Any1 else feel ripped off about old republic?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

I brought this game at release 1 year ago and now its going free to play? Not only that i remember paying alot more than normal for a PC game due to development costs. I wouldn't be so pissed if facking EA/bioware give me something back. A couple monthssubscription time or credits. Anything to say i didn't waste £38.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
I'm almost ashamed to play the game your avatar represents. You are getting stuff and it's a subscription MMO, if you were fine with that when you bought it, where does this way of thinking of yours come from?
PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]I'm almost ashamed to play the game your avatar represents. You are getting stuff and it's a subscription MMO, if you were fine with that when you bought it, where does this way of thinking of yours come from?

Im fine with paying for a game and subscription. Im not fine with it going free so you don't even have to buy the game.
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

lulz its not that bad and if you continue to pay its a much better game than the free evrsion.

free mode is like me crip[pling your game account every day.. jsut not a very nice thing to live with

C_Glass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C_Glass
Member since 2010 • 259 Posts

any mmo that is not wow wont be able to compete in this tough economy at full cost.... so no, people who pay for mmos out the gate know that they could get a better deal if they waited a few months.

That said I believe Bioware is giving free credits to past subscribers, depending on long you were subbed.

W1ndstryke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 W1ndstryke
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Old Republic was supposed to be a single player game anyway, making it into an MMO was a mistake in itself; Trying to monkey off of WoW was another as many tried to do that in the past and failed because WoW in itself isn't that great a game, it's mainly still alive because people have friends and characters they've been attached to for 8 years. If we don't count all those and pretend they all leave to do something better with their spare time, WoW would probably not have as much as 2 million people playing. Which is why any attempt at copying it fails. It's a very outdated game and there's very little that can redeem that formula. So yes, I do feel ripped off - not because it went free but because it went MMO to begin with.
lambalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 lambalot
Member since 2004 • 1798 Posts

Many of us said it would go Free to Play before it even released. They should of just made a single player game, it certainly felt like one when i was in Beta.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

You might already know this but I don't see any indication in your O.P. that you do, so just to clarify. People will still have to buy the game just like you bought the game. The free part comes in the monthly subscription fees I believe.

And me? Yeah. I cut my gaming teeth on MMOs. Paid $15 per month from 2004 to 2008 to play City of Heroes and City of Villains. Loved it! It didn't cost me money! It saved me money in not going out with trust-fund metrosexual kids spending $70 per night at the club. But also, I didn't play any other video games so I didn't have $40-for-this-other-game costs or $50-for-this-game costs. it was just that $15 every month and I really had fun with that mmo for the monthly cost.

But now? Most games have multiplayer included free with the one-time cost. These multiplayers have increased graphics and realism so it is tough for MMOs. The only advantage the MMOs have over multiplayer is the sense of community and they inexplicably p*ssed that away based on my experiences with: Age of Conan, EvE Online, Champions-Online, Star Wars the Old Republic, and DC Universe Online. Teaming was awkward in those MMOs.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DanielDust
You might already know this but I don't see any indication in your O.P. that you do, so just to clarify. People will still have to buy the game just like you bought the game. The free part comes in the monthly subscription fees I believe.Fire_Wa11
Completely free, only thing you will buy is its currency to purchase unlocks or services, they will give those that bought it a certain amount of those coins.
Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

[QUOTE="Fire_Wa11"]You might already know this but I don't see any indication in your O.P. that you do, so just to clarify. People will still have to buy the game just like you bought the game. The free part comes in the monthly subscription fees I believe.DanielDust
Completely free, only thing you will buy is its currency to purchase unlocks or services, they will give those that bought it a certain amount of those coins.

:o

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

I felt ripped off when they broke the sound in the game, then acted like the fixed it when they didn't.

That was when patch 1.2 came out, I was subbed from launch until about 2 months after that patch came out.

$15 a month is supposed to keep things like that in order.

That being said, MMOs seem to be becoming less, and less interesting to me.

