DOTA 2 Discussion

#1 Posted by KHAndAnime (13753 posts) -

Does anyone here play DOTA 2? What is your favorite class? Are there any classes that you view as over-powered? Opinions on the match-making system?

I've been playing the game on and off with a friend. Being a newer player, I've been mostly learning the game playing as the Drow Ranger. I don't really want to move onto another character until I feel I've learned how to play this one well, but I'm approaching that point. I'm trying to get ideas for what classes I should attempt to play next. Are there any classes that you think are particularly fun to play?

#2 Posted by Arthas045 (5217 posts) -

I have always wanted to play the game, but I feel its very overwhelming. Also the negative feedback on the community is a put off to, but I am sure it cannot be any worse than WoW PVP....

#3 Posted by heatfanman101 (2877 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

Does anyone here play DOTA 2? What is your favorite class? Are there any classes that you view as over-powered? Opinions on the match-making system?

I've been playing the game on and off with a friend. Being a newer player, I've been mostly learning the game playing as the Drow Ranger. I don't really want to move onto another character until I feel I've learned how to play this one well, but I'm approaching that point. I'm trying to get ideas for what classes I should attempt to play next. Are there any classes that you think are particularly fun to play?

I recommend just doing some bot games, random a hero and see which ones appeal to you. I did this while I was learning how to play and I pretty much just play whoever now. Some easier heroes if you want something more specific are: Axe, Wraith King, Sniper, Death Prophet, Lich, Lion, Windrunner (stun can be tricky, but she was one of my favorites early on), Sven, Jakiro, Huskar and Crystal Maiden.

#4 Posted by wkwan (135 posts) -

to play well in dota, you need to at least know what all the heroes can do and what items there are. It will take forever to learn this if you only play one hero. The best way is to random a hero (against bots) and just pick a top rated guide to learn that hero. However playing against bots and real players is totally different. so once you know how that hero works is to play with real people.

sniper, drow ranger, faceless void, antimage, etc.. are rly not good heroes for a beginner as they are hard carries. they need alot of farm and last hits. if you see the pros play, they can last hit every single creep in the first few waves and have around 15-20 last hits in the first 5 minutes. Compare that to how many last hits do you get in the same time. I'd be wagering about around 5. against people who know what they are doing, they will constantly harass you in early game and quickly pick you off in team fights later.

#5 Posted by harry_james_pot (10832 posts) -

I tried the game for a bit and didn't like it.

#6 Edited by KHAndAnime (13753 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

I have always wanted to play the game, but I feel its very overwhelming. Also the negative feedback on the community is a put off to, but I am sure it cannot be any worse than WoW PVP....

Any popular game is going to have complaints regarding the community. The game isn't really overwhelming at all. There's a built-in guide system that tells you every little thing to do, so you don't even have to do as much as plan your build. You simply just play.

@harry_james_pot said:

I tried the game for a bit and didn't like it.

Any particular complaints?

@wkwan said:

to play well in dota, you need to at least know what all the heroes can do and what items there are. It will take forever to learn this if you only play one hero. The best way is to random a hero (against bots) and just pick a top rated guide to learn that hero. However playing against bots and real players is totally different. so once you know how that hero works is to play with real people.

sniper, drow ranger, faceless void, antimage, etc.. are rly not good heroes for a beginner as they are hard carries. they need alot of farm and last hits. if you see the pros play, they can last hit every single creep in the first few waves and have around 15-20 last hits in the first 5 minutes. Compare that to how many last hits do you get in the same time. I'd be wagering about around 5. against people who know what they are doing, they will constantly harass you in early game and quickly pick you off in team fights later.

You can observe what heroes do pretty easily without having to play them yourself, though playing them yourself gives you insight into a class' weaknesses. Drow Ranger is an uber easy beginner class, probably one of the easiest. Last hits are pretty damn easy to get, I usually get a dozen within the first few waves. I usually deny a good amount too. The reason why Drow Ranger is easy is because you can focus on the basics and with absolute minimal ability management.

#7 Posted by harry_james_pot (10832 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:


@harry_james_pot said:

I tried the game for a bit and didn't like it.

Any particular complaints?

Not exactly, I'm just not a big fan of the genre. My friends got me into LoL and I played that for about a year. And then when I tried Dota I guess I didn't like it because it's different.

#8 Edited by JigglyWiggly_ (23551 posts) -

lolmobas

#9 Edited by KHAndAnime (13753 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Not exactly, I'm just not a big fan of the genre. My friends got me into LoL and I played that for about a year. And then when I tried Dota I guess I didn't like it because it's different.

DOTA is pretty much superior to LoL in every conceivable way. It's difficult to even compare the quality of each game, but I'll just say Valve's free games actually feel like paid games, whereas LoL never surpassed feeling like a cheap F2P game.

Personally, I hate most MOBA games, and I've played just about all of them all since the Warcraft 3 mod. DOTA 2 is pretty much the only MOBA that I can claim to be worthwhile, and it's because Valve knows how to make good multiplayer games.

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

lolmobas

Up until Valve made a MOBA, I'd completely agree. Valve only knows success, fortunately for the MOBA genre. As far as I'm concerned, it's the "end-all be-all" of MOBA games.

#10 Posted by MBirdy88 (8220 posts) -

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

lolmobas

lolquakedeadgame

#11 Posted by MBirdy88 (8220 posts) -

Back on topic.... don't learn with friggin ranged carries... every newby does it.... "Oh I can auto attack with high damage after 30 mins... im learning" ... its just the false way... Drow can do crap all as a character.... just a noob stomper in really bad games.

Learn some proper supports/tanks .... far more interesting than carries... and actually have a big impact pre-40 minutes. learn what they do and what to avoid.

everyone wants to carry... the lamest roll in mobas.

