That small "minor" difference can decide between life and death.

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
I agree with what you said except for one thing: LoL can be tough and quite serious at times. Try playing with a ranked team and you'll know what I mean.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Educated? people that play LoL aren't educated, they're just noobs and kids, just a bunch of casuals...is what I expected somebody like QQ to say :P, but yes I agree with pretty much everything you said, that kids part is no sarcasm tho, LoL's community is mostly formed of kids that have no idea what they're doing, but they have extreme attitudes, just as bad as Dota elitists (the kind that suck, but think they got skills).
ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Educated? people that play LoL aren't educated, they're just noobs and kids, just a bunch of casuals...is what I expected somebody like QQ to say :P, but yes I agree with pretty much everything you said, that kids part is no sarcasm tho, LoL's community is mostly formed of kids that have no idea what they're doing, but they have extreme attitudes, just as bad as Dota elitists (the kind that suck, but think they got skills).DanielDust
Nah, the LoL players aren't kids. They're adults and teens with the maturity of kids. ;)
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Educated? people that play LoL aren't educated, they're just noobs and kids, just a bunch of casuals...is what I expected somebody like QQ to say :P, but yes I agree with pretty much everything you said, that kids part is no sarcasm tho, LoL's community is mostly formed of kids that have no idea what they're doing, but they have extreme attitudes, just as bad as Dota elitists (the kind that suck, but think they got skills).ShadowsDemon
Nah, the LoL players aren't kids. They're adults and teens with the maturity of kids. ;)

There are lots of 10-14 year old kids in the LoL community, but sure, there're also adults that act like kids.
Hokonoko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hokonoko
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
If i may, I would like to add something to what has been said. It is my personal opinion that you cannot directly compare Dota and LoL. I say this because they are fundamentally different games. Certainly they have similarities, i mean just the fact that the following things are in both games can lead people to try and compare them: -Map -Item Shop -Lanes -Heros -Victory Conditions -Towers But the thing that makes LoL Unique from Dota and vice versa is that stat system. The truth of it is that if you took a late game intelligence hero from Dota and pitted them up against a late game LoL hero(like say for example, Viegar), it would not be pretty for the Dota Player. But at the same time, if you took a late game Agility and sometimes strength Hero from Dota and pitted them up against a late game LoL hero, who knows what would happen. Anyway my point is not to start a discussion of what heroes would win if they fought, my point is that Heroes in Dota and Heroes in LoL cannot be compared fairly because they serve in different roles. Many times the role of Intelligence heroes in Dota can be purely utility. In LoL there is no such thing as a pure utility character, Riot wanted to change the game so that everyone could do damage, so they did and it is not the same. So many of you have heard that Dota is really really imbalanced, and when you compare game play directly it certainly seems like it, and to be honest, it may well be imbalanced. But probably not in the ways you might think. But if you take a look at where these comments are coming from, it can be very revealing. The observation I have made is that the majority of the "Imbalanced" complaints are coming from LoL players trying out Dota. But for players that have played Dota first then LoL, then have come back to Dota 2 do not generally say that Dota is imbalanced. They don't think it because they know that there are roles to play in a Dota team that do not and cannot exist in a LoL team. You cannot compare Strength, Agility, and Intelligence to Attack Damage and Ability Power. But most people do, most people come into Dota trying to play Intelligence heroes like they might play Ability Power Heros and it does not work. They loose and get frustrated and complain that the game is imbalanced. As a final note, I will provide an example. I love Batrider and Puck, they are my best characters in Dota. While in LoL my favorite is Volibear. Notice that out of the blue I like a tank like Volibear. This is because if I had to "try" to compare character types in the games I would say that the closest thing to a Intelligence hero that LoL has are Tanks. If anyone has played Batrider, they know that he isnt really a high damage player, he is that guy that waits for Ursa to plunge and then when the enemy team thinks they have an advantage, he drags Ursa off into the sunset leaving the enemy team without one of their most important players. That, my friends, is called....UTILITY! And I think that it is a beautiful thing. Anyway, I hope that this has helped someone out there understand what I think is the biggest difference between the two games and why I think it is just foolish to compare them. They are both great games and I don't think that you can really say that one is better than the other(again, because as much as they have in common, they are very different games). I think you can say that you think one can be more enjoyable to play. My preference is Dota.
tiffin027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tiffin027
In LOL, The spacing between the towers is also alot closer. You can get hit by 2 towers at once in lol on the bottom lane and in Dota2 they are extremely far apart. In LOL, you can teleport back to base anytime you want for free as well, while in dota2, you have to buy either boots of travel (2500 gold) or multiple scrolls of teleportation (145 per). In LOL, the towers also seem to do alot more damage making them a far bigger threat, but in dota 2, they still do alot of damage, but can only be killed if there are creeps near by. (try attacking a tower alone whatever level you want it automatically regenerates whatever health you took away from it, but as soon as a creep comes near you it stops regenerating.) I personally see LOL being the baby sister of DOTA2 making DOTA2 the more mature version. DOTA2 is for the experienced serious players who want a challenge. I played LOL for 2 years and then when DOTA2 came out started playin that with all my friends, i have 195 hours on DOTA 2 and way more on LOL. Coming from a player with some experience in both areas. But all in all, i would still play LOL over HON anyday. I personally feel as if HON is a fail compared to the others, but i only played like 10 hours of it lol so i cant really bash it.
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