The only one I am even interested in lately is Mechwarrior. (and it rides a thin line)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Yea, this free-to-play crap is a bit of a rip off to people who bought the games. For example - I bought Age of Conan, but because I'm not paying a subscription free, my account is the equivalent to one that's free-to-play.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Yea, this free-to-play crap is a bit of a rip off to people who bought the games. For example - I bought Age of Conan, but because I'm not paying a subscription free, my account is the equivalent to one that's free-to-play. KHAndAnime

lol

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Nah i really got my moneys worth out of it for awhile..After six, seven months i quit the game..It just has nothing to offer after awhile..Most boring mmorpg ive played in awhile..Was running raids for awhile..My old guildies didnt want to help any one else otther than themselfs..Its the only thing that kept me going for awhile..After that i just let it go..Id rather play skyrim or some thing ..

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

I am fine with it. Hell, I am even going to keep subscribing, my faith in and enjoyment of the game is that high.

No one should feel ripped off.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HyperWarlock

Game isn't F2P yet and servers are jam packed

http://www.swtor.com/server-status

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

Don't pre-purchase games and don't buy games on release date, they'll learn.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DanielDust

HyperWarlock

Why are there 10 times fewer (literally) servers than they were before?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

HyperWarlock

> jam packed

same server status labels as they were a month ago when I still played and it was rather empty and everyone was an idiot.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HyperWarlock

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"] Why are there 10 times fewer (literally) servers than they were before?

DanielDust

They removed a lot of them as they added too many at launch and it split the userbase.

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

wis3boi

> jam packed

same server status labels as they were a month ago when I still played and it was rather empty and everyone was an idiot.

400 people on the fleet as I speak.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#21 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="PCgameruk"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]I'm almost ashamed to play the game your avatar represents. You are getting stuff and it's a subscription MMO, if you were fine with that when you bought it, where does this way of thinking of yours come from?

Im fine with paying for a game and subscription. Im not fine with it going free so you don't even have to buy the game.

If you have been playing it for a year I would say you got your money's worth, I only played it for a month.....I should be the one qq about it.
scotty992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 scotty992
Member since 2005 • 2388 Posts
First game I ever preordered nothing but disappoint came from it.
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

Tortanic was a terrible MMO from the day it was released until this very minute. It was developed by Bioware so what did you expect really?

The game flopped harder than a fish out of water. It brought nothing new to the table, had a terrible world with boundaries, boring boring classes, junk combat system, gross artstyle, etc.

Star Wars Galaxies was 10x the game SWTOR is.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Not ripped off but I feel there were some things that could have been done better, or things that could have been included to make it better.

For example, Night and Day Cycle would have been great. Imagine traveling through those deserts at night.....scary.

The choice system is pretty good since it leads to some different experiences, but they shouldn't show what the result is (dark or light), and let players just choose for themselves (I have it turned off).

All in all, it's nothing revolutionary but it isn't as bad as BioWare Haters make it out to be (look above). The Main Characters Stories are pretty good mostly. And it's great to just be a character in the SW Universe.

It plays more like an Online KOTOR than an MMO.

@Lach: Have u tried SWTOR lately with that sound issue? It's so weird.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wis3boi

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

They removed a lot of them as they added too many at launch and it split the userbase.

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

HyperWarlock

> jam packed

There were more last time I played, and out in the world it was a ghost town.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

> jam packed

wis3boi

There were more last time I played, and out in the world it was a ghost town.

There's heaps of people still playing, but they are concentrated on 3 or 4 servers. Answering all the complaints at launch and putting more servers was BioWare's mistake, because it made the population spread out. I'm sure once the F2P model is introduced there will be an influx of players.
V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
I felt ripped off when I got to max level, because it was just a total grind when you got there in PVP, and the class balancing was really bad.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

DanielDust

So the overall population isn't spread thin like it was since launch. That's about the only smart move they made but it's rather too late.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Don't worry it's "free to play" is more like "you can hardly play any of this game" cuts half of the races, few dungeons/pvp/raids per week. It's one of the worst Free to Play deals I've ever seen.

Also, I got it Free to Play a while ago, played the beta! Knew it wasn't for me after that.

