Best City-Builder?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Kant_think00 (1 posts) -

I recently got some money from my birthday and i dunno what game i should get. All i know is that id like some sort of a city builder like game. Any ideas?

#2 Posted by Volodnikov9 (1758 posts) -
What kind? A modern city builder like SimCity or one that takes place in ancient times?
#3 Posted by geitenvla (960 posts) -
If you like historical city building, I highly recommend Glory of the Roman empire. It scored low on gamespot, but I totaly disagree with that.

Click here for the gamespot review

Click here for my review
#4 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -
City Life: World Edition.
#5 Posted by Krall (16463 posts) -
If you like historical city building, I highly recommend Glory of the Roman empire. It scored low on gamespot, but I totaly disagree with that.

Click here for my review
geitenvla

hmm it got hammered, but it has a demo so I'll be trying it as I too love those types of game. Thanks :)

Simcity 4 + Rush hour is pretty good, it's a little more technical then the others in the series but it's also a lot deeper.

There's also Ceaser IV & CivCity: Rome which also add a bit of military on top of the city building.
#6 Posted by Ein-7919 (3490 posts) -
I know it's not exactly in the city-builder genre, but I personally consider Black and White 2 to be a city-builder with a pet and miracles.  I mean, come on!  You get points for building buildings...and in order to win as being a good god is to earn enough points to convert enemy villages.  If that's not a city-building game, I don't what is (well, city-building with a twist).

But, I suppose if you want more traditional city-builders:

Simcity 4 + Rush Hour
Caesar 3 (haven't played 4 yet)
Zeus
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
#7 Posted by indzman (19828 posts) -

Ceaser 4 .

#8 Posted by accord100 (442 posts) -
Ceasar 3
#9 Posted by geitenvla (960 posts) -
[QUOTE="geitenvla"]If you like historical city building, I highly recommend Glory of the Roman empire. It scored low on gamespot, but I totaly disagree with that.

Click here for my review
Krall

hmm it got hammered, but it has a demo so I'll be trying it as I too love those types of game. Thanks :)

Simcity 4 + Rush hour is pretty good, it's a little more technical then the others in the series but it's also a lot deeper.

There's also Ceaser IV & CivCity: Rome which also add a bit of military on top of the city building.

If you love these kind of games, I'm pretty sure you will like it. I might be a little pre-judged on the whole thing, 'cause I just love the Roman era. However, the game is not as bad as the gamespot reviews says and it certainly is worth a look. I've never played the demo though, so I don't know how cool that is but I think you can pick up this game pretty cheap.
#10 Posted by ADG_ (1654 posts) -
Best city builder is SimCity 4 deluxe (which includes the xpack Rush Hour), but you need some mods (like the pathfinding mod) to make it a great game (without the pathfinding mod the sims never uses highways and such)
#11 Posted by JJ_1 (911 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/anno1701/index.html

Great game. Much better than Sim City.

#12 Posted by ZJI (2006 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/anno1701/index.html

Great game. Much better than Sim City.

JJ_1
That game isn't even done. The AI is non-existant and the entire thing is a system hog. The only thing good about it is it looks pretty and is kind of quaint. Plus they simplified it GREATLY from the previous titles in the series.
#13 Posted by GeForce2187 (2963 posts) -
I'd say SimCity 4 and it's expansion pack.