They're similar games, ultimately focusing on different goals.

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

My educated comparison for lol vs dota is that if your not asian your wasting your time. I have a BCOMM, come on me brosephskis

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

in summary, they are playing the same game but different names.

enemyofbigots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 enemyofbigots
Dota 2 has packages over $20 for sale. Have fun getting raped by rich guys.
enemyofbigots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 enemyofbigots
"3.1 Character variability This is where DotA 2 kicks in. Despite having less characters than LoL, the roster actually gives you more options. Every single hero in DotA 2 is highly specialized in certain ways and lacking in others and each one has very unique play style. LoL has its greats too, but many of LoL champions feel a bit generic compared to the distinguished personality of DotA 2 heroes (I mean personality through skills and in gameplay)." Many of the LoL characters have 2-3 or more viable builds. They fulfill multiple roles, and even if less viable are still tons of fun to play.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DanielDust
Dota 2 has packages over $20 for sale. Have fun getting raped by rich guys.enemyofbigots
Have fun not being able to read or comprehend letters in this life, I know you aren't having fun in the extremely unbalanced LoL.
enemyofbigots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enemyofbigots

QQabitmoar
Denies. The exclusion of them also lends to strategy. It changes the meta in a way many prefer, simple as that. LoL active abilities vs Dota actives. LoL still has quite a few, plus they make up for it with the summoner spells and several transforming champions. Yeah, Dota is more like Quake or Halo with the middle-of-map power ups. Their exclusion also lends to strategy and meta. You don't need to grind 300 games to stand a chance at LoL. Nonsense, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time at it. Hundreds of thousands of win at very high ratios without playing even 100 games. You are demonstrably wrong about that... just could not be more wrong. Ganking is strategically worth it... I won't go into depth about all the strategies involved, but I'm getting the feeling you haven't played much if any LoL based on the noobish nonsense you're spouting. The fog sounds cool. You're right about the hero releases. Might be a cheap tactic for money, somewhat similar to Dota2's RMIH Real Money Item House. Why are there items in the Dota2 store that cost 20, 30, 35, up to $60? And with Steam, good luck ever getting a refund. And watch out if they have a glitch in their system and mistakenly think you were cheating, and delete your account. It happens.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

enemyofbigots
Denies. The exclusion of them also lends to strategy. It changes the meta in a way many prefer, simple as that. LoL active abilities vs Dota actives. LoL still has quite a few, plus they make up for it with the summoner spells and several transforming champions. Yeah, Dota is more like Quake or Halo with the middle-of-map power ups. Their exclusion also lends to strategy and meta. You don't need to grind 300 games to stand a chance at LoL. Nonsense, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time at it. Hundreds of thousands of win at very high ratios without playing even 100 games. You are demonstrably wrong about that... just could not be more wrong. Ganking is strategically worth it... I won't go into depth about all the strategies involved, but I'm getting the feeling you haven't played much if any LoL based on the noobish nonsense you're spouting. The fog sounds cool. You're right about the hero releases. Might be a cheap tactic for money, somewhat similar to Dota2's RMIH Real Money Item House. Why are there items in the Dota2 store that cost 20, 30, 35, up to $60? And with Steam, good luck ever getting a refund. And watch out if they have a glitch in their system and mistakenly think you were cheating, and delete your account. It happens.

