Best PC Side Scrolling Shooter (Plane/Space)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by isaacyassar (37 posts) -
Jets n Guns is the best IMO, though it still has some bugs up to now. What game do you think is the best Side Scrolling Shooter (vertical/horizontal) on PC (Plane/Space)?
#2 Posted by ticktocktick201 (999 posts) -

check out Teeworlds

Cavestory is pretty fun, on PC, PSP, linux....

Edit: lol just looked ur game up..that kind of sidescrolling shooter. Don't really know any

#3 Posted by gillri (5926 posts) -

isnt Shadow Complex on PC? thats the best in recent times

#4 Posted by dakan45 (18405 posts) -

gillri
NO its not. Which is sad becasue i played it on my ps3 and it was very impresive!!
#5 Posted by Renevent42 (5110 posts) -
Tyrian 2000
#6 Posted by Rob_101 (3291 posts) -

[QUOTE="gillri"]

dakan45

NO its not. Which is sad becasue i played it on my ps3 and it was very impresive!!

Shadow Complex on PS3? I thought is was XBLA exclusive...:?

#7 Posted by dakan45 (18405 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rob_101"]

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="gillri"]

Shadow Complex on PS3? I thought is was XBLA exclusive...:?

Yeah,sorry i got it confused with Bioninc commando rearmed for some reason :P
#8 Posted by kdawg88 (2907 posts) -

Abuse (aka Free Abuse or fRaBs) is the best side scroller game on the platform I've ever seen. I strongly urge you to go and play it.

Totally legal of course, here's the link: http://www.dosgames.com/g_act.php

#9 Posted by Aslyum_Beast (975 posts) -

Abuse (aka Free Abuse or fRaBs) is the best side scroller game on the platform I've ever seen. I strongly urge you to go and play it.

Totally legal of course, here's the link: http://www.dosgames.com/g_act.php

kdawg88

I have to agree with this one. I played through some of the singleplayer and was stunned by it.

#10 Posted by tstcuwsn (54 posts) -

try Halo Zero,it's a freeware game,based on Halo.

#11 Posted by JP_Russell (12893 posts) -

Tyrian 2000Renevent42

This. Tyrian 2000 is simply amazing among all side-scrolling shooters out there, and it's unfortunate it isn't better recognized in the genre as a whole. It's freeware now, too.

kdawg88

Abuse is not a side-scrolling shooter. Side-scrolling shooters are a specific type of 2D game, a variant of the shoot-'em-up genre, which 2D platformer does not fall under (despite that the screen scrolls to the side with you as you move and you can shoot in many 2D platformers). All those 2D games where you pilot a ship and the screen autonomously scrolls up / to the right and enemies always come from set places at set points in the level so it's all about level memorization, those are (almost the only) examples of side-scrolling shooters. Abuse is a very good 2D platformer for sure, though.

Shadow Complex is also a 2D platformer (most of the time), for the record.

#12 Posted by kdawg88 (2907 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Tyrian 2000JP_Russell

This. Tyrian 2000 is simply amazing among all side-scrolling shooters out there, and it's unfortunate it isn't better recognized in the genre as a whole.

kdawg88

Abuse is not a side-scrolling shooter. Side-scrolling shooters are a specific type of 2D game, a variant of the shoot-'em-up genre, which 2D platformer does not fall under (despite that the screen scrolls to the side with you as you move and you can shoot in many 2D platformers). All those 2D games where you pilot a ship and the screen autonomously scrolls up / to the right and enemies always come from set places at set points in the level so it's all about level memorization, those are (almost the only) examples of side-scrolling shooters. Abuse is a very good 2D platformer for sure, though.

Shadow Complex is also a 2D platformer (most of the time), for the record.

Agreed. Again, I haven't read the topic title. But my point still stands.

#13 Posted by Renevent42 (5110 posts) -

Just metioning Tyrian got me to want to play it again...downloaded the Open/Free version and ended up playing for 3 straight hours. What a great game...

#14 Posted by isaacyassar (37 posts) -
Tyrian 2000 and Abuse are quite old school. But thanks anyway. Steel Saviour (2004) looks promising. Have anyone here played it?
#15 Posted by Renevent42 (5110 posts) -
Only played the demo...graphics are fantastic but the game was a little on the hard side (if I remember right).
#16 Posted by jafaime (1 posts) -
hydorah its pretty cool... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S40sbLQj7yw
#17 Posted by enzyme36 (1452 posts) -

I am currently enjoying Sine Mora.  Good sidescrolling plane shooter.