Corsair H60 pump dead?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by silversix_ (14785 posts) -

So today my pc crashed twice and i didn't know why, was then playing a game later and noticed my temps were going way passed 80*C (probably reached like 100) and the pump doesn't cause any noise anymore which it normally does when im playing games. Have the H60 since 2011, is it dead or what may have happened? I just re-applied the paste and running my 2500k@4.2 with 1.295v. Idle my temps are in mid 50's :[ dunno what's up. Are the closed loop Corair cpu coolers that shitty, a little over 2 years and already dead o.O?

#2 Posted by sSubZerOo (43215 posts) -

Uh is the fan still going did you check that? Furthermore pretty sure those things have a 3 or 5 year warranty.. And there is something definitely wrong with the cooler because I have the exact same cooler and cpu, h60 with 2500k @ 4.4) and it idles at around 27 and a prime test at those speeds I see a maximum of maybe 55.. Gaming it hovers maybe 45 on high demand games.

#3 Edited by PredatorRules (8128 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

So today my pc crashed twice and i didn't know why, was then playing a game later and noticed my temps were going way passed 80*C (probably reached like 100) and the pump doesn't cause any noise anymore which it normally does when im playing games. Have the H60 since 2011, is it dead or what may have happened? I just re-applied the paste and running my 2500k@4.2 with 1.295v. Idle my temps are in mid 50's :[ dunno what's up. Are the closed loop Corair cpu coolers that shitty, a little over 2 years and already dead o.O?

It's not if it's sh^tty or not;

A) H60 concidered as their cheapest water cooling, so that might add to the damage

B) It's a piece of hardware, of course it dies sometime in the future, in your case it lasted for over 2 years.

If you have a warranty left, it's a good time for replacement.

#4 Edited by 04dcarraher (19666 posts) -

I would keep an eye on it, One reason I personally dont like water cooling is the chance of leaks and the pump failing which means your screwed and have to switch out the cooler to keep it going. I would go into your bios and set a automatic cpu shut off temp of like 75C. I like the large air coolers because the only thing that can go wrong is the fan/s die but the cpu can still get the passive cooling even if it happens unlike the water cooling. Ive had a fan die on my 5 year old Coolermaster V8, in which had to order another fan, but surprisingly even without the fan the cooler kept the cpu below the temps of what a stock cooler would have been able to do.

#5 Posted by silversix_ (14785 posts) -

I connected the pump to a molex connector to be sure and nothing, temps were in mid 50's idle and going passed 80's while playing. I have two push/pull 1450rpm Gentle Typhoons and they work perfectly fine but i cannot hear the pump anymore. Now im back on stock heatsink/clock and temps are in high 30's while idle and from high 60's to mid 70's while gaming (thermal paste is MX-4). So im guessing its rma time? Think these have a 5y warranty.

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (8128 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Think these have a 5y warranty.

Good, send it back and get a new one =)

#7 Posted by _SKatEDiRt_ (2587 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:

@silversix_ said:

Think these have a 5y warranty.

Good, send it back and get a new one =)

Yep send it back

#8 Edited by ankor77 (984 posts) -

Hm, I have an h60 as well and never noticed any sound period. I guess I wont know when it stops! Anyways glad you caught it early.

#9 Posted by silversix_ (14785 posts) -

Funny thing is, i removed this thing completely from my rig and plugged it with molex once more to try if the pump is working and i can hear the sound of it doing its job so i dunno what to do now-.-. If i send it to Corair and it isn't broken then what? At the same time i don't see how the hell my cpu attained 100*C, normally it doesn't go over 71* and i didn't mess up with voltages or anything. Anyone has an idea what could've happened (radiator was clean)? Maybe i should put it back and see sup?

#10 Posted by PredatorRules (8128 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

Funny thing is, i removed this thing completely from my rig and plugged it with molex once more to try if the pump is working and i can hear the sound of it doing its job so i dunno what to do now-.-. If i send it to Corair and it isn't broken then what? At the same time i don't see how the hell my cpu attained 100*C, normally it doesn't go over 71* and i didn't mess up with voltages or anything. Anyone has an idea what could've happened (radiator was clean)? Maybe i should put it back and see sup?

Send it back and describe what's the problem, they'll check it of course and sent it back fixed or a brand new one.

#11 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23603 posts) -

They may just replace it without even looking at your product. Advanced replacements are your best friend.

#12 Posted by Horgen (110151 posts) -

@04dcarraher said:

I would keep an eye on it, One reason I personally dont like water cooling is the chance of leaks and the pump failing which means your screwed and have to switch out the cooler to keep it going. I would go into your bios and set a automatic cpu shut off temp of like 75C. I like the large air coolers because the only thing that can go wrong is the fan/s die but the cpu can still get the passive cooling even if it happens unlike the water cooling. Ive had a fan die on my 5 year old Coolermaster V8, in which had to order another fan, but surprisingly even without the fan the cooler kept the cpu below the temps of what a stock cooler would have been able to do.

You must have good airflow in your case.

@silversix_ said:

Funny thing is, i removed this thing completely from my rig and plugged it with molex once more to try if the pump is working and i can hear the sound of it doing its job so i dunno what to do now-.-. If i send it to Corair and it isn't broken then what? At the same time i don't see how the hell my cpu attained 100*C, normally it doesn't go over 71* and i didn't mess up with voltages or anything. Anyone has an idea what could've happened (radiator was clean)? Maybe i should put it back and see sup?

Does it still give you high temps?

#13 Posted by silversix_ (14785 posts) -

@horgen123: I RMA'd it yesterday. But i still don't know what happened there unless the pump was truly borken