What are you talking about? You realize every single item in DoTA2's store is purely aesthetic? where you can pay to boost your summoner profile experiences gain which in turn DOES give you power/choice advantages over others?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DanielDust
[QUOTE="enemyofbigots"][QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

MBirdy88

What are you talking about? You realize every single item in DoTA2's store is purely aesthetic? where you can pay to boost your summoner profile experiences gain which in turn DOES give you power/choice advantages over others?

Just a delusional fan trying to pass another game as being unbalanced when in fact the game he's trying to defend is what he's complaining about.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts

In LOL, The spacing between the towers is also alot closer. You can get hit by 2 towers at once in lol on the bottom lane and in Dota2 they are extremely far apart. In LOL, you can teleport back to base anytime you want for free as well, while in dota2, you have to buy either boots of travel (2500 gold) or multiple scrolls of teleportation (145 per). In LOL, the towers also seem to do alot more damage making them a far bigger threat, but in dota 2, they still do alot of damage, but can only be killed if there are creeps near by. (try attacking a tower alone whatever level you want it automatically regenerates whatever health you took away from it, but as soon as a creep comes near you it stops regenerating.) I personally see LOL being the baby sister of DOTA2 making DOTA2 the more mature version. DOTA2 is for the experienced serious players who want a challenge. I played LOL for 2 years and then when DOTA2 came out started playin that with all my friends, i have 195 hours on DOTA 2 and way more on LOL. Coming from a player with some experience in both areas. But all in all, i would still play LOL over HON anyday. I personally feel as if HON is a fail compared to the others, but i only played like 10 hours of it lol so i cant really bash it.tiffin027

I'm sorry but I disagree about this. You cannot get hit by the two bottom lane turrets at the same time, this can only occur in the mid lane since it is the shortest lane in the game. The recall is free yes, but it is not without risk, recalling without properly assessing the situation may give away game objectives to the enemy team such as a turret or a dragon (Which gives the enemy team alot of gold). Recalling can also make you fall behind in experience and farm, which can contribute to the loss of your lane. If you attack a turret in LoL without minions nearby, they will have their defences greatly buffed.

The turrets only do a significant amount of damage in the early-mid game, in the late game every player should be tanky enough to sustain plenty of turret hits. And there is plenty of strategy to LoL, especially in the upper ELO of ranked play.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]Educated? people that play LoL aren't educated, they're just noobs and kids, just a bunch of casuals...is what I expected somebody like QQ to say :P, but yes I agree with pretty much everything you said, that kids part is no sarcasm tho, LoL's community is mostly formed of kids that have no idea what they're doing, but they have extreme attitudes, just as bad as Dota elitists (the kind that suck, but think they got skills).DanielDust
Nah, the MOBA players aren't kids. They're adults and teens with the maturity of kids. ;)

There are lots of 10-14 year old kids in the LoL community, but sure, there're also adults that act like kids.

Fixed.. Don't try to act like this is some how "unique" with LOL.. MOBA's have some of the WORSE COMMUNITIES out there in maturity, elitism, to just flat out being complete asses and trolling..

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

enemyofbigots

Lol, you really think that those items actually affect gameplay? Go look up what you're talking about before you embarrass yourself. And yeah, in League you kind of do need to grind out a few hundred games to get runes, rune pages, and a decent champion pool to stand a chance in ranked.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"] Nah, the MOBA players aren't kids. They're adults and teens with the maturity of kids. ;) sSubZerOo

Fixed.. Don't try to act like this is some how "unique" with LOL.. MOBA's have some of the WORSE COMMUNITIES out there in maturity, elitism, to just flat out being complete asses and trolling..

Do you read things you quote? you'll notice something like "MOBAs have bad communities", but don't try to invent some bad lies, it's a known fact that LoL has a very large part of its community represented by kids, the 2nd part about adults acting like kids, if you think about it, was directed at MOBAs in general.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] There are lots of 10-14 year old kids in the LoL community, but sure, there're also adults that act like kids.DanielDust

Do you read things you quote? you'll notice something like "MOBAs have bad communities", but don't try to invent some bad lies, it's a known fact that LoL has a very large part of its community represented by kids, the 2nd part about adults acting like kids, if you think about it, was directed at MOBAs in general.

Lie about what? I specifically pointed out that this is basically a problem with EVERY MOBA out there including LoL.. Since the days of DOTA1 this has been a problem, and its probably one of the main reasons why a person would be turned off from the genre..

