Black Mesa... Ahh the memories...

• 134 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Been playing Black Mesa for about 3 hours now and just goes to show what a great game HL1 was. I thought I would start the mod and get bored since I've played it before, but alas....I can't stop playing it.

I just wish they would have fixed the loading screens...

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DigitalExile
Member since 2008 • 16046 Posts

Those loading screens are really annoying, but that's a source thing, I'm sure.

I spent about 12 hours playing it yesterday. It was fantastic.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
The loading screens are in the exact locations that the original had them most of the time. Besides that later in the game the loading screens become less frequent because the levels become more clustered and complex, causing you to stay in the same map for a longer period of time solving puzzles, performing tasks, etc. Great remake :)
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
A question, as long as I have a Source engine game installed I can run the mod, right?
SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#5 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Yep, the loadings do take forever, if thats what you mean.

I can't believe how awesome this mod is. Shooting is satisfying as hell, the attention to detail is amazing, graphics look really, really great, and combines all the great elements of the original as well as improving many. Voice acting, some of the changed level design, Kleiner and Eli with their own models... all top notch. Best of all, very immersive and addictive.

The only complaint I have is that the regular jump aside from crouch jump is laughable. Easily worth the wait, a triumph for the modders.

Now if we could get that OpFor remake... :D no hurry. Get the Xen levels out first.

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DigitalExile

A question, as long as I have a Source engine game installed I can run the mod, right? Miroku32
As far as I know you don't even need a game as the SDK is now open for everyone.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside
A question, as long as I have a Source engine game installed I can run the mod, right? Miroku32
You need the SDK Source 2006 and 2007 installed and updated. Then you download Black Mesa and install it. Then it should show up as a game in Steam. As for the loading, I know they are the original ones from the original game.... they were done like that cause back then PCs weren't as powerful. Surely they could have made a fix for not so much loading?
INeedAids

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 INeedAids
Member since 2005 • 150 Posts

Love the new mod, they sticked to the original, but it still feels fresh! Freaking love it!

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#10 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Thanks for the reply everyone.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Black Mesa is an unbelievably well-done remastering of one of the best games of all time. I too am hooked. I played HL back in 1999 not long after it came out. This is just as good.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
It's a great mod for sure, the loadings don't really bother me
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

It's amazing, yes. And I've definitely noticed some subtle (and not so subtle) changes to some level design and layout, which helps it seem really fresh. It's a blast. But.. I'm stuck. I can't figure out where to go after the scientist lets you into the security office to get the gun. All the directions seem to lead to dead ends.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Does it have new levels? Cause I don't remember playing some of them. (maybe cause it's was 14 years ago...lol)
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Felipe, please stop.. my Half-Life 1 days are behind me. I must stay focused on Guild Wars 2.

Sincerely,

Elann

Ben-Buja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ben-Buja
Member since 2011 • 2809 Posts

It still stands the test of time and the source engine is still pretty to look at imo. Just nice and clean without tons of post processing and bloom.

A great mod for a great classic!

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]A question, as long as I have a Source engine game installed I can run the mod, right? FelipeInside
You need the SDK Source 2006 and 2007 installed and updated. Then you download Black Mesa and install it. Then it should show up as a game in Steam. As for the loading, I know they are the original ones from the original game.... they were done like that cause back then PCs weren't as powerful. Surely they could have made a fix for not so much loading?

Oh really, so CS:GO wouldn't work then huh? Where would the directdownload for the sdk source 2006 & 7 be, if if not?

DigitalExile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DigitalExile

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Miroku32"]A question, as long as I have a Source engine game installed I can run the mod, right? Lach0121

Oh really, so CS:GO wouldn't work then huh? Where would the directdownload for the sdk source 2006 & 7 be, if if not?

Go to Library > Tools

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You need the SDK Source 2006 and 2007 installed and updated. Then you download Black Mesa and install it. Then it should show up as a game in Steam. As for the loading, I know they are the original ones from the original game.... they were done like that cause back then PCs weren't as powerful. Surely they could have made a fix for not so much loading?DigitalExile

Go to Library > Tools

K cool, now that you mention it, I think I remember seeing some downloadable SDKs in there.

Thx.

hensothor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hensothor
Member since 2011 • 522 Posts

It's amazing, yes. And I've definitely noticed some subtle (and not so subtle) changes to some level design and layout, which helps it seem really fresh. It's a blast. But.. I'm stuck. I can't figure out where to go after the scientist lets you into the security office to get the gun. All the directions seem to lead to dead ends.

the_bi99man
You have to go back to the top of the stairs, just outside it is a red valve. Turn that, then go down the stairs and into the icy room. From there continue on your merry way, avoiding the perils ahead. :D
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

Felipe, please stop.. my Half-Life 1 days are behind me. I must stay focused on Guild Wars 2.

