Decisions, Decisions. Razer's new blades are ruining my life

This topic is locked from further discussion.

prokiller7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By prokiller7896
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hello!

so, razer has a new line of blades, and since I'm often on the run away from home I figured why not pick one up.... but now I have a dilemma on my hands, the pro has a better CPU and more RAM and the switchblade UI so its probably better of stuff like developing (Oh yea, I do that.) but the GPU well.... kinda sucks... whereas the Blade has a stronger GPU (probably better for gaming) and a sick screen going for it plus its 100$ cheaper... Anyone have anything to recommend? something I should know? any opinions?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Any links to specific models? I'm at a loss at what you are talking about. Laptop right?

prokiller7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By prokiller7896

yea laptops,

this is the standard with the stronger GPU:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

and this is the pro:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@prokiller7896 said:

yea laptops,

this is the standard with the stronger GPU:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade

and this is the pro:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

Honestly, I would recommend neither. I asked a similar question in here about a year ago and someone suggested I check out the MSI GS70 series. Approximately the same form factor and weight, but for less money and with more storage options. Unless you -really- want to shell out several hundred extra dollars for that multifunction display, the MSI is the better option. Like the Razer Blade Pro, the MSI was recently refreshed with an 800 series GPU, too.

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GS70_2PE_Stealth_Pro.html#hero-overview

Edit: Here's a pretty loaded GS70 Stealth Pro at XoticPC. It has an 870m instead of an 860m like the Razer, three 128GB SSDs in RAID plus a 1TB second volume, and it runs $2100. That's compared to the 512GB SSD Razer Blade Pro which has a slower video card, over 1 TB less storage, and costs $700 more. The cheapest Razer Blade Pro is still $2300, which is $200 more than the MSI and only gives you a TOTAL of 128GB of storage.

-Byshop

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

First things first. That razer site is possibly the worst site for selling computers/hardware I have ever been too. The whole thing is based of flash and takes 3minutes to load and it doesn't even show me a damn price. No wonder I don't see razer laptops around, using their site is just too much of a hassle when you can go elsewhere with a better built site, more information, and an actual price. Oh wait I have to press buy this before a price is shown..... Ya because that makes sense.

Anyway back to the topic. I'm going to be that prick and say those two laptops blow. They are way overpriced and I'm thinking mainly due to the size factor and the 4k screen. Which again also has me wondering why by these machines when they don't even have the guts to properly do 4k. How do they expect you to do that when it's the ultra thin version is only running a 2.3ghz i7 and a 870m 3gb? I'd skip out on these overpriced machines and do some more research into the market. There are far cheaper machines with equivalent or better hardware that aren't overpriced do to a unnecessary 4k screen and a small form factor.

prokiller7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 prokiller7896

Hm, alright I appreciate that... MSI aside, any suggestions? from like personal experience?

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

I own a desktop so personal experience for me is non. But I've heard great things about Asus, MSi, acer, and Lenovo. Those companies generally tend to compete for price/performance with their laptops. I'd set up a price you'd like to spend and look for all the laptops within that range and simply pick the one that is more appealing/better then the others. Generally speaking buying laptops from the manufacturing website is a bad idea. Places like newegg, or amazan I would think would be the better places. More competition on the site for essentially the same product creating bundles and lower prices.

prokiller7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 prokiller7896

Alright, you may just be right, I originally went with Razer cause well.... it looked pretty damn fancy (don't judge me I'm only human) but now it looks like something like MSI would be the better option, thanks a ton, cheers :D

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@prokiller7896 said:

Alright, you may just be right, I originally went with Razer cause well.... it looked pretty damn fancy (don't judge me I'm only human) but now it looks like something like MSI would be the better option, thanks a ton, cheers :D

The MSI is the only thing in that form factor (i.e. super thin 17" laptop under 7lbs) that I know of. Don't feel bad. Like I said, I asked the same question in here and I got a similar answer so I bought the MSI and I'm very happy with it. Only thing is, I bought mine before the 800 series refresh so I have a 765m instead.

-Byshop

prokiller7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 prokiller7896

Razer mice are still cool though right?

godonholiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 godonholiday
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

@prokiller7896: Have you seen the slim dual GPU laptops?

GTX 860M SLI Gigabyte Aorus X7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhpVXv-j6H8

prokiller7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 prokiller7896

that.... thank you.... but it seems few sellers have the new one, should i wait for them to pick it up?