Code135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Code135
Member since 2005 • 892 Posts

This comparison reminds me of a IEM a while ago ... dota2 team goes to the LoL tournament - gives world record for fastest game in the pro scene - loses 11 minutes 50 seconds ... yes, the two games are highly comparable in terms of everything ...

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DanielDust

[QUOTE="DanielDust"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

Lie about what? I specifically pointed out that this is basically a problem with EVERY MOBA out there including LoL.. Since the days of DOTA1 this has been a problem, and its probably one of the main reasons why a person would be turned off from the genre..

Unlike my post, your post looks to be entirely directed at "LoL's community is full of kids" and how that is not a "feature" - that is what you'd be lying about as your post(s) show -. Do better quotes next time or accept that you had absolutely no motive to post your random comment that first included a sentence you didn't understand in this context.

You're trying to argue something that can't be argued since it doesn't exist.

MaxwellEvans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MaxwellEvans
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
In LOL, The spacing between the towers is also alot closer. You can get hit by 2 towers at once in lol on the bottom lane and in Dota2 they are extremely far apart. In LOL, you can teleport back to base anytime you want for free as well, while in dota2, you have to buy either boots of travel (2500 gold) or multiple scrolls of teleportation (145 per). In LOL, the towers also seem to do alot more damage making them a far bigger threat, but in dota 2, they still do alot of damage, but can only be killed if there are creeps near by. (try attacking a tower alone whatever level you want it automatically regenerates whatever health you took away from it, but as soon as a creep comes near you it stops regenerating.) I personally see LOL being the baby sister of DOTA2 making DOTA2 the more mature version. DOTA2 is for the experienced serious players who want a challenge. I played LOL for 2 years and then when DOTA2 came out started playin that with all my friends, i have 195 hours on DOTA 2 and way more on LOL. Coming from a player with some experience in both areas. But all in all, i would still play LOL over HON anyday. I personally feel as if HON is a fail compared to the others, but i only played like 10 hours of it lol so i cant really bash it.tiffin027
I've been trying DOTA2 out lately... I played original DOTA and way more LoL than I'd like to admit. DOTA2 feels like DOTA1 with better graphics. People often point to the towers and to denying as reasons why DOTA2 is "harder" I feel it must be pointed out that the ability to deny in LoL, and towers that are immune to back-dooring, would actually make LoL considerably easier. I'm not saying this would be true for DOTA2 necessarily... very different game, much larger map... lots of running around alone... But in LoL, the inability to deny means a clever opponent will get you to 'push' your wave too early in the game (or at specific times, if their jungler is approaching). You are faced with a choice. You either go fight on unsafe ground (and likely die) or back off and lose the xp/gold (and by consequence, the lane). DOTA2 is more complex than LoL, but the gameplay is much slower, much safer, precisely because you can easily freeze a lane, you don't have to worry about back-dooring, and all the myriad exits from a given situation make it much harder to be ganked. My first game in DOTA2 I was 1v2 in a lane with a melee assassin clearly unsuited to the role, and it really just wasn't that hard not to die, all things considered. I haven't played DOTA2 much, I admit, but as of yet I do prefer the faster, grittier choices of LoL. Things I miss in DOTA2 from LoL: 1. bush juking 2. Jungle buffs 3. denying makes lane-freezing and last-hitting much too easy. 4. back-dooring 5. the possibility of recovering from a bad game through cleverness, skill or a lucky blind ashe-arrow into the baron pit. 6. frankly, having 57 different types of 'health potion' is not, in fact, an improvement in game mechanics. I have not, incidentally, found champion/hero dynamics in DOTA2 significantly more interesting than those in LoL. They are different, yes, but that's largely because they're balanced towards creating a different experience. I do like the grittier feel and the way line of sight works. I like the higher item cap (though I suspect this contributes to making it hard to recover), but found that leveling was actually faster in DOTA2 than in LoL. Seemed like I almost never had no points to distribute at any given time, and sometimes the levels came so fast I ended up with two of them. I do like the prevalence of active abilities, but it will eventually make the game cripplingly difficult to balance. I'm with the crowd that thinks "better" and "worse" are silly terms for two games that are, in a word, "different." Frankly, I plan to play both, as I suspect most people will. A change of pace is nice in either direction.
maythestate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 maythestate
I have deleted what I was going to say ALOT of times and even though it may sound like douchebaggery or the like. I have over 3000 games locked on league of legends. I feel like they have abandoned their older dedicated community onto new horizons which in my opinion isn't a bad business move but instead makes their game less appealing to the people who do not want to play THE BIGGEST GAME but instead play the best game. League has a bigger community because it appeals to the bigger populace of gamers. We are all not "hardcore" I use that term loosely gamers anymore. It is such a big thing basically every household in the world has some sort of gaming device be it your cellphone, laptop, xbox , PC.... and those people bought them for THEIR entertainment. ALOT of people enjoy playing the biggest thing, especially if that thing appeals to people who want to feel like they are gaining skill fast and earning things (take CoD) for example. Dota 2 you earn items and chests but that's not the big things like champions and runes. An average person would look at the fact that dota has all the characters unlocked from the start as a given and then look at league and say "Oh I so badly want to unlock (______) I need to play some more" or " **** THIS WHEN I GET MY RUNES I WILL WHOOP ASS" instead of being "You know what, Why in the hell am I spending so much time to unlock a character for a game that is supposed to be based upon my skill instead of gimmicks like runes and the more OP champions." , They would look at dota and go "WTF WHY DID YOU KILL ME" When if you did deny a teammate that means they were not going to get away or say "That is some serious **** that they can kill my gold and stop me" when it adds a new mechanic to the gameplay, "WHY THE **** DO I HAVE TO WALK BACK TO BASE THIS IS SO ****ING SLOW AND ****" because they were the ones who wasted their health and mana or are even denying the existence of their courier because they don't want to learn how to use it. (I seriously know people who won't use the courier...) LOL gives people the chance to look and say "It wasn't my fault I just needs this new better thing" instead of realizing they need to improve because in Dota all the things are already at your disposal. It also gives them the oppurtinity to play multiple characters and feel versatile even though those characters are basically the same. League's gimmick limits itself. Take for example Rage and no mana and energy characters. There can be no item in the game because of those characters that requires you to use up your energy to use them because then not everyone can use them also limiting the strength an item can have because you can't have a severly strong ability on an item that not everyone can use. Once I personally realized all the little things that league does to get people to keep playing instea dof improving that game that was what made me think Dota 2 is better FOR ME.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