Sincerely,

Elann

Elann2008
We both know that there is no fighting Half Life. Sooner or later u will succumb like I did.....stop playing GW2, like I did....and play this awesome mod to remember the great days of Half Life...
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
[QUOTE="Elann2008"]

Sincerely,

Elann

FelipeInside
We both know that there is no fighting Half Life. Sooner or later u will succumb like I did.....stop playing GW2, like I did....and play this awesome mod to remember the great days of Half Life...

:cry:
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Nostalgia isn't just a river in Egypt... [spoiler] I kid, I kid :P [/spoiler]
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_bi99man

Does it have new levels? Cause I don't remember playing some of them. (maybe cause it's was 14 years ago...lol)FelipeInside

They definitely changed the level design a bit. I was doing a bit of replaying actual original half life only a couple months ago, so it was pretty fresh in my mind, and I was quite pleasantly surprised to find that Black Mesa had moved some things around, and changed paths, and added a few new rooms, and corridors. It looks like the iconic, really memorable rooms and fights have been preserved just about flawlessly, but the filler in between has been spiced up a bit. I like. Keeps it feeling very fresh. Plus, yeah, it looks gorgeous. They went all out with that Source. And the new music kicks ass.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside
What I don't get (or remember). SPOILER ??? The aliens that help you out in HL2 attack you on sight on this one? The skinny ones with 3 eyes and green lightning coming out of their hands. http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090425020034/half-life/en/images/5/5f/Alien_Slave.jpg
paulie69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 paulie69
Member since 2005 • 373 Posts

*Spoiler* They're actually alien slaves(the green collar things) and Nihilanth is their oppressor(the final boss of Half life) so thats why they love you so much in Half life 2 :)

Travis_Odell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Travis_Odell
Member since 2008 • 1775 Posts
Funny to see not one crap comment about this free mod, must be good. Good job gents.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"]A question, as long as I have a Source engine game installed I can run the mod, right? FelipeInside

No because Half Life 2 has the exact same issue. All (single-player) source games do. It's a matter with the engine: the levels can only be so big before the game has to load the next part.

I hope Valve can improve loading times on their next engine.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R4gn4r0k

Funny to see not one crap comment about this free mod, must be good. Good job gents.Travis_Odell

It's just that good :P also I think people didn't expect it to be that good after being in development for so long. Projects that take 8(+) years to complete usually don't turn out this great.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]Funny to see not one crap comment about this free mod, must be good. Good job gents.R4gn4r0k

It's just that good :P also I think people didn't expect it to be that good after being in development for so long. Projects that take 8(+) years to complete usually don't turn out this great.

And it's not even complete yet. Only up to the Lambda Core level. It is amazing, though. Pretty much a definitive version. Anyone who has ever hesitated to play HL1, possibly because they weren't interested until HL2, and felt the graphics were dated by then... get this, and play the best damn game ever.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="Travis_Odell"]Funny to see not one crap comment about this free mod, must be good. Good job gents.the_bi99man

And it's not even complete yet. Only up to the Lambda Core level. It is amazing, though. Pretty much a definitive version. Anyone who has ever hesitated to play HL1, possibly because they weren't interested until HL2, and felt the graphics were dated by then... get this, and play the best damn game ever.

I totally agree. I normally NEVER replay a game twice (mostly due to time constraints). But I can't stop playing this "remake", it's just that good.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

This will actually be my first time playing Half Life 1. I never did play the original

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
Loving this mod, I don't know what it is but its been so long since i've been hooked to a singleplayer game
sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I played it for 3 hours yesterday, amazing mod, completely free as well. I am constantly amazed at every turn at how well this has been redone. Also loved the Office Space reference at the beginning.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

This will actually be my first time playing Half Life 1. I never did play the original

BPoole96
U are about to experience one of the greatest games ever made, but do remember its 14 years old...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FelipeInside

I played it for 3 hours yesterday, amazing mod, completely free as well. I am constantly amazed at every turn at how well this has been redone. Also loved the Office Space reference at the beginning.

sailor232
Office space reference ? Off-Topic: I.migtht play HL2 when im finished with this. What's the best mod (graphics wise) for HL2? Easy to install?
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

It's amazing. It's Half Life on steroids. I spent a long time just looking around the first level at all the little easter eggs and all the extras scattered around the environment, it was like playing HL for the first time again it's such a new experience.

Pros:

• The level design's more in depth; Black Mesa feels larger and makes more sense than HL i.e. more labs, offices and security rooms where there should be giving the place that Labyrinth effect where it feels like a bigger-than-meets-the-eye underground lab.
  • It's great seeing Kleiner and Eli with their unique models.
  • The soundtrack's spot on and really goes well with what's happening on screen.
  • The ambient sound's extremely well done, I don't think I've played a game with such great use of ambience.
  • The shooting's really enjoyable.
  • Enemies appear where you don't expect.
  • The creatures seem a little more challenging; some zombies and the houndeyes are harder to kill, crabs are tougher to dodge, vortigaunts zap faster, the blue beast aims further and reacts faster, and those squids never miss this time.
  • The visuals are very well done and I personally think it holds up to modern day graphics still.

