Best FPS of 2008 (PC)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Electric-Guitar (180 posts) -

so,, which FPS PC game will be the top rated game of 2008,, name only one game if you can.

for me, it's gonna be (far cry 2)

#2 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
I think both Stalker Clear Sky and Far Cry 2 look awesome, If I had to choose one I would say Satlker : Clear Sky
#3 Posted by crozon (1168 posts) -

yeah agree those 2, plus hopefully operation flashpoint 2 and armed assault 2 will be out this year.

Is it me, but there arn't many killer FPSs coming out this year unlike last year.

#4 Posted by biggest_loser (24054 posts) -
Half-Life 2: Episode Three
#5 Posted by Doom_HellKnight (12202 posts) -
Of the one's announced, Far Cry 2 looks to be great.
I honestly can't see Episode 3 making 2008, but we'll see.
#6 Posted by Electric-Guitar (180 posts) -
i'm waiting till far cry 2, to be released, i finished far cry millions of times,, and really wanna see part 2 of it, specially they developed it by the cry engine 2,, it's gonna be awesome.
#7 Posted by darkfox101 (7055 posts) -
Crysis 2. Nah Prob next year ^_^!
#8 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -
Clear Sky.
#9 Posted by pinneyapple (5566 posts) -

i'm waiting till far cry 2, to be released, i finished far cry millions of times,, and really wanna see part 2 of it, specially they developed it by the cry engine 2,, it's gonna be awesome.Electric-Guitar

Yeah sorry to burst your bubble, but FC2 doesnt use Cry Engine 2 nor is made by Crytek.

#10 Posted by zxl (138 posts) -
Let us hope that Duke Nukem Forever gets done in this year.
#11 Posted by SKaREO (3161 posts) -
Severity is the only game with a hope to attract the current competitive FPS community that still plays CS/Q3A.
#12 Posted by Electric-Guitar (180 posts) -

[QUOTE="Electric-Guitar"]i'm waiting till far cry 2, to be released, i finished far cry millions of times,, and really wanna see part 2 of it, specially they developed it by the cry engine 2,, it's gonna be awesome.pinneyapple

Yeah sorry to burst your bubble, but FC2 doesnt use Cry Engine 2 nor is made by Crytek.

ok, if u didn't believe check this out to get your eyes open

Crytek Talks Crysis 2, Far Cry Movie and CryEngine 2 http://kotaku.com/354571/crytek-talks-crysis-2-far-cry-movie-and-cryengine-2

#13 Posted by kieranb2000 (7591 posts) -
[QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

[QUOTE="Electric-Guitar"]i'm waiting till far cry 2, to be released, i finished far cry millions of times,, and really wanna see part 2 of it, specially they developed it by the cry engine 2,, it's gonna be awesome.Electric-Guitar

Crytek Talks Crysis 2, Far Cry Movie and CryEngine 2 http://kotaku.com/354571/crytek-talks-crysis-2-far-cry-movie-and-cryengine-2

Did you even read that? It quite clearly says 'Yerli is looking forward to the new game from Ubisoft, which is being developed in Montreal.'

Ie. The game is being made by Ubisoft Montreal NOT Crytek.

#14 Posted by Dib9394 (27 posts) -
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky and Far Cry 2. They look so awesome!
#15 Posted by Grantelicious (1541 posts) -

Clear sky will probably end up as bad as the original STALKER because it's been too soon to make any real big changes on the original game which had sooo many problems and will probably cross over.

Episode 3 for me :) Valve never let us down.

#16 Posted by vash47 (2171 posts) -

If it makes it this year: Duke Nukem Forever

But my faith is in Project Origin.

#17 Posted by Meu2k7 (11809 posts) -

Clear sky will probably end up as bad as the original STALKER because it's been too soon to make any real big changes on the original game which had sooo many problems and will probably cross over.

Grantelicious

How do you work that out? its the same engine, theyve already improved it immensly ... they dont have to start from scratch like Shadows of Chernobyl, they have a bigger team adn a bigger budget.

STALKER was impressive for what it was.

#18 Posted by BlackAlpha666 (2614 posts) -

Grantelicious

They added DirectX10 graphics, next to all of the other stuff. That should proof that they aren't slow. And it sounds like they redid the whole gameplay of the game, with the capture territory and wage war thing.

[QUOTE="Electric-Guitar"][QUOTE="pinneyapple"]

[QUOTE="Electric-Guitar"]i'm waiting till far cry 2, to be released, i finished far cry millions of times,, and really wanna see part 2 of it, specially they developed it by the cry engine 2,, it's gonna be awesome.kieranb2000

Did you even read that? It quite clearly says 'Yerli is looking forward to the new game from Ubisoft, which is being developed in Montreal.'

Ie. The game is being made by Ubisoft Montreal NOT Crytek.

It's true. It's not being developed by Crytek. If you are looking for more info just search online. Many websites say that it's being developed by Ubi Montreal. Wikipedia for example. Just don't go to the official Far Cry 2 website unless you like point and click adventure games. What the hell is wrong with a simple, easy to use and accessible navigation menu on the left side of a page?

Anyway, I vote for Clear Sky because I'm hoping for a STALKER original with more features and it sounds like that's what I'll be getting. I don't really know how the other new games will play and whether they will be fun or not. But with Clear Sky, I sort of already know.