----

One of the single biggest problems with the game (besides that failed abortion of a game engine) was it "tried" to be a normal grindy MMO after lvl 16. Up 'til that point, it was a great game (on Sith Inquisitor, not Jedi ::shudders::), but after that it just goes to a crappy world story and 2 character-story quests per zone.

gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts
I don't feel ripped off. Played it for 2 months straight just about and no other MMO has ever gotten my attention like that. I enjoyed it and don't regret paying a dime at all.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="HyperWarlock"]

Elann2008

So the overall population isn't spread thin like it was since launch. That's about the only smart move they made but it's rather too late.

Well, I got answers, but I wasn't asking :P. It has some players, but it having only a few servers left means nobody wanted to play it, only those that have nothing better to do remained, it is a terrible game in any way possible. Only played till level 20 and tried a max level character (a friend that also got disgusted by it after less than a month made it all possible), but I can easily say it was worse than any random Asian F2P trash MMO and it will only get wose with F2P, I personally wouldn't be able to stand the WoW trial with its limitation, what EA plans with SWTOR is a disaster tho I guess it will get a few more players, cheap people have a lot of willpower otherwise 99.9% of the available MMOs would be dead.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
No of course not, I got well over 100 hours I believe playing that game.. And I may come back some day down the road..
SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
Electronic Arts, man. Stay the hell away from them.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

It's a terrible, terrible game that shouldn't exist.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

I bought the game at launch, had at least three months of subscription (which ended in me not being able to play because of my computers specs).

Got to level 25, to say the least if I had the computer at the time I would have finished to end game, but hopefully I'll be able to on the free to play and maybe I'll get something after having paid almost $100 for one of the worst gaming experiences in my entire life.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

xLittlekillx

Not really. It's pretty good. People really seem to love to hate TOR though. It's not the greatest MMO out right now, but it has some excellent features that now when I play other MMOs I really miss.

Dialogue options

Choices/Morality system

Well done fully voiced quests and cut-scenes

An interesting class quest that takes you from level 1-50

Interesting companions

Essentially it has the best levelling experience in any modern MMO right now. And with F2P that's what you get when you play. PVP is good too, I wouldn't sub just for PVP though, but I enjoy it. Never played any endgame but I hear there's some fun to be had there also.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DanielDust
Not sure if serious, dialogue options? (2 retaretc and one decent), (<-) choices?, well done fully voiced quests? (it's an abomination, some NPCs have decent voice acting, but a lot of the characters and especially your own are unbearable), interesting quests? (most I did was grinding for the sake of it, kill 40 this, kill 60 that), if this were the best leveling experience I'd have quit gaming a long time ago.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts

Not sure if serious, dialogue options? (2 retaretc and one decent), (<-) choices?, well done fully voiced quests? (it's an abomination, some NPCs have decent voice acting, but a lot of the characters and especially your own are unbearable), interesting quests? (most I did was grinding for the sake of it, kill 40 this, kill 60 that), if this were the best leveling experience I'd have quit gaming a long time ago.DanielDust

1. Dialogue options - Yes! Dialogue options, you know those things where you can choose what your character says? SWTOR has them! I have no idea what you mean by ' 2 retaretc and on decent' but I'll assume you think the dialogue options suck. Well, I don't. And I seem to miss them when I play other MMOs, it makes the experience of questing feel more involved.

2. Choices - Yes! Another thing I said that you chose to repeat with a question mark at the end! You also used some kind of code that I can't really decipher. "(<-)'? SWTOR has interesting choices that involve a morality scale or just dialogue choices. Kind of like another BioWare game set in the Star Wars universe.These choices make the leveling process replayable.

3. Fully voiced - Wowee! Another one of my quotes with a question mark. Now, an abomination? No, GW2 voice acting is an abomination. SWTOR has some of the industry leaders in VG voice acting doing the main characters (Jennifer Hale, David Hayter, Nolan North) and you say they are bad? Well an opinion is an opinion but you couldn't really be more wrong in my opinion. SWTOR has fantastic voice actors. And almost every quest is fully voiced. Yes. Fully voiced by great voice actors.

4. Class quest - Dang, you misquoted me! And you were on a roll. What I said was that the class quests are good. Not just "Quests" as you thought I said. The class quests are quite good.