Cons:

• The NPC AI seems a bit off. Security guards shoot walls sometimes and soldiers don't seem as smart as before.
  • Gordon wouldn't win any medals in the hurdle jumping that's for sure.
  • A few bugs here and there e.g. crabs falling through vents.
  • I prefer being able to store more ammo in the older version.
ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Apart from the loading, and the odd performance hit, its easily the GOTY. A very worthy remkae, and one hell of a game! Everyone must downlaod it!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

FelipeInside

I totally agree. I normally NEVER replay a game twice (mostly due to time constraints). But I can't stop playing this "remake", it's just that good.

I have replayed the first half life many times and I have to agree with bi99man, this is the best version I have played so far. I wonder what they will do with Xen...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k

And also gibs

id9a47.jpg

this is what a 50cal does to a bunch of army dudes :P

commander1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 commander1122
Member since 2005 • 1165 Posts

game is great....but some of the sound in game feel missing...and new solider voice is bad.....miss the old soldier voice...

commander1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 commander1122
Member since 2005 • 1165 Posts

game is great...but some of the sound feel missing in the game....and new soldier voice..suck....love the old voice...

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

soldiers don't seem as smart as before.

cyborg100000

there were a few impressive moments I experienced during We've Got Hostiles. At least on hard, the guards are extremely capable of finding any exposed vulnerability you have. And they hunt you down better than a bloodhound. But their overly beefed up armor and ability to always auto-target and shoot in a split second, with sniper precision, while moving, from far distances, are a bit too much. In the original, the challenge seemed more real. Here, the challenge is more robotic.

And they had their dumb moments too. Like all gathering behind a fire door and stay there as it slowly opens. Fortunately for them, there legs have tons of armor points. . .

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

BPoole96

The only downside to Black Mesa is that you do miss the last few levels. They are pretty important if you want the whole experience. I hope they eventually release a complete Black Mesa with all levels, but what they've released so far is nearly flawless.

If you play Black Mesa instead of the original Half-life, you will be getting an authentic HL experience up to the point where it ends. The job they did on this is unbelievable. We get to enjoy all the greatness of the original game with modern visuals. I don't think this has ever happened before.

Kolossi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Kolossi
Member since 2007 • 789 Posts

And also gibs

id9a47.jpg

this is what a 50cal does to a bunch of army dudes :P

R4gn4r0k

Hah, I took a picture of the exact same area. Even the gibs are almost indentically placed.

Anyway, this mod is top-notch. Met only few bugs and I find the crowbar animation swing a bit silly, but other than, awesome.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Just finished the game and it was a lot of fun. =)

The game only had a few cons:

-climbing ladders had been changed a bit from the original. getting off a ladder with a simple push of the spacebar doesn't always work here and I sometimes got stuck to the ladder unwillingly, even causing me to get killed from enemies.

-some npc dialogue is bad. and I don't mean the voice acting, but the actual lines of dialogue. swearing ("what the sh*t was that sh*t"), out of place attempts at being funny ("please tell me if you find a bathroom"). However I have to say that some other npc dialogue actually had been improved over the original.

Overall a great remake, absolutely excellent. The music is worth noting especially, it's awesome and captures the Half Life spirit perfectly.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lach0121

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

hartsickdiscipl

The only downside to Black Mesa is that you do miss the last few levels. They are pretty important if you want the whole experience. I hope they eventually release a complete Black Mesa with all levels, but what they've released so far is nearly flawless.

If you play Black Mesa instead of the original Half-life, you will be getting an authentic HL experience up to the point where it ends. The job they did on this is unbelievable. We get to enjoy all the greatness of the original game with modern visuals. I don't think this has ever happened before.

Question then.

Is there any word on them working on those last few levels, or are there no plans for it?

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

Lach0121

Question then.

Is there any word on them working on those last few levels, or are there no plans for it?

The last levels are coming in a future update, along with MP, hopefully by the end of the year.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

ultimate-k

Question then.

The last levels are coming in a future update, along with MP, hopefully by the end of the year.

Sweetness, then I think I may hold out until then.

But will definitely be checking it out.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

The only downside to Black Mesa is that you do miss the last few levels. They are pretty important if you want the whole experience.hartsickdiscipl

And the training mission "Hazard Course" is gone. For someone completely new to HL, that even has some value to the whole experience. Sorta adds more nostalgia; brings back memories of days when games had training missions. The BM team said it would have been a waste of their time to include that, so go figure.