PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

I got FX-6300 and Asus M5A97 (first gen). Is there a Windows program I could use to change CPU OC on the fly? Like, make a profile and just load it? I remember findling with Asus AI suite with my old computer but all it got me was BSOD's.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#2 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

ya Asus AI suite is a buggy piece of crap, i had nothing but problems with many version of it. It actually somehow screwed up a logitech webcam driver somehow once, tell me how that is possible?

AMD does have an overclocking software utility which works with most of their cpus, but not all. Its called AMD Overdrive and it lets you overclock from within windows through its software... its similar to Intels Extreme Tuning utility.

I'm only partly familar with it cause I only used it a few times on my laptop, but my main pc is an intel so i don't use it on that. Its actually a good piece of software to test out stability within windows... you can even tell it to apply settings at startup.... but im not sure if you can tell it to apply settings per program or not... like activating during startup of a game.

If you were using intel i'd just say you enable speedstep or the C power states so your cpu automatically clocks itself. My cpu displays 4500mhz all the time, but it downvolts itself automatically because i have all the powerstates manually enabled. (i found auto settings didnt enable them all)

So download AMD Overdrive and test it out, its probably your best bet since its made by amd it should be the most realible i think.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

Best way to OC CPU is by BIOS.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I have a MSI board and it comes with a GUI program that lets you do it on the fly. I cannot remember the program name though.

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

Well AMD Overdrive doesn't seem to do the trick. I only reduced the multi and it applied it, but it disabled cool and quiet. And Windows aero, too, for some reason. No BSOD but the game crashed shortly after launch and I had to reboot manually. I know bios way is the best, I just wanted to try this new game Nosgoth on lower clock as it seems to put maximum stress on both CPU and GPU no matter what it does, even in menu (bad coding or whatever it's called).

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

MSI has a program i use called Command Center that you can control CPU OC and fans for the system, even the GPU. I don't think this is applicable for motherboards that aren't MSI though, not sure if it works with AMD either.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

The BIOS seems to be the best way to overclock, I only hear bad things about these programs.