Best online 2-player co-op game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I just helped my pal build a new PC, and he said he's really interested in a fun co-op game we can play together.  What are the best 2 player co-op games?  He doesn't like shooters that much, but he'll make an exception if it's a great one.

No MMOs, plz.

Ghazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Ghazy
Member since 2006 • 90 Posts
Battlefield 2 - Battlefield 2142 
Ghazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ghazy
Member since 2006 • 90 Posts

Battlefield 2142 - BF2 ?

nerd_rock_riot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 nerd_rock_riot
Member since 2005 • 191 Posts
GRAW and Splinter Cell Chaos Theory are the two best PC CO-OP games I've ever played... the rest are just online shooters but this is true Co-op mode.... GRAW lets you play the entire single player campaign with up to Four players in co-op while Chaos Theory has five or six specially made co-op maps that are FUN with all caps for emphasis... its really freaking good
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
If you are referring to true 2 player coop similiar to Gears I really don't think any exists. Maybe Doom
out0v0rder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 out0v0rder
Member since 2006 • 1994 Posts

call of duty (1) and it's expansion "united offensive" are excellent (and like 20 bux)

also, get Raven Shield, humans vs 25 bots is always fun.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 donalbane

call of duty (1) and it's expansion "united offensive" are excellent (and like 20 bux)

also, get Raven Shield, humans vs 25 bots is always fun.

out0v0rder
Is COD co-op? I have it, but didn't know that! Also, he's not a big fan of shooters.
x_boyfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 x_boyfriend
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts

Well most Co-ops are supposedly shooters. RTS don't have co-op support other than duking it out with the A.I on online skirmish. As for RPGs, co-op play have gone the MMO route since the isometric RPG died with Dungeon Siege.

I'd recommend Rainbox Six: Vegas. The game ain't great. But with a partner, it gets crazy good. Company of Heroes (RTS) is a team oriented strategy game though, if you wanna try that out.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
Splinter cell chaos theory. it has a true 2 player coop.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
SWAT 4 and Rainbow Six i guess.
Cra2y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cra2y
Member since 2004 • 342 Posts
Age of Empires or other RTS games

a good FPS.. Battlefield 2

As for a good singleplayer game with Co-op, not many.. Only one I can think of, is Splinter Cell games (newer ones). Also Diablo2 and similliar games.

Co-op games have died out to some degree, mainly because broadband internet is pretty much mainstream now. Games are made for internet multiplay, with less focus on co-op.

why kinda system you 2 have?
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 donalbane

Age of Empires or other RTS games

a good FPS.. Battlefield 2

As for a good singleplayer game with Co-op, not many.. Only one I can think of, is Splinter Cell games (newer ones). Also Diablo2 and similliar games.

Co-op games have died out to some degree, mainly because broadband internet is pretty much mainstream now. Games are made for internet multiplay, with less focus on co-op.

why kinda system you 2 have?
Cra2y
I have a low-mid level system, and he has a midrange system. Too bad, I hate RTS and he hates shooters, so we're kind of in a bind. Plus he's really not into 'violence' which sucks. I love violent video games. Something with a little sword and sorcery would be good, but I don't wanna play moldy-old Diablo. I sure appreciate everyone's advice, though.

Funny, I have a lot of the games you guys mentioned, but on the 360/xbox.  I wish he had a console, but sadly, he'll never get one.  I guess he's a grown up... something I missed out on.  Guess I didn't get the memo ;)

Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
I think Oblivion can be played on LAN or other the internet using Hamachi but I think its a mod that makes it co-op and I've also heard it can get pretty stupidly laggy.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 donalbane
I think Oblivion can be played on LAN or other the internet using Hamachi but I think its a mod that makes it co-op and I've also heard it can get pretty stupidly laggy.Platearmor_6
That sounds perfect... too bad I already have a 360 copy. I wonder how it works out quests/experience.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I regard a "co-op" game as a title that allows you to play through either the single player campaign or something like the single player campaign with another person.

+1 vote for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. They dumbed down the co-op mode in Double Agent into a basic "skirmish with AI opponents" setup. SC : CT actually has dedicated co-op missions that play out like the single player maps but require teamwork to complete.

Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2 are pretty fun co-op. The game will let you play through the entire campaign with other players over LAN or the Internet (each person requires their own copy of the game, even over LAN). The previous D&D based games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate also supported network play, but didn't implement it nearly as well.

Other games allow it through mods. Doom 3 has a co-op mod that works pretty well from what I've heard. Also there's a co-op mod for the original Half Life called "Sven" that's work checking out.

-Byshop

Platearmor_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Platearmor_6
Member since 2004 • 2817 Posts
Yer Splinter Cell Chaos Theory has some great co-op. I think its only about 4-6 missions but there good missions and not all that short.

Edit: FarCry has a mod somewhere that allows up to 4 player co-op.
Aceshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Aceshadow
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
the dawn of war series is good some are up to 40 bucks tho ther rts but you can be on a team and fight AI
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts

[QUOTE="Platearmor_6"]I think Oblivion can be played on LAN or other the internet using Hamachi but I think its a mod that makes it co-op and I've also heard it can get pretty stupidly laggy.donalbane
That sounds perfect... too bad I already have a 360 copy. I wonder how it works out quests/experience.

It doesn't work. The mod isn't even close to playable and never will be.

As for coop, Rainbow Six Vegas 2's coop is amazingly well integrated. On the downside, the game sucks.