Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile...what's the better game in your opinion?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Diablo 3 vs Path of Exile...what's the better game in your opinion? (70 votes)

Diablo 3 34%
Path of Exile 54%
Hate both... 11%

Just curious what you guys think.

I need to finish the D3 expansion still but I'm stuck on ESO at the moment. I never spent much time in Path of Exile..

• 
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

They are different, I enjoy currently playing D3.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Haven't played D3 for over a year. But unless the expansion changes the entirety of the SP campaign, I pick POE, because every single one of Diablo 3's acts bored me to tears. The game was 100% tonally confused. It didn't know if it wanted to be a Saturday Morning Cartoon in the style of WoW, or if it wanted to be some dark, haunting, gorey game. Whatever the game set out to do atmospherically...it 100% failed. Diablo 1 and 2 were immersive hack and slashes because of the interesting locations, the way they were portrayed, and the extremely dark ominous atmosphere throughout. Diablo 3 was just...a bland, boring hack and slash grindfest. From what I understood, for the game to actually get challenging, I'd have to beat it a couple of times first. So what am I supposed to do - be bored for 25+ hours before I get to the fun? Diablo 1 and 2 didn't have these problems (unless you exploited OP build guides and did speed runs, which wasn't playing the game straight).

So I pick PoE, because the developers knew exactly what direction they wanted to go with the game - it's immersive, has a game world that is fun to explore, and isn't distinctly unoriginal or poorly written in any way. Blizzard was too busy figuring out how to implement their uber AH into Diablo 3 and build the entire game around that that they absolutely forgot to make an interesting game in the meantime.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Haven't played D3 for over a year. But unless the expansion changes the entirety of the SP campaign, I pick POE, because every single one of Diablo 3's acts bored me to tears. The game was 100% tonally confused. It didn't know if it wanted to be a Saturday Morning Cartoon in the style of WoW, or if it wanted to be some dark, haunting, gorey game. Whatever the game set out to do atmospherically...it 100% failed. Diablo 1 and 2 were immersive hack and slashes because of the interesting locations, the way they were portrayed, and the extremely dark ominous atmosphere throughout. Diablo 3 was just...a bland, boring hack and slash grindfest. From what I understood, for the game to actually get challenging, I'd have to beat it a couple of times first. So what am I supposed to do - be bored for 25+ hours before I get to the fun? Diablo 1 and 2 didn't have these problems (unless you exploited OP build guides and did speed runs, which wasn't playing the game straight).

So I pick PoE, because the developers knew exactly what direction they wanted to go with the game - it's immersive, has a game world that is fun to explore, and isn't distinctly unoriginal or poorly written in any way. Blizzard was too busy figuring out how to implement their uber AH into Diablo 3 and build the entire game around that that they absolutely forgot to make an interesting game in the meantime.

Interesting view, thanks.

I will say at launch I did not like D3 much at all. It's a lot game not but that's mostly due to things like loot drops.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

With the AH and old system, probably Path of Exile was better than Diablo3.

But with Loot 2.0 and the removal of the AH, I would say now they are both on par.

They are the same genre, but play very differently to each other though.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have not played POE, so I cannot really compare. I know one thing after the update of Diablo 3 I am really enjoying the game now more than ever.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

I played Diablo 3 at launch and found Path of Exile more enjoyable... Now that the huge patch came out along with the new DLC I have to say Diablo 3 hands down is a better game.

Boomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Boomer
Member since 2002 • 122 Posts

Diablo 3 on release heck no, but after update the game is actually fun. Having good items drop like in the old days is great.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

Ive played both and have a few opinions on it. When D3 first came out I was sorely disappointed and did not like the gameplay at all. I finished the game (since I paid for it) but then dropped it the second I got the chance. Fast forward nearly what, two years? And here we are with version 2.0. When I heard of the patch I redownloaded the game and started it over as a wizard. (I played as a monk the first time - terrible class). After playing through a few hours and with the added delight of exp bonuses I decided that the game was finally good. I liked the gameplay, the difficulty, and the loot is so much more satisfying. If you do want to get the game, wait for a sale and get it and its expansion. I would still never pay full price but right now its a good game. I just really wish there was multiplayer PvP.

Before the patch for D3, however, I played Path of Exile and actually really enjoyed that game too. The gameplay is tight, the regions are nice, and the presentation is grizzly, which is awesome. I also really liked that weapons were used for more than just show pieces. It actually felt like you physically used your weapons (as in, in the game) and that it had weight. I didnt play through too much but what I did play, I really liked. Of course, it doesnt hurt that the game is free and its also nice that none of the microtransation stuff is intrusive from what I could tell. It feels more like D2 than D3 - even know.

sandeep410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sandeep410
Member since 2004 • 1180 Posts

Isnt poe a mmo. I played for few hrs got bored

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

I enjoy Diablo 3 the most. The De-sync issues in POE are killer for me. Torchlight II is a very competent but otherwise uninspired clone.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

D3 w/RoS and 2.0 loot > PoE

PoE > pre RoS/2.0 loot D3

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

D3 w/RoS and 2.0 loot > PoE

PoE > pre RoS/2.0 loot D3

came here to say this

Postal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Postal_Guy
Member since 2006 • 2643 Posts

PoE

Got around 20 hrs into D3 (after RoS) and over 100 hrs into PoE. The only thing I like about D3 is the combat, the rest is meh

MlLkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MlLkMan
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

How many good legendaries do you get from a full clear of the game? Cause on the pre-patch D3, I remember not getting any legendaries after playing for 5 hours.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58955 Posts

@MlLkMan said:

How many good legendaries do you get from a full clear of the game? Cause on the pre-patch D3, I remember not getting any legendaries after playing for 5 hours.

It depends on the difficulty setting. On hard (the highest available on my first run) I only had 2.

On "Torement" I haven't even finished act 1 and I have had about 5 drop. Of course you have adventure mode now.

I really like when games reward you better for playing better.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@MlLkMan said:

I end up tripping over them whenever I sit down for a run of random dungeons

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

Both the game D3 and Blizzard's Reputation even after the exp. which should off been for free imo is miles away from PoE and GGG.