I enjoy Dota 2 a lot more than LoL but that's not to say that LoL is bad. This gameis just more satisfying to play and I had an easier time getting into it because all the characters are unlocked from the get go. The community is also much better in Dota 2, in the 20 or so hours I've put into Dota 2 I've only encountered a handfull of mlg tryhards while they seem to be everywhere in LoL.

Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Riot needs to steal Necrolyte please. It'd be nice if they catered to supports more. Sightstone, GP10, boots, and a couple auras is quite awful.

shaharpazpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 shaharpazpaz
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

enemyofbigots

difference is, the items in the DotA2 RMIH have no effect on the game. pure cosmetics. You don't wanna buy them? don't. I never bought one, not planning to either. has no effect on my game

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I just don't understand what people see in MOBAs that makes them enjoyable. I've been playing quite a bit of LoL lately, and I honestly just can't figure it out. The gameplay just feels incredibly repetitive and most of the game is spent killing minions and either running away from enemy champions or chasing after them. The game just feels like one long drawn out game of tug of war. I guess the genre just is not for me.

jessemoral3s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jessemoral3s
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I think that everyone is forgetting that this is someone's FIRST IMPRESSION, which means he hasn't looked heavily into it. The person obviously is just giving an honest opinion on something he has barely tried.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
From my experience with both games are good. LoL is more teambased, and Dota is slightly more individual based. Its far more possible to carry a team on your own in Dota than it is on LoL. LoL also gives your team more of a chance to come back, whereas in Dota you are punished more by dying. IMO, since Dota is more individual based pro-gamers prefer it. Fits more in line with other MLG games.
Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Iantheone

I just don't understand what people see in MOBAs that makes them enjoyable. I've been playing quite a bit of LoL lately, and I honestly just can't figure it out. The gameplay just feels incredibly repetitive and most of the game is spent killing minions and either running away from enemy champions or chasing after them. The game just feels like one long drawn out game of tug of war. I guess the genre just is not for me.

