This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khalaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Khalaz
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Ok..so i'm planning on getting my first computer for gaming and i've been looking at the Asus G750JZ-DS71 that comes with a nVidia GTX 880M, 4th gen i7-4700HQ, 24GB DDR3, 256GB SSD and a 1TB 7200 rmp 32mb SATA. I want something that I can game on a lot at high resolution and settings, be able to run sony vegas smoothly while editing any clips I may have, and photoshop and so on. The Asus would end up costing my about 2.5k and I just wanted to know what you guys think, should I buy the asus or invest the 2.5k in a gaming rig (if so what setups would you recommend?)

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Build build build especially for high res which would make a laptop pretty redundant there. You can get a rig thats better than a laptop for fraction of the price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/ < knock yourself out with this.

Khalaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Khalaz

@Bikouchu35: I've never built a gaming rig, only fixed up some basic dells a couple of times, what should I start with first, like what should I buy?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@khalaz said:

@Bikouchu35: I've never built a gaming rig, only fixed up some basic dells a couple of times, what should I start with first, like what should I buy?

It's easy. And if you are ok with a desktop, I am sure we can get you a rig for 1200-1400 that is better than the gaming laptop. Give us a budget :)

i7 4770K, Z97 motherboard, GTX 780 to start of with.

What do you already got? Do you need a monitor, OS, keyboard and mouse? Any old parts you can reuse like a case or PSU?

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Definitely build.

Khalaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Khalaz

@horgen: Imma need everything lol. Starting from scratch

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

2.5k? you can build two PCs in that kind of money, 1 for gaming and the 2nd for working station

Khalaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Khalaz

@Chatch09: Should I go with dual GPU's or one powerful GPU?

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GeryGo  Moderator

@Chatch09 said:

^But....why? For that budget you could build one solid rig that'll out-perform both for either purpose, including TV/monitor and peripherals.

Because FirePro and Quadro GPUs are very expensive and they excell in terms of working station

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#13  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Here's a build in your price range with two high end GPUs. This build would last you for a while.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GeryGo  Moderator

@khalaz said:

I want something that I can game on a lot at high resolution and settings, be able to run sony vegas smoothly while editing any clips I may have, and photoshop and so on. The Asus would end up costing my about 2.5k and I just wanted to know what you guys think, should I buy the asus or invest the 2.5k in a gaming rig (if so what setups would you recommend?)

Based on your programs you'll need 16Gb of RAM, SSD, 8 core CPU.

Those programs are not heavy duty ones so you can forget about the Quadro or the FirePro

go with insane metalists' recommendation:

@insane_metalist said:

Here's a build in your price range with two high end GPUs. This build would last you for a while.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GeryGo  Moderator

@Chatch09 said:

Ahh I see, I'll have to do some research on those. How do they measure up against mid-high end GPUs though? ($500-1000)

Well Quadro 6000 costs 1700$, for pro editing and work station only as you may be stunned only by the cost of the GPU

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#17 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Building is very easy. Alll motherboards have instructions on the necessities of what to plug in; with genuine sockets, so there is no fear in plugging in something in the wrong place. I do reccommend getting a good well sized case if you're a first time builder as they can make it so easy to adjust and add stuff if you have second thoughts about a component and want to change or add.

Only the only tricky part is probably understanding where to put the RAM in which slots. Plenty of first timers get it wrong. And the +/- connectors for things like the power/reset can be a little tricky too on some motherboards.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GeryGo  Moderator

@Chatch09 said:

@PredatorRules: Holy crap....is it beast for gaming?

No, but it's way better than SLI Titans, if you're into heavy editing etc.