Do you trust Gamespot's Scoring?

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TA127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 TA127
Member since 2007 • 774 Posts

Do you get a first(or second)good\bad impression from a game based on Gamespot's scoring and review?

Over the years I saw Gamespot's scoring is very strict, and not many games get a high score, even the good ones(although 2-3 games got 10.0 form GS you must agree that there is not such thing as a perfect game).

As i tried to rely on their judgment i wasn't disappointed in most of the times so i play and buy gamesmostly based on what Gamespot thinks.

Do you act like me?

Wht do you think is good\bad at GC's scoring?

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts
I always went by gamespot score for any game I was considering getting. Now not so much. I mostly come here for the forums.
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

Usually I'll use their score as reassurance when someone tells me a game is awesome or something. Their reviews also might get me interested in a game and then I might go looking through forums and seeing what other people think about.

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
well when I was younger, I got many games for the PS1 that I loved only to come here in the past few years and see that they suck! So now, yeah I look here most of the time, especially because games are focusing more on looks so it hard to get a great game that will last. Now I don't touch any game below 8 unless there are so crazy circumstances.
Avatar image for Carbinesoldier5
Carbinesoldier5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Carbinesoldier5
Member since 2005 • 4361 Posts
Same here Citan76.I don't rely on their reviews though, it's just something to make me interested or like a game better, but the final veredict to see if I like the game is my own reviewor point after all.
Avatar image for mouthforbathory
mouthforbathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 mouthforbathory
Member since 2006 • 2114 Posts
Not really, although I do look at them just to see. In the end it comes down to YOU playing the game and judging it for yourself. I remember the 8.8 controversy for Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, and all the Nintendo fanboys going all balls over that. Frankly I thought the score should have been lower, since I actually played the game a good deal. Honestly my only real reason to be on Gamespot is for previews, pictures, and the forums. Reviews are entertaining but I don't take 'em too seriously.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I do. Not religiously or anything though, more like an added voice. I read PC Gamer, Games for Windows, and visit site like this and gamespy. All of these sources are usually pretty inline with their reviews of games (some exceptions) but the majority of the time they are right on.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts

As with any large reviewing site of any matter, there are always chances for bribery, but we do not knw that.

I tend to rely on the user reviews the most, because at least those are truthful.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#9 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I think it's shallow, too much to be effective
captalchol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 captalchol
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
I'll read the reviews and see what they have to say but it won't be my determining factor in a choice to buy a game.
A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
In the end its my decision. I think gamespot has proven they don't know how to review and rate games but most websites don't. I have a very few trusted reviewers of PC games but I never buy a game just by other peoples advice/views alone.
firefly026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 firefly026
Member since 2005 • 3270 Posts
Define trust. Do I base my opinion of a game off there reviews? Yes. But do there reviews determine if I will purchase the game or not? No (although, most of the time, that's the case).
Avatar image for smoothanddeadly
smoothanddeadly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 smoothanddeadly
Member since 2004 • 59 Posts
I think that game reviews are much like movie reviews; we find reviewers whose attitudes and preferences are similar to our own and discard the rest. Personally, I've always tried to avoid reading reviews until after I've played the games in an attempt to keep an open mind. But playable demos and gameplay movies are useful in making the final buying decision, perhaps moreso than printed or online reviews.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
If i didnt trust their scoring then I wouldnt come here.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
No, not most of the time. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3, Gears of War, and dozens of other messups really ruined my trust with the site.
serieus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 serieus
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts
The reality of it it, it's like the radio. How many of you hear your favorite underground (all genres have an underground) musicians. When I listen to jazz I'll hear Fats Waller or MIles Davis, but never Michelle Portal. Same with video game reviewers they only cater to the top dogs. I'm willing to bet that gamespot is paid to review the games they review. If they weren't paid to do so then gamespot would be reviewing some great indie games. Gamespot just works for the man (large corporations like EA and Vivendi) not for the small groups of people that make great games without the marketing schemes of the top dogs. I don't trust any of their scores, I just go with what I think looks like fun. All in all, all games are hit and miss, some high scoring games like WOW I think suck, but others like Freedom Fighters or StillLife I find fun and invigorating.
Maximiliator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Maximiliator
Member since 2006 • 129 Posts

I nearly always trusted in gamespots scorings. BUT sometimes, they really didn't score correct...

for example C&C3, got a way to high score.

