Does anyone have Carpal Tunnel?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sa1nT_Ch3wy
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts

So I have been a PC gamer for going on 3 years now. I play predominately with KB+M with the exception of certain games that are better suited for controller (ie Batman and Assassins Creed) However, over the last weeks I have noticed I am starting to get a slight tickle/tingle in my wrist. My first thought was 'oh god its carpal tunnel' but after searching further I am not so sure. Can any either confirm that its the start of Carpal Tunnel or maybe its somewhat normal? If it is Carpal Tunnel are there any tips that can make it go away or less noticeable? Either way I am looking for some closure...

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

How old are you and how are you holding and pushing the mouse?

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sa1nT_Ch3wy

@04dcarraher: Sorry I guess I should have clarified, it is actually my left wrist that is causing the issues not my right. Which is why Im kind of questioning it. But I am 23 years old but my mom also had CT, so I am not sure if it could be a genetic thing too.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 04dcarraher

Best thing I can suggest it keeping your wrist straight, having your wrist/hand up at an angle can put pressure on the nerve. From what Ive read in the past CT may be genetic on how your wrist structure is shaped.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sa1nT_Ch3wy

@04dcarraher: Yeah I just bought a new gel wrist rest that had seemed to work for a week or two but its acting up again. Does it sound like CT though or maybe something else? Because I dont want to give up my KB+M and as far as I know it doesnt really seem to go away

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 04dcarraher

Try rotating your wrists and flex them every once in a while.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy:

I get Carpal Tunnel every once in awhile...maybe like once every few months. If it is what you have then all you have to do is lay off the gaming for about week and you'll be good.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I get that feeling too sometimes, but it is normally gone the next day.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Surprisingly not yet, considering I've been using computers since the mid-80's.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

No, I don't.. Ever stretching your hands and arms daily?.. that might help.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sa1nT_Ch3wy

I took a break for about 3 days and I have been stretching and icing. I also taped it just to see if it helped. It just worries me for long term but I played for a little over an hour today and it didnt seem to tingle. Maybe I just need shorter gaming sessions?

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

What is your overall fitness level like? To me it just sounds like you have your fingers / wrists at an odd position and are tensing them up. That in itself is not really CT unless it happens for no reason at all. Don't worry about it though.

Sa1nT_Ch3wy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sa1nT_Ch3wy

@nutcrackr said:

What is your overall fitness level like? To me it just sounds like you have your fingers / wrists at an odd position and are tensing them up. That in itself is not really CT unless it happens for no reason at all. Don't worry about it though.

I am a healthy 23 year old, I am 5'7 and weigh 150 lbs and I go to the gym 4 times a week. I thought that this might be the problem, that is why I got a new gel wrist pad and I lowered my keyboard that way everything is flush.

@consolegamr said:

@Sa1nT_Ch3wy: The symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) include the following:

• Numbness or pain in your hand, forearm, or wrist that awakens you at night. (Shaking or moving your fingers may ease this numbness and pain.)
  • Occasional tingling, numbness, "pins-and-needles" sensation, or pain. The feeling is similar to your hand "falling asleep."
  • Numbness or pain that gets worse while you are using your hand or wrist. You are most likely to feel it when you grip an object with your hand or bend (flex) your wrist.
  • Occasional aching pain in your forearm between your elbow and wrist.
  • Stiffness in your fingers when you get up in the morning.

And this is why I even question whether I have it or not because I really do not have any of these symptoms. This is maybe a good thing because the tingle that I do get is just a warning because I am taking all the precautions as if I really do have it.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Do something like Basketball or Volleyball that involve the wrist. I used to have all sorts of wrist trouble when I first played kb/m. I played some volleyball and basketball at college and my issues went away.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Get these, I have them.

http://www.amazon.com/Gripmaster-Exerciser-Tension-9-Pounds-Finger/dp/B0006GCBL4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1397494241&sr=8-4&keywords=finger+grips

I don't have carpal tunnel, but they keep your grip in shape. Should definitely help you.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Perhaps having a desk with plenty of space helps. When I type on my keyboard, my elbows are on the desk with my outer limbs straight from the elbows to the hands.