Vari3ty
Thats how it is at the beginning. Once you start getting friends/teams going things get interesting. If you dont like farming, play an aggressive early jungler or support. Support is less exciting to begin with, but you are the one that keeps the whole team going. Both very challenging and fun roles.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Vari3ty

Stop playing LoL then and try dota. There are heroes that only need levels in dota and require minimal farm (they get money from kills or assists). 

punkpunker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 punkpunker
Member since 2006 • 3383 Posts

its a necro thread...

ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

it's a necro thread but I'm sure people will be having this discussion 20 years from now ;)

I quit dota 2 because of the horrible team balance and too many angry people. I play CO-OP vs bots on hardest difficulty sometimes with friends. it's a lot less easy on the nerves since you can't get raped by unbalanced teams, you can even just farm and outmaneuver the bots eventually.

I quit LoL coz it's F*CKING BORING. everoyne just farms. ability power was an excellent idea on paper, giving mages bonus damage, problem is everyone farms.

and everyone had ghost and blink and only used them for defence.

dota 2 has a lot of items for mages too, but they are usually usable items  ( LoL doesn't even have usable items I think). so t hey are like extra spells, making people go out and gank when they got them, not just farm Ability power like in LoL

I was level 20 in LoL a year after it came out or smth. I remember my last games, I just wanted to go to sleep, it was that boring.

No ability to deny makes it even more boring...

I also don't like the whole NAZI TRIBUNAL  FOLLOW THE METAGAME OR GET BANNED mentality.

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Iantheone
[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]...

LoL has changed a lot since it first released, the meta has also changed a ton. There are useable items and you only played until level 20. You have to have gotten to at least 30 and played some ranked matches to really know how the game works.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#43 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

I quit dota 2 because of the horrible team balance and too many angry people.

ciorlandenis
That's the same reason I left Dota2 too. Level 13 or 14 and I still get noobs who don't even know how to deny or last hit and fall easily into enemy traps. Valve needs to fix their MMR system.
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

1. Accessibility

Lets get this out of the way, the answer is known by most ppl anyway: LoL is more accessible than DotA 2.

BlbecekBobecek
That's just wrong. You need to buy the locked heroes in LoL. Dota 2 has all heroes unlocked and requires no money to play the entire game. The rest of your rant was personal opinion and belongs in your personal blog entries.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
From my experience with both games are good. LoL is more teambased, and Dota is slightly more individual based. Its far more possible to carry a team on your own in Dota than it is on LoL. LoL also gives your team more of a chance to come back, whereas in Dota you are punished more by dying. IMO, since Dota is more individual based pro-gamers prefer it. Fits more in line with other MLG games. Iantheone
I'm sorry this is not the case...... DoTA is far harsher for a loner. ok carry classes might go of the charts but in highly competitive games the entire team NEEDS eachother and anyone caught alone f*cks up the game compeletely unless the team has gotten that 1 person to a superior position.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

1. Accessibility

Lets get this out of the way, the answer is known by most ppl anyway: LoL is more accessible than DotA 2.

SKaREO
That's just wrong. You need to buy the locked heroes in LoL. Dota 2 has all heroes unlocked and requires no money to play the entire game. The rest of your rant was personal opinion and belongs in your personal blog entries.

The "Locked" heroes are rotated for free play, and you start with 8-10 heroes. It's also less "complex for the sake of complex", compared to DoTa 2. Maps are brighter in LoL, more color, creativity. They both have problems with their player base. While LoL has frequent trolls who join and feed, or simply afk, DoTA 2 is too complex for the average gamer, and "new players" (under 300 hours) often don't know what they're doing and end up feeding or leaving.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
[QUOTE="SKaREO"][QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

1. Accessibility

Nibroc420

The "Locked" heroes are rotated for free play, and you start with 8-10 heroes. It's also less "complex for the sake of complex", compared to DoTa 2. Maps are brighter in LoL, more color, creativity. They both have problems with their player base. While LoL has frequent trolls who join and feed, or simply afk, DoTA 2 is too complex for the average gamer, and "new players" (under 300 hours) often don't know what they're doing and end up feeding or leaving.