#20 Posted by solid_mario (3144 posts) -
Half-Life 2: Episode Three biggest_loser
Ye, but he said 2008, not 2035 :P
#21 Posted by Lehman (2512 posts) -
Far Cry 2, Rainbow Six Vegas 2

oh and Far Cry 2 uses the DUNIA engine NOT CryEngine 2
#22 Posted by Kh1ndjal (2479 posts) -
project origin for me
#23 Posted by mfsa (3328 posts) -

Project Origin, Far Cry 2 and Left 4 Dead are my most anticipated FPS games of 2008.

If I had to choose one, I'd play it safe and go for Project Origin - Monolith has proved itself half a dozen times over with various games (and technologies) of an exceptional standard, and PO seems to have all of the elements that made F.E.A.R one of my favourite shooters of all ever, but it seems even more refined and improved.

Left 4 Dead looks like pure awesomeness, though. Source? Check. Zombies? Check. Coop? Check. What more could we ask for? But the developer needs to prove itself before it gets a no-questions-asked vote of confidence... but now that it's under Valve's supervision, it's hard to imagine the game being anything but magnificent.

Far Cry 2 has by far the most potential of the three, though. A high budget free-roam FPS with cyclical, hierarchical AI, dynamic weather effects, procedural everythingness, fire!!!! and lots more... it just looks awesome. But it's Ubisoft and they have a hell of a lot to prove after their recent bad work, and there is also no real evidence to prove that large-scale free-roam FPS games actually play very well.

#24 Posted by CavalAnts (398 posts) -
Farcry 2 i guess and hope : )

and Left 4 dead, looks so great coop game to play with your friends. And not only for 2 players.
#25 Posted by kakishi1 (1065 posts) -
STALKER:clear skys, but i have my eye on Farcry2 and project:offset
#26 Posted by inoperativeRS (8844 posts) -
Clear Sky is what I'm looking forward to the most.
#27 Posted by sSubZerOo (43199 posts) -
Most excited for Project Origin, Natural Selection 2, and Left 4 Dead..
#28 Posted by Fr0st3d (432 posts) -
Far cry 2 seems fun but I played STALKER:SHOC and its an awesome game too so I dunno
#29 Posted by Naganox777 (236 posts) -
Probably Team Fortress 3, Half Life 3, Doom 4 or Quake 5. :P I'd have to say Far Cry 2.
#30 Posted by mracoon (967 posts) -
I going to go with Left 4 Dead, it looks really good and you can always trust Valve to make great games.
#31 Posted by OgreB (2523 posts) -

What...no love for Fallout 3 !

#32 Posted by johnny27 (4400 posts) -
im going to say far cry 2
#33 Posted by bangell99 (10568 posts) -

FAR CRY 2!!!!!!!!!!!

I have links to some pre-alpha footage on my blog, that you will want to check out!

#34 Posted by GTR2addict (11863 posts) -
dunno, but legendary: the box, and turning point: fall of liberty have a good chance as far as im concerned
#35 Posted by Swiftstrike5 (6950 posts) -

New Alien (AvP) game (if it comes out this year). Sci-fi ftw.

#36 Posted by ShotGunBunny (2196 posts) -
I'm hoping that Farcry turns out awesome, but it doesn't really matter, as long as there's good ones. :)
There's also this new game coming from the Dark Messiah team with the same combat system, DM is probably my fav action game, mainly because of the combat. So I'm looking out for that one, called The Crossing I believe.
#37 Posted by michael098 (3441 posts) -

Grantelicious

I thought STALKER was an awesome game.

#38 Posted by Whiteblade999 (5537 posts) -
Episode 3
#39 Posted by Grantelicious (1541 posts) -
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

michael098

Too broken.

#40 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
[QUOTE="michael098"][QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

Grantelicious

Too broken.

I had no problems iwth it.. amazing game and can't wait for Clear Sky.

Far Cry 2 is looking pretty stunning.. although its to early for me to tell which i think will be the top FPS for 2008.

#41 Posted by mo0ksi (12337 posts) -
[QUOTE="michael098"][QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

Grantelicious

Too broken.

They're called patches.
#42 Posted by colts99 (186 posts) -
LEFT4DEAD
#43 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
Clear Sky
#44 Posted by Grantelicious (1541 posts) -
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"][QUOTE="michael098"][QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

mo0ksi

Too broken.

They're called patches.

- No vehicles
- Hated all the loading times
- Was meant to be a open world and yet there was sooo many invisible walls and you had to runt hrough the checkpoint they wanted
- The map was annoying to use
- You'd aoften get lots of sidequests without knowing it and then you'd end up doing the side quests thinking it was the main story and it wasn't....
- The guns felt sooo horrible and so did the hit detection
- character models were poor
- death animations sucked
- made no sense to me why some people talked and had to read text for others
- In game exconomy is broken
- Side quests are pointless to do

etc etc.

#45 Posted by Qixote (10720 posts) -
Dead Space. Due out in the fall. Promising to be some sci-fi shooter goodness. Being made for pc, 360, and PS3.
#46 Posted by Vic_Vega1994 (1397 posts) -
Fallout 3
#47 Posted by sabbath2gamer (2515 posts) -

do they have any info on severity i mean romero only said a brief descritptionin that youtube vi

has it been canceld any links?