CD Drive Not Working

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maverick6575
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts

The CD Drive on my Lenovo B570 Laptop refuses to read disks. It started a couple months ago, when it wouldn't read Halo 2 (PC). I asked around, and the general consensus was that it was an operating system clash.
But now it's refusing to read simple disks, like movies and CDs. I've even tried hooking up an external optical drive that I have, and I'm still having no luck.

Any ideas?

aesir05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 aesir05
Member since 2003 • 94 Posts

edit:

Can your lenovo be sent in for warranty?

If no, there should be a button or another method to return it to its original factory configuration (look it up in the manual)

Also, you didn't mention what exactly happens when you insert the disc into the drive.

Does it start to spin, windows doesn't show it or does it show it but it cannot be accessed.

Could also be a virus, depending on what happens when you put that disc in.

Maverick6575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Maverick6575
Member since 2012 • 230 Posts

edit:

Can your lenovo be sent in for warranty?

If no, there should be a button or another method to return it to its original factory configuration (look it up in the manual)

Also, you didn't mention what exactly happens when you insert the disc into the drive.

Does it start to spin, windows doesn't show it or does it show it but it cannot be accessed.

Could also be a virus, depending on what happens when you put that disc in.

aesir05

That's exactly what happens

And no, the warranty has expired.

And I don't want to factory reset it for a thing like this. I'd have countless hours of games to reinstall, not to mention filles that I would lose becasue I'd forget to put them on Google Drive or a flash drive

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
Everything else seems to work fine but as far as Windows is concerned there's no data on the disk? Does that sound about right? If so then it's likely the laser that has failed and you should be able to get a replacement drive for a small handful of dollars. Try using a Windows install disk or linux if you have one, change your BIOS to boot up the drive first and see if it's able to do it, if it can't then I'd simply get a new drive.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
The fact that Windows isn't recognizing your external DVD is quite puzzeling, it almost sounds like a driver issue or a general Windows issue.