MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

So lets say you're playing a shooter which runs at 60fps, lets say it dips to like 45-50 or whatever. Does a dip in the frames per second in turn cause input lag on your controller? Or does it register the second you press it and whatever dips on screen is independent of you pressing a command?

Sorry I'm not very technically sound when it comes to these things.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Yes it adds more input lag, the lower your framerate the greater your input lag is.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

What kind of symptoms are supposed to be manifested? My framerates vary from area to area. By that, I mean my framerates are either higher or lower depending on how much is being rendered onscreen. However, my framerates does not fluctuate from higher to lower in one area. If they're higher, then they remain higher.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MikeHockbourns

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Yes it adds more input lag, the lower your framerate the greater your input lag is.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

What kind of symptoms are supposed to be manifested? My framerates vary from area to area. By that, I mean my framerates are either higher or lower depending on how much is being rendered onscreen. However, my framerates does not fluctuate from higher to lower in one area. If they're higher, then they remain higher.

well now I'm even more confused. Ill give an example, if I'm playing a game like BF4 and theres a huge explosion somewhere on screen causing the fps to drop to from 60 to 50, at that very second an enemy jumps on screen and we have a 1 on 1 gunfight......now, am I at a disadvantage in the gunfight because of the frame dip? Or does the shoot command enter the same either way.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@mikehockbourns said:

well now I'm even more confused. Ill give an example, if I'm playing a game like BF4 and theres a huge explosion somewhere on screen causing the fps to drop to from 60 to 50, at that very second an enemy jumps on screen and we have a 1 on 1 gunfight......now, am I at a disadvantage in the gunfight because of the frame dip? Or does the shoot command enter the same either way.

Jiggly is probably right especially if it involves online play.

Me? I stick to SP games. Adverse effects are minimal if at all.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I think I' ve experienced this before.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MikeHockbourns

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@mikehockbourns said:

Isn't it fun to sometimes "own" people online? lol

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@mikehockbourns said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

Everything is delayed, you are sending your info on less frames. For your monitor, if you are getting 50fps, you are looking at 20ms of input latency + the monitor's input lag which is usually another 30ms if you are on a standard 60hz panel.

If you were on a 144hz monitor and get 144fps+, you would be looking at 6.9ms of input lag minimum.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jun_aka_pekto

@mikehockbourns said:

@jun_aka_pekto said:

@mikehockbourns said:

Isn't it fun to sometimes "own" people online? lol

Nah. I preferred LAN to online. Once LAN support disappeared, I quit MP. My last MP game was Battlefield 2.

My glory days were the Quake days with Quake 2 as my favorite. Back then, I had a Pentium II and Voodoo 2 SLI which lined up with what higher-end PCs are today. Since I stick to SP and 1080p nowadays, a modest mid-range rig is good enough to me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

Everything is delayed, you are sending your info on less frames. For your monitor, if you are getting 50fps, you are looking at 20ms of input latency + the monitor's input lag which is usually another 30ms if you are on a standard 60hz panel.

If you were on a 144hz monitor and get 144fps+, you would be looking at 6.9ms of input lag minimum.

I'm sure there's always some input lag present. The question would be whether the lag is perceivable or not. In my case, I'm aware of lag when using HDMI. But, not so much with VGA or DVI. I still use the two older ports on my PCs.