Now, I'm not a fanboy. I played WoW for 5 years and I plan on picking up MoP sometime soon. And I don't play SWTOR right now. I'm going to check it out again when the F2P patch rolls around. But SWTOR has good things going for it. If you choose not to believe that, then that's fine. I don't really care. Just thought I should clarify some of the stuff I said and let you know that I am srs.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
[QUOTE="PCgameruk"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]I'm almost ashamed to play the game your avatar represents. You are getting stuff and it's a subscription MMO, if you were fine with that when you bought it, where does this way of thinking of yours come from?

Its just like buying a brand spanking new game for $60 then seeing steam sell it for $3 a year later. Get over it. You got your moneys worth.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside
I really don't understand the hate it gets, it's like KOTOR 3 Online with a massive world and you even get to experience it with friends if you want to. (I understand some things could have been better, and other things are under-used)
jakes456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jakes456
Member since 2011 • 1398 Posts

xLittlekillx

nail on the head. All that money for one of the worst releases in the last 5 years. Possibly the worst MMO, if you can even call it that, of all time.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wis3boi

I really don't understand the hate it gets, it's like KOTOR 3 Online with a massive world and you even get to experience it with friends if you want to. (I understand some things could have been better, and other things are under-used)FelipeInside

my enjoyment of the story part was hampered by poor class mechanics, a bad community, poor performance issues, and a feelinging of a bad grind. My favorite part of the whole game was the 4man flashpoints

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I had a look at the costs for unlocking the restrictions on fansites. If you add up all the costs just for unlocking leveling/questing restrictions, no cosmetic stuff at all, it comes out to around $80. And somehow you think $60 is a lot more than $80? The benefit now of course is no subcription fee, but there's still some things you can't unlock like the reduced xp gain and only 2 character slots. Also, most games don't stay full price after release. They go down fast. Only top sellers like Skyrim or Call of Duty stay full price. Most games, especially ones like SWTOR that are desperate for subscriptions, drop within 6 months to at least half price and more with sales.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#44 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

Yeah I paid for the CE and only played for the one month, but then again I also beta tested the game 5 months prior to release too. It was a decent game but it could have been so much more. I just wish Bioware would have took more of a risk and broke away from the WoW formula.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

Yeah I paid for the CE and only played for the one month, but then again I also beta tested the game 5 months prior to release too. It was a decent game but it could have been so much more. I just wish Bioware would have took more of a risk and broke away from the WoW formula.

THGarrett
I agree, they should start taking risks NOW.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I really don't understand the hate it gets, it's like KOTOR 3 Online with a massive world and you even get to experience it with friends if you want to. (I understand some things could have been better, and other things are under-used)

It's like KOTOR 3, except without anything that makes the KOTOR games good. :P I honestly can't even fathom how you can compare it to the KOTOR games.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]I really don't understand the hate it gets, it's like KOTOR 3 Online with a massive world and you even get to experience it with friends if you want to. (I understand some things could have been better, and other things are under-used)

It's like KOTOR 3, except without anything that makes the KOTOR games good. :P I honestly can't even fathom how you can compare it to the KOTOR games.

Then don't fathom.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 wis3boi

Just thought I'd bump this and share my experience with swtor's free (well, premium for me) option since it opened up today.

Do not waste your time unless you sub, honestly. It's a really really poorly done model. Screen is covered in "Buy this sh!t now!" buttons and is not very playable to free players. The half XP rewards and the lack of UI buttons makes getting through content a horrible experience. The outrageous store prices for 'features' don't really help the matter at all. Overall a very poor impression and nobody ingame was thrilled with the changes, not even subbers.

AjaxNeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#49 AjaxNeron
Member since 2009 • 2318 Posts

I told my friend I thought it would go free-to-play the day before they announced it would go free-to-play. I feel pretty good about that, but overall I feel pretty bad about subscribing. I really couldn't get into it. It felt like a really half-assed job (especially the space-fight rail simulators...).

SG-Tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 SG-Tank
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Well, I gotta say it isn't too bad. It could be better.