Must times you really can rally on gamespot !!! :)

Max

P_O_T_T_E_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 P_O_T_T_E_R
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Gamespot has built a good reputation! For being unreliable on reviews and scoring.
NemesisLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NemesisLives
Member since 2003 • 426 Posts
Its just another scoring system for games. If a game looks intresting and you might like it, sure look and see if it has a good rating. But look at what other REAL people have to say about the game. There are alot of games I like that get bad reviews and some games I hate that get 10's across the board.
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamergeek
Member since 2003 • 567 Posts
I think it is very possible to create a perfect game according to gamespots scoring system. I also think gamespots scoring system isn't strict but very fair. There have been a couple of scores here or there that i dont agree with for example Gears of War got a 9.6 with value at a 9 and gameplay at a 9 imo gameplay should have got a 7 and value 7-8 just because there was nothing new with this game and the covering system has been used in games like killswitch. Thats just one example. I was very pleased with Bioshocks score at a 9.0 although value should have got an 8.
Grove_City09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Grove_City09
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Thisis the first and main site I check for scores (and reviews). For the most part I'd say they are pretty accurate, although I also feel like they screw up sometimes. For the most part on games that are way hyped up before they come out, gamespot has a tendency to rate those ones higher than maybe they should be IMO.

I pretty much agree with serieus on the fact that there is a big possibilty gamespot gets paid to do the things they do, and also abou tsome games are hit and miss.. Absolutely NO game is for EVERYONE and thats for sure. So, ultimately it comes down to know what you like and what you dont like. Read the reviews and if it sounds cool you should at least try it.

habitat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 habitat
Member since 2003 • 260 Posts
i dont completely trust gamespot as much as i used to, but what i do now is check out ign, gamespot and pc gamer reviews because those are my top 3 trusted review sources. out of the three, i trust pc gamer and ign over gamespot but i still enjoy reading gamespot reviews. in all honesty, you cant trust any of them because each person likes different styles of games. you have to understand that the ratings cant cater to everybodys taste. if you're going to trust anything, subscribe to pc gamer.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
i come to gamespot to see what they think about some game and should i buy it
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gamergeek
btw ign reviews suck and should not be trusted
BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

If i didnt trust their scoring then I wouldnt come here.VinnoT

Same here. It's still the first place I check for any game I'm considering to buy, but I must say I'm not a big fan of the new rating system and the actual review holds more value for me then the score itself. Other then that, user opinions and other reviews will ultimately determine what games I buy.

Grove_City09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Grove_City09
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

btw ign reviews suck and should not be trustedgamergeek

Agreed.

-R4zi3l-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 -R4zi3l-
Member since 2007 • 198 Posts
i find them to ve very accurit
papapavvv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 papapavvv
Member since 2006 • 60 Posts

I think they're corrupted

For some games (C&C3, Gears of War, etc) they're way to generous

For other games (especially Nintendo's) they always demolish theses games in their critics

But usually they review quite well their games

D9-THC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 D9-THC
Member since 2007 • 3081 Posts

Gamespot reviews are terrible...I stopped reading them years ago.