What the? How is "Rotated weekly heroes" a good thing? there are over 100 heroes meaning you need to cycle 10x to get it, this system just encourages grinding..... DoTA you can pick everyone straight away. Ugh, yet another casual that touts the "simple is always better" moto ........ its not complex for the sake of being complex, its complex to be harsh and COMPETITIVE. ..... the animation, voice acting, production values, character designs, map design, everything is so inferior its a joke, no ammount of bright cartooney nonsense makes up for that.... How on earth can you say LoL is more creative?????? considering how much they milk your player base from it. and then factoring in DoTA2s production values AND the creative content of the COMMUNITY is being introduced in droves. My mind is blown tbh..... how an opinion can be so wrong.
notThatICare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48 notThatICare
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

First I apologize for bad english,personally I dont think any inteligent person can say that one of these 2 is better than the other one because they have many differences,one that nobody mentioned,teamfights in dota are generally much longer than in lol,lol teamfight can end really fast if its going straight 5v5,which is not similiar at all to dota(dota fans will say that longer is better,lol fans that shorter is better,),I think that the biggest difference here is ranked games in lol,which is preety serious stuff after u hit 2000elo which is what happened to me,i hate the fact that lol has ip and buying champions but i would do the same if i was a game creator,most ppl forget that they are making money when ur buying RP,i also hate to see taking champions from one game and putting into the other one,first lol champs were very similiar to dota,but i like the way they are more complicating now and way more fun,and i love the lore ofc,i favorize riot because it is frankly much better,i wish one day they will understand how much dota laning is better,and that lol will create high utility champions,

i could never pick which one i like more,and it is very sad how much people fight over this topic

flamy143kika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 flamy143kika
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

@QQabitmoar said:

Love ya!! :) :D

flamy143kika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 flamy143kika
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

@BlbecekBobecek:

@BlbecekBobecek said:

. Map

On first sight both maps look basically the same (which is also what most anonymous LoL players say about them because they never seriously played DotA 2), but in a closer look, there is a lot of difference.

First of all, the top lane is vastly different from the bottom lane in DotA 2. Each side has one lane, that allows pulling of creeps to neutral camps (gaining more XP by killing neutral camps early and denying some XP to your opponent because the neutrals kill some of your creeps in the process), but it is also much easier to gank this lane (where a jungler usually is if the team decides to have one).

What I love about LoL map is that it contains neutral camps with various bonuses. Timing respawn of those camps adds great dynamic to the game and forces shodowns. DotA basically only has Roshan and it is not that crucial to kill him as soon as he spawns.

There are also some other differences between the maps like high grass vs high grounds that prevent vision, etc., but those are minor in my opinion.

Its also worth to mention the fact that LoL has a 3v3 map Twisted Treeline, which is great if you only have two friends to play with currently online. I personally only play TT in LoL lately, because when Im alone or if we are five, I go for DotA 2.

you have 0 knowledge about the Dota map. It is more skill fully created, to an extend where I get amused even now after playing 1800 games of dota 2 and roughly 3000-4000 games of WC3 dota. Each and every twist and turns means something in dota and trust me it impacts the game. ROSHAN kills are so most very important (dont point this for grammatical mistake, just get its important) and the whole game revolves arround him.

" Timing respawn of those camps adds great dynamic to the game and forces shodowns. DotA basically only has Roshan and it is not that crucial to kill him as soon as he spawns."

seriously ? roshan spawns are timed. Every single neutral units on maps are timed. Do you even know that you can stack neutrals? Do you even know that in dota you can block neutral creep spawns? Do you even know that you can pull your lane creeps to the neutrals and chain pull other camps to kills a wave of creeps completely? Do you even know that the placement of neutral camps plays so much importance in game. And adds a lot of bonus for certain heros to lane top or bottom (tinker or alchemist or doom or beast master and much more heros, i dont think you would even understand if i explain)

And there is this whole freaking concept of runes (double damage/haste/invisibility..etc) that are present in the map and has time for spawn, which needs to be controlled to control the game?

There is a super awesome feature of blocking creeps or even HEROES (that is how i like them to be called!) which impacts the game to a greater extend. I seriously tried blocking creeps and heros (I like calling them that way) in LoL it is either impossible or usless (Did i say that i have played atleast 2000 games of LoL and own 99 Heros in it!!) Controlling the nc is helpful to an extend in LoL where as it means the whole game for a lot of character in Dota.

Have you ever heard of high spots, its importance? Do you even know that the FOG of war is dynamic in dota2 and is static in LoL and do you even know that there is a Day / Night cycle that affects Fog of war as well as skills of certain characters.

I would forgive you for any thing that you made mistake on with this comparison but the maps. THE MAP in dota 2 is far more superior compared to LoL.