Can you trick 32 bit OS into 64 bit OS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 genius2365
Member since 2010 • 495 Posts
I was wondering if there was a way to trick a 64 bit program to run under a 32 bit OS. I'm asking because I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit and I really want to try out the Battlefield 4 beta, which requires 64 bit. Reinstalling my entire OS and programs isn't really worth it at the moment, especially if I do a clean install of Windows 7/8 a year from now.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

Nope. Sorry.

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

nope there's a fundamentally different way the programs work especially regards to memory space. Which is why 64 bit stuff is incompatible with 32 bit stuff. So you cant fake it.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

1) save your home folder and every subfolder on an external drive

2) reinstall vista 64 bit

3)...

4) profit

Total time taken: a few hours.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Temporarily dual boot and use the 30 day period of windows without a key? At least I think it's 30 days...

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Temporarily dual boot and use the 30 day period of windows without a key? At least I think it's 30 days...

kraken2109

I agree. Dual-booting 32-bit Vista and 64-bit win 7 is the best option.

joseph_mach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 joseph_mach
Member since 2003 • 3898 Posts

You could always boot different versions of Windows from a thumb drive as well.  Just set the boot priority in your BIOS to usb and you could boot just about any version you wanted.

Dom_Hawk_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dom_Hawk_basic
Member since 2002 • 411 Posts

Would a VM work? Or does the host have to be 64bit for the VM to hav eaccess to that?

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 genius2365
Thanks for all the advice. I recently asked my dad why he never bothered to install the 64 bit OS to begin with, and he said that some of the drivers for my hardware were not available for 64 bit OS. I did a quick search on my motherboard ( GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L) and found 64 bit drivers. Could I be missing something? Also, based on what I've read, it seems that I need to open up a new partition to install another OS. Once I do so, will I still be able to access content from the hard drives, or will it be like a clean install?
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Yes, you can trick your 32 bit OS into thinking that it's a 64 bit OS, but it's not easy. You must be very persuasive. You must think like a military drill instructor. You need to break it down, confuse it, recondition it, and rebuild it back up as a 64 bit OS. You must make it truly believe that it has changed. Like teaching a puppy to walk on two legs, it will not be easy... EDIT: Sorry, I'm on pain meds after my surgery :P
MHzBurglar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MHzBurglar
Member since 2011 • 112 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I recently asked my dad why he never bothered to install the 64 bit OS to begin with, and he said that some of the drivers for my hardware were not available for 64 bit OS. I did a quick search on my motherboard ( GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L) and found 64 bit drivers. Could I be missing something? Also, based on what I've read, it seems that I need to open up a new partition to install another OS. Once I do so, will I still be able to access content from the hard drives, or will it be like a clean install?genius2365

Sounds like he was thinking of or was put-off by Windows XP 64-bit.  The driver support for that was TERRIBLE, but that's not the case for Vista/7/8 64-bit.  For those that didn't know much about the subject at the time, there was a general mentality of "64-bit sucks for drivers" going around.  Might be a case of that.  Either that or you have some special proprietary hardware sitting on one of your PCI/PCIe slots (maybe like an old TV capture card or something) where the manufacturer never wrote a 64-bit WDM certified driver for it.

You won't be able to do an in-place Windows upgrade to a 64-bit edition from a 32-bit, but as previously suggested, either carve out a partition on your hard drive or install a second hard drive and dual-boot your computer with Windows 7 64-bit.  Windows 7 has a 30-day grace period before it forces you to enter a key and activate, and even after that it'll still work without activation but just nag you about activating when you boot up and turn your wallpaper black for another 60 days or so.  More than enough time for the beta.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

No.

Why are you using 32-bit OS these days? Do yourself a favour and get 64-bit version of Windows 7.

genius2365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 genius2365

No.

Why are you using 32-bit OS these days? Do yourself a favour and get 64-bit version of Windows 7.

Cyberdot
Well, I'm probably going to get myself a new computer a year from now, and it would probably be simpler if I do a clean install on the new computer of all the programs I need (unless it's simpler to install vista 64 on another partition, install all programs in 64 bit, and then do a direct upgrade from Vista to Windows 7/8 ?). Based on what I've read, I think I'm going to open a new partition on my hard drive and install the 64 bit version of Windows Vista. I do have Windows 7 and 8 ( my Dad picked up Windows 8 for 40$ and it's not that bad), but I think it would be best to wait until I make my new computer to upgrade my OS. What do you guys think?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Thanks for all the advice. I recently asked my dad why he never bothered to install the 64 bit OS to begin with, and he said that some of the drivers for my hardware were not available for 64 bit OS. I did a quick search on my motherboard ( GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L) and found 64 bit drivers. Could I be missing something? Also, based on what I've read, it seems that I need to open up a new partition to install another OS. Once I do so, will I still be able to access content from the hard drives, or will it be like a clean install?genius2365

Tell your dad he is living about 6 years in the past.