PC Gamer is the only reviewer I trust.

lim_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lim_ak
Member since 2003 • 1545 Posts
I think that the scoring for the most part is fine, still don't like the new scoring method but apparantly I'm in the minority so I'll live with it. The scores for the most part are accurate, I disagree with some of them but usually not enough to actually make me bothered about it. But I do completely trust the gamespot reviews, they really are very good and are pretty much are the best review team out there, they also happen to be the slowest but hey you can't have everything.
PoP999606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PoP999606
Member since 2005 • 60 Posts
Recentlly I don't trust Gamespot's ratings all that much because a lot of times games areeither under or overrated. And in conjunction with the new rating system that I personally think doesn't work leaves me wondering on gamespot's credibilty. But even so I take their word into someconcideration but not as much as I take other criticss' word for it. In short my trust twords Gamespot right now isabout 50-50.
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamergeek

I think that the scoring for the most part is fine, still don't like the new scoring method but apparantly I'm in the minority so I'll live with it.lim_ak

I also hate the new rating system

Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

In the end it comes down to YOU playing the game and judging it for yourself.mouthforbathory

My thoughts exactly. Everything comes down to your personal taste and sometimes its difficult to be "objective" if you are analizing something that you dont like. For instance, UFO Extraterrestrials received a 5.5 or something like that, while I found the game to be great and there were a lot of players that found it great too.

Now, I only read the reviews to have a "deeper" look at the features of the game, but I dont pay much atention to the score.

Bearrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Bearrie
Member since 2006 • 142 Posts
90% of the time, I'll get a game because I'll read about it or ask people I know that play the games I do what they've heard. I rate games based on my opinions, as I'm sure a lot do. People are biased though, and some rate games poorly. I don't take the User rating too far.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
gamespot gives bad rating to all ps2 games and great to xbox that is not fair
Protoford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Protoford
Member since 2007 • 372 Posts

No one is going to judge an air traffic controller simulater the same way I would. I have agreed with PC Gamer more than any other source, but I have subscribed to them longer than any other source too. Haven't been here long enough to judge. Eyes are on you Gamespot!

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Their scoring on adventure games is always suspect.......they tend to low score most of them and yet over rate a game like the Awakened..
dilan94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#38 dilan94
Member since 2006 • 4344 Posts
I trust gamespot scoring most of the time
couly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#39 couly
Member since 2004 • 6278 Posts
they gave bioshock 9.0 ridiculous.
gamergeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamergeek

they gave bioshock 9.0 ridiculous.couly

what is so rediculous about that??? I beat the game today and thought gamespot was a little to generous imo bioshock should have got an 8.8 there's nothing revelatory about the game what so ever just a great story with great graphics and lacking value.

jeffcenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jeffcenate
Member since 2004 • 270 Posts

i dont really pay much attention to the scores. when i look at the list of 'most popular' and 'coming soon' i just shake my head and laugh really. when you have a game thats 'coming soon' and you see TBA next to it you have to know that its only on there because someone got a check to put it there (mafia 2 , and starcraft II as of this posting time).

now dont get me wrong, everyone has to make a buck and i have no problem with it, its not like there arent other sources for information about gaming, but like so many of us here, i too, mostly use the forums and user reviews too help me make up my mind. but over all i would say that GS isnt too far off the mark on most reviews, though id like to see them take a more pro-actiave stance on some gamer 'issues' especialy things like companys making half a game just so they can milk hundereds more out of buyers in the form of 'expantions' just too get the finished product. (galatic civ comes to mind right off simply because of the rate of their expantions and what content got left out of the base gameis so obvious). they have no trouble slaming games without a huge user base for various things they have done wrong, but if a game is popular you seldom hear a peep about it (Civ IV comes to mind, none of the major user flaws were even touched on judging by the forum posts).

i dont trust their motivations is all. im more comfortable with my fellow gamers opinions since its pretty easy to spot the plant/fan boy and just as easy to spot the ones with a grudge against a given game/company. i will say that GS has saved me from making some horrible game buying choices as well as sneaking in a unnoticed gem or three over the years though. im happy with them for the most part as long as i dont have to depend on JUST them and take everything they say , especialy about big games and big named companys with a grain of salt

(BTW i refer only to the PC based aspects of this sight. i dont use consol's at all)

A1B2C3CAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#42 A1B2C3CAL
Member since 2007 • 2332 Posts
I think someone is fixing/cheating on this poll...the numbers just don't add up. Maybe multiple account holders voting more than once.
Disco_Joe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Disco_Joe
Member since 2004 • 110 Posts

I don't know. I know that GS tries to be objective in its reviews, (Greg Kasavin confirmed this a few years back) but I think the very nature of game reviews makes this impossible.