#12 Edited by SerOlmy (1714 posts) -

Do not get involved in MOBA, I'll repeat again, do not get involved in MOBAs. They are the Mos Eisley Spaceport of video games - the most retched hives of scum and villainy you can imagine. The adolescent trolling in XBL, CS:S, and COD/BF do not hold a candle to the rage, vitriol, racism, and hatred that spews out in these games. I mean just take one look at what the devs are having to do just to keep people from harassing each other, they have already had to lifetime or year long ban pro players for their toxicity. Take all the worst internet vitriol you can imagine from reddit, 4chan, and all the other dark corners of the internet and wrap it all around a core of seething hatred and frustration and you will have an inkling of what it is like to play a MOBA. And DOTA2 specifically is the worst, because it has the highest learning curve.

There are no redeeming factors in this genre, if you value your sanity spend your leisure time on literally anything else.

#14 Posted by mep69 (1866 posts) -

It's a game you need to play with friends, or you are thrown in with idiots that don't know how to use teamwork in a team based game. Also, Russians. Even if you queue for English only you are paired with people that don't speak the language you queued for, which creates a big barrier in the teamwork.

I love the game, just can't bring myself to play again atm.

#15 Posted by Lucianu (9419 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

DOTA is pretty much superior to LoL in every conceivable way. It's difficult to even compare the quality of each game, but I'll just say Valve's free games actually feel like paid games, whereas LoL never surpassed feeling like a cheap F2P game.

Personally, I hate most MOBA games, and I've played just about all of them all since the Warcraft 3 mod. DOTA 2 is pretty much the only MOBA that I can claim to be worthwhile, and it's because Valve knows how to make good multiplayer games.

I don't agree with LoL feeling like a cheap F2P game. I think it's a great, quality game with seemingly endless length. Before i go in-game, i always mute the other players and communicate through pings, so i haven't experienced this supposed 'problem' of the toxicity of the community that SerOlmy is describing since the first few matches i've played half a year ago. Communicating through pings is more than enough for good team-play, it's faster and more effective aswell. Overall, it has always been fun to play a couple of matches before going to bed after a day of work.

It's the game i always recommend, alongside The Orange Box, for anyone getting a fresh start into PC gaming.

As for DOTA 2, i can't say whether it's superior to LoL or not, because i haven't played it.

#16 Edited by KHAndAnime (13753 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@KHAndAnime said:

DOTA is pretty much superior to LoL in every conceivable way. It's difficult to even compare the quality of each game, but I'll just say Valve's free games actually feel like paid games, whereas LoL never surpassed feeling like a cheap F2P game.

Personally, I hate most MOBA games, and I've played just about all of them all since the Warcraft 3 mod. DOTA 2 is pretty much the only MOBA that I can claim to be worthwhile, and it's because Valve knows how to make good multiplayer games.

I don't agree with LoL feeling like a cheap F2P game.

That's fine, I mostly made that point because I think anything where you have to pay to unlock content (like heroes) resembles a cheap F2P game. Being able to pay for any advantages, whatsoever, still counts as "pay to win" in my book. Even if the paid heroes are balanced - it still gives those players more tactical options than those who didn't pay, enabling them an advantage. The graphics aren't very pretty either. I'm sure the gameplay is fine. I wouldn't know because I only played a handful of matches in LoL before giving up, and that was at least a year ago.

DOTA 2 doesn't let anyone pay for any advantages or bonuses that aren't purely cosmetic, which is why I can't call it a cheap F2P game. Everyone gets the same content.

#17 Posted by Lucianu (9419 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@Lucianu said:

@KHAndAnime said:

DOTA is pretty much superior to LoL in every conceivable way. It's difficult to even compare the quality of each game, but I'll just say Valve's free games actually feel like paid games, whereas LoL never surpassed feeling like a cheap F2P game.

Personally, I hate most MOBA games, and I've played just about all of them all since the Warcraft 3 mod. DOTA 2 is pretty much the only MOBA that I can claim to be worthwhile, and it's because Valve knows how to make good multiplayer games.

I don't agree with LoL feeling like a cheap F2P game.

That's fine, I mostly made that point because I think anything where you have to pay to unlock content (like heroes) resembles a cheap F2P game. Being able to pay for any advantages, whatsoever, still counts as "pay to win" in my book. Even if the paid heroes are balanced - it still gives those players more tactical options than those who didn't pay, enabling them an advantage. The graphics aren't very pretty either. I'm sure the gameplay is fine. I wouldn't know because I only played a handful of matches in LoL before giving up, and that was at least a year ago.

DOTA 2 doesn't let anyone pay for any advantages or bonuses that aren't purely cosmetic, which is why I can't call it a cheap F2P game. Everyone gets the same content.

Late reply, sorry.

Well, you don't have to pay anything to unlock champions, you can just unlock them with IP points that you can gather by playing. It takes a much longer time to do so, but that time can be well spent on mastering the champions at your disposal. After hundreds of hours, i am good with Ashe and Miss Fortune. I wouldn't say i've mastered them, but i can definitely say i do better with them than with other champions. Also, there's a pool of free champions that you can play as, that periodically change, assuring that you could find one that you may like and unlock indefinitely.

From what i've seen, DOTA 2 is much harder to moderately get good at because of many mechanics you need to keep in check that do not exist in LoL (such as turn rates and denying a minion kill) and matches take longer because of the significantly larger map size. They're both so different, ex., in DOTA 2 you protect the towers, wile in LoL the towers protect you. That alone is a fundamental change to playstyle.

#18 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2479 posts) -

@KHAndAnime it should be noted that in lol's version of all pick, you can't see the enemy heroes, so you can't counter them the way you can in dota2.