This topic is locked from further discussion.

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 5

Edited By quakke

Poll Arena Shooters (34 votes)

I love em'. Quake 3/Unreal Tournament all the way. 79%
I never got to play them, i'm younger but i'd be interested in trying one if there was a recent release. 18%
I only play CoD/BF and not interested in anything else. 9%

How many of you are interested in Arena Shooters, especially a new Arena Shooter? (If you don't know what Arena Shooters are, then see the links below.)

Cliff Blezinski has expressed interest in making a new Arena Shooter since there hasn't been one in many many years. And one that's truly good, there hasn't been in 10+ years. Younger people haven't even never been given the chance to experience one, since all that has been made in recent years are your generic CoD/BF's and their clones. Though, on a side note, i'd like to mention that there are also couple of other games in developement, which names i ain't gonna mention since i don't wanna come out as a gossip

Quake 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5b_cTZzBw

Unreal Tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8LpZmJ_elk

• 
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

I loved UT2004 very much.

They were fast paced shooters, they've been replaced by games like CoD series and the new Titanfall, even the new BF games are faster paced than the oldies.

If a new cool game will come I'm sure gonna try it, but it has to offer something new and interesting, rather than just shinny graphics.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

nexuiz was supposed to be a good arena shooter, but it never took off. shootmania really interested me but the lack of rocket launchers and the classic arena shooter weapons put me off.

tribes ascend is the closest modern thing to a proper arena shooter for me because it melded amazing combat/weapons with amazing movement.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I played mostly UT2004 with some UT before that. Never got much into them because they were counter intuitive for me. Controlled movement makes you shoot and perform better not moving and jumping around like a lunatic. I preferred games like Rainbow Six, Medal of Honor, Delta Force that were more intuitive. So not greatly interested unless it offers some new mechanic.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#4 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Arena Shooters are awesome .

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Quake Live is still alive

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Why'd you post a link of an afk player?
CPMA, mod for q3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P6RZfSnu7E&t=40s

hal9000 is too raw

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

Yes please! I'd really love a new UT game.

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By quakke
Member since 2006 • 225 Posts

@bulby_g:
I bet you already know this, but just incase you don't know.

They are now making a new Unreal Tournament game and it's not gonna be free to play but free. Free as in, you don't have to pay for the game and there is no dumb locked stuff that must be bought, nope just totally free game. Not bad idea at all considering how it is like the first free fps ever from AAA development.

http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

@quakke: It will have paid content. It's too early to say whether it's free to play or not. Simply calling it free without knowing the actual business does not make it free.

Weird_Jerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Weird_Jerk
Member since 2010 • 646 Posts

I even liked the music in those old games lol. Nether Animal from that UT video was a pretty awesome track!

Needless to say, if UT4 returns to its roots, I will be a very happy camper.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Speaking of which, this fall should be pretty good because of upcoming arena shooters.

Toxikk, Reflex, and the new UT are all solid contenders.

Reflex

Toxikk

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58965 Posts

Enjoyed Tribes. Shame they abandoned it.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#13 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I loved the shit out of Shootmania Storm but absolutely no one played it.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

Still play lots of Quake III, UT 2004, UT III.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Quake 3 and TF2 for me!!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

I enjoy arena shooters if I'm playing them exclusively with people I know, otherwise I'm not the biggest fan. I enjoy more casual-competitive game experiences as opposed to purely competitive ones. The most competitive games I'll play are Starcraft 2, Dota 2, and Street Fighter. These games have a lot more casual players though so I can just hop in, play, and have a fun, balanced playing experience. The people who tend to play arena shooters are the people who go all-out and constantly play them as if they're playing on a team for a real life sport - so they're not really great games to jump in and play because you'll be stuck with a bunch of players who do nothing but play arena shooters and constantly hone their skills. Even arena shooters with matchmaking are prone to veterans who just make alts and dominate newbs because they have nothing else better to do (like Jiggly).

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By quakke

@KHAndAnime said:

I enjoy arena shooters if I'm playing them exclusively with people I know, otherwise I'm not the biggest fan. I enjoy more casual-competitive game experiences as opposed to purely competitive ones. The most competitive games I'll play are Starcraft 2, Dota 2, and Street Fighter. These games have a lot more casual players though so I can just hop in, play, and have a fun, balanced playing experience. The people who tend to play arena shooters are the people who go all-out and constantly play them as if they're playing on a team for a real life sport - so they're not really great games to jump in and play because you'll be stuck with a bunch of players who do nothing but play arena shooters and constantly hone their skills. Even arena shooters with matchmaking are prone to veterans who just make alts and dominate newbs because they have nothing else better to do (like Jiggly).