For example, Yoshi's Island DS. It's a terrible game; redundant, easy levels, absolutely atrocious music, and lackluster graphics. But GS game it a 9.4... Now, that's fine, people can disagree with me. But the problem is that GS says that a 9.4 game is better than a 9.0 game. Yet we all know (i.e. most of us will agree) that Bioshock is not an inferior game to Yoshi's Island DS.

So what's going on here? Simple. GS is rating different genres of games on different criteria. They thought Yoshi's Island did what 2D platform games are supposed to do, and did it really, really well. OK, but how does that mean that it's a better game than Bioshock? Because it does what "it's supposed to do" better than Bioshock does what it's "supposed to do"? How can you be objective about something like that? You can't (at least not that precisely); it's a subjective opinion.

I think reviews are fundamentally subjective, and that the best review will typically relate a personal experience had while playing the reviewed game. This makes reviews more reliable, also, because when someone reads the subjective account of a reviewer's gaming experience, they will know right away if they agree or disagree with the reviewer. For example, when someone gives a good review of a rollercoaster, and says it's awesome because it has some really intense drops, a listener will know that those intense drops are things that he wouldn't enjoy. So even though the ride was getting a good review, he'd know it wasn't for him. It's all about relating to the reviewer.

Gamespot tries to standardize its ratings into one system whereby all games can be compared to one another, but I think games are a subjective thing which can't be measured objectively.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts

They've incorrectly scored too many games (imo) for me to trust them. Reviews are a very small factor in my buying decision as well, so it's not all that important to me.

CD_freakazoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CD_freakazoid
Member since 2007 • 307 Posts
Naaa, rarely, cause people have different tastes, and while I love "Shrek 2", theve rated it "mediocre":(
Mynx_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mynx_15
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts
Some games are overrated
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

"Do you trust rely on Gamespot's scoring?" lol is that a joke? they gave Hard Truck: Apocalypse and Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales score of like 4 and 5 - it's like giving HL2 the same score - it's just CRAZY!!

after those 2 scores i'm not trusting their scores anymore

Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts
They gave Oblivion 9.6, so no, I don't trust them.
linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#49 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
Normally, I look at a few reviews before I buy (GS, IGN and an Aus mag PC Powerplay.) Since GS is so strict, I know that any game that gets over a 8.5 is gold :).
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Well, are we talking about the scoring or the actual reviews? In regards to reviews, there are certain editors I trust while others I don't. Alex does good reviews most of the time, while Bethany giving Nintendogs a 9.1 on a serious gamer's site tells me to just ignore anything she has to say about games. (yes, if you go to GS's page about how they review, they say they rate games for the serious gamer...).

However, in terms of scores, my faith in GS has been sliding over the past few years. With the introduction of the new "pull the score straight out of my ***" rating system, it's to the point where I can't even take the scores seriously. I mean, before that, I had my own system of interpreting Gamespot's scores. I won't list everything, but if it's a mega-franchise, I'd instantly subtract an entire point off the score. Madden scores too high; Mario scores too high (god I dread the thought that SMG will get a 9+), Zelda scores too high.....it just seems to be the case with big franchises that date back for quite a while. In those games, they seem to look past outdated game design because "that's how the old games played," while a no-name franchise game would get absolutely panned for using the same design.

Again, there was more to my system, but it's just an example of how I had "interpret" GS's scores. But with the new system, I have no idea as to what any of it means now. Sure, with time, I'll get a feel for what their scores should mean to me, but with such a baseless scoring system, I don't see the point in learning how to interpret their scores again. At this point, the scoring seems erratic more than anything else.