Do i need to play Half-Life 1 before playing Half-Life 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts

I want to play Half-Life 2, but i'm bought HL1 for $10 off of Steam, and it really isn't that fun. There are some interesting puzzles, but i'm not getting the whole fun facter out of it. Also, the outdated graphics don't make it any better.

So, can i just skip HL1, because the Half Life: Orange pack looks cool this year, but i dont want to be lost.

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts
yeah, you probably can....just read up on the story on wiki,
Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
Graphics aren't fun if you can't enjoy the game on its own you don't really deserve to be playing video games.
Avatar image for deactivated-62d1b87aec423
deactivated-62d1b87aec423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 deactivated-62d1b87aec423
Member since 2003 • 2465 Posts
Graphics aren't fun if you can't enjoy the game on its own you don't really deserve to be playing video games.justheretodl124

Ignorant answer. People have different tastes.
Hot_Potato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Hot_Potato
Member since 2004 • 3422 Posts
All you need to know for Half Life 1 is aliens invade. Half Life 2 isn't really a full fledged follow up story wise, more just showing the effects of what happened. In fact, people in game fill you in one what happened after the aliens came to earth (Half Life 1).
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
You should really play it just due to the fact that it explains alot, plus its just a damn good game!
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
well the story isn't that impressive .... i can say it's not important at all to enjoy the game, but it's always good to know what people are talking about
xcryonicx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 xcryonicx
Member since 2006 • 1294 Posts
I played HL2 once through having only played the HL1 demo a million years ago and found the story/game just as amazing as the next guy..I'm probably going to get shot down for saying this but HL1 as of today feels so archaic that I can't seem to finish the opening mission every time I give it a try :P
Stratos53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stratos53
Member since 2003 • 67 Posts

If you dont care to learn who the characters are, and what the whole series is about, then go ahead - but you are missing out on the whole freeman person'a - and being lost is the deal.. True - HL 2 does "carryover" and fill in on the story, but at least for me, I dont want to start up without knowing what is going on, and getting a feel for the game itself.
- I still jump when the headcrabs jump out of nowhere - from the original - I am sure others would agree..

FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts

http://members.shaw.ca/halflifestory/

That link is the most widely accepted telling of the Half-Life story thus far.

You will find every detail of what happens in HL1 or any other half-life game so you won't feel lost at all.

PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts
i didnt beat hl1 and went through hl2 and episode one. You dont really need to know the complete details of the first game to play, just that gordon freeman is a scientist who happened to see aliens invade his lab and he kicked their butts. Half life is more about fun factor than story, although there is a pretty good story it goes really slowly through all the games, half life 2 is fun, just skip the first one.
FragMonkey09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FragMonkey09
Member since 2005 • 1543 Posts
I beg to differ. The half-life story is, IMHO, the best story in a game to date. Many people will agree with me. Just use the site I posted above.
Aufban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aufban
Member since 2006 • 53 Posts

No. Not at all.

There's not really a coherent story anyway. Play HL2 and go with the flow.

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

You should really play it just due to the fact that it explains alot, plus its just a damn good game!ice_radon

Agreed.

bigd131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 bigd131
Member since 2005 • 144 Posts
black mesa source will come out and it will be a remake of hl1 and it will have better graphics
yourbeliefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 yourbeliefs
Member since 2005 • 247 Posts
I played 2 before I played 1, and like you I wasn't very impressed with the package and quite frankly the game just started annoying me. While you could argue that you miss out on what some consider to be one of the best games ever, and also it would probably make some of the stuff in HL2 make more sense, I had a ton of fun playing HL2 and its expansion stories without HL1. Don't let your frustrations with HL1 deter you or delay your playing of 2.
Land-0-Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Land-0-Funk
Member since 2007 • 863 Posts
I tried playing through the first one , but became bored with it and moved on to something else. I havn't played the second either since i'm waiting for the orange box release later this year
koza_76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 koza_76
Member since 2005 • 338 Posts

So, can i just skip HL1, because the Half Life: Orange pack looks cool this year, but i dont want to be lost.

helium_flash

What a silly question, ofcourse you can. =). Try to figure out the story by playing the game, look at the environment for clues such as posters and such. If your still lost after that, read a bit about the half-life story. Have fun HL2 is a great game.

dttk0009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dttk0009
Member since 2004 • 38 Posts
You could just always read the story and watch someone beat the game on a speedrun. I think the record right now is something close to 20 minutes.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#20 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts

No, you don't haveto play Half Life to understand or enjoy Half Life 2. But you would be missing out on a great game is you don't play Half Life. The graphics might seem dated, but as you play through the game, you will being to enjoy it, just as I did.

So go ahead, play for a little while longer. You will see what the fuss is all about ;)

drnick7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 drnick7
Member since 2004 • 995 Posts
No, you don't need to, but honestly, you really should, as it is not only one of the greatest games of all time, but also, in my opinion, is better than its sequel. But hey, that's just me.
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#22 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
It was definitely groundbreaking for its time. Too bad I didn't play it back then. When I recently played, I was accoustomed to the newer and initially I got a little bored. But as I played, I throughly enjoyed it.
Agent_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Agent_13
Member since 2007 • 571 Posts
I played HL2 before I played 1, and it wasn't confusing or anything, I only had to look up a couple of things and I knew most of what was going on in the story.
Ninja_Of_Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ninja_Of_Pie
Member since 2005 • 71 Posts

Try getting Half Life: Source and downloading this pack - http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://filespace.ru/games/hl2/hls/HLSHD_BETA.rar.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DHLSHD_BETA.rar%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

A beta of the Half Life: Source High Quality Model pack; took some work to find it.