Toxikk is one of the upcoming games that is going to have an matchmaking system and i really hope ppl don't just make some "alts". Seriously, the ppl who make alts just to screw around, are kinda pathetic imo.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I wouldn't mind a good Unreal Tournament title being released on the new engine :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

you don't have the correct poll answer in there, wich is "I used to love them to death, until better shooters (mainly BF) came along".

i mean i loved Quake and UT very much, but they are way too boring today. that's also the reason UT3 failed. it was too same-old-same-old.

e: some purist will definetly rage about that "better shooters" part. this is my opinion. keep your purist-rage away. more fun > more competetive.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

I love em especialy unreal tournament series. I still play 2k4 from time to time. Hell i even play UT 99 with A.i bots on highest difficult and is a blast ( which makes me wonder what the hell happened to A.I in games when a 1999 game has A.I. much better than anything today )

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

Arena Shooters are the only multiplayer FPS I ever enjoyed.

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By quakke

@groowagon said:

you don't have the correct poll answer in there, wich is "I used to love them to death, until better shooters (mainly BF) came along".

i mean i loved Quake and UT very much, but they are way too boring today. that's also the reason UT3 failed. it was too same-old-same-old.

e: some purist will definetly rage about that "better shooters" part. this is my opinion. keep your purist-rage away. more fun > more competetive.

You put there some stuff that makes no sense.

New fps hold your hand and have all kinds of randomness to make the "experienced player - casual player" gap as small as possible. These games tend be very dull for the player who is seeking for a game that has multiple layers in it. Learning how basic things work, learning weapon differences etc, learning advanced movement, learning to move fluidly in the maps.. and finally, mastering the game. New fps doesn't offer this, since they've been made for a wide public, people who have never played videogames before and thus the games don't really have any different layers in it.

If they had different layers in it, then they'd be gambling on the casual player possibly struggling in the game, or being able to handle the difficulty also. But modern AAA developers don't dare to take this risk of catering to experienced players because nowadays it's all about the money when it comes to AAA games. And really it's not even up to the devs how a game is gonna be, publishers control nowadays how the game will end up since they are funding these developments.

quakke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 quakke

@jimmy_russell said:

I would never waste my money on a game that belongs in the 90s.

You can elaborate on your opinnions or totally keep them to yourself.

Sounds like you just don't even like this genre, since i sense so much hate in your post.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

The people posting don't know enough about arena shooters. They think deathmatch/tdm are what they are about.

In Quake Live you have: clan arena, ctf, and duel. They have way more complexity than the default gametypes, but most people don't play them.

Clan arena in particular is my favorite, start with all weapons and it's round based with no items on the map. It's a lot like S&D in COD.

Arena shooters are lot more tactical than games like BF and CS GO at the high level. Duel you have to time items in your head very well. e.g mega health spawned at 2:47, which means it respawns at 3:22. Then you also have to time the red armor at the same time. Some duelers can time 3 items at once, this is pretty hard.

For clan arena you have to have very good positioning, map navigation, and aim. CTF is a bit of both.

Games like CS:GO purposely have bad netcode and RNG for the aiming. It's because it's the most fun to casual players. If your bullets had a consistent spray pattern(64 tick lol) then good aimers would be overpowered. Combine that with flash grenades and smoke and your game is just RNG. Also with skins(this is when CS:GO got really popular) and you have the most popular fps game on pc by a huge margin. CS 1.6 is much better in all regards as a game, but it's a lot less popular because it's a lot more skill based.

I just started playing the game's competitive matchmaking, and the most times you die are when you are flashed or shot from behind. The hitreg is horrible. Of course if you get in a gunfight with DMGs they can't hit you.

BF3 is a good mixture, I don't have any real problems with it. BF4 is lol.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

Since I am young, I never got to play many of the arena games in their prime. Hopefully there will be a renaissance soon with the release of the new Unreal Tournament game.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@jimmy_russell said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
CS 1.6 is much better in all regards as a game, but it's a lot less popular because it's a lot more skill based.

It's less poopular because it's old, Counter-Strike was interesting when it was new, in 1999. Today? *yawn*

Can I ask what game/s you actually DO like Jimmy?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JigglyWiggly_

@jimmy_russell said:

@JigglyWiggly_ said:
CS 1.6 is much better in all regards as a game, but it's a lot less popular because it's a lot more skill based.

It's less poopular because it's old, Counter-Strike was interesting when it was new, in 1999. Today? *yawn*

What exactly has changed between cs go and 1.6 gameplay wise?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I still have my Quake 2 and Unreal Tournament (1999) CDs. I love Quake 2 to death. I also liked Unreal Tournament. But, I only played it for a little bit before burnout set in.

If the new UT is free, I hope it has LAN support. I like the old days when I can see the people I'm playing against (usually relatives). LANfests used to be a family thing, at least among us guys.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Reflex is now in Early Access http://store.steampowered.com/app/328070/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Unreal Tournament is in its concept art stage.

No news on Project Bluestreak.